Start by marking “Night Swimming” as Want to Read:
Night Swimming

Night Swimming

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Filled with admiration for his characters and the hope they bring to their day to day dilemmas, Night Swimming has affirmed Pete Fromm's reputation as one of the nation's best writers.
Published September 30th 2000 by Picador (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Night Swimming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Swimming

Andy Miller
This is a collection of short stories by Pete Fromm published in 1999. These stories are character driven and are written with subtlety and nuance. I would recommend against reading all the stories at one time as they all feature characters struggling with life with little hope of overcoming their struggles. Some of my favorites:

"How This All Started" is told from the perspective a 10 year old boy whose older sister is steadily deteriorating from mental illness. The boy's love and protectiveness
Mike
I'm always impressed with how much emotion Fromm can convey in these short stories. He's one of the best writers working today, and this collection only affirms that. "Night Swimming" is beautiful.
Sharon
It’s high time, don’t you think, that I read some Pete Fromm? The blurb on the back of this book says he has published over 100 stories. I can’t even wrap my mind around that number. It’s amazing. And they are all so subtle.

The revelations and wrappings up at the end of Fromm’s stories sneak up on us and the characters. After the last word, we know we’ve experienced a full turnaround but aren’t quite sure how he led us there. Then, on looking back, we see how indirectly he’s done it. For instan
Jessica
A Bookslut review of As Cool As I Am (paired with the possible Dar Williams allusion in the title) made me curious to check out the book, but when the library didn't have a copy in, I ended up leaving with a collection of Fromm's short stories, Night Swimming, instead.

It's probably unfortunate that I read this book right after The Torturer's Apprentice, another short story collection, because The Torturer's Apprentice was SO good, and so stylistically strong, that I was jolted to find that From
Caroline
evocative - almost too much truth
Chris
Pete Fromm is a good writer, and his short stories are well-crafted and affecting. Only problem is, I don't enjoy short stories all that much, and every single one in the collection was depressing. The cover blurbs mention "hope," but I encountered very little of it in "Night Swimming."
William Hill
Pete Fromm is a great story-teller and a master of the short story. He is right there with O'Henry and V.S. Pritchett. Not only are his stories compelling but his characters are interesting and real. I highly recommend anything written by Fromm.
Christine
Pete Fromm's characters are flawed but lovely; he is full of sympathy and tenderness for them. Many witty moments: humor to go with the pathos; some stories are very sad. I especially enjoyed "Black Tie and Blue Jeans" and "Cowbird."
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Cheryl Furman
Cheryl Furman marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Spencer
Spencer marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Pam Sheridan
Pam Sheridan marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Nov 22, 2014
Rick Mcgowan
Rick Mcgowan marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Tammy Howard
Tammy Howard marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
KH
KH added it
May 26, 2015
Jo
Jo added it
May 14, 2014
JenWinEd
JenWinEd marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Jack Buck
Jack Buck marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Pete Fromm is a four-time winner of the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association Award for his novels As Cool As I Am, and How All This Started, his story collection Dry Rain, and the memoir Indian Creek Chronicles.

Fromm's novel As Cool As I Am is now a major motion picture, released by IFC, starring Claire Danes, James Marsden and Sarah Bolger.

He lives in Montana.

More about Pete Fromm...
Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the Wilderness As Cool As I Am How All This Started If Not For This Dry Rain