Start by marking “Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual” as Want to Read:

Published May 30th 1983 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Black and White Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black and White Photography

Rebecca McNutt
May 11, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
Since I'm more into film photography than inferior digital photography methods, this book really appealed to me, but it also has detailed text, how-to instructions, photographic examples and illustrations to get the most out of your photos and important moments. Definitely worth reading if you're into art, history, photography or guidebooks.
Beata
May 11, 2014 Beata rated it liked it
My textbook way back when started formally studying photography. All the good basics were in here.
Nicole
Jan 01, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
This book was a fantastic manual for any photographer. I got it because I just got my first SLR camera, and wanted a book that would help me make sense of all the things the new camera lets me control manually, like the aperture and shutter speed. This book was perfect for that, explaining well how f-stops and shutter speeds effect photographs. It even finally cleared up something I'd never understood, which is why larger f-stop numbers denote smaller openings. That still sort of bugs me and see ...more
Vicster
Jan 20, 2009 Vicster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my to-read list for quite some time now and now I realize why my photography instructors recommended it. Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual is a very rich, well-organized photography manual. Horenstein gives just enough instruction and detail without being overwhelming or leaving the reader feeling as though lighting or processing one's own film is too complicated.

This book is geared toward photographers who shoot film, though folks who shoot digital can learn a gr
Ulina
Oct 31, 2015 Ulina rated it really liked it
The title of the book is misleading. This may be because this book was published in the 1980's. Back then, black and white photography was more popular than color photography. This is a complete film photography book. It starts from the camera and takes you fully through the process and ends with mounting your print on a wall. There isn't anything specific about b&w photography, like different techniques on how to get particularly styles of b&w photos. It is strictly about photography as ...more
Falcon
Oct 03, 2009 Falcon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, own
I had been taking photos with a 35mm for 6 years prior to reading this book, with two years of classes and darkroom experience under my belt.

It taught me so much that I had never learned in school or by my father who has done photography since he was 19.

Highly recommended for a beginner photographer interested in learning fundamental skills for black and white manual photography. A great reference guide that will always have a place on my bookshelf.
CD
I purchased a new copy of this as one of my first real acquisitions of photography books that had not been handed down to me or had to be purchased for school.

That original dog eared copy has been 'retired' to a safe corner shelf now held together with acid free ribbon.

An interesting book to look back on before the digital age, but still in a modern era of photography.

Cassidy
Aug 31, 2007 Cassidy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favoritebooks
My wonderful photography teacher, Tom Young (at Greenfield Community College formerly at RISD), taught us from this book by RISD prof, Henry Horenstein. Fantastic manual, very straightforward. An absolute must for anyone who is learning B&W photography.
John Cowan
Aug 27, 2011 John Cowan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be quite informative. For myself, having already been familiar with the shooting side of photography this manual was invaluable as a guide to begging darkroom techniques and procedures.

Highly recommended for photographers of all levels.
Caroline Philippone
Oct 05, 2014 Caroline Philippone rated it it was amazing
Using this in conjunction with a class I'm teaching on darkroom black and white photography. I think it's really an invaluable tool to use, and allows my students to really understand all aspects of the darkroom much more clearly.
Anna Nelson
Jan 23, 2008 Anna Nelson rated it it was amazing
A very good reference book for those looking to take better photographs.
Ben Schaffer
Nov 30, 2014 Ben Schaffer rated it really liked it
False
Tenio Latev
Jan 16, 2013 Tenio Latev rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book for B&W lovers, a must have in every book collection about photography!
Joe
Aug 20, 2009 Joe rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
Thoroughly covers basic darkroom study. Good classroom manual. There are others, but this is a good one to start with.
Andrea
Aug 28, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to, textbook
Nicely written book. Good at showing how you process chemical film, as well as tips on photography. A little outdated now, I imagine. Bummer!
Sofia
Mar 28, 2016 Sofia rated it it was amazing
taking this with me everywhere i go
Ken
Feb 10, 2012 Ken rated it it was amazing
A very relevant read that is fully applicable to both traditional and digital photography. Any time I'm asked for a book that explains the basics of photography, I recommend this.
Jennifer Entwistle
May 08, 2012 Jennifer Entwistle rated it really liked it
This really is the best book to read if you want to know everything about the basics of B&W photography and darkroom! It should be required reading in all photography courses.
Sharada Prasad CS
Nov 30, 2012 Sharada Prasad CS rated it liked it
A good book if BW film developing and printing is what interests you. Since I am into digital photography, only first 8 chapters of the book were useful for me.
Roniq
Jan 22, 2008 Roniq rated it it was amazing
A fabulous resource for those wanting to learn all they can about black and white photography.
Liz
Dec 30, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it
Re-reading this great book that walks you through everything you need to know about photography.
Jakenv
Nov 09, 2011 Jakenv rated it really liked it
Bit dated but still one of those classics from which every photographer can learn.
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Masukri Musor
Masukri Musor rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2016
Stephan Cantave
Stephan Cantave rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Hazem
Hazem rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2014
Julia Center
Julia Center rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2017
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2007
John
John rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2012
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2011
  • Plastic Cameras: Toying with Creativity
  • Photography
  • Creative Black & White: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
  • Mastering Digital SLR Photography
  • National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • Night Photography: Finding Your Way In The Dark
  • The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes (Voices That Matter)
  • The Negative (Ansel Adams Photography, #2)
  • Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure: The Professional's Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs
  • Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures
  • Design Thinking (Basic Design #8)
  • A World History of Photography
  • Criticizing Photographs: An Introduction to Understanding Images
  • The Information Design Handbook
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2)
  • The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography, Book 1 (Ansel Adams Guide to the Basic Techniques of Photography, #1)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Henry Horenstein (b. 1947, Boston) is an American artist photographer. Henry Horenstein has worked as a photographer, teacher and author since the early 1970s. He is the author of over 30 books, including a series of photographic textbooks that have been used by hundreds of thousands of students over the past 30 years. In 2003, Chronicle Books published Honky Tonk, Horenstein's documentary survey ...more
More about Henry Horenstein...