Start by marking “The Lost Temple” as Want to Read:
The Lost Temple

The Lost Temple

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  1,126 ratings  ·  73 reviews
For three thousand years, the world’s most dangerous treasure has been lost. Now the code that reveals its hiding place is about to be broken . . .
Greece, 1947. Europe is just beginning to heal after World War II, but the fighting in Greece continues as a civil war is waged. Sam Grant, a disgraced ex–Special Operations Executive soldier and an adventurer by trade, is lur
Published October 28th 2008 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Temple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Temple

Rob
About 50-60 pages into the book, I stopped reading it. I selected it based on the summary on the dust jacket, thinking it would be something like The Da Vinci Code. It was, sort of, but it was so full of explosions and shootings, the puzzle and mystery became secondary to the plot.
At the beginning of the novel, 1941, I learn that Sam Grant is a British special forces sort of soldier who was bodyguarding the king of Greece. He meets an archeologist during the German invasion of Crete. The archeol
Ariadne Elle
I loved the premise of this, Achilles armour and shield. That was what grabbed my attention in the first place. I was sad to say I never connected with the characters. For me to enjoy a book, I have to have that connection.

Grant, the main character was lackadaisical in my eyes, he never quite got the whole hero of the story down pat. Reed, the archaeologist...there were parts I wanted to shoot him, myself. The rest of the characters where so bland if I chose to mention them here, I would have to
Tim

I was rather wary of reading this after seeing the reviews on here, but I am glad I stuck it out and got into it. It is rather slow in the beginning even though it jumps into a lot of action from the beginning. You never develop an attachment to the characters, but it does not detract from the story. Rather, you watch the events from a detached perspective. I will say that most of the twists and turns were not very surprising, but what sold this book to me is the Homeric connection and quest fo
Ruth
"The palace of Knossos was no longer the labyrinth it had been in legend, but there were still ways to lose yourself in it, and Pemberton knew the layout better than any man alive." Sadly, a pedestrian read but with enough gems of brilliance to keep me reading. Born in 1977, Harper studied History at Oxford and published this book in 2007. Harper commented on this book as follows "1.6.07 - The Bookseller claims that the novel is 'an unashamed Da Vinci Code rip-off'. That's mostly untrue - it's a ...more
Andronicus Kok
Finished reading Tom Harper's - The Lost Temple. An ex special ops soldier is entrusted with a leather notebook filled with an archaeologist life work which contains a deadly secret. He sets out to find why he has died protecting it and what's it worth behind the secret even though its in ancient Greek and mysterious symbols. A so so read disappointed with the story flow. Sigh :(
Jill
I enjoyed this book tremendously and hoped that the author would come out with another book I really liked, but he hasn't. I found this book intriguing.
Melissa Cuevas
Cheese that would make the master cheesemakers in my area proud. The unashamed illegitimate love child of Dan Brown/WEB Griffin/Indiana Jones. It's got the cliche cast of: disgraced mercenary special forces type. Gorgeous dark voluptuous Greek resistance fighter that must be, of course, the male protagonist's EX lover. The usual over thinking academic type. The usual bad German 'archaeologist' described in porcine terminology. The usual Soviet baddies. The usual spy baddies. The end of the world ...more
Theresa
So this book is a slow start, so slow in fact I was thinking of putting it in the giveaway pile once I finished it. The author doesn't bother describing the main character and you don't find out he's British till about 100 pages into it. Perhaps the author being British assumes we would guess the hero would have to be British.

But still in my mind I cast the characters as certain people and I was becoming more and more attached to Sam and Marina. I was hoping eventually they would kiss or admit f
Emlen
It ain't Shakespeare, but if you happen to be a Classics nerd, I definitely recommend this: post-World War II hunt for a lost substance that the Minoans found on a meteor, which is the basis of Homer's story of Achilles' shield. My favorite scene (somewhat spoiler-ish, so I'll hide it), which, if you're a Classicist, should help you understand what the attraction of this book is:

(view spoiler)
John Parker
The Lost Temple is an energetic romp around the Mediterranean for historical adventurers. If the island of Crete, Minoans, Greek gods, Linear B, Nazis, Turks and Soviet operatives are your thing, then you will enjoy the book. If not, then you will find it to be worth the three stars that I gave it.

For me, I lived on Crete, visited Knossos, and know of the Nazi airborne invasion and a lot of the archaeological references. I enjoyed the book, but I am not sure that I am overly excited about it. A
Brian
This novel takes place in post-war Europe in 1947. A number of years ago Sam Grant is given a leather notebook by a dying archaeologist. When the KGB starts looking for this notebook, Grant decides to go on his own expedition to find the shield made for Achilles. He is helped by an Oxford professor, Arthur Reed, and a beautiful Greek archaeologist, Marina.

This was a fun adventure novel with the Russians on their tail, they travel all around Europe following clues that will take them to the templ
Jim
Uneven pacing and an ending that seemed rushed detract a bit from what is otherwise a solid thriller with an interesting historical perspective. In this one, which is mostly set in 1947, the good guys are on the hunt for the shield of Achilles. Yes, that Achilles. Seems there was more truth to the Iliad than many would have believed. In any case, it seems that one of the shield's components has some less savory uses in 1947, and both the Soviets and Americans are after it. All in all, a fun outi ...more
Judith
An interesting story about the myths of Greece - action packed and fairly fast paced. Books like this make me wonder just how much we never hear about regarding ancient artifacts being found...
Tory Wagner
This was a fun archeology based story that took place in various areas around Greece. This takes place after WW II and involves British, American, Greek, and Soviet spies/military agents. The premise of the story is that various countries are searching for the shield of Achilles because it is thought to be made from a legendary medal that can be used to create a military weapon. There are lots of quotes from Homer that the archeologists use to try and determine where Achilles final resting place ...more
Jenny Delandro
Janis
My review of this book isn't really fair. I found Goodreads right in the middle of it and I was far more interested in filling my "shelves" than reading the book. That it didn't hold my attention over this application says something. Gave it 2 stars, it was just OK.

I liked the concept - The hunt for an ancient artifact that we believe is only myth...

Biggest criticism - disjointed, awkward dialog sections where who was talking wasn't exactly clear.
Fredrick Danysh
During World War II the Germans attack an English archaeologist in Crete in an attempt to secure tablets indicating the presence of a mythical Greek shield. After the war, ex-OSS agent Sam Grant is sprung from prison to aid the joint English-American search for the shield. The Russians are trying to retrieve it themselves. Both groups chase all over the Mediterrain in the search. Plenty of action and violence mixed in with some classical poetry.
Anna Stathopoulou
Διάβασα το οπισθόφυλλο και μπήκα σε πειρασμό γιατί τρελλαίνομαι για αρχαία μυστήρια πόσο μάλλον όταν σχετίζονται με τη χώρα μου. Προς το παρόν, έχω φτάσει στη μέση και νοιώθω ότι διαβάζω ένα μπερδεμένο κουβάρι από μύθους, θρύλους όλων των θρησκειών που έχουν συγκολληθεί για να κυλήσει το στόρυ. Ημαρτον!
Αυτά λέω τώρα, ελπίζω μέχρι το τέλος να έχω καλύτερη γνώμη και να αποζημιωθώ για το χρόνο που αφιέρωσα σ'αυτό το βιβλίο. Θα επανέλθω...
Vorbis
Audiobook. Finally finished. If I wasn't listening with someone I think I'd have given up. It's interesting enough, but the author has certain style traits that get frustrating. Particularly his habit of killing off anyone he doesn't know what to do with. Everyone dies in this book - as soon as they've wrapped up helping the plot, they die.

Unsatisfying ending, I don't believe the scholar would have behaved that way. But anyway, finished.
Marti
Somehow I expected this to be more exciting. On the front cover the Booklist quote said, "Fans of thriller with an Indiana Jones angle who just can't wait for the next James Rollins or Steve Berry novel should check out this very interesting tale." It was probably setting me up to expect more than this book delivered. There were interesting aspects to it, but it seemed to get bogged down off and on.
Andy
I picked this book up at BEA last year as it looked like something I would like. I was right. I thought it was great. It's a historical adventure set just after WWII, and is a fast-paced, Indiana Jones type story. The character development was a bit slow, but once the book gets moving, it doesn't stop and kept me turning the pages! I'm going to look into other Tom Harper novels to see if they are similar.
Tammy
Dec 31, 2011 Tammy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like Indiana Jones style thrillers
What: an ancient tablet found in Crete
When: early post world war ll
Where: all over mythical Greece
Who: an English professor, two English spys, an American spy, and an archeologist from Crete
an Indiana Jones style adventure in search of......

Good book. Not equal to James Rollins. But still not bad.
Paula Harris
A very exciting journey.

This story is a wonderful trip through ancient Greece...and the Homers tales. There is a new twist or secret to discover in ever chapter.
Deborah Hamilton
This book was meh....not bad but failed to hold my interest for more than a couple chapters at a time. The hunt for the missing artifact was drawn out and the ending expected. However, I did enjoy the concept behind the novel and overall would recommend it to someone who has nothing else to read. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is worth the read.
Michael
I never really get tired of the Indiana Jones type of story. A frantic search for a treasure of antiquity that holds a secret power. Post WW2. This time the shield of Achilles, which is made of a rare radioactive metal from a meteorite, that turns out to be capable of producing a mega-nuclear bomb. Stalin wants it, can't let him have it. Good airplane book.
Stephen
This book was slow to start, but WOW! It has elements of Dan Brown, but focuses more on the history and uncovering the puzzle. There are many references to ancient texts and I'm going to have to hunt down to find how much was real and how much was fiction. This book feels a lot like David Gibbons series. It could have been written by a field archaeologist.
Tony
I gave up at 150 pages I'm afraid.

A real plod of a read, an intriguing premise giving way to a complete lack of post-war atmosphere, bland characters, dull scene setting and a narrative going nowhere fast.

Tom Harper shows promise, and I'd give another of his books a try out of fairness, but this isn't interesting or fun enough to hold my interest.
Dighina Chilson
Quick read. Too much mythology, not enough character development.
Marie
Here's a book jumping on the coattails of the success of The Da Vinci Code (which was a poorly written book with a fascinating plot). This is slightly better written, but not terribly believable. I don't know why I keep picking these books up--I'm just hoping to find the treasure, I guess.
Zornitsa
Приятен приключенски роман,с известно количество екшън,героите се впускат в търсене на артефакт. Действието се развива в Гърция и черноморието, а в основата му са разплитането на тайни, залегнали в древногръцките митове и легенди. През цялото време докато я четях, си представях сюжета филмиран :)
  • Bible of the Dead
  • The Sacred Blood
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • Pyramid
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • On the Fifth Day
  • The Tenth Chamber
  • The Atlantis Code (Thomas Lourds, #1)
  • The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1)
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Ark (Tyler Locke, #1)
  • The Last Testament
Tom Harper was born in West Germany in 1977 and grew up in Germany, Belgium and America; he now lives in England. He is chair of the Crime Writers' Association and also a member of the Historical Novels Society and the Society of Authors.

Tom Harper also writes historical adventures as Edwin Thomas.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thre
More about Tom Harper...
The Book of Secrets The Lazarus Vault The Mosaic of Shadows Knights of the Cross Siege Of Heaven