Gardner's Art through the Ages: The Western Perspective (with Art Study & Timeline Printed Access Card)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  14,199 ratings  ·  88 reviews
As fascinating as a real visit to the world's famous museums and architectural sites, GARDNER'S ART THROUGH THE AGES: THE WESTERN PERSPECTIVE gives you a comprehensive, beautifully illustrated tour of the world's great artistic traditions--plus all the study tools you need to excel in your art history course! Easy to read and understand, this 13th Edition of the most widel...more
Published December 30th 2008 by Cengage Learning (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about Gardner's Art through the Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gardner's Art through the Ages

Mona
تاریخ هنر قدیمی و مرجع و کاملا استفاده شده در کتاب های درسی هنرستان... با ترتیبی خوب و عکس های کثیر تاریخ هنر رو توضیح داده
Adele Jones
This is the best textbook I ever had. Sadly, all the history I know comes from this book. I can't say if it is a good art-history book, since all the art-history I learned came from here, but I know it is very informative and interesting from 'the layman's perspective' (for lack of a less annoying term). Also, I have officially decided that this is one of my desert-island books, since I could spend practically forever reading it.
Brooke
When I was in college as a freshman, this textbook was assigned for a survey class. It was the first textbook I've ever decided to keep and since then, I have read it almost entirely. I don't have an AH degree or anything like that, but as a enthusiast I wuld recommend it for anyone who aspires to broaden their understanding of the history of art. It's easy to read, the annotations are terrific and I just really enjoy it.
Robyn26 loid
I read this book in college and found it to be very educational and enjoyable. I have enjoyed pulling this book out for review several times since then. I recently read a great book called, "The Art Dockuments" by author Carlton Davis. This a non-fiction book with a collection of stories about the Los Angeles art gallery in the 1980s. http://artdock.net/
Christina
Art Through the Ages was used during both of my Art History courses that I took in my undergraduate studio art program. I really enjoyed the sections of this book that we studied. It gives a broad, yet comprehensive, view about how art has progressed over time and the historical events that influenced its development. I found it easy to read and understand and really enjoyed the numerous color photos found through out the text. It's an extremely heavy book and not one I often wanted to carry aro...more
Charlotte
I really did read this textbook cover to cover, for an AP Art History class. From ancient to modern - it gives a good summary. Not good for in-depth knowledge on specific topics. The broad range of topics led me to do my own research and helped me with Renaissance, Modern and American Art History courses. Anyone who wants to gain some knowledge of art history should skim the text for terms to throw around in a museum to sound decently knowledgeable. The language is straight forward – heck it has...more
Debra
I read this text during my undergraduate studies. It was very dry and hard for me to read because of that. It's not the best laid out book either. There are much better art history survey texts out there. It is a massive book to be hauling around compass so most people didn't bring their's to the lecture. There were two books in this series when I was in college twenty + years ago. When I taught, I was glad the community college adapted a lighter art history survey text.
Ellen
I had to read the entire book in a school year for my art history class, and although there was a lot to get through, it is a quality textbook. Interesting to read with a good format and a large amount of information. I would recommend it to anyone into art history with a need for a compendium of all art from prehistoric to 20th century.
Michelle
A veritable tome of a book that is used as a main text book for visual art, but a great reference work for art enthusiasts. Worth every cent ... one of those books that takes pride of place on any book shelf at home.
Whanthatapril jeff
Great survey of the history of art. Originally published in the 1920's it remains the standard and most used. It has gone through zillions of editions. More recent versions come with a CD/DVD of photos.
blueMeridian
This is the 9th edition, hardcover. Comprehensive in terms of western art, with a good representation of non-European influences, it is understandably considered a standard text of art history education.
Kelly
Sep 24, 2012 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Art History Students or Want-to-Be Students
OK, so I read this for school, which tempers it a bit, but overall I found it a clear, easy-to-read history of art, good for getting an overview of a variety of periods, styles, and artists.
Joy
I had to buy this as a textbook for an art class in university. Unlike most textbooks, I kept this one. The images are beautiful, and the text is informative and easy to understand. That class was about 5 years ago, but I still find myself paging through this book every so often. I would definitely recommend it to anyone with an interest in art and the history thereof.
Shauna
I used this text to teach an introductory art history course at a community college. My class is one semester covering the whole history of art, and in that context I think this text was too advanced for this survey. It would be much better spread over two semesters because of the more academic and detailed discussions in the text. I also found some of their categorization of artists interesting, which is probably why they chose to follow a format grouped by time and region rather than by period...more
Johannah
Yes, I'm counting this as a read book because I literally read it from beginning to end. Silly Art History Class....
Jean Barrington
The best basic art history book around!
Becky
Copyright 2001. When in need of creative inspiration, must not forget art history. This book covers ancient art through WWII in 1200 coated pages -- definitely the heaviest book I have ever owned. It even has an attached ribbon bookmark. Perhaps it's sacrilege to say that I now prefer databases; timelines and interconnectedness just make more sense to me in a linked, interactive format, and the updates are always current. But this is a beautiful book, and one of the best.
Benton Quest
Good book! I have used it for refrence a lot. The writing is clear and understandable.
Shelby
Dec 15, 2007 Shelby rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! Well, anyone who appreciates art.
This book is the most valuable book I own. I know that as an art student (in particular an art education and art history student) I am very biased. But, this book has the highlights of EVERY time period, movement and genre of art. It doesn't use language that is too much for people to understand, yet it does not dumb things down or try the "cool talk" that you sometimes find in books. I love it more than anything!
Barbara Boles
A really great art history text book; for me, much better than Janson, which I used as an undergrad.
Laurel
This was a required text for my art history courses and remains a go-to resource for refreshers on art history.

A couple of years ago, I found a first edition of this book (1926), and was impressed anew at its scope. I collect old art history books (the shifting perspectives interest me), and Helen Gardner's open-minded understanding is impressive, particularly for the time she wrote it.
Becky Moore
I used a previous edition of Art Through the Ages, extensively, while I was a senior touring docent wirh the NCMA ... During which time I was thrilled to see how many connections there were between art history and society. I like this updated edition, too, and have found that it helps to establish a little background in my work as an author. Good, thorough book.
Yousef M
Textbook for my Art History II class (from the Renaissance onwards). I learned more about the art, history, religion, and culture of Europe than all of my previous courses combined. As someone who had a passing interest in art museums, I can safely say this book (and/or such courses that utilize this book) will broaden your horizons.
Ellis
read different editions of this book for 3 classes (1 in high school, 2 in college). This is THE authoritative survey of western art (it claims to cover non-western, but mostly does so only in one chapter as in, summarizing all of Islamic art in ONE chapter). Good for an intro, and not much else.
Shelbi
Wonderful book! It is my textbook for Art History, but it is still worth mentioning. In fact, it is probably the most interesting textbook I have ever read. The illustrations are astounding. In my opinon, everyone should own this heavier-than-your-average-coffee-table-book.
Erik Graff
Feb 12, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: art students
Recommended to Erik by: John Elkin
Shelves: art
Up until reading this I'd only read one general survey of art history, and that, years before. John Elkin, once a student of the Art Institute in Chicago, had used this as a school text and recommended it as a good general survey. It was.
Emily
Textbook for an art history class I took in college. Loved the class, loved the book (it weighs about 30 lbs). I still pull it off the shelf and read a chapter occassionally. Great reference, and would look great on the coffee table...if I had one.
Stephanie
best. textbook. ever.
Annamarie
Absolutely an amazing book on art history. It's easy to follow and get into. I know that I will continue to use this book for many years. I would recommend this to any teacher looking for an art history book.
Goodreads Librari...: Messed up ISBN results in incorrect entry 3 150 Dec 12, 2012 01:14PM
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages
  • History of Art
  • The King's Agent
  • The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History from Prehistoric to Post-Modern
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • The Shock of the New
  • History of Modern Art: Painting, Sculpture, Architecture, Photography
  • History of Beauty
  • The Lost Painting
  • The Last Nude
  • History of Italian Renaissance Art: Painting, Sculpture, Architecture
  • Sister Wendy's Story of Painting (Enhanced and Expanded Edition)
  • The Judgment of Paris: The Revolutionary Decade that Gave the World Impressionism
  • Rembrandt, 1606-1669: The Mystery of the Revealed Form
  • The Lives of the Artists
  • On Photography
  • The Art Spirit
  • An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers
Helen Gardner (1878–1946) was an American art historian and educator. Her Art Through the Ages remains a standard text for American art history classes.

Gardner was born in Manchester, New Hampshire and attended school in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago. In 1901 she graduated with a degree in classics from the University of Chicago.[1] After an interval as a teacher, she returned to the same...more
More about Helen Gardner...
Gardner's Art Through the Ages, Vol 1, Chapters 1-18 (w/Artstudy Student CD-ROM & Infotrac) Art Through the Ages, Study Guide Art Through the Ages 2 The First Girl Guide Limits of Literary Criticism