Start by marking “Black Out” as Want to Read:
Black Out

Black Out

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  4,641 Ratings  ·  607 Reviews
When my mother named me Ophelia, she thought she was being literary. She didn't realize she was being tragic.

On the surface, Annie Powers's life in a wealthy Floridian suburb is happy and idyllic. Her husband, Gray, loves her fiercely; together, they dote on their beautiful young daughter, Victory. But the bubble surrounding Annie is pricked when she senses that the demons
Published May 27th 2008 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Black Out, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Phrynne
Sep 30, 2014 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh that was good! That was SO good! It was so tense that I could not stop reading and finished the whole book in one day. This was my second book by this author and I shall certainly seek out more of her work. I enjoyed the way the story moved from past to present and I felt an attachment to the main characters and wanted them to survive to the end. And there was always doubt whether this would happen! A real page turner and recommended reading for anyone who enjoys a good thriller.
hllf
Jul 19, 2009 hllf rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A lot of unfulfilled potential. Not recommended. Below is a breakdown of my rating:

Enjoyability: 3
Re-Readability: 1
Character Development: 2
Complexity: 3.5
Writing Style: 2
Believability: 2
Overall: 2.25

I picked this book up to read over vacation because I liked the description of the plot. The book started out rather slow; a lot of recounting of past events. In fact, after the first two chapters, I started over and re-read them to try to get a better handle of what was occurring when.

Once the novel
Kathy
Jul 30, 2008 Kathy added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely NO ONE!!!!
Recommended to Kathy by: I had read other books by this author.
What was real? What was imaginary? I feel like I need to check into a mental hospital after reading this book. Black Out really messes with your mind and not in a good way. It is very doubtful that I will read any other Lisa Unger books. I was left to wonder....what happened?
Kelly
Mar 12, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, favorites
This is the first time I've read anything by Unger, but she has now earned a place on my list of "newly-discovered-and-now-in-complete-awe-of" authors! I can't wait to read all of her other works.

For the past three days, I have been completely immersed in this book, only putting it down when it was necessary to deal with certain real-life issues and get some sleep. It grabbed hold of me and refused to let go until I'd finished the very last page. The main character is Annie, who used to be Ophe
Melanie
Jun 01, 2009 Melanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Jordan Price
I think, initially, I wanted to be persnickety about some things like character voice (a trailer trash girl with a GED who uses whom/whomever in speech, for instance -- and how convenient it was they had so much money that they could hire planes, boats, etc.), but then the story sucked me in, and I didn't give a rat's ass if it was written the way I would have, and I gave myself over to the story.

The mystery is like a set of Russian nesting dolls. Every time you think you know what's going on, i
Krissy
More of a 3.5 stars. I enjoyed it. The last 1/3 or so was really intense and I couldn't put it down. But it's one of those books that you have to pay really close attention because there is A LOT of stuff going on. Especially at the end.
João Carlos
“Black Out – A Cortina da Memória” é um excelente policial escrito pela norte-americana Lisa Unger, nascida em 1970, e editado originalmente em 2008, com publicação em Portugal em 2009.
A narrativa centra-se na Florida, Annie Powers tem uma família perfeita, ama o seu marido Gray e a sua filha Victory, vive numa casa luxuosa, mas…
Nem tudo o que parece é ou nem tudo o que reluz é ouro…
A vulnerabilidade interior de Annie é evidenciada quando as recordações do seu passado reaparecem; em consequênci
Peter
Aug 18, 2008 Peter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I wanted to like this, I really did. But I put it down about 150 pages in and just had no desire to pick it up again, even after renewing it at the library. There was so much potential for a good psychological suspense novel, but I never felt much suspense in the chapters that I read, and when I did, it turned out to be a dream or was written off in some other way.

I do admit that the author is a good writer, and there were some well-crafted passages. And as hesitant I was about the choice to use
Lewis Weinstein
This is the ultimate book of unreliable narrators. Whoever says anything is not to be believed. Evidence is not to be believed. The very existence of some of the characters is not to be believed. Yet, instead of spinning out of control, Lisa Unger keeps firm command of a dazzling sequence of twists, surprises, time jumps, and venue changes. We have faith in the author to get us to the end of the journey. No more to be said without revealing something you should experience for yourself.
Shannon
Jun 06, 2011 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unger is a master. I wish I had more time to read everything she's written. She's sort of dark, but can really weave a good one.
Gun Bach
Aug 14, 2009 Gun Bach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing, thrilling, soulsearching book that I couldn't put down. Lisa writes in a profound way, with sentences and choices of words that make me re-read paragraphs without it jarring me one little bit. I cared for the protagonist, the "I" in the story, from the first page, even if I normally shy away from stories written in the first person. This is the only way, IMHO, that Lisa could've written this story, because we needed to be in Annie/Ophelia's head to understand what she was going throu ...more
Christina Leftwich
After sticking this book out through its confusing state, Im feeling let down with the ending. I wonder if the author was just tired of writing it by that time, and the last two chapters could have been left out completely.
Melanie
Sep 27, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid 4.5 stars. I have literally loved reading Lisa's books recently. They seem to tick all the boxes for me so I grabbed some of the older ones from my library. Black out was the first one off the pile.

Its really hard to say what I loved about this book without giving spoilers. I think put simply, I love at the end we knew as much as Annie did about everything. I loved how I was thrown about and confused, how I was told more, what was true? What was lies?

This book ticked all the boxes for a
Jo Anne B
This book really played with your mind. It was hard to tell what was real, fantasy, or a dream. This was to reflect the turmoil the main character Annie endured as she was trying to live in the present while fighting an unresolved past.
"The truth is that I may never be fully able to discern between the actual events-or people-in my recent life and the dreams created by my psyche to heal itself. Sometimes I'm not so sure it matters."

This book was ok. It had too much mind twisting in it that you
Clay
Feb 05, 2013 Clay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book to me was a very intelligent book that showed me how someone can live a horrific life and even if they change there names or even cause a plausible death but don't actually die taking over someone else's identity that is also dead and living on with out the threat of someone you wanted to run from hopefully wont find nor will the government if you don't use WIT SEC which is Special Witness Program ran by the US Marshals to protect people that have witnessed severe crimes and other thin ...more
Merilee
Great read! I picked the book up for about $8 at my local Wal-Mart; and devoured it in a weekend. It was interesting to read, great character development, good plot line that moved at a great pace.

I loved how the novel would jump between the far past, the near past, and the present... all creating a cohesive story that was intriguing. This writing technique allowed us to relate to the struggles of Annie as she tried to piece together what she had forgotten long ago; it also was an interesting te
Kristen
Aug 18, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, 12-09, 2012
In Black Out, Lisa Unger enthralls us with another heart-pounding thriller. In this one, we're introduced to Annie Powers, a wife and mother, who had a secret life. And not everything is what she seems. We discover her turbulent past life in flash backs, when she was known as Ophelia March. Somehow we watch how it trickles back in her past, when she breaks down and cracks at the surface. Terrible headaches, bad memories, flashbacks and nightmares, return. Everything she knew and trusted changes. ...more
Barb
Aug 27, 2008 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't read Lisa Unger's books fast enough...

Annie Powers is a wealthy homemaker, happily married to Gray and mother to a beautiful four year old daughter, Victory. But all is not what it seems and there are ghosts and demons from her past haunting her apparently perfect and beautiful life.

A lifetime and not very long ago Annie was Ophelia March a young girl living a trouble life on the run with a man she thought she loved.

Now the past has intruded on the present and Annie struggles to figur
Lauren
May 31, 2009 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Told in alternating chapters of the past and the present, we slowly begin to realize that all is not well with Annie/Ophelia. Given her mental status, the reader begins to wonder how much of what she says is the truth and how much of it is just in her head. The truth is made harder to see given that everyone around her seems to be lying, all for various reasons. Although certain parts of the ending begin to be easily predicted about half-way through, this is an entertaining psychological thrille ...more
Sharon
Jul 21, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Twisty and intriguing. Much of the first part of the book consists of fragments and threads of two and sometimes three periods in the main characters life. I really enjoyed keeping up with all the curveballs Unger threw, as well as trying to piece together the clues and noting the parallels between the various relationships I read about and the actions the main character did and did not take. Clever and highly readable.
Michelle
Dec 22, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I applaud the writer of this book for a very well-planned out plot and all the thought she must have put into this. It is good as a psychological thriller. For pure entertainment, it is pretty disturbing, and possibly could have stopped with like 5 less plot twists but still a good book.
Mary
Jul 02, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After I finished this in one day. I went out and bought 2 more of her books. I would have bought 3 but Borders was out of Sliver of Truth.
I'll get it, though.
Matt Schiariti
I loved Lisa Unger's other three books. I started with Die For You and went back to the beginning, which brings me to Blackout.

At its heart, the story of Blackout is very simple; that of a woman with a terrible past who's trying to live a new life, a better life, but the past comes back to haunt her. Ophelia was a child who had everything working against her. A pseudo alcoholic mother who falls in love with a death row inmate. Why is Frank Geary on death row? He was convicted of abducting, tortu
Ricardo Mendes
Nov 01, 2012 Ricardo Mendes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nem sei muito bem como descrever este livro. Lisa Unger oferece-nos um thriller psicológico tremendamente bem construído onde acompanhamos a vida de Annie Power em três fases distintas da sua vida. E penso que é aqui que está o segredo deste livro. O crescente suspense é fundamentado por estas três narrações em diferentes tempos.

Mais um aspecto que é importante a salientar é a rápida captação do interesse do leitor. Não temos de ler até metade para encontramos a primeira reviravolta. Desde o iní
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
There were some things about this that were hard to follow, especially the way it kept changing verb tense. Overall, though, it was a good psychological thriller. Lisa Unger always tucks some interesting insights into her novels, which are easy to miss but worth watching for.

"Most of us don't live in the present tense. We dwell in a mental place where our regrets and grudges from our past compete with our fears about the future. Sometimes we barely notice what's going on around us, we're so bus
Maria Altiki
Oct 23, 2015 Maria Altiki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Ένα αρκετά καλό ψυχολογικό θρίλερ με αρκετές ανατροπές. Αυτό που μου άρεσε πιο πολύ είναι ότι η ιστορία του βασίζεται πάνω στις διαταραχές της προσωπικότητας και σου δίνει αρκετές πληροφορίες για την διασχιστική διαταραχή της ταυτότητας, τα ψυχωτικά επεισόδεια αλλά και την ψυχογενή φούγκα. Μεταξύ της πραγματικότητας κ της φαντασίωσης που βιώνει η ηρωίδα γίνεσαι μάρτυς στις άμυνες που δημιουργεί η προσωπικότητα στην προσπάθεια της να επιβιώσει απο το αδιανόητο.
Dorothy Caimano
Jul 04, 2009 Dorothy Caimano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complicated, engaging, intriguing. The main character has breaks with reality so the reader isn't always sure what is present/past, real/imaginary. Comes together nicely in the end with enough loose ends to be consistent with the established psychological state.
Sandy Doty
A bit of a let down after how much I loved Ink & Bone by this same author. This was published in 2008, so perhaps that reflects this author's growth. 2.5 stars
Books On Replay
Mar 18, 2016 Books On Replay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is one of those books that questions how I rate them. Most books I read, I know instantly what star rating I feel like they deserve, but with this one I'm struggling.

I want to start out by saying that I'd never heard of this one. I was scrolling through my goodreads news feed and came across a friend on here, Cait, that wrote a simple intriguing review that made me go pick up the book instantly. This typically isn't a genre I read, but I thought I'd try it and branch out. Test the waters.

The Challenge Fac...: Krissy & K-Terror - Black Out 32 12 Oct 04, 2015 11:04AM
  • The Darkness Gathers (Lydia Strong, #2)
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Damaged (Kate Lange #1)
  • Takeover (Theresa MacLean #1)
  • A Cold Dark Place (Emily Kenyon, #1)
  • Koude lente (Paul Vegter #2)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Ice Trap
  • Running Scared
  • The Cloud Maker (Luca Matthews #1)
  • The Tunnels (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #1)
  • Eight in the Box: A Novel of Suspense
  • Last Known Victim (Stacy Killian, #3; The Malones, #4)
  • Stone Rain (Zack Walker)
  • Forgotten
  • Sukkerdøden (Cato Isaksen #8)
  • Twisted
  • Standing Still
Lisa Unger is the New York Times and internationally bestselling, award-winning author of fifteen novels, including INK AND BONE (2016 Goodreads Choice Award Finalist) and her upcoming standalone thriller THE RED HUNTER (April 2017.)

Her books are published in twenty-six languages worldwide, have sold millions of copies and have been named “Best of the Year” or top picks by the Today show, Good Mor
More about Lisa Unger...

“things disappear and are never found simply because there's too much ground to cover.” 2 likes