Start by marking “Crisis on Centaurus” as Want to Read:
Crisis on Centaurus

Crisis on Centaurus (Star Trek: The Original Series #28)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  517 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Massive computer malfunctions are plaguing the Enterprise when Kirk suddenly receives a shocking message from Star Fleet Command: Centaurus has been bombed and annihilated; thousands are dead. Give whatever help you can. Centaurus is a beautiful, peaceful planet, home to many humans -- including McCoy's daughter Joanna.

The crew risks beaming down to investigate. But Kirk

Published September 22nd 2000 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Crisis on Centaurus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crisis on Centaurus

Mary JL
Apr 03, 2010 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans; science fiction fans also
Recommended to Mary JL by: Long time fan of Star Trek
I do not read Star Trek as often as I used to. However, every now and then I pick one up. In the case of Crisis on Centaurus, that was fortunate.

It is a good, solid three star rating. It fits nicely into the Star Trek Universe.

I particularly liked that all the characters--Sulu, Chekhov, Uhurua, McCoy had significant parts to play. Some Trek books are all Kirk and
Spock and nobody else. Mr. Ferguson avoids this. Admittedly, in a few cases, I disagreed with a particular portrayal of a character--
Röbert Fenske
I think Brad Ferguson is a good sic-fi writer, I could feel some influences from very old classic sic-fi novels while reading this. The name of locations, some of the technology, and the descriptions would fit in perfectly with sci-fi pulp stories. On this fact alone, I won't rate it one star.

But that doesn't mean it was a good Trek book. Throughout the book were several contradictions to the show and other moments that just didn't fit well within the Trek genre.

Star Trek has taken many opportu
Joel Kirk
Brad Ferguson's “Crisis on Centaurus” is a decent entry in the Pocket Books line of Star Trek tie-in novels. As is usually mentioned by reviewers of Trek novels: They are hit-or-miss - usually a miss. This book actually falls in between the middle.

While this novel is not mind-blowing, it’s good for a one-time read (maaaybe a second read). This book was simple – in a good way – and not bogged down by technobabble as if the author wanted to showcase his or her knowledge of science, or showcase how
Jesse A
Engaging story. Loses 1 star for the addition of money to the ST universe. No, just no.
Daniel Kukwa
It's a very pleasant read, but not as all-conquering as it could be. It's simply too short, especially considering you have not one, but two competing plot lines (three, if you count Joanna McCoy), that could headline equally long books on their own. As they stand, the two plots are annoyingly mutually exclusive, and the disaster plot line is brought to a conclusion with such sudden swiftness that my head was spinning. Only the author's lovely command of the Enterprise crew keeps it all together ...more
Dale
A pleasant enough read but at times it was just 'off'

The premise of Crisis on Centaurus is that the colony Centaurus is bombed by a terrorist group and approximately 1 million victims die. The planetary government is in a shambles and the Enterprise is dispatched to aid in whatever way possible. However, Enterprise is having a series of computer failures and is not up to full capacity so things get tricky for Kirk and the crew.

Ferguson has written an adequate Star Trek novel - his main character
Scott Williams
The story here is entertaining enough. Some of the science is off and I found that distracting. I was also pulled out by discussions of economics which were contrary to what is known of Star Trek's 23rd century universe. I also object to the idea of human terrorists with a racist doctrine. This would not happen in Roddenberry's universe.
Lori
From the Reamer collection:
This was my first Star Trek novel. I felt a little subconscious when I read it in public. I would not survive any series of Star Trek questions. I am a novice.
I took it to breakfast. The server saw it immediately and said "That's my favorite book." I looked at her, trying to judge if she was teasing me. Before I could decide I asked her if she was kidding. She looked dejected and said, "No, no, I'm not kidding" and walked away. I felt kind of bad about questioning her
Stephen
This is one of my favorite Star Trek novels. Crises on Centaurus is a fairly dark book that deals with a terrorist group’s use of an anti-matter weapon on a Federation world. The book also flashes back to the original meeting of Captain Kirk and his ever-valuable sidekick Dr. McCoy. Crises on Centaurus is a great Star Trek novel. A must read for any fan of the series.
Heather Domin
3.5 stars. This is another one where the cover blurb doesn't quite match the story - yes, Joanna McCoy is a big part of the plot, but she's not the main plot. The real story is a political intrigue hinged around terrorism, capital punishment, and local versus federal authority. Not exactly my choice of entertainment (especially these days), but it was a good story well told.
Rich Meyer
This is easily one of the best Star Trek novels of any of the various series. A lot of great action, characterization, and a story line worthy of one of the movies. Brad Ferguson gives you a slice of the personal history of Kirk and McCoy, and brings on board a few new characters to solve a timely dilemma. Highly recommended!
Chantel
Not bad! Unique little story where you get to learn a bit more personally the Dr. & the Captain.
I think his 'theory' at the end is interesting as well (what caused all the malfunctions).
All in all, a fun little read. :)
Cris
Overall, it reads much like a decently written episode of the show. It's a little thin on characterization, but that's my only real complaint.
Travis
Interesting in it's attempt to build up a back story for Dr. McCoy, but only a so-so' story.

Benjamin Plume
Average TOS book, which makes it slightly below average sci fi.
Ariene Thompson
Ariene Thompson marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Roger
Roger added it
Aug 24, 2015
Tribble314
Tribble314 marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Vlain Falconidae
Vlain Falconidae marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
  • Shadow Lord
  • Legacy
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Final Reflection (Star Trek: Worlds Apart, #1)
  • The Cry of the Onlies
  • Dreadnought! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #1)
  • Chain of Attack
  • Star Trek: The Disinherited
Brad Ferguson (born 1953) is an American science fiction author.

He worked as a writer, editor and producer for CBS in New York, and is the author of a number of Star Trek tie-in novels, several short stories, and the post-holocaust novel The World Next Door.

He is married to scientist Kathi Ferguson, with whom he collaborated on one novel.
More about Brad Ferguson...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
A Flag Full of Stars (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #2) The Last Stand (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #37) The Haunted Starship World Next Door Kinkajou