Outside In: A Novel

Outside In: A Novel

2.91 of 5 stars 2.91  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  28 reviews
From one of America’s most beloved television actresses: A sharply observed, comedic novel about the flipside of fame—and a fresh take on Hollywood in all its outrageous, entertaining glory.

On the outside, Kate Keyes-Morgan seems to have it all: a starring role on the hit television series Generations, a handsome husband who is also her manager, a stick-thin figure, and a...more
Published September 18th 2007 by Broadway Books (first published 2007)

Alyce Eaton
Earlier this week, I went to the Harold Washington Library with my good friend Ellen (I live in Chicago now! Potential SURPRISE!). It was AWESOME and so huge! However, we were looking for one book in particular for a book club we were thinking of joining (didn't find it, so didn't join) and therefore basically ended up at one shelf, by which time it was getting late. So, I grabbed two books with authors whose last names start with T.

The first of these books is Outside In by Courtney Thorne-Smith...more
Lain
I was pleasantly surprised at Thorne Smith's writing. You just never know what to expect when an actor moves into the writing field (just like when a model says she wants to act... most of the time it's a big "Oh no!")

The story of hot starlet Katie and how her world turns upside down when her emotionally abusive and controlling husband dumps her is not deep or meaningful, but it is a pleasant diversion. The author obviously knows of whence she speaks, dropping names and tart commentary with equa...more
Julie Ehlers
I had high hopes for this. I'd seen some interviews with Courtney Thorne-Smith over the years and she always struck me as smart, articulate, and funny, so I thought there was a chance she'd make a good writer. Alas, while some parts of the book were funny (particularly some of the dialogue), this was pretty much run-of-the-mill chick lit with some incredibly cartoonish characters. I had kind of hoped it would be Thorne-Smith's thinly veiled account of life on the Melrose Place or Ally McBeal set...more
Julia
Yes, that Courtney Thorne Smith! I'll keep you posted. Well, I'd probably give this 1.5 stars if I could. Really just a glorified Harlequin with lots of insider type info about the LA/tv/movie world. Unfortunately, a lot of it revolves around food/dieting/body image, which I imagine, is very true. Kate doesn't so much stand up to her husband Hamilton, as he just leaves her for what looks to be a more malleable actress to control. Kate's subsequent re-hiring to her show as actress/producer is als...more
Anne
Courtney wrote beautifully. To me it is funny, how many of these weird, inscrutable things actually happen in Hollywood. With many friends in the industry, I am always awed by the wife changeing, life changing and odd behaviors of so many artists ..... and some hacks.

Thorne-Smith is a charming addition to the zany world, that often makes up the picture business.
Kathy
This book was fluffy and predictable but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The bad guys were all bad so I hated them and the good guys were all good so I loved them. I would liked to have seen Kate stand up to the bad guys a little bit but she had the last laugh in the end. What I liked the most were the witty conversations. It was easy and fun.
Deirdre Cook
Nov 09, 2007 Deirdre Cook added it  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: no one
I had to read this book for my book club - and no surprise here - it was horrible. The main character's husband was so rediculous that he wasn't even believable and the main character herself was such a wimp I ended up hating her. I felt like I was reading one of those horrible Lifetime movies.
Heather
Pretty bad book. It was predictable from start to finish - no element of surprise at all, and not even the tiniest plot twist. Also it was hard to read whenever the character "Hamilton" spoke. I'm sorry, but no one, not matter how self-absorbed speaks that way.
Tara
Another light and predictible read, but altogether entertaining. I found myself really rooting for the main character. The author is the actress we have heard of, and so I wondered how much of the book was based on her personal experiences.
Christina
The mindless fluff I was looking for. Enjoyable although I would have liked more time spent with the "new and improved Kate" than with the "I don't understand why she takes the abuse Kate". I did enjoy it more than I thought I would though.
Betsy
I enjoyed this far more than I care to admit, although the woman could have used a far better copy editor. There are a lot of grammatical and spelling errors, and in a reference to "Star Trek's" Tribbles, they are called Trebles.
Liz
This was a pretty good read. Hollywood drama, crazy people and some lovable ones too. If you are looking for something that doesn't require you to stay fully present...this is definately a good read.
Kristin Backus
Really enjoyed this book up til the end. I couldn't help but thinking how true is this for so many actresses. the last 50 or so pages picked up pace for the story so it was harder to picture.
Lydia
The author of this book is a well-known actress and the novel follows a path of expectation, with no surprises or turns. This is a typical Hollywood novel with no redeeming value.
Melissa Lewis
While I can't say I hated this book, it was very one dimensional and pretty shallow. If you're looking for a quick read, it's not bad.
Sherrie Petersen
It was one of those I had to read, despite my better judgement. And, well, it was no better or worse than I thought it would be.
Jenny
Dec 15, 2007 Jenny rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: sure
Read like a Lifetime movie. I actually met her and got the book signed. I think meeting her made the book better.
Sh
This book surprised me--liked it more than I expected. Good dialogue, funny & a fast read.
Lisa
Dialogue so surprisingly bad. And a trite, predictable story. Characters pretty unbelievable.
Danielle
Some celebs should not pen novels and just stick with acting. This book is proof.
Erika
A fun read...I particularly enjoyed the banter between Paige and Kate.....
Donna
hollywood tv star has jerk for husband and finally stands up for herself.
Christina Hickey
Free book from chapters ! It was alright for a free book
Almas Nasar
Fresh to boot!A definite holiday read :D
Robin
Apr 20, 2011 Robin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robin by: Ali
Fun read, better than expected
Aida
one hell of an amazing book!
Gina
Fluffy story about Hollywood.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Pitiful 1 7 Jun 20, 2009 09:12AM
Outside In: A Novel Courtney Thorne-Smith's Finding the Strong, Fit, and Healthy Living Courtney Thorne-Smith's Fiding the Strong, Fit, and Healthy Living: Finding the Healthy Living Plan that Works for You