High Fidelity (Shadow of the Templar, #4)

High Fidelity (Shadow of the Templar #4)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  431 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A fellow FBI agent with an old grudge picks Simon as the instrument of his revenge. And he knows the hidden truth behind one of Simon's closest-kept secrets... or does he?

On the other side of the world, two steps ahead of a ruthless, implacable foe accidentally set on his trail by Simon, Jeremy Archer is running for his life... or is he?

Now Simon finds himself torn between...more
Mass Market Paperback, 529 pages
Published May 6th 2009 by Lulu (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about High Fidelity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Fidelity

Kaje Harper
4.5 stars This book was my favorite of the series, except... it was a little like the great dessert at the end of a fascinating multi-course meal. With the whip-cream left off. I don't know if the author originally intended to write another book in the series (this is a 2009 release so I'm not holding my breath.) But the two scenes I wanted most were hinted at but didn't appear on the page.

In this installment, Simon has two crises at once. First, a call out of the blue from Jeremy, who says he i...more
Sheila
Man, I turned the last page and almost cried. I loved this series SO FREAKING MUCH. I mean, it's like someone sat down with a list of things I loved:

* kickass women
* crime! and capers!
* gadgets
* adorable dorks
* subtext becoming text
* crime-fighting
* things blowing up
* plans that come together
* secret hidden love affairs with angst
* snappy banter
* and even things blowing up

This series is made of ALL THESE THINGS in copious amounts. It's not perfect by any mea...more
Alissa
*updated with possible spoilers*

I'm drowning in feels right now ... and in denial that this series is over. I've visited Ms. Chandler's website so often to read the short stories that I've reached official stalker status.

I can't discuss this final *sob* installment in the Shadow of the Templar series without contemplating events from the previous three because Simon's mantra is introduced in the very first book: To follow the motto of the FBI (fidelity, bravery, integrity) and nothing or no one...more
Chris
Excellent m/m romantic suspense in which our FBI agent ends up in his jewel thief's world for a while. I cried an awful lot near the end, even though I was pretty sure it would turn out ok, and stayed up too late because I absolutely had to finish.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

I enjoyed this one just as much as the first two in the series. It was still funny and I loved the way we got to see a bit into Jeremy's world for once. It was interesting and held my attention throughout the book. We also got to see Simon take responsibility for his actions (which he usually does) but this time it's with Jeremy and his personal relationship with him and it was just refreshing to see everything come to light.

My only problem with it was, at times, I was confused. Mostly...more
Feliz
Apr 06, 2011 Feliz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of action and suspense
Jeremy Archer is an art thief and cat burglar who's been working part time with the FBI to help them solve some cases. But he hasn't only made friends in his life, and recently things have gotten quite tight. His life in peril, Jeremy turns to his unacknowledged friend and occasional bedmate, FBI agent Simon Drake, for help, asking him to make one single telephone call which would grant his dispatcher's safety. But Simon, being Simon, wants to make sure Jeremy didn't lie about the threat to his...more
Susana
Minh
Even after a second read through the payoff is ridiculously grand. I love falling into this world, the plotting and timeline are so intricate and I can't seem to let go of Jeremy or Simon.

So of course the first thing I did was to dive into the short stories on the website :).
Holly
I'll miss these characters, that's for sure. All of them. They'll stay with me for a while. I super-enjoyed this whole series, the third book probably being my favorite, followed by the second.
Seregil
I feel like I've been reading this series for ages and now I'm sad it's over :(
It's filled with action and there is sexual tension both before and AFTER the main characters get together. There is also the fact that Simon is such a guy and barely acknowledges his own feelings, though he always "claims responsibility". I loved him and all the other characters and despite reading a LOT about them there still doesn't seem enough. I have a few more short stories to read (from the author's site) and I...more
Deborah
Mar 24, 2012 Deborah marked it as to-read
Shelves: series
want to read - do not want it to be the last in the series :( ... maybe i'll reread 1-3 and then read 4 :) just to make it last a little longer :D
Ran
The benefits of having a rich Prima Dona slick thief as a lover... and of course, the disadvantages along with it...
clear skies
I liked the final instalment a lot more than the previous book. In this book we are basically watching Jeremy suffer because of Rich's mistake. Jeremy is running from the Russian "mafia" and well Simon feels like he needs to help. There is a problem here though:

1. Whilst Simon cannot be blamed for Rich's mistakes, his insistence of only being there to help Jeremy was because of his guilt.

2. Simon only showed up because he was suspended - (due to protecting Jeremy funnily enough). He freely admit...more
Breakenter
This is easily the best book of the series, and that’s despite the excruciatingly slow start and the plot being even more far-fetched than the other books. But Simon and especially Jeremy really come into their own here. There are some very poignant moments hidden amongst all the banter and it’s an extremely satisfying end to the series. I was sad that it was over.
lauraღ
Eh. Not as bad as the last one, but Simon's so much of an asshole I more or less stopped caring about him. Good plot and action, but I'm more or less burnt out on this series and I'm glad it's over.
MaKayla
(rated this book 3 1/2)
well honestly, I'm quite disappointed in this ending. I feel like there should be another book after this to finish it off. Throughout the whole series Simon and Jeremy's relationship, in my opinion, has not changed one bit. Yeah in this book they threw us tiny bones here and there of sweet little fast moments but did not get more into them. It happened and then got left alone, and back to square one of their relationship. So in the end when Simon `all the sudden has an ep...more
TJ
After the debacle that was book 3, I was wary about moving onto this one. I was pleasantly surprised, needless to say. Simon did the groveling that he needed to do, though he was still an asshole at times. Going after Jeremy overseas was probably the smartest thing he'd ever done (though, I can admit to a flash of raging annoyance when the rest of the team showed up, too; but, since they were in Italy, I kept hoping Sandy would get struck by a Vespa. No dice.) The ol' heartstrings got a tug or t...more
Shawnie Nicole
You know, I thought Simon would grow on me but Nope. I still don't like him. Which says a lot. Either way, this series was a good one and I'm glad I found it even if I dislike some of the charries.
Harshita
The most satisfying book of the series for sure. Finishing it meant I could finally wallow in all the short stories. Plus it made me want to go back and read from the beginning, and that's always a good sign.
All the Jeremy character stuff in here was gold, and yay finally Annabelle and Ethan! I missed Sandra in the book, even though she had a lot of important decisions and interventions. She should have gotten to dress up and kick ass some more
Ayanna
This series. Hmm. Okay.
The writing's good, the characters are freaking hilarious, the plot's only average, but the characters...
AND it's a series I can carry around with me and set down and not worry that someone might pick it up and be like "O_o WTF IS THIS????"

Ambivalent towards the resolution because I tend to like more...definite resolutions, but it's realistic given the characterization, so w/e.
Elysha Smith
Its been a few days since I read the series and I'm still not over it. I fell in love with these books, enough that I'm now waiting to buy the paperbacks when I have the money. For the record that is a huge thing for me.

Beyond the relationship (or whatever you want to call it) between Simon and Jeremy it has action, intrigue and humour! Its a fun read that I do plan on reading again.
K
reviewette to follow
LenaLena
This one is much better than the previous two! Finally, some internal wrangling is happening for Simon. Now it's Jeremy who is the inscrutable one. It is too long, with too much sitting around, bantering, waiting for stuff to happen, but very entertaining when the action picks up. The last 3 books should be edited down to two medium sized ones and it'd be awesome!
Edina Rose
My fav in the series, though I haven't read book 2 and 3 (from reviews, not enough romance and too slow).
This book 4 in the series is a a keeper. The end is POWERFUL! I was happy that Simon was the one chasing Jeremy, finally.
inume27
Nov 03, 2013 inume27 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone ^^
Shelves: mm, favorites
Reread for the 3rd time: God....I want to squeeze Simon and Jeremy,I love them to death.They are my favorite couple EVER, hands down.I will read these books time and time again because I just can't get enough of them.
Lance
Good book for a mystery lover, decent book for romance between two male agents. Not steamy at all if you are looking for that kind of action. But if are dipping yur toes into a new genre....this books does the trick.
Katie
I didn't revise for an important exam (They're all quite important, you know what i mean) all because i couldn't physically put this book down.
If that's not a great book, then i don't know what is.
Lily
Fabulous ending to a great series. The author had me worried for a bit but thankfully Simon and Jeremy's story ended beautifully. I'm sad though that it's come to an end.
Katy
A month after I finished these books the first time around I just had to go back and read the annotated editions. I can't recommend them highly enough.
  • The Interludes (In the company of shadows, #3)
  • The Administration
  • Mann of My Dreams
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
  • Tenebrism (Light and Shadow, #1)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Inland Empire (Taking the Odds, #2)
  • Adrien English Mysteries: Fatal Shadows and A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mysteries, #1-2)
2088666
M. Chandler is a lady of a certain age, currently wandering around the Seattle area. Whenever she manages to make her way home, she writes action-oriented fiction that tends to be heavy on the gay themes.

She has a website with lots of free fiction, a Facebook fan page, and, God help us, a Twitter.
More about M. Chandler...
The Morning Star (Shadow of the Templar, #1) Double Down (Shadow of the Templar, #2) With a Bullet (Shadow of the Templar, #3) Tales From Black Oceans Tournament Chess

“Hope you didn't bring any spiders into the van with you,' Simon put in. 'Hey, I'm thinking we could take you back outside and hose you down, just to make sure. You'd definitely smell better if we did, which, I mean, bonus.'
Jeremy scraped both hands through his hair again, then beat them clean against his thighs. 'Believe me, Simon, if we had access to a garden hose, I'd be the first to turn it on myself. I feel foul.'
'Hate to break it to you, Archer, but that feeling is not lying to you,' Simon said with mild relish.”
6 likes
“Johnny didn't exactly look tired, but then, Johnny was just about the hardest son-of-a-bitch to read that Simon had ever met. Dave, on the other hand, looked like he'd spent the last week being beaten by tiny elves with whiffle bats, which might have been true, for all Simon knew.” 0 likes