Start by marking “Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 3

Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 3 (Ex Machina: Deluxe Editions #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  1,073 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In this volume, Mayor Mitchell Hundred - formerly known as the super hero The Great Machine --faces difficult decisions regarding New York City's drug laws. But will a string of brazen, violent robberies and a shocking suicide affect the the Mayor's policy?

And in a second story, "Power Down," set during the New York blackout of 2003, the mayor must deal with a city gone
Published May 25th 2010 by WildStorm

To ask other readers questions about Ex Machina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ex Machina

Rachel Lightwood
*flails* For those that don’t know, this is my favourite graphic novel series. I have no idea what it is about these books that I love, but love them I do. The art style is realistic and just stunningly coloured. It isn’t as gorgeous as the Amulet series, but something about its simplicity and believable characterization makes me happy. The story follows Mitchell Hundred – an ex-superhero vigilante with the ability to communicate with machines who is the current mayor of New York City. Even thou ...more
Hone Haapu
Still no return from the tangent that vol. 2 took of on. This volume delves a little into others who have similar powers and their reactions to it.

The Good
Interesting takes on how other peoples "powers" could or would manifest.
Still some solid characterization of the mainstays throughout.

The Bad
We are still no closer to finding out what the mysterious Alien writing is or what are the true origins of Hundreds powers.
He now has an arch nemesis, which is a tad contrived because I thought the reaso
Kaila
I want more superhero subplot, less politics.
Martin
Nov 28, 2012 Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
(1) "Smoke, Smoke"

The weakest "Ex Machina" arc so far, the trademark Vaughan writing is here, and so is the incredible art by Tony Harris, but the plot lines of Mitchell's powers & purpose takes a back seat to:

- a guy posing as a firefighter who breaks into people's homes. This constitutes the "mystery" part of the book, but it doesn't play a big aprt in the overall arc.

- January, blaming Mitchell for her sister's death (Journal, in the events of Ex Machina, Vol. 4: March to War) becomes an
Tom Donaghey
EX MACHINA: THE DELUXE EDITION by Brian Vaughan with illustrations by Tony Harris is yet another well thought out and designed graphic novel. This is a must read story of politics and the superhero genre. This is not your every day comic by a long shot.
The story is about a civil engineer in New York who has a terrible accident while investigating a mysterious device beneath the Brooklyn Bridge. Part of the device gets implanted in him and, after the healing process, Mitch Hundred discovers not
Francisco Silva
Jan 24, 2016 Francisco Silva rated it liked it
Shelves: cómic, wildstorm
En general le pondría un 3.5 y es que Brian K. Vaughan escribe muy bien. Esta es además una serie que mantiene un buen nivel en comparación al volumen anterior (Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2) haciéndola sumamente consistente.

A su vez los temas tratados van siempre inclinados en una dirección con este autor. Vemos algunos personajes exagerados, otros con claras tendencias 'progre', no pueden faltar alusiones al sexo o a las limitantes de la libertad y seguridad. Tópicos que pueden ser bi
Emily Green
In Ex Machina: Book Three, Hundred is mayor, it is post September 11, and he is no longer parading around as the Great Machine. Bradbury is still with Hundred, backing him and serving as bodyguard when needed, but Ivan has defected.

As Hundred deals with the death of Journal, her sister, January shows up and agrees to work as an unpaid intern. Hundred accepts without question, but readers are given the impression that she has ulterior motives.

Meanwhile, a faux firefighter is breaking and enterin
Cameron
Feb 23, 2015 Cameron rated it really liked it
This is a soft 4 stars - I enjoyed it a lot but a couple of off-notes were there. On the whole it feels like the mid-arc most long stories have; one-shots, guest artists, behind the scenes specials, weaker filler arch that hold space but do not advance the story.

That said, the politics and ex kind-of-super-hero works for me plus there is the how-we-draw-it by Tony Harris and a couple of major plot developments so you know you have advanced the story. The "double length" deluxe editions is a bonu
Ethan
Jul 24, 2016 Ethan rated it really liked it
Much more scifi/superhero buildup this volume, for better or for worse. It is interesting and engaging, and surprisingly novel, but the series still seems to be directionless which is a problem considering at this point it's more than halfway over. We're building and building and I'm not hopeful that all of this can be satisfyingly completed by the final issue, especially considering how much the story is still relying on flashbacks (still! at this point!).

But really these are minor complaints
Ryan Mishap
Jan 11, 2011 Ryan Mishap rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
More good dilemmas face New York's mayor Mitch Hundred, who used to be a superhero. I think they were trying to open up the mythology in this run of comics, but it is a little confusing. Still worth checking out.

I dinged it an entire star for the dig at anarchist protesters covering their faces with masks: the comparison to the KKK is bullshit that does not take into account why someone would wear a mask at a demo nor the beliefs, actions, and intentions of anarchists (which are vehemently oppo
Sage
Jan 17, 2016 Sage rated it really liked it
Well, if you've found yourself on volume 3, you've probably enjoyed the first two books enough to seek this one out.

This volume follows the same formula as the past two; modern day suspense/political machinations, followed by a flashback (often September 11th), followed by a mysterious villain. Nothing much to add to this other than one of the chapters features a different artist which is a tad jarring. I'll still keep reading Ex Machina because it's a wonderful story.. I just wish they'd mix t
Jesse
Oct 29, 2010 Jesse rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of superheroes and the West Wing
Recommended to Jesse by: Noah Soudrette
I can't say anything here that I personally haven't already said before about this series. Its amazing. Brian K. Vaughan is one of two of the most amazing new writers in comics today (the other is Joe Hill). These Deluxe editions of this series are amazing, beautifully bound. I can't say anymore since I'm already gushing all over the place like a fanboy. Simply put, if you loved the other stuff before this you'll love this; and if you haven't read Ex Machina before, well then go start on #1 righ ...more
Ernest
Feb 24, 2016 Ernest rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something about seeing how the fantastical clashing with the brutal reality of politics and having to run New York. In this volume, this well-crafted series manages to do not only that but to do so in a way that manages to be complex yet thrilling with both the larger and smaller plots. There is a little advanced in the larger plot of Hundred’s powers, and it will be interested to see if/how things are more revealed (and settled?) in the remaining volumes. This volume contained issues # ...more
Sean
Sep 17, 2016 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All adults
Another fantastic collection in a fantastic series by comics best writer. Here, two storylines are collected and we get a great look in Mitchell Hundred's early days as the Great Machine plus possible insights into how he came to be. Vaughan's plot and dialogue are on point as usual. Its amazing how topical this book was and still is over a decade later. Tony Harris delivers amazing visuals and perfectly complements the story. A perfect team. Overall, amazing work.
TJ Shelby
Mar 07, 2011 TJ Shelby rated it liked it
Shelves: dc
Still one of my favorite current series being written but this was the let-down of the bunch. Granted it was still a fun read and I enjoyed the stories but when you're expecting an A and you get a B...you can't help but be disappointed.
This 3rd book was longer and didn't hold my attention as much. I do like the time jumps, but I occasionally mixed up characters and had to go back and reread parts. I still LOVE Vaughan's Mr. Hundred (Ex-Machina) character, and I plan to get my hands on the next books ASAP.
Dan
Sep 02, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
More top-notch stuff from Vaughan, Harris, & Co.
Jin
Oct 20, 2014 Jin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Keeps getting better and better! An absolutely realistic sci-fi, superhero series."
Bruno
Sep 14, 2012 Bruno rated it liked it
Linkse propaganda ;)
Mike Wierzbicki
Dec 26, 2011 Mike Wierzbicki rated it it was amazing
Series gets better and better.
Holden Attradies
Another awesome read with more questions raised than answers given. Looking forward to the last two volumes and hoping they aren't as disappointing as I've heard they are.
T. Stranger
Some interesting questions raised. Good series!
syrin
Feb 02, 2015 syrin rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, ebook, read-2015
Meh.
(I liked Bradbury's one shot though)
James  W. Powell
Jul 20, 2014 James W. Powell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
More of the same from Vaughan and Harris, and that's more than enough for me.
Aaron
Jul 27, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Grows more intriguing with every page.
Matt
Dec 02, 2011 Matt rated it it was amazing
Yeah, it's that good.
Artemy Nizovtsev
Jun 11, 2015 Artemy Nizovtsev rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, vertigo
Not as good as book 2, but I still enjoy it a lot.
Matt Sager
Matt Sager rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2010
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2012
Gavin Foo
Gavin Foo rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2013
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 4
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #4)
  • 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book II
  • The Massive, Vol. 4: Sahara
  • Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 6
  • The Authority, Vol. 2: Under New Management
  • The Authority, Vol. 4: Transfer of Power
  • Crossed + One Hundred (Crossed +100 #1)
  • Letter 44, Volume 1: Escape Velocity
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Ex Machina: Deluxe Editions (5 books)
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1