Night Swimming: Stories

Night Swimming: Stories

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Filled with admiration for his characters and the hope they bring to their day to day dilemmas, Night Swimming has affirmed Pete Fromm's reputation as one of the nation's best writers.
Published September 30th 2000 by Picador (first published 1999)

Andy Miller
This is a collection of short stories by Pete Fromm published in 1999. These stories are character driven and are written with subtlety and nuance. I would recommend against reading all the stories at one time as they all feature characters struggling with life with little hope of overcoming their struggles. Some of my favorites:

"How This All Started" is told from the perspective a 10 year old boy whose older sister is steadily deteriorating from mental illness. The boy's love and protectiveness...more
Mike
I'm always impressed with how much emotion Fromm can convey in these short stories. He's one of the best writers working today, and this collection only affirms that. "Night Swimming" is beautiful.
Sharon
It’s high time, don’t you think, that I read some Pete Fromm? The blurb on the back of this book says he has published over 100 stories. I can’t even wrap my mind around that number. It’s amazing. And they are all so subtle.

The revelations and wrappings up at the end of Fromm’s stories sneak up on us and the characters. After the last word, we know we’ve experienced a full turnaround but aren’t quite sure how he led us there. Then, on looking back, we see how indirectly he’s done it. For instan...more
Jessica
A Bookslut review of As Cool As I Am (paired with the possible Dar Williams allusion in the title) made me curious to check out the book, but when the library didn't have a copy in, I ended up leaving with a collection of Fromm's short stories, Night Swimming, instead.

It's probably unfortunate that I read this book right after The Torturer's Apprentice, another short story collection, because The Torturer's Apprentice was SO good, and so stylistically strong, that I was jolted to find that From...more
Caroline
evocative - almost too much truth
Chris
Pete Fromm is a good writer, and his short stories are well-crafted and affecting. Only problem is, I don't enjoy short stories all that much, and every single one in the collection was depressing. The cover blurbs mention "hope," but I encountered very little of it in "Night Swimming."
William Hill
Pete Fromm is a great story-teller and a master of the short story. He is right there with O'Henry and V.S. Pritchett. Not only are his stories compelling but his characters are interesting and real. I highly recommend anything written by Fromm.
Christine
Pete Fromm's characters are flawed but lovely; he is full of sympathy and tenderness for them. Many witty moments: humor to go with the pathos; some stories are very sad. I especially enjoyed "Black Tie and Blue Jeans" and "Cowbird."
KH
KH added it
Jun 06, 2014
Jo
Jo added it
May 14, 2014
JenWinEd
JenWinEd marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Jack Buck
Jack Buck marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Lucky
Lucky marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Cooper Hardee
Cooper Hardee marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Svetlana Subbotina
Svetlana Subbotina marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Zombie Karin
Zombie Karin marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Domi Shoemaker
Domi Shoemaker marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Pete Fromm is a three-time winner of the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association Award for his novel How All This Started, his story collection Dry Rain, and the memoir Indian Creek Chronicles.

Fromm's novel As Cool As I Am is now a major motion picture, released by IFC, starring Claire Danes, James Marsden and Sarah Bolger.

He lives with his family in Great Falls, Montana.

More about Pete Fromm...
Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the Wilderness As Cool As I Am: A Novel How All This Started: A Novel Dry Rain Tall Uncut