Start by marking “The Forensic Casebook the Forensic Casebook” as Want to Read:
The Forensic Casebook the Forensic Casebook

The Forensic Casebook the Forensic Casebook

THE ULTIMATE READERS' GUIDE TO THE ART OF FORENSICS
"An intrepid investigator crawls through miles of air conditioning ducts to capture the implicating fibers of a suspect's wool jacket . . . A forensic entomologist discovers insects in the grill of a car and nails down a drug dealer's precise geographical path . . . A gluttonous criminal's fingerprints are lifted from a c
Published August 27th 2002 by Ballantine Books (first published 2002)

Brandy
“I could see where a bullet had exited through the window directly behind Cross’s bed. The glass fracture was clean and the radial lines even: The shooter had fired from a standing position, directly across the bed”(Thomas Pierce, from James Patterson’s Cat & Mouse, quoted in The Forensic Casebook on page 83). The Forensic Casebook discusses many different cases; some were difficult to solve and others were simple. Whether or not a case seems easy or difficult, a police officer needs to take ...more
Evander v
Actually, it was more in depth than I was expecting, though still accessible to the layman, I think. I liked best reading the anecdotes from various professionals, as of course I either knew or had an idea of the theory anyway. Still, it did more than gloss over techniques, going into a bit of detail about PCR, STRs and so on, and different reagents for lifting fingerprints, etc. A good reference book even for those in the field to a lesser extent, like me. I still haven't decided yet whether to ...more
Martin
Sep 24, 2012 Martin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Assuming I was going to read a dense book on the details of crime scene investigation I was sorely disappointed to received a large font Forensics for Dummies book in my mailbox. Amazon lists this work as "Encyclopedic" but most information is less interesting and detailed than anything you could find on Wikipedia. Some of the material reads more like an advertisement from schools offering forensic programs but I wouldn't use this book as a way to find out what they teach. Even as a total layman ...more
Regan
Feb 05, 2008 Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any crime writer
Excellent resource for forensics--and definitely showed me a few places where I can strengthen my romantic suspense.
Becky B
Apr 17, 2015 Becky B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
N.E. Genge takes the armchair sleuths on a tour of what real life crime scene investigation involves and the various jobs of people who work the scenes and evidence. The tour involves interviews with numerous real investigators and scientists and examples from real cases. The book includes appendixes that give overviews of the various jobs available and recommended schools for those seriously interested in pursuing those fields.

A very interesting, down-to-earth look at a field that is sometimes
Karen Grikitis
Sep 23, 2015 Karen Grikitis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A liberal sprinkling of real-life anecdotes makes ‘The Forensic Casebook’ a very readable and engrossing account of the practical and scientific aspects of investigating crime scenes.

Quotes and examples from seasoned professionals in the field, job descriptions, and resources for crime scene investigators, combine to create a book that serves as both a layman’s introduction to the subject and an overview for the rookie policeman.

Notable stories illustrating the challenges facing crime scene inv
Cheryl
Jul 04, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I consider this to be a reference book, I still read it front to back. It's starting to show its age and is ripe for a second or revised edition. However, that aside, it is a fascinating and detailed look into the many angles of forensics, from tire impressions to autopsies and everything between.

Real people in the field were interviewed and there are real cases to show examples throughout. The author also notes where television shows get things wrong -- and in some cases where they get t
Natalie
I was into forensic science years before CSI - so bite me.

There is a current glut of books on the market to sate the appetite of dilettants who have no comprehension that DNA checks can take weeks and sometimes months to process, but that's okay with me - I've been interested in this stuff for years and wasn't able to read much about it til recently.

This one's pretty by-the-numbers, but I'm not much of a scientist.
Caidyn
Jul 21, 2014 Caidyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I"m starting with off saying that I love forensics. For a while I swore it was going to be my job. I got this book at a local used-book store, thinking it would be interesting and show me cool things. I was wrong. What I got was, as someone else put it, a book for dummies. I would have prefered this book formated as a textbook that I could actually take notes on.
Drew
Sep 15, 2010 Drew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, reference
An altogether informative casebook that's essentially been given the James Cameron treatment: substance and style over depth of content. Good for beginners starting out in the forensic discipline but it will seem shallow and superficial to the more hardened scientist.
Tracy
Mar 14, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a nice overview of forensics. I liked the plain language discussions of the various disciplines within the field of forensics. It even provides information of job types and educational opportunities for those interested in entering the profession.
Mandy Huot
Aug 16, 2012 Mandy Huot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting book! It's almost like a textbook without vocabulary words! I enjoyed reading it.
Casii
Jul 23, 2010 Casii is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
i'm kinda reading this and taking notes and all, so i can only read for so long at a time b4 my hand cramps so its gonna take awhile to finish....sadly :(
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Norris
Norris rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Hiren Sevra
Hiren Sevra rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2015
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2009
Lana
Lana rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Nmdrew
Nmdrew rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Paddy
Paddy rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2010
Sgraves327
Sgraves327 rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Jeana
Jeana rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2016
Katie Richardson
Katie Richardson rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2016
Keith
Keith rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
  • The Casebook of Forensic Detection: How Science Solved 100 of the World's Most Baffling Crimes
  • Forensic Science of CSI
  • Dead Reckoning: The New Science of Catching Killers
  • Hidden Evidence: 40 True Crimes and How Forensic Science Helped Solve Them
  • Fingerprints: The Origins of Crime Dectection and the Murder Case That Launched Forensic Science
  • Forensic Detective: How I Cracked the World's Toughest Cases
  • Bodies We've Buried: Inside the National Forensic Academy, the World's Top CSI Training School
  • Cause of Death: Forensic Files of a Medical Examiner
  • Crime Scene: The Ultimate Guide to Forensic Science
  • Blood Secrets: A Forensic Expert Reveals How Blood Spatter Tells the Crime Scene's Story
  • Written in Blood: A History of Forensic Detection
  • Bones: A Forensic Detective's Casebook
  • Dissecting Death: Secrets of a Medical Examiner
  • Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand: And Other Life (and Death) Lessons from the Front Lines of Forensics
  • Forensics for Dummies
  • Dead Center: Behind the Scenes at the World's Largest Medical Examiner's Office
  • Cracking Cases: The Science of Solving Crimes