Start by marking “Blood Brothers” as Want to Read:
Blood Brothers

Blood Brothers

Another page-turning story of tragedy and triumph from the No.1 bestselling author of The Loner and The Journey.

Alice Jacobs has finally found the family she always wanted…

With her shy smile and kind nature, Alice wins the hearts of the Arnold family. A decent and well respected couple,Tom and Nancy Arnold have raised two very different sons, Frank and Joe.

Frank is a devio

Published January 1st 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Blood Brothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Brothers

Alice Bola
Apr 30, 2012 Alice Bola rated it it was ok
It’s been a long time since I read a novel that actually made me angry. I’m not talking about the kind of anger that comes from a novel skillfully written which conjures genuine emotions. I’m talking about a different kind of anger that is self-imposed because I could kick myself for investing this much time on Blood Brothers.

I’m hard-pressed to find something positive to write. Right from the beginning, Ms. Cox made Alice so annoying perfect. She’s pretty and kind and free spirited enough that
Helen Gazzara
Jan 10, 2015 Helen Gazzara rated it did not like it
I had seen Josephine Cox books around for years, but had, for some unknown reason, avoided them. Now that I have read this one, I know that my instincts had been not only correct, but in overdrive. How to describe this book? Interestingly, the plot and premise were quite strong, but what let this book down was the cheesy, schmaltzy writing style, especially in the descriptions of the characters, which, despite Ms Cox' best efforts, she still managed to render them as unrelentingly one ...more
Nada Abdallah
Nov 27, 2015 Nada Abdallah rated it did not like it
boredom takes control.

0/5
Anna
Oct 09, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
After it warmed up I was hooked. I didn't feel Alice really loved Frank from the beginning, so the impending marriage wasn't too credible, especially when we quickly find out Frank is a psycho who enjoys killing animals and she has feelings for Joe. I don't normally read romance, but this was a mix of romance and thriller. The intricate plot and pace kept me intrigued. At times brutal, at others homely depictions of a farming life up North. Four stars for being an easy, entertaining read.
Andrea at Reading Lark
Review Posted on Reading Lark 8/12/11: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2011/...

Blood Brothers is a modernized Cain and Able tale in which two brothers in 1950's England are vying for the attention of the same woman, the young and beautiful Alice Jacobs. Written in haunting prose, Blood Brothers seeped into my veins creating a chill that I couldn't shake. The story lived within my head even when the book was not open and I couldn't help but experience the terror along with Alice.

Josephine Cox tak
Ellen
Jan 28, 2016 Ellen rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst books I've ever read. Full of clichés, with characters who make the most ridiculous decisions and who, presumably for plot development, talk aloud to themselves, to sleeping partners and, in one instance, to a wounded falcon! The main characters are caricatures: the Good Brother, the Bad Brother, the Innocent Woman Who Loves Them Both, the Cruel Mother - to name but a few. When the author can't think of a way to move the plot along she just informs us that the character ...more
Lisa
Mar 24, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, own, romance
Joe left his family home a year ago, when his brother brought home a girl called Alice. Joe has instantly fallen for her and now a year later will be his brother Franks best man. As soon as he sees Alice again he knows his feelings for her have not gone!
Spending more time together they confess feelings for each other and spend the night in the barn together. Alice decides to still marry Frank.
After the wedding celebrations are over and her and Frank are alone, things go from bad to worse as Fr
Dorothy
Nov 10, 2015 Dorothy rated it did not like it
I couldn't read this book. I lasted two chapters!

Josephine Cox breaks so many "rules" of writing, it distracted me. Head-hopping all over the place, endlessly repeating the same information about the characters' motivations and feelings (was that in case the reader is too dumb to understand it the first time, or is that just a convention of Romance writing?). I got bored very quickly. You could see from Chapter 1 where it would go, and it didn't seem worth ploughing through such a long book whe
Kingfan30
My husband uncharacteristically got me this book (he normally moans I have too many and doesn't like to add to the collections!). We had been to see Blood Brothers in London (which is a fantastic show by the way) so I think he picked this up thinking that it had something to do with the show. How wrong could he be! This story is so predictable and I did not really take to any of the characters, especially Alice. And was it me or did the characters talk to themselves quite a lot? Not the story ...more
Inge
Apr 07, 2016 Inge rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this book. Obviously, it was not 100 per cent believable, but I was quite willing to suspend my disbelief in order to enjoy the novel. Note - I "read" the audio book version and the audio was very well done. The only real fault I found with the novel was that I felt the author "wrapped up" the story way too quickly at the end.
Jules
Sep 13, 2014 Jules rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, & found it very hard to put down.

I've read a few novels by Josephine Cox, & find I always thoroughly enjoy them. I find her writing style easy to read, & the stories & characters she creates are always believable. It's easy to get emotionally involved when it comes to her books.
Sharon Reeves
Aug 27, 2013 Sharon Reeves rated it it was ok
I always like to read a Josephine Cox book, when I want an easy to read, safe, story, that i know I will get into quickly, and I don't have to think much. This had the same thing as a lot of her books, the good brother Vs Bad brother element, quite unbelievably extreme in places. For me this was not one of her better books.
Grace
Dec 01, 2011 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I didn't know what to expect but it kept me entertained. Funnily enough, the last book I read was also set in the 1950's but I think that this author did a much better job with the story. Definately worth a read.
Dilys
Mar 06, 2011 Dilys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I enjoyed this novel very much one of Josephines better books. Alice & Joe,s love for one another a forbidden love,her fiance is his brother, she then marries him but truth will out & revenge takes place.
Jo Barton
Nov 10, 2011 Jo Barton rated it liked it
I haven't read a Josephine Cox book for several years.

As usual the story is fairly predictable - good girl meets bad boy with disastrous consequences - but this one has a couple of unexpected twists.

I enjoyed this light and easy read, and will look out for more of her books.
Maria
Aug 08, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it
that's a good book for me, one I cannot put down. I did sympathise a little with Alice. One thing I didn't like is that in the beginning I found it really dragging and I was about to stop reading many times but then the story picked a pace and I could not put the book down.
Emily
Nov 02, 2011 Emily added it
I read over half way through this book and towards the end it just got aggressive, they had just got married and starting fighting and I did not really get what was happening I would not recommend this book!
Ria
Mar 06, 2013 Ria rated it it was amazing
An exciting page turning tale set in the fifties of Alice Jacobs and her disastrous marriage to Frank Arnold. Alice is in love with Frank's brother Joe and when both give in to their feelings just before the wedding things take a disastrous turn leading to murder and heartbreak.
Kimberley
Jul 01, 2013 Kimberley rated it did not like it
It started out well....and then went downhill rather rapidly. It's not often that I do not finish a book...I didn't even get half way through this one..
Di
Sep 15, 2011 Di rated it did not like it
Shelves: garbage
Not what I thought it was going to be like. The blurb on the back cover does not give you an indication of whats really goes on inside.
Paige Barker
Jul 08, 2015 Paige Barker rated it it was amazing
this book was a nice book that I felt was a creative and beautiful book, it didn't start of too well but it improved throughout the book and was a incredible read for me.
Joanne Nock
Dec 12, 2014 Joanne Nock rated it it was amazing
At first I found this a little slow. However, it picked up pace rapidly and was a great read. A story of real love and tragedy.
Mandy Downie
Jan 26, 2012 Mandy Downie rated it it was amazing
I love JC , have read all her books and yes sometimes they can be a bit samey but I always get lost in them and don't want it to finish!
Mso
Nov 15, 2012 Mso rated it liked it
Good girl meets bad boy with disastrous consequences, but this one has a couple of unexpected twists. The story is fairly predictable I enjoyed this easy to read book.
June Witty
Aug 11, 2014 June Witty rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the book till the end. The end of the book was not what I expected not enough about Joe and Alice and the ending was too rushed.
Beth Boyce
Beth Boyce rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Gill
Gill rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Becky Martin
Becky Martin rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
  • The Fast Track Detox Diet
  • Take A Look At Me Now
  • Family Betrayal
  • Woman Walks Into a Bar
  • Falconfar (Falconfar Saga, #3)
  • Pinkerton's Sister
  • Cranford: and other stories
  • Coming Home
  • Flatmates
  • Love Is A Four Letter Word
  • Born Evil
  • Since I Don't Have You
  • Forget Me Not
  • The Kinsella Sisters (Lissamore, #1)
Josephine Cox was born in Blackburn, one of ten children. At the age of sixteen, Josephine met and married her husband Ken, and had two sons. When the boys started school, she decided to go to college and eventually gained a place at university but was unable to take this up as it would have meant living away from home. Instead, she went into teaching – and started to write her first full-length ...more
More about Josephine Cox...