Start by marking “Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual” as Want to Read:
Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual

Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  657 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A totally revised edition of one of the best-selling books in the field. The best basic photography book on the market has now been updated to include all the latest techniques, materials, and processes.
Published May 30th 1983 by Little Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Black and White Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black and White Photography

Black and White Photography by Henry HorensteinClickologie by Erin SummerillHow to Start a Pet Photography Business by Kyle RichardsColor Photography by Henry HorensteinBeyond Basic Photography by Henry Horenstein
Photography Reading List
1st out of 15 books — 5 voters
The Ansel Adams Guide by John P. SchaeferThe Ansel Adams Guide by John P. SchaeferBlack and White Photography by Henry HorensteinA Short Course in Photography by Barbara LondonPhotography by Barbara London
Photographer's School
3rd out of 31 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca McNutt
Since I'm more into film photography than inferior digital photography methods, this book really appealed to me, but it also has detailed text, how-to instructions, photographic examples and illustrations to get the most out of your photos and important moments. Definitely worth reading if you're into art, history, photography or guidebooks.
Beata
My textbook way back when started formally studying photography. All the good basics were in here.
Nicole
This book was a fantastic manual for any photographer. I got it because I just got my first SLR camera, and wanted a book that would help me make sense of all the things the new camera lets me control manually, like the aperture and shutter speed. This book was perfect for that, explaining well how f-stops and shutter speeds effect photographs. It even finally cleared up something I'd never understood, which is why larger f-stop numbers denote smaller openings. That still sort of bugs me and see ...more
Caroline Philippone
Using this in conjunction with a class I'm teaching on darkroom black and white photography. I think it's really an invaluable tool to use, and allows my students to really understand all aspects of the darkroom much more clearly.
Vicster
This book has been on my to-read list for quite some time now and now I realize why my photography instructors recommended it. Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual is a very rich, well-organized photography manual. Horenstein gives just enough instruction and detail without being overwhelming or leaving the reader feeling as though lighting or processing one's own film is too complicated.

This book is geared toward photographers who shoot film, though folks who shoot digital can learn a gr
Falcon
Aug 21, 2010 Falcon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009, own
I had been taking photos with a 35mm for 6 years prior to reading this book, with two years of classes and darkroom experience under my belt.

It taught me so much that I had never learned in school or by my father who has done photography since he was 19.

Highly recommended for a beginner photographer interested in learning fundamental skills for black and white manual photography. A great reference guide that will always have a place on my bookshelf.
CD
I purchased a new copy of this as one of my first real acquisitions of photography books that had not been handed down to me or had to be purchased for school.

That original dog eared copy has been 'retired' to a safe corner shelf now held together with acid free ribbon.

An interesting book to look back on before the digital age, but still in a modern era of photography.

John Cowan
I found this book to be quite informative. For myself, having already been familiar with the shooting side of photography this manual was invaluable as a guide to begging darkroom techniques and procedures.

Highly recommended for photographers of all levels.
Cassidy
My wonderful photography teacher, Tom Young (at Greenfield Community College formerly at RISD), taught us from this book by RISD prof, Henry Horenstein. Fantastic manual, very straightforward. An absolute must for anyone who is learning B&W photography.
Ken
A very relevant read that is fully applicable to both traditional and digital photography. Any time I'm asked for a book that explains the basics of photography, I recommend this.
Jennifer Entwistle
This really is the best book to read if you want to know everything about the basics of B&W photography and darkroom! It should be required reading in all photography courses.
Sharada Prasad CS
A good book if BW film developing and printing is what interests you. Since I am into digital photography, only first 8 chapters of the book were useful for me.
Andrea
Nicely written book. Good at showing how you process chemical film, as well as tips on photography. A little outdated now, I imagine. Bummer!
Joe
Thoroughly covers basic darkroom study. Good classroom manual. There are others, but this is a good one to start with.
Roniq
A fabulous resource for those wanting to learn all they can about black and white photography.
Liz
Re-reading this great book that walks you through everything you need to know about photography.
Jakenv
Bit dated but still one of those classics from which every photographer can learn.
Tenio Latev
Beautiful book for B&W lovers, a must have in every book collection about photography!
Yasha
Basic knowledge for photographers, especially for black and white photographs that made
Anna Nelson
A very good reference book for those looking to take better photographs.
Valerie
Classic.
Houman
Houman marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Zainab
Zainab marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Jason C-l
Jason C-l marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Douglas Barrow
Douglas Barrow marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
  • Photography
  • Plastic Cameras: Toying with Creativity
  • Mastering Digital SLR Photography
  • National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
  • The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes (Voices That Matter)
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • Night Photography: Finding Your Way In The Dark
  • Creative Black & White: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
  • Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures
  • The Camera (Ansel Adams Photography, #1)
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2)
  • Criticizing Photographs: An Introduction to Understanding Images
  • Design Thinking (Basic Design #8)
  • A World History of Photography by Naomi Rosenblum
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • Fundamentals of Photography: The Essential Handbook for Both Digital and Film Cameras
Henry Horenstein (b. 1947, Boston) is an American artist photographer. Henry Horenstein has worked as a photographer, teacher and author since the early 1970s. He is the author of over 30 books, including a series of photographic textbooks that have been used by hundreds of thousands of students over the past 30 years. In 2003, Chronicle Books published Honky Tonk, Horenstein's documentary survey ...more
More about Henry Horenstein...
Beyond Basic Photography Digital Photography: A Basic Manual Color Photography: A Working Manual Honky Tonk: Portraits of Country Music 1972-1981 Photography: Revised Edition