Start by marking “The Brother/Sister Plays” as Want to Read:
The Brother/Sister Plays

The Brother/Sister Plays

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  3 reviews
“McCraney’s richly drawn characters and colloquial poetry . . . manages to sound both epic and rooted in a specific place. Listen closely, and you might hear that thrilling sound that is one of the main reasons we go to the theater, that beautiful music of a new voice.”—The New York Times

“Taut, expressive drama, The Brothers Size realizes the potential of theater to elevat
Published August 17th 2010 by Theatre Communications Group (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Brother/Sister Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brother/Sister Plays

I have trouble writing coherent reviews for 5-star books. Something happens when I read them, something transcendent that leaves me without words. So. These scripts are beautiful, some of the few that are as amazing on the page as they are on the stage. McCraney understands that playwriting is poetry as much as anything else, and there is beauty, humor, heartbreak, and truth on every single page. A treasure.
Peter Orvetti
I was lucky enough to see two of these plays -- "The Brothers Size" and "Marcus; Or the Secret of Sweet" -- on stage before I read this volume. Of the three, "The Brothers Size" is my favorite, though they work best as a trilogy as intended. I do think it might be hard to appreciate McCraney's work just by reading the scripts, since the plays are very movement-based and use sound and silence in addition to language that is sometimes hard to accurately transcribe.

One oddity of "The Brother/Sister
Book. Different than Stage. Forced to imagine.

Book, enjoyed the book, but

Look forward to seeing it on stage

Where I can see how such strange

thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Elana marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Natalie Ehlers
Natalie Ehlers marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Nicolas marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Patrick Dunlop
Patrick Dunlop marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Elena marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Bob Prescott
Bob Prescott marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Emily Fassler
Emily Fassler marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Brothers Size In the Red and Brown Water: A Fast and Loose Play Marcus; or The Secret of Sweet Choir Boy Wig Out!