Start by marking “The Pulpwood Queen's Tiara-Wearing, Book-Sharing Guide to Life” as Want to Read:
The Pulpwood Queen's Tiara-Wearing, Book-Sharing Guide to Life

The Pulpwood Queen's Tiara-Wearing, Book-Sharing Guide to Life

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  40 reviews
When licensed cosmetologist turned publisher's rep Kathy Patrick lost her job due to industry cutbacks, she wasn't deterred. One year later, she opened Beauty and the Book, the world's only combination beauty salon/bookstore. Soon after, she founded The Pulpwood Queens of East Texas -- a reading group that dared to ask the question, "Does a book club have to be snobby to b ...more
Published January 2nd 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about The Pulpwood Queen's Tiara-Wearing, Book-Sharing Guide to Life

Susan
Great book! Lots of recommendations left me w/a million more books to add to my "to-read" list. The author of this book is an over-the-top die-hard reader and tireless advocate for reading and literacy programs as well as a whacky chick in the way only Southern woman can be. Great recipes, quotes, booklists and outlook on life. I cant wait to dig in to the MANY books w/an especially Southern twist that Kathy reccomends. And the great quote on literacy-"The man who does not read has no advantage ...more
Carolyn Wesley
There is so so much I'd like to say about this book but my time is limited. But what I can say is that I adore Kathy's storytelling, humble servanthood spirit. She is so full of vibrance, love for others(which I adore) LIFE and style...Leopard Print/Diamond Tiara Style! I love that. I loved how she shared her life through unique chapter titles and the books she shares in each one...not to mention the quotes. I was shaking my head in agreement and could relate to her and felt like I was listening ...more
Tabby Kat
One part memoir, one part inspirational how-to-be-happy-and-do-unto-others-as..., I flew through this book in a few short sittings and enjoyed every minute of it. She may be a small-town girl but Kathy Patrick clearly comes with a great big ol' heart. Whether she is describing the antics of the tiara-wearing Pulpwood Queens as they grew from six to the whole, big, nationwide phenomenon they've become, remembering her childhood and her relationship with her parents with stark truth measured by hu ...more
Patty
I took my time with this book because I wanted to make it last. It is a book about loving books and reading, but it is so much more than that. It is a journey into the authors life, from her childhood right into her adulthood. For me this book is also a self help book and I think that is amuzing because I feel that almost all books in their own way are self help books, especially fiction which sometimes helps us to look into our own lives in a new or different way and discover something that is ...more
Renee
I really enjoyed this book. I didn't know what to expect but it really surprised me. I got so many good ideas for books for my book club. It was a fun interesting read.
Lisa
A suprisingly delightful book! Autobiography of Kathy Patrick, who started the first beauty salon/bookstore in the country (maybe the world!). The book is full of great stories of her book club "The Pulpwood Queens of East Texas" who come to meetings in hot-pink shirts trimmed with leopard print and sporting tiaras, because as Kathy says, "We're all Queens!" A tireless advocate for literacy, Kathy is the kind of person you would love to sit down with one afternoon and talk books until the mornin ...more
Kimberly

This book is reads like you we're having a relaxed, laugh-out-loud, and heartfelt conversation with the author. The author writes from the heart; she makes no attempt to hide her quirks and foibles. Instead, she rejoices in them as we'll as thoroughly enjoying life. If you want to have a nice, casual read by an avid book-lover with recommendations of great books, this is the book for you.

I was very fortunate to drive to the author's shop in Jefferson, TX, and meet her and have a great haircut a
Tameka
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked the idea of it being a part memoir and "how-to" book on establishing a book club. It also renewed my faith in my life long dream of owning my own bookstore. As well as the ability to just follow my dreams, whatever they may be.
Tons of good book information too. I'm not much for writing or highlighting in my books, but I definitely put some marks & dogears within this one!! Just so many interesting books to check out. Hopefully I'll have room on my night
Carla Stewart
When I first started reading this book, I was nearly certain that Kathy Patrick lead a parallel life to mine growing up. Her stories of family and school and becoming a lover of books kept me sailing through the book. By the end I'd laughed and cried until I was - as we say in the South - plumb wore out. Mostly I'm amazed at the heart of this woman who wants to bring joy and meaning to others by introducing them to books and making them feel beautiful inside and out. Remarkable lady. Terrific bo ...more
Barbara
What a fun book! In fact, I just inquired about becoming a Pulpwood Queen, meaning I want to join (or start) a local chapter of the book club. I thought the book could have been organized a bit better (hence the one star deduction), but really a must-read for people who love to read, and want to live life to the fullest. I hope someday to visit Kathy Patrick's Beauty and the Book--a combination beauty shop and book store. And I am sooooo ready to wear pink, leopard print, and a tiara!
Barbara
After meeting this crazy lady in Jefferson this past summer I could hardly wait to read her book. She came to Corsicana and did a review of the book and told her remarkable story. She turned a small town beauty shop into a one-of-a-kind retreat that gained national attention. When you read her book and see her suggestions you will want to read every one of them. Her web site tells her story. Check it out. http://www.beautyandthebook.com/index...
Annette
This is a book worth reading. Written in a down home Texas style, author, Kathy Patrick reveals her life with humor and catchy anecdotes. Having worked as a go-between between authors and bookstores, Patrick lists her favorite reads at the end of each chapter. She also tells of opening her own salon, Beauty and the Book, which lent itself to the beginning of nationwide book clubs, hence The Pulpwood Queens.
Feisty and fabulous !
Deborah
I thought it was more of a guide to books and reading and promoting reading than a guide to life. There are stories about her life, but each chapter ends with recommended reading on a theme selected to complement the chapter in some way. I liked the chapter about Katrina. There is a list of recipes and suggestions on starting a book club and even book club questions for this book included at the end of the book.
Marshakinney
Maybe you saw her on Good Morning America. She is a book loving fun loving Texas woman who opened a combo book store and beauty parlor "Beauty and the Book". It was the first step toward her creation of the world's largest book club. Inspiring story and lots of book suggestions to go with each life lesson. Even some recipes to take to the book club. www.beautyandthebook.com to learn more about the Pulpwood Queens.
Jennifer Wyld
This book was pretty inspiring. Kathy is definitely on a mission and maybe my friends and I will finally start a book group. I especially appreciated the books she listed at the end of each chapter, to inspire more book groups. I don't think I will be in leopard print, but I do want to get a hair cut from her next time I am in east Texas!
Charlene
I Liked the book! Was very intresting to read!Being from Texas and knowing where a lot of these towns were, was neat! I enjoyed reading it and it left me with many more books I am wanting to add to my to read list! I can't wait to talk about this at the next book club meeting! :)
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Written by owner of Beauty and the Book, the world's only combination beauty salon/bookstore. About her experiences with books and her reading group that dared to ask the question, 'Does a book club have to be snobby to be serious?' The club's mission: To get America reading.
Lauren
This book was just fun to read. It is a memoir of a lady who owns a beauty salon/ book store and contains great recipes, anecdotes, and many book lists and reviews. This book shows creativity and exuberance and is feminine in the best sense of the word. I loved it.
Lizzy
A great book by a fellow Texan. In this book, she tells about life experiences and shares some of her favorite books (mostly by southern authors) with a little synopsis of each. Some of the recommendations I love, some I don't care for.
Lorraine
Easy read and very enjoyable about Kathy Patrick and the beginnning of her Pulpwood Queen book group. I orignally read ths book, since we are going to the convention and getting to meet Kathy. Totally enjoyable reading!
Stacy
Started out okay - I always appreciate someone who loves books as much as me...but i found the author's writing to be repetitive and after the first half, a bit boring. But I do love the idea of having a beauty salon/bookshop!
Kris
I really liked this. The idea that you could get your hair cut while looking for a book and talking about books! A perfect world. Plus, I enjoyed her reading lists - heavy on the Southern lit which I love.
Leslie Jem
I would love to go to the author's salon/bookstore and have her cut my hair while we talk about books. It's always a pleasure to see someone else's reading lists and learn another reader's thoughts on reading
Margaret
If you like books about books you will like this one.
The author has a beauty salon/book store. sounds like the perfect place to go. Lots of lists of books and ideas for book club. Recipes too.
Tattered Cover Book Store
Oct 08, 2008 Tattered Cover Book Store added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tattered Cover by: Liz H
Liz says read this book "for good, intelligent laughs and lessons from 'real folk'! Kathy tells her life story and how books have influenced her--and how they can influence you too."
Becky
A fun book about book, book clubs, family, girlfriends and life- full of southern sass- but like a lot of other empowered girl groups I've read.
Carol Ann
Nice whenever a Kansas girl hits the big time. Her story about how reading saved her as a girl--and then as an adult--affirms every booklover.
Sweet, light book with some interesting book recommendations and recipes for your book club pals!
Peggy Hess Greenawalt
Fun fun book...used it with our book club and just had a great time dressing up and discussing.
Stephanie
A book about the impact reading can have on your own life and the lives of those around you.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Greetings from The Pulpwood Queen! 1 6 Mar 20, 2010 10:35AM
  • Why We Read What We Read: A Delightfully Opinionated Journey Through Bestselling Books
  • The Center of the Universe: A Memoir
  • Bizarre Books
  • Casanova Was a Librarian: A Light-Hearted Look at the Profession
  • UnCONventional
  • Women Who Love Books Too Much: Bibliophiles, Bluestockings & Prolific Pens from the Algonquin Hotel to the YA-YA Sisterhood
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading
  • Read This!: Handpicked Favorites from America's Indie Bookstores
  • Old Books, Rare Friends: Two Literary Sleuths and Their Shared Passion
  • Christmas with Paula Deen: Recipes and Stories from My Favorite Holiday
  • Curiosities of Literature
  • Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide
  • Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing
  • A Pound of Paper: Confessions of a Book Addict
  • Stick to Drawing Comics, Monkey Brain!
  • After Hours: Tales from Ur-Bar