Start by marking “Wanderlust” as Want to Read:
Wanderlust

Wanderlust

2.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  513 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Writing a low-budget travel column for a New York newspaper is a dream for young Kate Bogart, but as she soon finds, the travel fulfills her--but the distance it kills her. A saucy and lighthearted novel that will leave readers happy to be along for the ride.
Published January 28th 2003 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about Wanderlust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wanderlust

Bridget
Jun 02, 2008 Bridget rated it it was ok
I picked this up because when I read that the main character was a travel writer I thought there would be some great descriptions of the fabulous places she visited...but it was almost all about relationships (and her cat, which I dont mind reading about because I'm a cat lover, but if you hated them, you would probably find it excessive).

Bottom line - there is much better chick lit out there dealing with traveling and relationships.
Maya
Dec 27, 2008 Maya rated it did not like it
Geez..what a strange way to write a story. I can not really get in to the story..
Oky Septya
Sep 07, 2010 Oky Septya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit
already posted on http://sinopsisuntukmu.blogspot.com/2...

Wanderlust menceritakan seorang wanita modern, Kate Bogart hidup nomaden karena pekerjaannya sebagai penulis kolom perjalanan di salah satu koran New York, rubrik “Wish You Were Here”. Salah satu kolom wisata yang menuntut Kate berkeliling dunia. Malam ini dia di Perancis keesokan paginya ia sudah tiba di London.

Diantara kesibukannya, Kate rutin mengirim email pada Ibunya yang gila judi, merecoki sahabatnya agar mau mengurus apartemen dan
Liana
Jan 14, 2008 Liana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nemu buku di sofa coklat milik kawan saya dirumahnya...
bertulis chicklit "being single and happy" hahahahaha
taraa... covernya ketcii banget hehehe bluee... dah gitu gambar mbak-mbak kaya mo minggat ada stiker2 lucu nempel di travelling bagnya..
teruma tulisan TIMBUKTU
hwaa... *terobsesi mode ON buat kesana sejak kota itu nangkring di daftar otak saya semenjak membaca donal bebek jaman bahuela..

si Kate tokoh yg di critain ini kok rasanya saya ngerasa punya banyak kesamaan.....
sama2 suka kucing
suka
Erin
Jun 01, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
If ever I am forced to put down my red pen and venture beyond the safety of my chair and the confines of my office, I hope it’s because I’ve been given the opportunity to take on a job like Katie Bogart’s. I’ve always been interested in travel and I’ve always loved writing, so what could be more fun than being a travel writer?

Of course, it’s more difficult than it seems. Katie leads quite a hectic life, and I’m not sure I’d be able to keep up with such a fast-paced lifestyle -- not to mention al
Jenn
Feb 13, 2015 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
old entirely through e-mails between the main character and her friends, we get a peek at the jet-set life of a travel writer of a column called "Wish You Were Here." Though the life sounds glamourous, it becomes apparent that despite five star hotels and enough frequent flyer miles to flit off to Europe at a moment's notice, sometimes all you need is a reason to come home. Chris Dyer creates fabulous, unique characters that you root for until the very end.
Danielle
Mar 04, 2011 Danielle rated it liked it
obviously, we all knew who she was going to choose, so no surprise ending there. what i dislike about this book is the LACK of passion. yes, we know they had sex but it was hard to FEEL the passion. the ending was beyond BORING (i think i've seen the movie 8 times, so why put it in a book).

overall, the book lackluster. it might have been better without email and without the 'other guy' (or main guy, depending on how you look at it) being the ex-husband. i mean, who the hell was buying that! it
Margaretha Quina
Oct 05, 2015 Margaretha Quina rated it it was ok
The only thing that makes this book unique is the way it was written: It's refreshing to see Dyers' idea of narrating a story by showing e-mail exchange between the characters. I enjoyed reading through the e-mails and did not have a single clue that the writer was actually a man, the way he wrote in the female characters feels so womanly. Unfortunately, the story itself was just another chicklit, with superficial characters that does not really convey any meaningful message to the reader.
Kate
Nov 20, 2014 Kate rated it it was ok
An entire book of emails back and forth between the main character and her family and friends, as well as the two men vying for her attention. Fairly trite and eye-rolling in places but an extremely light read for an afternoon. You know what would have made my day? If Jack and Miles had gotten together instead and left Kate to figure out how to be a normal human being by herself. HA!
Roos
Nov 18, 2007 Roos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls
Shelves: happysingle
Kupikir akan menemukan petualangan juga di Chicklit ini, ternyata malah kebanyakan petualangan Si Kate Bogart terhadap para pria...but not bad lah, lebih banyak pengalaman Boogie dalam menikmati hotel yang mewah dan makanan atau minuman yang nikmat, Katie lebih suka suasana hospitality dan modernnya keromantisan dari tiap perjalanannya.Selain Ibu dan Bos yang funky, teman yang menyenangkan seperti Violet dan mantan suami yang masih cinta mati, serta kekasih baru yang mau berkorban apa saja asal ...more
Brittney Kochlin
May 09, 2015 Brittney Kochlin rated it it was amazing
Easy to read! Adore the e-mail format. Makes it easy to pick up where you left off! Adore the story. Perfect for any fan of chick-lit!
Melissa
Sep 18, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
3.5 stars--Cute format--all e-mail. Woman travel writer torn between two men, ex husband and a British writer. Funny.
Cassie
Jan 26, 2016 Cassie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: travel readers
Recommended to Cassie by: Kia
Shelves: global-travels
Somebody tell me what to do to get Kate's job.

This novel isn't the deepest, or most profound, but sometimes what you need is an entertaining, low maintenance book to enjoy and use to clear your head. Wanderlust is that book. It's written in email format (not terribly convincingly, but I'll buy it for the sake of the plot line) and chapters are divided by cities, so there's a decent amount of continuity there. It's a great car ride and air travel book, but I'm content to snuggle under my blanket
Dian
Dec 13, 2007 Dian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Shelves: mychicklit
di sela2 kegiatan kantor serta menghindar dari tatapan curiga sang Bos, akhirnya satu hari ga penuh kubisa tamatkannya. Bikin pusing juga cara penulisannya, tapi justru aku baru baca buku yang cara penulisannya kayak gini.
Menghibur saat hariku tidak sedang bagus.
Ceritanya:
Edan benul, bikin pusing tapi interesting, penasaran juga pengen tau akhirnya kayak gimana. Walaupun udah bisa ditebak sih, yang seru waktu Jack sama Miles kejebak badai di gunung bersalju diketinggian 9000mdpl lebih, soalnya c
Nilam Suri
Oct 10, 2007 Nilam Suri rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: buat yang ingin jalan-jalan keliling dunia
Shelves: chick-lit
biasanya, cewek-cewek chicklit itu selalu kikuk, insecure, dan nggak keren. Posisi mereka biasanya selalu berada di bawah si laki-laki.

But Kate Bogart, a travel journalist, none of the aboves. She's witty, fun, cool, and very secure. Sembari berkeliling dunia, dari satu hotel mewah ke hotel mewah lainnya, Kate dengan penuh gaya berhasil membuat dua orang laki-laki bertekuk lutut.

Mungkin beginilah seharusnya chicklit ditulis, dan nggak cuma mengajarkan cewek-cewek gimana duduk sabar didepan telfo
Novie
Apr 29, 2010 Novie rated it liked it
This book is written in emails between the characters. Kate Bogart is a travel journalist. She loves traveling, her cat Truman, and trapped between her handsome ex-husband and a British travel journalist friend named Miles Maxwell. She also has a great best friend, mom, and editor who always support her.
In the end, she chooses the British journalist just like I expected. I prefer him to her ex-husband because you can really feel his respectful and elegant style but still friendly and charming.
Th
Faith
Mar 13, 2012 Faith rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
In this age of text messages, tweets and status updates, incredibly it seems kind of quaint to read a book comprised entirely of e-mails. Ranging from lengthy and serious to short and witty, this construct actually worked for me even though I was sure I wouldn't like it. While the book overall is airy and light, the subject matter is somewhat deep: What do you REALLY want out of life and how do you get there?

Perfect escapist fun that will make you think about your life a little bit (totally mak
Ellen Joy
Aug 03, 2015 Ellen Joy rated it did not like it
I'm having a hard time putting into words how much I dislike this book, but I'll try: unrealistic, boring, cliche..
Heather
Jan 11, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: 50-books-2009
This book is written entirely in e-mails between the characters. I thought this would be a cumbersome, boring way to read a book, but really it was intriguing in a naughty, I-shouldn't-get-to-read-other-people's-emails kind of way. Kate Bogart, our protagonist, is a travel writer who is constantly on the go, and winds up finding herself ensnared in a passionate relationship with both her ex-husband and a fellow travel writer. Dishy and fun, and recommended as a GOOD-stupid read.
Carrie B
Feb 18, 2010 Carrie B rated it really liked it
I knew this would be a fluffy chick piece when I saw it on the shelves at the Salvation Army, but it was 49¢ so there was no losing out. Some chick lit books leave me irritated, but Wanderlust kept my attention the entire length of the book. She had a few too many romantic trysts, but the traveling and dude-swapping was part of what kept it moving along so quickly. I give this two thumbs up for a summer read. Highly intellectual? No. Highly entertaining? Sure!
Sherri Hunter
Jun 02, 2013 Sherri Hunter rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This is a new to me author and after reading this book, I will definitely be on the lookout for more by this author. This book follows the life and travels of a writer who writes travel articles for a magazine. The book is written completely in email format, which I enjoyed and follows our frequent flyer, Kate Bogart (affectionately known as Bogie by her close friends) as she traipses all over the world finding romance. I recommend this book.
Sara
Nov 02, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
The writing is fun and I like a good epistolary novel (e-mails in this case). However, Kate Bogart in real life would be one of those women whom men left and right fall in love with for no goddamn reason at all. I don't get it. I know I'm supposed to find her fiercely independent and glamorous but she comes across as selfish, flighty, and self-absorbed. And I really loathe people like that.

Jack and Miles should have went gay for each other.
Jeannette
Feb 11, 2010 Jeannette rated it it was ok
The plot of this book is a bit contrived, I mean you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out who the main character is going to end up with but it was mildly entertaining. It was an interesting format...the entire book was done in emails between characters. That is either a fairly genius way of writing or a total cop out and a way of covering up a total lack of ability...I'm still not sure which way I am leaning on that.
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Pengen banget jadi Kate Bogart..!! duh enaknya punya pekerjaan seperti itu..!! salah satu chiklit bagus menurutku..Kate terjebak 2 pilihan; antara mantan suaminya dan wartawan perang ganteng..manakah yang jadi pilihannya?? adegan terfavorit..sesuatu yang melibatkan gunung es, 2 pria yang saling berpelukan erat satu sama lain..dan seorang wanita yang cemas menanti kedua pria ini pulang dalam keadaan selamat..
Diego Christian
Oct 21, 2012 Diego Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travelogue, romance
Seru! Senang membaca inovasi novel dari kumpulan email seperti Wanderlust. Pengetahuan tentang daerah wisata juga bertambah. Agak tersendat membacanya, tetapi tidak mengurangi kekaguman saya pada novel ini. Sayang sekali endingnya kurang menendang, walaupun saya tahu Kate Bogart akan berakhir pada orang yang mana. Tetap juara untuk Chris membuat novel ini. Keren. :)
Talitha
Apr 19, 2011 Talitha rated it it was ok
writing traveling column on new york newspaper, kate bogart moves on every country in this world revealing its beauty to the reader, while talking to her mom and her best friend through e-mail regularly. its just her love life didn't work as good as her life..well you need to read it, and hopefully it wont confuse you since it was written as in real e-mail.
Jeb
Jul 03, 2007 Jeb rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: femmes
Chicklit at its finest, Wanderlust is as modern and stylish as Sex and the City and rife with all the neatly-tied-with-a-bow coincidences of a 1930's stage comedy. Kate Bogart is likeable as our flighty, dramatic, and independent heroine, and author Chris Dyer is Janet Evanovich, Cole Porter, and Rick Steves all rolled up into one.
Nanny SA
May 05, 2011 Nanny SA rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, 2011
Awalnya mengharapkan cerita tentang perjalanan yang mengasyikan ternyata ceritanya dkemas dalam bentuk surat menyurat ( via email), anatara Kate Bogart seorang wartawati yang meliput tempat-tempat wisata dengan teman, ibu, bos, mantan suami, dll.
Terasa agak bosan mebacanya, kurang bisa dinikmati.
nila
Aug 17, 2012 nila rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Dua setengah bintang. Baru pertamakali baca epistolary novel, tidak ada dialog, kurang deskripsi, dan plotnya cepat, tapi ternyata lumayan juga.

Yang membuat saya memberi kurang dari bintang tiga, hanya karena saya tidak simpatik dengan karakter utama wanitanya.
Cheisa
cerita ttg cewek pecinta kebebasan yg menjalani pekerjaannya sebagai hobby dan kecintaan. Akhirnya jatuh cinta..

sayang alur yg diceritakan melalui e-mail2 antar tokoh2nya, bikin agak ga mudeng secara gw suka lupa emailnya dari dan untuk siapa2 aja..hehehe...
  • The Love Trainer
  • Accidentally Fabulous (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene, #3)
  • Bachelor Boys
  • The Man I Should Have Married
  • Perfect Strangers
  • The Woodland Folk in Fairyland
  • Society Girls
  • The Last Year of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Film Directing Fundamentals: See Your Film Before Shooting
  • Deep Writing
  • The Pigeon (Sweet Angel #1)