Start by marking “Rumours Of Rain” as Want to Read:
Rumours Of Rain

Rumours Of Rain

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  242 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Winter in South Africa - a time of searing drought, angry stirrings in Soweto, and the shadow of the Angolan conflict cast across the scorched bush.

Martin Mynhardt, a wealthy Afrikaner, plans a weekend at his old family farm. But his visit coincides with a time of crisis in his personal life. In a few days, the security of a lifetime is destroyed and, with only the uncerta
Published March 14th 1994 by Vintage (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Rumours Of Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumours Of Rain

The Serpentine Road by Paul MendelsonA Beautiful Place to Die by Malla NunnThe First Rule of Survival by Paul MendelsonDevil's Peak by Deon MeyerBlood Safari by Deon Meyer
South African fiction worth reading
11th out of 109 books — 6 voters
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroAtonement by Ian McEwanThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodFingersmith by Sarah WatersRoom by Emma Donoghue
Man Booker Shortlist
161st out of 223 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Margitte
Die korrupsie in die Apartheidregering word in die boek as fiksie aangebied en die leser moet kies tussen twee uiterste karakters met geen middeweg nie. 'n Insiggewende boek. Letterkunde, en spesifiek dié van die Sestigers, was die enigste publikasies waarin protes teen 'n stelsel aangebied kon word in die Apartheidsjare. Ander publikasies, soos koerante was verbied om dit te doen.

Sommige verhale was feite in fiksie formaat en so versprei aan die wereld. Die beperkings op die pers het tot gevol
Linda Edquist
Aug 01, 2013 Linda Edquist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say this was a really hard read because I had such an early dislike for the main character - not that one was supposed to feel that way but it was the nature of the person. A historical perspective that I have never experienced and I feel I learned an incredible amount by reading.
Mark Jacobzyck
Jan 18, 2016 Mark Jacobzyck rated it really liked it
A great South African novel. Very crafty, with great dialogue and plot construction. The hero is not a likeable guy, but one sees a very important world through his eyes and his senses and his distorted cultural and political thinking. Very important look at the seventies in the country - a crucial period.

The prose is very - how shall I describe it without using a cliche? - I can't - so it's spare and robust. The descriptions of the African countryside and the weather and the horizon are all won
Loreldonaghey Donaghey
Apr 20, 2009 Loreldonaghey Donaghey rated it did not like it
Oof.
Ulla-riitta Mankki
Just a marvellous description of South Africa in the seventies. The main person is a white man, conservative and aware of his value and rights. He has very little empathy for black people or white more liberal in his vicinity. The essence of this book is the question in the end: "Is a man finally a victim of his own paradoxes?"
Tom
Aug 06, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The story was simple enough and didn't distract from the great writing, but the characters were very well created and I felt I knew them well, even if I disliked some they were still making sense. I'd recommend this book and this author.
Lucienne
Nov 12, 2014 Lucienne rated it it was amazing
Well-written, complex, shocking at times, engaging. A very intimate look into South Africa, during apartheid, from an unsympathetic Afrikaner's point of view. The narrative unfolds slowly, but it's well worth the time and effort. Highly recommend.
Sandy Gaines
Jul 25, 2010 Sandy Gaines rated it really liked it
I seem to be on a South African kick recently (World Cup fever?) and was surprised by this exceptional novel by a writer I did not know before (my fault--this book was shortlisted for the Booker Prize the year it was published). Brink is a superb craftsman--the narrative is deft, the characters complex, the prose spare but evocative, and the descriptions of people and the African landscape will linger in your memory. Dated, to be sure (1978), but his devastating yet sympathetic portrayal of the ...more
Nataliertp
Aug 18, 2008 Nataliertp rated it really liked it
This isn't the best South African novel I've read but it's up there. Set during the Apartheid era, Brink explores the life of a typical Afrikaner businessman whose adherence to duty and the values he has been raised with bring about his eventual fall from grace. The protagonist's unwillingness to bend is ultimately non-sustainable in a time when South Africa is swept up in the movement that eventually brought an end to Apartheid.
Amanda Brinkmann
Jan 14, 2013 Amanda Brinkmann rated it it was amazing
Another life-changing book that I read in my youth, in a country that was, at the time, torn to shreds by Apartheid. If I remember correctly, the book may have been banned for a time - making it even more exciting to read.

I plan to re-read it - so as to observe my reactions to the content now that I am older and more mature.
Betty
Aug 20, 2012 Betty rated it really liked it
Geruchten van regen - het allereerste boek dat ik van Brink las, en ik was meteen verkocht. Toen ik het las, vond ik het een van de meest aangrijpende aanklachten tegen de Apartheid, maar toen stond ik aan het begin van het ontdekken van literatuur uit Zuid-Afrika.
Lois
Jul 08, 2007 Lois rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: brink fans
Shelves: lobagsbooks
I am the biggest Brink Fan on the planet. He is my favourite author so I am biased with all of his work. Don't expect a balanced review from me. As with all Brinks work the backdrop is apartheid South Africa and the stuggles of white and black alike.
Andry
Apr 02, 2015 Andry rated it really liked it
Shelves: africa
Wonderful book, he is one of my favorite authors. The timeline of the story is slightly jolting though. Should have taken place more compactly.
Ilanka
Mar 27, 2011 Ilanka rated it it was amazing
So well-written, very real and believable characters. About South Africa, about apartheid and much much more.
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Louis
Louis marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Anney Garnett
Anney Garnett rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Pauli Lombaard
Pauli Lombaard marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Sophia Van
Sophia Van marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Vickie
Vickie rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2016
Susan Smith
Susan Smith is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2016
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Matt Hagle
Matt Hagle marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Locus
Locus marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Claire Hilton
Claire Hilton rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
  • An Insular Possession
  • Mrs Eckdorf in O'Neill's Hotel
  • The 27th Kingdom
  • Last Letters from Hav
  • Frontiers: The Epic of South Africa's Creation and the Tragedy of the Xhosa Peo
  • Flying to Nowhere
  • The Africans
  • The Story of an African Farm
  • Bruno's Dream
André Philippus Brink was a South African novelist. He wrote in Afrikaans and English and was until his retirement a Professor of English Literature at the University of Cape Town.

In the 1960s, he and Breyten Breytenbach were key figures in the Afrikaans literary movement known as Die Sestigers ("The Sixty-ers"). These writers sought to use Afrikaans as a language to speak against the apartheid go
More about André Brink...