Start by marking “Cooking with Italian Grandmothers: Recipes and Stories from Tuscany to Sicily” as Want to Read:
Cooking with Italian Grandmothers: Recipes and Stories from Tuscany to Sicily

Cooking with Italian Grandmothers: Recipes and Stories from Tuscany to Sicily

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  15 reviews
WINNER 2011 IACP Judges Choice Cookbook Award (International Association of Culinary Professionals)
WINNER 2011 IPPY Gold Award (Independent Publisher Book Awards)
Best Italian Cookbook of 2010 - Publisher's Weekly

American chef Jessica Theroux spent a year traveling throughout Italy, cooking and talking with Italian grandmothers, learning their secrets and listening to their
Published September 28th 2010 by Welcome Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Cooking with Italian Grandmothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking with Italian Grandmothers

Tom
This cookbook is a mixture of stories about the Italian grandmothers Jessica spends a year in Italy cooking with as well recipes that come from those meetings. The cookbook's goal seems to be geared more towards authenticity than accessability.There are lots of recipes that are time consuming and/or contain hard to find ingredients. But unlike some cookbooks, Theroux fully explains techniques needed for these recipes. Some people might have a problem with the fact that the some of the recipes ar ...more
Kristyn
Jessica Theroux takes a year to travel through Italy and spend time with families and grandmothers. She learns recipes from the regions and some of the best meals from each person. The recipes included are full of stories and connected to the land of each city or town. She writes about each place and family for several pages before getting each section of recipes, so it's more than just a cookbook. This is definitely a book to own, and I'm sad that I have to return it to the library without a ch ...more
Nicole
I have a confession. I collect cookbooks. That sounds like it's nothing but you need to understand, I have a serious cookbook addiction. As in, every time I order off Amazon, you can rest assured that a cookbook (or two) is heading my way. It's getting to the point where I might need to purchase more shelves. I love reading cookbooks like picturebooks, having a stack of post-its next to me so I can mark what recipes I'd like to try.

This particular cookbook helps my research and also satiates my
Sarah Bringhurst
This book is a treasure. As a young chef, Jessica spent a year in Italy, learning from Italian grandmothers about food and about life. She spent several weeks with each of the twelve women, and dedicated a chapter to each one and her recipes. The women's life stories and wisdom are interwoven with a wonderful collection of truly mouth-watering recipes.

Here is one of my favorite quotes:

"Carluccia taught me to pay attention to each little thing in my cooking. Where is this fruit or vegetable in it
Abby
The recipes are simple and easy to follow. Theroux's description of her time in Italy has inspired me to learn as much Italian as I can while in Italy so I can find some grandmothers of my own to cook, chat, laugh, and cry with.
Maria
This book is beautifully designed, the cover and leaf and inside papers etc are wonderful. The beauty of the book jacket and the poetic title made this irresistible.
I was let down, though, by the accessibility of recipes. This book seems to be meant for chefs.
Also was not impressed with the photos in this book - they were dark, grainy.
Sorry, I really wanted to like this but I'm glad now I read a library copy instead of buying.
Karen
I liked this book because it reminded me of my own childhood, growing up at my grandmother's table. The author travels to many parts of Italy and then stays with a grandmother in her home. These women then teach her how to cook a few of their traditional dishes. When she becomes ill during her travels, she learns how truly healing food prepared by these women in the traditional ways can be. The recipes are included.
Marianna
As a cookbook this isn't so great...really, how often am I going to prepare rabbit? And the recipes are all fairly labor intensive, good for Sunday's but not every day. But the stories that preface each section are wonderful. Theroux captures the mood of a way of life that just doesn't exist in too many places these days, but one that we all wish did.
Heather
I LOVED this cookbook, because not only does it have some amazing traditional Italian recipes, it also tells the story of Italy and how important the traditions of cooking are to their communities. I ended up with not just one, but TWO, copies of this book!
Monique Scheyd
Enticing and earthy. The author takes us into the kitchens and personalities of various women she cooks with on a fascinating journey through Italy. An interesting read for cooking enthusiasts and fans of the Slow Food movement.
Janet Clark
Can't help but fall in love with these beautiful old women--their delicious food, their personal histories, their amazing contribution to California cuisine and our interest in healthy eating.
Leslie
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's nice to read things that give you a real feel for a place and people. There are several recipes I'm going to try too.
Becky
I liked reading the stories and found a few recipes that I want to try. There were some recipes that seemed kind of outdated (how many people make rabbit now?)
Cathy
This is a great cookbook for reading. Yes, I choose cookbooks for what they tell about the food, the recipe and the country.
Amy
Feb 21, 2012 Amy added it
I saw this on a friend's table, such a pretty cookbook, can't wait to get started on some of the recipes.
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Tania Kelley
Tania Kelley marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Min
Min marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Jo-Lynn
Jo-Lynn marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Eliza
Eliza marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Edith Lanam
Edith Lanam marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
  • Huckleberry: Recipes, Stories, and Secrets from Our Kitchen
  • The Country Cooking of France
  • A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove: A History of American Women Told through Food, Recipes, and Remembrances
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Japanese Farm Food
Chef, teacher and author Jessica Theroux comes from both a culinary and artistic background. Her artistic background involves a year-long photographic residency at the Maine Photographic Workshops, and a degree in Visual Arts from Brown University. In 2003, Jessica was awarded the Arnold Fellowship to spend a year in Italy documenting culinary traditions. Her book Cooking with Italian Grandmothers ...more
More about Jessica Theroux...