Tales of Ancient Egypt

Tales of Ancient Egypt

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  462 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Features stories that include the great myths - of Amen-Ra, who created all the creatures in the world; of Isis, searching the waters for her dead husband Osiris; of the Bennu Bird and the Book of Thoth. But there are also tales told for pleasure about magic, treasure and adventure - even the first ever Cinderella story.
Published August 1st 1996 by Puffin (first published 1967)

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley SnyderThe Red Pyramid by Rick RiordanMummies Made in Egypt by AlikiEgyptology by Dugald A. SteerAncient Egypt by Marcia Williams
Books for young people about Ancient Egypt
6th out of 114 books — 22 voters
Nefertiti by Michelle MoranThe Heretic Queen by Michelle MoranRiver God by Wilbur SmithFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowCleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
Best Books About Egypt
163rd out of 335 books — 363 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
These stories were interesting but pretty hard to read and remember everything for the age level it was required for. Pretty tedious reading. I read most of them out loud with my son as it was pretty difficult reading level.
Learned a lot and it was interesting.
Dina
its a good book having many entertaining stories and gives you a glimpse about pharaohs, how they lived and what they believed in
Willem van den Oever
Tales from Ancient Egypt’ offers a collection of easy readable stories, presenting a wonderful introduction to the legends and legacy of Ancient Egypt for children and adults alike. The way Roger Lancelyn Green has penned down these stories makes them read like fairytales, cautionary tales about the value of honor, friendship and loyalty. With each story only taking about ten pages or less, they do sometimes regrettably lack in details due their short span. Yet, they remain thoroughly entertain...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Read aloud to my 12yo son.

I grew up reading assorted Puffins of myths, legends and fairy tales by Roger Lancelyn Green. I especially remember one called The Book of Dragons. I'm thrilled to see that this title about Ancient Egypt is still in print and even available on ereader! Starting with a Prologue which sets the stories in historical context and gives the reader basic information on the geography and mythology of Ancient Egypt; the tales are then divided into three secti...more
Wayne S.
Egypt is one of the oldest literary cultures on earth, dating from 3200 B.C. when Menes united Upper and Lower Egypt. The tales in this book are divided into three sections. “Tales of the Gods” tell myths about ancient Egyptian deities such as Amen-Ra, Isis, Osiris, Thoth, Horus, Khnemu, and others. “Tales of Magic” relate legends about semi-historical figures in ancient Egypt like Seneferu, Khufu, Rameses the Great, and Bata. And “Tales of Adventure” contain other stories that the ancient Egypt...more
Jacob
For being composed "translations" of ancient myths and written over 40 years ago, the stories in this book are surprisingly easy to read. Some good background is provided both at the beginning and end of the book to help the reader understand more about ancient Egyptian culture, including a glossary and index of character names. The stories themselves are fairly short and bare bones, and require some active imagination to be more interesting. They seem like they are wide open for active embellis...more
Frances Ann
Mary
I read this aloud to my daughters (ages 10 & 11) for our history curriculum (Pandia Press History Odyssey Level 2). This book took my daughters and I forever to get through. I found it interesting and very similar to other stories (like Jesus and Cinderella). Before this book I had never read Egyptian mythology. At times this book was difficult to follow but thankfully my daughter is a huge Egyptian fan and had given me a little cheat sheet of all the pharaohs as well as all the gods. It was...more
Brent
These stories include the great myths - of Amen-Ra, who created all the creatures in the world; of Isis, seaching the waters for her dead husband Osiris; of the Bennu Bird and the Book of Thoth. But there are also tales told for pleasure about magic, treasure and adventure - even the first ever Cinderella story. Roger Lancelyn Green was born in 1918. He loved storytelling and was fascinated by traditional fairy tales, myths and legends from around the world. As well tales from ancient Egypt, his...more
Steven
Decided to check these out after my recent trip to Egypt to learn more about the mythology. Interesting read, aimed more for children. Usually such tales have moral value and I was interested and disappointed that some rewarded the bad guys for their cunning and became 'buds' with the Pharoah. Interesting story that goes along with the Trojan War. The so-called Cinderella story's only similarity was that the Pharoah sent his men out to find the woman who's foot would fit the ruby-red slipper tha...more
Rik
Not a book to read in one sitting, but stories were interesting enough to draw me back to the book. There are quite a few parallels with biblical stories, which interests me, as Moses (who wrote the first 5 books of the old testament) was educated in Egypt. The last story, the girl with the rose red slippers, looks like Cinderella to me!
^

Good reading (on the beach!) prior to a visit to the British Museum, (or the Louvre, or the Cairo Museum); though not as directly culturally relevant to myself as the Greek myths.

RLG, ever thoughtful and practical includes a table of the Egyptian Dynasties from Menes (3200 BC through to Cleopatra (AD 30). He also includes a useful synopsis of the source of the stories published here.

I enjoyed reading “The Story of the Greek Princess” of Troy straight after reading RLG’s “The Tale of Troy”; a use...more
Alp
If you're deeply interested in Ancient Egypt stories, mythology etc you'll find this book very interesting and informative. Except the last chapter it is quite interesting; it refers papyruses, drawings and scriptions, and that makes the impression book gives more like a documentary then a usual story books. Language is OK, but in my opinion you need to have a map of Egypt in your mind while reading the book. I was trying to match the story with the location, told in the final chapters.
Knowing(...more
Dan Glover
These versions of the myths of gods and heros of ancient Egypt are very well told. The language is accesible to children around 5 to 7 years of age and up and the stories themselves and the way they are written make this a perfect read-to-your-kids book (in other words, the parents will find them just as captivating). They have caused some staying up past bedtime in our home and that is always a good reference for a book.
I'm pre-reading this for a history class of 3rd-6th graders. It was great. Not super page-turning but I think kids will enjoy it and I can see the value in reading this multiple times. It was fun to see the similarities between Ancient Egyptian Myths and Western Myths and Fairy Tales. I especially enjoyed "The Story of the Greek Princess" which is the Egyptian version of the story of Helen of Troy.
Betty Matthews
This was my favorite book on all the the Egypt Reading List. These stories are the source to many of the folk tales I am familiar with. I love African Tales. The Tale of the Two Brothers - a tale from the past - enlightened me. I also liked the tale about Helen being in Egypt and sent her ka to go with Paris to Troy. The Trojan War was fought over a ka - the spirit of a person.
Sarah Tilatitsky
These tales are the GREATEST! These tales are funny and have morals in every single one. Please READ! This will make you think about your actions. I particulary like about when Se-Osiris showed the Prince about the spirit of the evil, rich man and the kind, poor man. Shows that the rich-level doesn't effect if you are nice or not. ☺
Austin
Very entertaining to get into the world and culture of the Pharaohs. I loved the corresponding story of the Greek Princess and the Tale of Troy. It filled in some gaps, but then again, it's not very reliable considering it was drenched in magic, which made for a cool story, but not good historical fact.
Elena
Fascinating reading for the most part, though a few of the stories are a bit dry. Amazing echoes of Genesis as well as Cinderella and the Trojan War. Similar in some ways to fairy tales from Europe but different in that evil is not always punished--probably a reflection of their pantheistic worldview.
James
We've wrapped up our journey through RLG's myths and legends. This one was less of an overall story than his other books, but it was still quite interesting. I especially enjoyed The Greek Princess, a story related to the Trojan War. All in all, I highly recommend Roger a Lancelyn Green as an author.
Samantha
My favorite story in it was the girl with the rose red slippers. I like when there was a big crowd and a man saw the crowd and wondered what was happening, so he pushed through the crowd and saw a beautiful girl who was being sold into slavery. The man bought her and called her Rhodopis.
Ashley
Aug 05, 2008 Ashley rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ashley by: TCA
Shelves: school
Although it is incredible that the Egyptians came up with their religions and customs almost without any outside help, I did not enjoy this book about Egyptian gods and Pharaohs and myths and legends. *YAWN* I'm more of a Greek gods type of girl, sorry Amen-Ra. Stupid summer reading.
Nathaniel
A kids book. Short stories about the mythology of Egypt. I got into it while looking up Thoth at my local library. I really enjoyed the fact that the stories were in chronological order, so by the end of the book, the reader has spanned a couple of millennial.
Chloe Coombs
It was very interesting and a very satisfying for a person like me who loves to hear stories of ancient egypt, greek mythology, etc. It gave me many ideas and outlooks on how the Egyptian life was. My favorite god is probably Thoth, god of knowledge.
Dayna Smith
A classic collection of tales from Egyptian mythology and other stories of ancient Egypt. A charming introduction to Egyptian mythology and heroic tales. It even contains the Egyptian version of the Trojan War. A great little book.
Lacie
A fun collection of some of Ancient Egypt's stories. Probably would be found a bit dry for some kids, though you'll find the book itself in the children's department, but definitely a good pick for anyone with Egypt lust. :)
Margaret Metz
These were entertaining and interesting stories from a fascinating period in history. I think this is one that you want to read and discuss with your children. Some of the stories have the bad guy winning and that sort of thing.
Timothy McNeil
Green has a nearly unbearably dry writing style that does as much as possible to rob the tales of any magic, mystery, or underlying meaning.
Gavin
Jun 21, 2009 Gavin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes myths and legends
Shelves: classics-old-new
Some of the oldest stories in the world are retold here by Green. Reading through them, one can see that little has changed in several millenia. Humans are just as odd now as they ever were.
Ria
Brilliant collection of stories of Egyptian fables.
Told in a very easy readable way, very informative and i learnt a lot from the tales peppered throughout with beautiful illustrations.
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • Ancient Egypt
  • The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt
  • Archimedes and the Door of Science
  • Augustus Caesar's World
  • Greek Myths
  • Old Peter's Russian Tales
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1)
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • Red Land, Black Land: Daily Life in Ancient Egypt
  • Black Ships Before Troy
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
  • Egyptology (Ologies, #2)
  • Otto of the Silver Hand
  • Egyptian Language: Easy Lessons in Egyptian Hieroglyphics
  • Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends
  • Cleopatra
Roger (Gilbert) Lancelyn Green was a British biographer and children's writer. He was an Oxford academic who formed part of the Inklings literary discussion group along with C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. Born in 1918 in Norwich, England, Green studied under C. S. Lewis at Merton College, Oxford, where he obtained a B.Litt. degree. He delivered the 1968 Andrew Lang lecture. Green lived in Cheshire...more
More about Roger Lancelyn Green...
The Adventures of Robin Hood King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table Tales of the Greek Heroes: Retold From the Ancient Authors Myths of the Norsemen: Retold from the Old Norse Poems and Tales The Tale of Troy: Retold from the Ancient Authors