Start by marking “A Calculus of Angels (Age of Unreason, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Calculus of Angels (Age of Unreason, #2)

A Calculus of Angels (Age of Unreason #2)

1722: A second Dark Age looms. An asteroid has devastated the Earth, called down by dire creatures who plot against the world of men. The brilliant-- some say mad--Isaac Newton has taken refuge in ancient Prague. There, with his young apprentice Ben Franklin, he plumbs the secrets of the aetheric beings who have so nearly destroyed humanity.

But their safety is tenuous. Pet
Published February 29th 2000 by Del Rey (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Calculus of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Calculus of Angels

Sep 19, 2016 Marijan rated it really liked it
Drugi nastavak ne gubi na dinamici, tu padaju carstva, mijenjanu se stranme, kroje sudbine...idemo dalje
Feb 21, 2012 Pickleman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Greg Terri August
So far, having finished the first two books in this series ("Newton's Cannon" being the first), it has been a very enjoyable experience. It sounds crazy, I suppose, to have Sir Issac Newton and Ben Franklin as major characters in an alternate history/science fiction yarn with some really wild and crazy gadgets thrown in, but it's really a hoot! Lots of other characters that are really enjoyable and likable, plus some really bad-ass entities make this an extremely satisfying read. Plan to read al ...more
Joel Flank
Aug 15, 2015 Joel Flank rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful exploration of a world where Isaac Newton discovered how to use scientific principles to manipulate the aether, and create a super-science revolution.

Two years has passed since French philosopher-scientists brought a comet from the heavens to obliterate the city of London. No one predicted the nuclear winter like conditions that cooled the entire planet, impacting crops and weather around the world. Nor did anyone predict the chaos of war that would be unleashed on Europe. Fran
Apr 28, 2013 Adysnewbox rated it liked it
This was a much more "fun" read than its predeccesor, if a little less intellectual. I enjoyed the steampunk-y world set up in "Newton's Cannon," and after the intense finale of that book, it made sense to have everything in the sequel be a disorganized, chaotic mess. I never thought I'd read a "post-apocalyptic Revolutionary War-era" novel, but now I can proudly say that I have! The premise: What would happen if there was a "nuclear option" in the warfare of this time period? How would that wor ...more
Le premier tome de cette uchronie est bien écrit. Tellement bien, même, qu’il semble difficile à l’auteur de tenir la distance dans un second tome. Et effectivement, il n’y arrive pas. Bien sûr, la France livrée au barbares a tout lieu d’inquiéter, et certaines scènes (notamment celles dans ce qui reste de l’Angleterre) sont assez effrayantes. Il y a néanmoins quelques jolies scènes, comme l’attaque finale de Venise, qui ne peut pas laisser indifférent. Il n’en reste pas moins que j’ai trouvé ce ...more
Robert Negut
Dec 31, 2012 Robert Negut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ideas are certainly interesting, though I'm not exactly fond of the whole religious note. The writing can occasionally leave a little to be desired, but there are also really nice moments, especially during dialogs. In all, not exactly something I ended up being enthusiastic about, but a good book nevertheless, and one that I'm sure was a whole lot more work than it appears, as alternative history always is, even when you don't try to turn all known science on its head, create your own and a ...more
May 02, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok this one took longer for me to get in to even though the action took place a lot quicker than the first. Again many historical characters have been drawn in to the storyline but apart from that the story gets even more fantastic - new characters are brought in and old ones leave the stage - there are 2 more books in the series you can see things even though chaotic enough here are drawing to an even larger more cataclysmic conclusion - however now i am actually looking forward to reading the ...more
Apr 12, 2010 Tbloxham rated it liked it
While still an amusing trip through a weird alternate europe I begin to see problems with the number of characters being strung together. Adrienne especially seems annoying and superfluous, as she serves only to be awesome at everything without good reason. Still, barring that this is a very enjoyable work.
Sep 29, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing
The second in an old, favorite series. I like the way the author mixes magic, science, and religion into a wholly believable alternate universe, one in which Ben a Franklin is called upon to defend Venice from the flying ships of of the Tsar. Think of it as a kind of proto-Steampunk. It's a quick, fun read.
Oct 31, 2007 Tal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
more alt. history

it is 1722 and a second Dark Age looms after the devestating impact of an asteroid, unnaturally drawn to Earth by dire creatures plotting against the humanity.

book 2 of 4. like it's predecessor, although it's not a long book, it is a slow weighty tome. it's a book to be carefully considered, rather than a flighty jaunt.

Mar 03, 2008 Boyd rated it really liked it
This was a great alternative history/fantasy series. You have to read all of them to get the full picture. But I think the first one is still the best book. Although, this book was a real turning point for the story. So much happens, and is revealed in this volume.
Gregor Xane
Jan 24, 2011 Gregor Xane rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This was a very entertaining action-adventure story. I felt it was much more exciting than the first book in the series. I'll certainly be looking to pick up the next two books in the series after reading this one.
Jul 05, 2011 Kathi rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction

Some of the plot twists were a little hard for me to follow and the whole story line with Red Shoes is beyond me, I must confess. But I am fascinated with the Ben Franklin/Isaac Newton and Adrienne/Crecy storylines and, of course, all the clever inventions. Ready to dive into the next book.
Oct 30, 2008 Fatbaldguy60 rated it liked it
The same as the first one, I liked this better the second itme around. There is just so much to absorb that I guess it took more reading. I generally prefer not to do this, but these were good reads.
Monica Cook
Mar 10, 2016 Monica Cook rated it really liked it
The amount of research that would have gone into writing this series is astounding. The second book is as good as the first, even if it does get a tad bogged down in scientific theory at times. If you like alternative history, give this series a go!
Artorius Rex
Aug 19, 2011 Artorius Rex rated it liked it
Liked it, but not as much as the first one. The book needs to concentrate more on just Ben and/or Adrienne.
May 04, 2010 !Tæmbuŝu marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Jun 11, 2008 Bax rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
top shelf alternative history/fantasy.

Newton and Liebnitz as feuding magicians- what more do you want?
Arnoud Visser
Actually, it is the second time I read this book. Yet, the world created in this book is so fantastic, that I couldn't remember where the book was heading until the end.
Adam Cardew
Adam Cardew rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Juho Juutilainen
Juho Juutilainen rated it liked it
May 19, 2013
Brock Williams
Brock Williams rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2009
AT rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2007
Deep rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2012
Zach rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2013
David Hutchings
David Hutchings rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2013
David Destrato
David Destrato rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Mike Fitz
Mike Fitz rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Steve Brustuen
Steve Brustuen rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Liselot rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • The Wild Machines
  • The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)
  • Heart of Light (Magical British Empire, #1)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • The Grand Ellipse
  • Heart of Iron
  • Lightbringers and Rainmakers
  • The Steel Tsar (Oswald Bastable, #3)
  • Resurrection Day
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero
  • The Kingdom Beyond the Waves (Jackelian, #2)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • The Shadow of Ararat (Oath of Empire #1)
  • The Peshawar Lancers
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • Back in the USSA
Gregory Keyes is a writer of science fiction and fantasy who has written both original and media-related novels under both the names J. Gregory Keyes and "Greg Keyes".

Greg Keyes was born in to a large, diverse, storytelling family. He received degrees in anthropology from Mississippi State and the University of George before becoming a fulltime writer.
He lives in Savannah, Georgia.
More about Greg Keyes...

Age of Unreason (4 books)
  • Newton's Cannon (Age of Unreason, #1)
  • Empire of Unreason (Age of Unreason, #3)
  • The Shadows of God (Age of Unreason, #4)