Start by marking “Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery, #2)

Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  2,812 ratings  ·  178 reviews
Tea shop owner Theodosia Browning knows that somethings brewing in the high society of Charlestonsomething other than her newest tea The Indigo Tea Shop, Charlestons favorite spot of tea, has just come out with its latest flavor: Gunpowder Green. Theodosia Browning cannot wait to hear its praises as it is unveiled at the annual yacht race. But when she hears the crack of a ...more
Published March 5th 2002 by Berkley Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Gunpowder Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gunpowder Green

KarenF
Cute cozy mystery series. The tea information is fascinating and the descriptions of Charleston are wonderful. The mystery itself is engaging without be too taxing, pretty much what I expect from a cozy. My one issue is that the characters can be a bit too precious at times, but it's a minor irritant and easily glossed over to spend some time in the charming tea shop.
Carly
3 1/2 stars would be more accurate.

Once the mystery gets going, I really started to enjoy the story. The in between stuff can be a bit dull. I love the stuff about the tea and Charleston, but I feel that the author goes into so much detail just to prove that she knows all about tea and Charleston. Too easy to figure out the murderer.

(view spoiler)
Jerry Landry
Childs’s Gunpowder Green was a delightful read, the second in the Tea Shop Mystery series. As with the first book, Theo has her friends and coworkers Drayton and Haley to help her investigate the sudden death of a well-to-do Charlestonian that occurred before their very eyes. It’s a rather typical mystery novel plot and is done well, but what draws me to the series is the setting and characters that Childs crafts. It makes me want to walk into the Indigo Tea Shop and have a cup of whatever new b ...more
Cindy
So-so. I read the first book in this series years ago. Now I understand why I wasn't anxious to get back to the series. It is not a bad book, just not one that made me want to keep reading. If you liked #1, you'll probably like this one. This series is just not my cup of tea (pun only secondarily intended.)
Sara
A fun read for both mystery and tea lovers.
Writerlibrarian
Much better paced and written than the first novel in the series. The writing is crispier, the characters are more three dimensional. Childs shows more tells less.

Theo finds herself investigating the "accidental" death of one's of Charleston's rich and famous man. The poor man died over one's of Theo catering table cloth. Childs also found a way to bring alive Charleston's historical district without falling into the book/guide travel trap.

Interesting mystery and interesting characters will ke
Diane
This is the 2nd book in the Tea Shop Mystery series by Laura Childs. The Isle of Palms Yacht race is taking place. People are watching the race from White Point Gardens. An angry Ford Cantrell and Oliver Dixon are seen arguing during the boat race. The Cantrell and Dixon families have an old feud that dates back quite some time. Just as the boats are ready to cross the finish line, Oliver Dixon fires the gun. The gun explodes killing Oliver Dixon in front of all the people watching the boat race ...more
Wanda
The second in the series of Tea Shop mysteries. Theodosia Browning is the tea shop owner and amateur sleuth. A really good "cozy" mystery. The descriptions of Charleston SC are wonderfully expressive and you can almost feel the breezes and see the dogwood blossoms opening. The characters are well developed and quite an array of them. A quick and satisfactory read. However, you will come away with an intense desire for a good cup of tea! I am looking forward to reading the entire series.
Anne
Ursprünglich hatte ich das Buch vom Bookcrossingtreffen in Plön für meine schwangere Freundin mitgenommen, damit sie sich im Krankenhaus nicht langweilt. Als sie mir das Buch dann gelesen und sehr säuerlich zurückgab, fühlte ich mich verpflichtet, es auch zu lesen, auch wenn mir leider schon nach wenigen Sätzen klar war, dass das nicht einfach werden würde... Was sollen all diese Beschreibungen der Teesorten, des Essens, der ach so wundervollen Einrichtung? Über ersteres hätte ich vielleicht noc ...more
C.
The information in “Gunpowder Green” is good and Theodosia is rounded out as a person with a pet, family, and past. However the pace was exceedingly slow and mystery portions underwhelming, until two chapters from the end. They burst into revelation, slapped down completely unrelated sidelines, then the book closed; with no chance for the long-endured climax to simmer. This was a shop-running journal instead of tea-themed mysteries! Nothing relieved stagnation. When Theodosia is home, she prepar ...more
Joy Gerbode
Enjoyed the reading, but the mystery was kind of difficult to follow. It seemed that all of a sudden it was solved, and I'm still not sure I got the solution. Enjoyable characters, lots to learn about tea, and some great recipes, which are delightful!
Pat
Tea shop owner Theodosia Browning knows that something’s brewing in the high society of Charleston—something other than her newest tea… The Indigo Tea Shop, Charleston’s favorite spot of tea, has just come out with its latest flavor: Gunpowder Green. Theodosia Browning cannot wait to hear its praises as it is unveiled at the annual yacht race. But when she hears the crack of an antique gun meant to end the race, a member of Charleston’s elite falls dead. Theodosia has a hunch that his demise was ...more
Elizabeth Green
This is the second book in this series that I have read, and I think that they are absolutely delightful! This is a charming series of mystery books that are set in historic Charleston, South Carolina. They all have an intriguing murder mystery without all of the violence, drama, and grotesque details of most modern mysteries. I will admit that I sometimes get lost in all of the tea references (I love a good cup of Earl Grey as much as the next person, but who knew you could describe tea the sam ...more
Ann
Theodosia Browning is serving tea at the local yacht club. The local man who was to fire the gun to end the race, the gun explodes and kills him. Everyone thinks it was an accident except Theodosia. She begins to look into the murder and soon finds out who is responsible. The one problem I have with this book is that she spends more time saying she doesn't understand why people think she is investigating. The book is OK and I like the other characters who come up in book after book. Theodosia be ...more
Christina
I read the first two in the series because I love tea and tea associated items such as teashops and scones, muffins etc. and I wanted a non-taxing read. The mystery is slight and the protagonist is perhaps one of the worst detectives in the history of the mystery genre: she realises who the murderer is, in both novels, at about the same time that they are trying to kill her. Not only is she an idiot but she also ages backwards: in the first novel she is 36 and in the second she is 35. At least s ...more
Kathy
Jan 31, 2012 Kathy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery lovers
Recommended to Kathy by: Elizabeth Laumas
This is not the mystery of the smoking gun. It is the mystery of the exploding gun. When the signal pistol explodes at a yacht race, Theodosia is right in the middle of the fray. She watches as the man's lifeless body falls to the ground, brushing against one of her very own tablecloths as he goes. While most believe it to be nothing more than a tragic accident, Theo isn't so sure and can't resist the urge to involve herself, and her friends, in the investigation. Will Theo find the killer, or w ...more
Wendy
Theodosia Browning's life has calmed down since almost being killed a few months ago. Bethany has moved on but Drayton and Haley are still working for her at the Indigo Tea Shop and she has hired Miss Dimple to do her books a couple of days a week. They are planning several different types of tea parties including a Mystery Tea Party to increase business.

This murder takes place at White Point Gardens at the tip of Charleston's historic peninsula during the Isle of Palms Yacht Race. Oliver Dixon,
Perle Champion
This is Book 2 in Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries which I got hooked on in early May.

The mysteries are well-plotted and the characters evolve with each new book which is akin to meeting someone new that you know can become a friend s you get to know them.

Childs also wrote the Scrapbook Mystery Series which I read earlier in the year.
Perle Champion at
Perle’s Ink,
freelance words & art
Cathi95
(Cozy mystery 2003) Second book in the series that I've read, in no particular order. This is book #2, previously I read #12. Theodosia Browning runs a tea shop in Charleston, and solves mysteries on the side. This one involves a shooting death during a yacht race. Her descriptions of events, the interaction between the main characters, and the unfolding events is fun to read. I hope the next one I find is #3!
Susan
Another reviewer mentioned all the time that is spent on describing the details of both tea and Charleston. He/she is correct. Sure, Charleston is a great city. Tea is good. But there are times that all these things detract from the story. This is one of those times.

I actually enjoy Laura Childs' Cackleberry Club series more. I wonder if the latter books in the Tea Shop series are lighter in terms of the tea and Charleston details.
Shellie Whild
Not sure I'd read any more by this author... not that it was bad but it wasn't particularly good either. The whole scenario struck me as unrealistic and rather contrived but the characters were likable enough, the setting was charming and the tea shop workings interesting. Perhaps I might go backwards and read the first of the Tea Shop Mystery books as I'd like to read more about the shop.
Debbie
Feb 18, 2009 Debbie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Charlaine Harris mysteries, fans of Maggie Sefton and tea lovers.
Shelves: mystery, cozy
The second book in Laura Childs' Teashop Mystery series, this book finds Theodosia and company investigating another murder in historic Charleston. The day of annual yachting race between two exclusive yacht clubs, an antique pistol used to mark the end of the race explodes, killing a 60-year-old mover and shaker. This leaves his 20-something bride a very rich (and not altogether grief-stricken) widow.

Once again, the characters are richly drawn and the plot moves forward at a just-one-more-chapt
Pamela
This is the second in the series, but third book I read. At times I feel stuck in the tea shop, but I enjoy tea and scones and the like. (The recipes are in the back of the book.) Anyways it's a quick and easy read for a bit of an escape to Charleston, it's historical district and a murder.
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Stephanie
Ahh, the sweet little cozy mystery. I keep them separated from general mysteries on my shelves because in a real mystery, the owner of a tea shop would not put herself smack dab in the middle of a murder investigation. It is laughable to see this happen in the series, but I really like the books for the background in tea. I am really getting an education, and would be happy if the books were only about a little tea shop. I like the recipes that are included in the back of the book.

Cozy mysterie
Julia Ibbotson
There is something very charming about the slow pace of life in Charleston's Historic District and its characters. Tea shop owner Theodosia Browning has introduced her latest flavour, Gunpowder Green and attends the annual yacht race where she will promote it. But at the race, a member of Charleston’s elite is killed with his own antique starting pistol. As usual Theo suspects foul play and of course she's right. Yes, it's not so very hard to figure out the killer but that doesn't in any way det ...more
Denise
This was a quick & fun read. I went to Charleston 2 years ago & while reading I could picture the homes and Battery Park. I also enjoy the recipes at the back of the book as I am a tea drinker.
Elizabeth
This was a good book. I am a huge fan of series books, loving how the cast of characters remains through the series. I find myself invested as much in their lives and small towns as the plot of the individual book. The setting is adorable, a quaint little tea shop, in an historic tourist town. The characters are real and likeable. That said, I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first. The overall plot just didn't hold my attention or stay with me as well as the original. Sometimes though, the ...more
Linda
Enjoyed her scrap booking series, but not quite sure about this one. The main character seems to need more personality. High opinion of herself and very low of everyone else.
Barbara S
I visited Charleston in the spring so I was able to "revisit" as I read this book. It was a fun read I will likely look for more of her books.
  • French Pressed (Coffeehouse Mystery, #6)
  • Mistletoe Man (China Bayles, #9)
  • Sins and Needles (A Needlecraft Mystery, #10)
  • Bookplate Special (A Booktown Mystery, #3)
  • Killer Pancake (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #5)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
Laura Childs is a pseudonym for Gerry Schmitt and she is the best-selling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, the Scrapbook Mysteries, and the Cackleberry Club Mysteries.

Laura Childs is the New York Times bestselling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, Scrapbook Mysteries, and Cackleberry Club Mysteries. In her previous life she was CEO/Creative Director of her own marketing firm and authored several
More about Laura Childs...

A Tea Shop Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Death by Darjeeling (A Tea Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Shades of Earl Grey (A Tea Shop Mystery, #3)
  • The English Breakfast Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #4)
  • The Jasmine Moon Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Chamomile Mourning (A Tea Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Blood Orange Brewing (A Tea Shop Mystery, #7)
  • Dragonwell Dead (A Tea Shop Mystery, #8)
  • The Silver Needle Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #9)
  • Oolong Dead (A Tea Shop Mystery, #10)
  • The Teaberry Strangler (A Tea Shop Mystery, #11)
Death by Darjeeling (A Tea Shop Mystery, #1) Shades of Earl Grey (A Tea Shop Mystery, #3) The Jasmine Moon Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #5) Eggs in Purgatory (Cackleberry Club, #1) The English Breakfast Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #4)