The Shadows of God (Age of Unreason, #4)

The Shadows of God (Age of Unreason #4)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  13 reviews
�INVENTIVE AND EXCITING, FILLED WITH CLEVER DETAILS AND HIGH ADVENTURE, this brings to a close a sequence that seems likely to establish Keyes as one of the more significant and original new fantasy writers to appear in recent years.�
�Science Fiction Chronicle

As the ruthless forces of Russia lay waste to the New World, English troops make landfall in the east, determ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published October 1st 2002 by Del Rey (first published 2001)

Adysnewbox
A big, wild, somewhat messy conclusion to a mostly-pretty-fun alternative history series. There's something sublimely silly in a tale where Benjamin Franklin hijacks submarines, dodges death rays, and zaps demon robots with electricity (HA!).

I think the book plays it a LITTLE safe. **MILD SPOILER** This may sound morbid, but given the stakes of the story, too many of the main characters survive! I can think off the top of my head of at least two or three characters that, by all rights, should h...more
Nicolas
Après trois tomes de destructions massives, que pouvait-on encore espérer d’un auteur souhaitant terminer avec style son épopée ? Personnellement, j’aurais apprécié une conclusion aussi inattendue que certaines prémices de ce pavé. Malheureusement, il semble cette fois-ci que Keyes, contrairement à certains personnages de son récit, ait épuisé toute sa chance et en soit réduit aux vieilles recettes de la bataille finale(1). Et c’est bien malheureux, après toute l’inventivité déployée dans les to...more
Kathi
For the most part, I thought this was a satisfying conclusion to the series, although I'm still not exactly sure what happened, especially to Red Shoes.

I have not read a lot of alternate history-type books and I kept trying to fit the alternate history with actual history--which obviously, doesn't work very well. No fault of the author or the story, just my perspective.

I kept thinking this series would make a good movie--then I could see all the inventions (and the malakim) that I sometimes had...more
Robert Negut
This book is just a maelstrom. It brings the whole series together, all the characters together, for one fight, one purpose, one deciding moment. There are still far too many lucky coincidences, far too many characters survive when they shouldn't have, too many things happen that shouldn't happen, the writing still isn't as good as it should be... But there comes a moment when none of that matters anymore, when you see how everything comes together and are drawn inside that maelstrom yourself. T...more
Violetta
I finally finished the series! I think I liked this one the best of the four, since we finally had answers to so many questions. It also featured the most action of any of them, and didn't spend so much time digressing in random alchemical or theological debate (he had three books to clear up that mess).
Artorius Rex
I'm ready for it to be over. Two books in it was OK, but after the last two books I'm ready for it to stop.

This series of books declined in interest and focus after the second book. The only thing I can be glad of is that the remaining loose ends were cleaned up, just not via an enjoyable journey.
Eli
The Age of Unreason concluded much as I thought it would, but it was thoroughly enjoyable just the same. The series would probably have been better with a little tightening up to make a trilogy, but the pace and length of the series overall were fine.
Andy
A fitting end to the series.

Although end result was predictable, how it happened, imho, wasn't.

The action moved forwards at a good pace.

Overall a good read, enjoyed it.
Boyd
This was a great alternative history/fantasy series. You have to read all of them to get the full picture. But I think the first one is still the best book.
Bax
Jun 11, 2008 Bax rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Suffers from Series Fatigue- not quite up to the high standard of the earlier books.
Sandro
My first steampunk novel. As a scientist I loved it very much.

Tal
a pretty cool ending to the series
António Canto
António Canto marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Herr Lemmy
Herr Lemmy marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Salman Titas
Salman Titas marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Elizabeth Below
Elizabeth Below marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
stephan
stephan marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Vincent Van Dyck
Vincent Van Dyck marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Salimbol
Salimbol marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • The Steel Tsar (Oswald Bastable, #3)
  • Carthage Ascendant (Book of Ash, #2)
  • The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)
  • Gears of the City
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Heart of Light (Magical British Empire, #1)
  • Pasquale's Angel
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • The Grand Ellipse
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • The Witches of Chiswick
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • Seven for a Secret (New Amsterdam, #2)
  • The Dark Deeps (The Hunchback Assignments, #2)
  • Fitzpatrick's War
  • Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance
Gregory Keyes is a writer of science fiction and fantasy who has written both original and media-related novels under both the names J. Gregory Keyes and "Greg Keyes".

Greg Keyes was born in to a large, diverse, storytelling family. He received degrees in anthropology from Mississippi State and the University of George before becoming a fulltime writer.
He lives in Savannah, Georgia.
More about Greg Keyes...
The Briar King (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #1) Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7) Rebirth (Edge of Victory, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8) The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2) The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)