Wanderlust

Wanderlust

2.86 of 5 stars 2.86  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Writing a low-budget travel column for a New York newspaper is a dream for young Kate Bogart, but as she soon finds, the travel fulfills her--but the distance it kills her. A saucy and lighthearted novel that will leave readers happy to be along for the ride.
Published January 28th 2003 by Plume

Bridget
I picked this up because when I read that the main character was a travel writer I thought there would be some great descriptions of the fabulous places she visited...but it was almost all about relationships (and her cat, which I dont mind reading about because I'm a cat lover, but if you hated them, you would probably find it excessive).

Bottom line - there is much better chick lit out there dealing with traveling and relationships.
Maya
Geez..what a strange way to write a story. I can not really get in to the story..
Oky Septya
already posted on http://sinopsisuntukmu.blogspot.com/2...

Wanderlust menceritakan seorang wanita modern, Kate Bogart hidup nomaden karena pekerjaannya sebagai penulis kolom perjalanan di salah satu koran New York, rubrik “Wish You Were Here”. Salah satu kolom wisata yang menuntut Kate berkeliling dunia. Malam ini dia di Perancis keesokan paginya ia sudah tiba di London.

Diantara kesibukannya, Kate rutin mengirim email pada Ibunya yang gila judi, merecoki sahabatnya agar mau mengurus apartemen dan...more
Liana
Nemu buku di sofa coklat milik kawan saya dirumahnya...
bertulis chicklit "being single and happy" hahahahaha
taraa... covernya ketcii banget hehehe bluee... dah gitu gambar mbak-mbak kaya mo minggat ada stiker2 lucu nempel di travelling bagnya..
teruma tulisan TIMBUKTU
hwaa... *terobsesi mode ON buat kesana sejak kota itu nangkring di daftar otak saya semenjak membaca donal bebek jaman bahuela..

si Kate tokoh yg di critain ini kok rasanya saya ngerasa punya banyak kesamaan.....
sama2 suka kucing
suka...more
Erin
If ever I am forced to put down my red pen and venture beyond the safety of my chair and the confines of my office, I hope it’s because I’ve been given the opportunity to take on a job like Katie Bogart’s. I’ve always been interested in travel and I’ve always loved writing, so what could be more fun than being a travel writer?

Of course, it’s more difficult than it seems. Katie leads quite a hectic life, and I’m not sure I’d be able to keep up with such a fast-paced lifestyle -- not to mention al...more
Danielle
obviously, we all knew who she was going to choose, so no surprise ending there. what i dislike about this book is the LACK of passion. yes, we know they had sex but it was hard to FEEL the passion. the ending was beyond BORING (i think i've seen the movie 8 times, so why put it in a book).

overall, the book lackluster. it might have been better without email and without the 'other guy' (or main guy, depending on how you look at it) being the ex-husband. i mean, who the hell was buying that! it...more
Roos
Nov 18, 2007 Roos rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls
Shelves: happysingle
Kupikir akan menemukan petualangan juga di Chicklit ini, ternyata malah kebanyakan petualangan Si Kate Bogart terhadap para pria...but not bad lah, lebih banyak pengalaman Boogie dalam menikmati hotel yang mewah dan makanan atau minuman yang nikmat, Katie lebih suka suasana hospitality dan modernnya keromantisan dari tiap perjalanannya.Selain Ibu dan Bos yang funky, teman yang menyenangkan seperti Violet dan mantan suami yang masih cinta mati, serta kekasih baru yang mau berkorban apa saja asal...more
Cassie
Oct 23, 2013 Cassie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: travel readers
Recommended to Cassie by: Kia
Shelves: travel
Somebody tell me what to do to get Kate's job.

This novel isn't the deepest, or most profound, but sometimes what you need is an entertaining, low maintenance book to enjoy and use to clear your head. Wanderlust is that book. It's written in email format (not terribly convincingly, but I'll buy it for the sake of the plot line) and chapters are divided by cities, so there's a decent amount of continuity there. It's a great car ride and air travel book, but I'm content to snuggle under my blanket...more
Dian
Dec 13, 2007 Dian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Shelves: mychicklit
di sela2 kegiatan kantor serta menghindar dari tatapan curiga sang Bos, akhirnya satu hari ga penuh kubisa tamatkannya. Bikin pusing juga cara penulisannya, tapi justru aku baru baca buku yang cara penulisannya kayak gini.
Menghibur saat hariku tidak sedang bagus.
Ceritanya:
Edan benul, bikin pusing tapi interesting, penasaran juga pengen tau akhirnya kayak gimana. Walaupun udah bisa ditebak sih, yang seru waktu Jack sama Miles kejebak badai di gunung bersalju diketinggian 9000mdpl lebih, soalnya c...more
Nilam Suri
Oct 10, 2007 Nilam Suri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: buat yang ingin jalan-jalan keliling dunia
Shelves: chick-lit
biasanya, cewek-cewek chicklit itu selalu kikuk, insecure, dan nggak keren. Posisi mereka biasanya selalu berada di bawah si laki-laki.

But Kate Bogart, a travel journalist, none of the aboves. She's witty, fun, cool, and very secure. Sembari berkeliling dunia, dari satu hotel mewah ke hotel mewah lainnya, Kate dengan penuh gaya berhasil membuat dua orang laki-laki bertekuk lutut.

Mungkin beginilah seharusnya chicklit ditulis, dan nggak cuma mengajarkan cewek-cewek gimana duduk sabar didepan telfo...more
Novie
This book is written in emails between the characters. Kate Bogart is a travel journalist. She loves traveling, her cat Truman, and trapped between her handsome ex-husband and a British travel journalist friend named Miles Maxwell. She also has a great best friend, mom, and editor who always support her.
In the end, she chooses the British journalist just like I expected. I prefer him to her ex-husband because you can really feel his respectful and elegant style but still friendly and charming.
Th...more
Faith
Mar 13, 2012 Faith rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
In this age of text messages, tweets and status updates, incredibly it seems kind of quaint to read a book comprised entirely of e-mails. Ranging from lengthy and serious to short and witty, this construct actually worked for me even though I was sure I wouldn't like it. While the book overall is airy and light, the subject matter is somewhat deep: What do you REALLY want out of life and how do you get there?

Perfect escapist fun that will make you think about your life a little bit (totally mak...more
Heather T.
This book is written entirely in e-mails between the characters. I thought this would be a cumbersome, boring way to read a book, but really it was intriguing in a naughty, I-shouldn't-get-to-read-other-people's-emails kind of way. Kate Bogart, our protagonist, is a travel writer who is constantly on the go, and winds up finding herself ensnared in a passionate relationship with both her ex-husband and a fellow travel writer. Dishy and fun, and recommended as a GOOD-stupid read.
Carrie B
I knew this would be a fluffy chick piece when I saw it on the shelves at the Salvation Army, but it was 49¢ so there was no losing out. Some chick lit books leave me irritated, but Wanderlust kept my attention the entire length of the book. She had a few too many romantic trysts, but the traveling and dude-swapping was part of what kept it moving along so quickly. I give this two thumbs up for a summer read. Highly intellectual? No. Highly entertaining? Sure!
Sharal Hunter
This is a new to me author and after reading this book, I will definitely be on the lookout for more by this author. This book follows the life and travels of a writer who writes travel articles for a magazine. The book is written completely in email format, which I enjoyed and follows our frequent flyer, Kate Bogart (affectionately known as Bogie by her close friends) as she traipses all over the world finding romance. I recommend this book.
Sara
The writing is fun and I like a good epistolary novel (e-mails in this case). However, Kate Bogart in real life would be one of those women whom men left and right fall in love with for no goddamn reason at all. I don't get it. I know I'm supposed to find her fiercely independent and glamorous but she comes across as selfish, flighty, and self-absorbed. And I really loathe people like that.

Jack and Miles should have went gay for each other.
Jeannette
The plot of this book is a bit contrived, I mean you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out who the main character is going to end up with but it was mildly entertaining. It was an interesting format...the entire book was done in emails between characters. That is either a fairly genius way of writing or a total cop out and a way of covering up a total lack of ability...I'm still not sure which way I am leaning on that.
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Pengen banget jadi Kate Bogart..!! duh enaknya punya pekerjaan seperti itu..!! salah satu chiklit bagus menurutku..Kate terjebak 2 pilihan; antara mantan suaminya dan wartawan perang ganteng..manakah yang jadi pilihannya?? adegan terfavorit..sesuatu yang melibatkan gunung es, 2 pria yang saling berpelukan erat satu sama lain..dan seorang wanita yang cemas menanti kedua pria ini pulang dalam keadaan selamat..
Diego Christian
Seru! Senang membaca inovasi novel dari kumpulan email seperti Wanderlust. Pengetahuan tentang daerah wisata juga bertambah. Agak tersendat membacanya, tetapi tidak mengurangi kekaguman saya pada novel ini. Sayang sekali endingnya kurang menendang, walaupun saya tahu Kate Bogart akan berakhir pada orang yang mana. Tetap juara untuk Chris membuat novel ini. Keren. :)
Talitha
writing traveling column on new york newspaper, kate bogart moves on every country in this world revealing its beauty to the reader, while talking to her mom and her best friend through e-mail regularly. its just her love life didn't work as good as her life..well you need to read it, and hopefully it wont confuse you since it was written as in real e-mail.
Jeb
Jul 03, 2007 Jeb rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: femmes
Chicklit at its finest, Wanderlust is as modern and stylish as Sex and the City and rife with all the neatly-tied-with-a-bow coincidences of a 1930's stage comedy. Kate Bogart is likeable as our flighty, dramatic, and independent heroine, and author Chris Dyer is Janet Evanovich, Cole Porter, and Rick Steves all rolled up into one.
Nanny SA
Awalnya mengharapkan cerita tentang perjalanan yang mengasyikan ternyata ceritanya dkemas dalam bentuk surat menyurat ( via email), anatara Kate Bogart seorang wartawati yang meliput tempat-tempat wisata dengan teman, ibu, bos, mantan suami, dll.
Terasa agak bosan mebacanya, kurang bisa dinikmati.
nila
Dua setengah bintang. Baru pertamakali baca epistolary novel, tidak ada dialog, kurang deskripsi, dan plotnya cepat, tapi ternyata lumayan juga.

Yang membuat saya memberi kurang dari bintang tiga, hanya karena saya tidak simpatik dengan karakter utama wanitanya.
Cheisa
cerita ttg cewek pecinta kebebasan yg menjalani pekerjaannya sebagai hobby dan kecintaan. Akhirnya jatuh cinta..

sayang alur yg diceritakan melalui e-mail2 antar tokoh2nya, bikin agak ga mudeng secara gw suka lupa emailnya dari dan untuk siapa2 aja..hehehe...
Dessertmania
Hmm...I wanna be like Kate Bogart. As a journalist for New York newspaper, her life is really inspiring! But despite all beautiful setting ... Madrid, Lisbon, bla bla bla, this story is too slow and boring.
Tracy
May 28, 2008 Tracy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Alison
Fun book about a travel writer's adventures. Great fiction for the girl obsessed with travel writing...you know who you are....

The whole book is actually emails back and forth...pretty inventive.
Meaghan
I loved that the story was all in email format and if I had to pick a different career path, a writer for a travel column would be right up there...would recommend for fun, quick summer read!
Beth
Great fun! Clever writing, particularly in the email formats when the reader can almost hear, for instance, the Londoner's accent, and the titters and squeals of the Perpetual Bingo gals.
Cassey
I was excited to read this book, since Marian Keyes loved it and she is one of my fav authors. Unfortunately....it was just really really slow. Parts of it were good.....
Rahmadiyanti
Tertarik karena soal traveling dan ada kucingnya, tapi ughh... 1/3 baca udah bosen. Maaf deh, nggak lanjut baca. Ngabisin waktu aja.
  • Bachelor Boys
  • How To Meet Cute Boys
  • Breakfast at Stephanie's
  • Bangkok: The Journal
  • The Accidental Virgin
  • The Last Year Of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • On The Verge
  • Negeri Senja: Roman
  • Engaging Men
  • Kukila
  • A Question Of Love
Chris Dyer grew up in Lowell, MA. Dyer studied filmmaking at Emerson College in Boston..followed up by an MFA in Dramatic Writing from NYU.
More about Chris Dyer...
The Loves of a D-Girl Quotes for the Journey Through Life Plants, Potions and Oils for Horses Mail je me? Positive Creations: The Visionary Art of Chris Dyer