Start by marking “Rumours Of Rain” as Want to Read:
Rumours Of Rain

Rumours Of Rain

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Winter in South Africa - a time of searing drought, angry stirrings in Soweto, and the shadow of the Angolan conflict cast across the scorched bush.

Martin Mynhardt, a wealthy Afrikaner, plans a weekend at his old family farm. But his visit coincides with a time of crisis in his personal life. In a few days, the security of a lifetime is destroyed and, with only the uncerta
Published March 14th 1994 by Vintage (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Rumours Of Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumours Of Rain

Kringe in 'n Bos by Dalene MattheeFiela se Kind by Dalene MattheeDie Swerfjare van Poppie Nongena by Elsa JoubertThirteen Hours by Deon MeyerBYLEVELD  Dossier van 'n baasspeurder by Hanlie Retief
Beste Afrikaanse boeke
22nd out of 40 books — 38 voters
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodAtonement by Ian McEwanFingersmith by Sarah WatersRemembering Babylon by David Malouf
Man Booker Shortlist
138th out of 223 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda Edquist
I have to say this was a really hard read because I had such an early dislike for the main character - not that one was supposed to feel that way but it was the nature of the person. A historical perspective that I have never experienced and I feel I learned an incredible amount by reading.
Margitte
Die korrupsie in die Apartheidregering word in die boek as fiksie aangebied en die leser moet kies tussen twee uiterste karakters met geen middeweg nie. 'n Insiggewende boek. Letterkunde, en spesifiek dié van die Sestigers, was die enigste publikasies waarin protes teen 'n stelsel aangebied kon word in die Apartheidsjare. Ander publikasies, soos koerante was verbied om dit te doen.

Sommige verhale was feite in fiksie formaat en so versprei aan die wereld. Die beperkings op die pers het tot gevol
Ulla-riitta Mankki
Just a marvellous description of South Africa in the seventies. The main person is a white man, conservative and aware of his value and rights. He has very little empathy for black people or white more liberal in his vicinity. The essence of this book is the question in the end: "Is a man finally a victim of his own paradoxes?"
Tom
I really enjoyed this book. The story was simple enough and didn't distract from the great writing, but the characters were very well created and I felt I knew them well, even if I disliked some they were still making sense. I'd recommend this book and this author.
Lucienne
Well-written, complex, shocking at times, engaging. A very intimate look into South Africa, during apartheid, from an unsympathetic Afrikaner's point of view. The narrative unfolds slowly, but it's well worth the time and effort. Highly recommend.
Sandy Gaines
I seem to be on a South African kick recently (World Cup fever?) and was surprised by this exceptional novel by a writer I did not know before (my fault--this book was shortlisted for the Booker Prize the year it was published). Brink is a superb craftsman--the narrative is deft, the characters complex, the prose spare but evocative, and the descriptions of people and the African landscape will linger in your memory. Dated, to be sure (1978), but his devastating yet sympathetic portrayal of the ...more
Nataliertp
This isn't the best South African novel I've read but it's up there. Set during the Apartheid era, Brink explores the life of a typical Afrikaner businessman whose adherence to duty and the values he has been raised with bring about his eventual fall from grace. The protagonist's unwillingness to bend is ultimately non-sustainable in a time when South Africa is swept up in the movement that eventually brought an end to Apartheid.
Amanda Brinkmann
Another life-changing book that I read in my youth, in a country that was, at the time, torn to shreds by Apartheid. If I remember correctly, the book may have been banned for a time - making it even more exciting to read.

I plan to re-read it - so as to observe my reactions to the content now that I am older and more mature.
Betty
Geruchten van regen - het allereerste boek dat ik van Brink las, en ik was meteen verkocht. Toen ik het las, vond ik het een van de meest aangrijpende aanklachten tegen de Apartheid, maar toen stond ik aan het begin van het ontdekken van literatuur uit Zuid-Afrika.
Lois
Jul 08, 2007 Lois rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: brink fans
Shelves: lobagsbooks
I am the biggest Brink Fan on the planet. He is my favourite author so I am biased with all of his work. Don't expect a balanced review from me. As with all Brinks work the backdrop is apartheid South Africa and the stuggles of white and black alike.
Andry
Wonderful book, he is one of my favorite authors. The timeline of the story is slightly jolting though. Should have taken place more compactly.
Ilanka
So well-written, very real and believable characters. About South Africa, about apartheid and much much more.
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Bernice
Bernice marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Laura Marisdóttir
Laura Marisdóttir marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Tessa De Abreu
Tessa De Abreu marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Pauliina Järvinen
Pauliina Järvinen marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Zhanna Ozirna
Zhanna Ozirna marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
  • Jigsaw: An Unsentimental Education
  • The Public Image
  • Confederates
  • The Children of Dynmouth
André Philippus Brink was a South African novelist. He wrote in Afrikaans and English and was until his retirement a Professor of English Literature at the University of Cape Town.

In the 1960s, he and Breyten Breytenbach were key figures in the Afrikaans literary movement known as Die Sestigers ("The Sixty-ers"). These writers sought to use Afrikaans as a language to speak against the apartheid go
More about André Brink...
A Dry White Season Philida An Instant in the Wind The Other Side of Silence Devil's Valley