The Eensy Weensy Spider Freaks Out! (Big Time!)

The Eensy Weensy Spider Freaks Out! (Big Time!)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Artist Troy Cummings has created a clever spin-off of the "Eensy Weensy Spider" nursery rhyme in this humorous picture book, sure to appeal to kids and adults who also love fractured fairy tales.

Published May 25th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Eensy Weensy Spider Freaks Out!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eensy Weensy Spider Freaks Out!

Vilo
This was a lot of fun. So far my students have loved it because they know the song. The message is "Keep climbing!" which is a vital message. Grit and persistence are more important than talent or any other characteristic in school (and other) success.
Heidi
The story isn't too bad. A good choice if you need something about overcoming fears, I suppose. I think kids will still enjoy the story. Pictures are fun. Worth a try in preschool storytime.

2/27/13 & 2/28/13: This went better than I thought. At least in the Wed. group. (2/3 through on Thu., I had a coughing fit--no surprise considering how bad this cold has been--and was basically gasping for air and in tears...sort of ruined the rest of the story with everyone worried about how I was doing....more
Destiny Dawn Long
When the Eensy Weensy Spider gets washed off the water spout, she is so shaken up that she never wants to climb again. But, with the encouragement of a friend, she finally decides to try climbing something small. Emboldened by the experience, she continues to climb higher and higher. This is a great story that teaches children that one failure isn't good reason to give up.

The story was fun, although the prose was sort of middling. I wasn't a big fan of the illustration style--but I did like the...more
carissa
The Eensy Weensy Spider climbed up the waterspout . . . and everyone knows what happens next! By the time the sun comes out to dry up all the rain, the Eensy Weensy Spider has freaked out over her washout, big-time! "There's no way I'm climbing back up that gutter!" she says. Eensy has lost her climbing courage, but with the help of her best ladybug friend, Polly, she begins to take on bigger and bigger climbing challenges until she's rewarded with the most spectacular view of outer space that a...more
Jennie
Jul 22, 2011 Jennie added it
Age: 4-7

Genre: folktale/traditional tale

Diversity: ability

Illustrations: Simple fun and colorful. Some pages look like panels from a graphic novel.

Personal response: I enjoyed this updated and extended version of the classic nursery rhyme. The addition of a supportive friend for Eensy the spider and modern concepts like the "web" keep the story current.

Curriculum: This story could be used with a lesson on facing fears and trying to overcome them. It could also be used with a lesson on friendship...more
Jess Brown
In this creative retelling of the Eensy Weensy Spider, Eensy the Spider does get washed out, but then decides she is NEVER climbing again. She holes up inside until her ladybug friend comes and encourages her to try to climb again. She starts small (a flower pot) and eventually works her way up to something quite big! I love that part of the story is told through word bubbles (graphic novel style) and I love Eensy's personality and the humor. Great read aloud for preschool through early elementa...more
Nielson
In this adaptation of the familiar children's song, the eensy weensy spider does not go up the spout again! The slippery waterspout scared this spider, but with the help of her ladybug friend, Polly, Eensy scales much more than a waterspout. From flower pots to dogs to rockets, this spider learns that the stars are the limit. With expressive insects and a retro, cartoonish flair, these illustrations, along with the text, are sure to entertain and encourage.
Amber
My four year old liked this book. He loves singing the Itsy Bitsy Spider song and loved seeing all the things the spider climbed. It is a story that encourages not giving up and letting what scares you stop you from doing what you like.

The spider climbs a water spout and falls during a rain storm. The spider is scared to climb anything else but a friend encourages her to climb again by starting small. Soon the spider is climbing everything in sight.
Sarah Souther
Eensy thinks she's washed up after the incident with the water spount. Her buddy Polly helps her overcome her fear and become an even greater climber than before. This has a great message and fun illustrations, but for some reason, I found the first few pages off-putting. I don't think young readers will get the bit about having Eensy's washout splashed (sorry) all over the Internet, but Eensy won me over.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read during a Pre-K/Kindergarten After Care Class Visit on 10/23/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Pajama Story Time on 10/31/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Preschool Story Time on 9/20/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Heather
A cute variation of the Eensy Weensy Spider. In this story, the spider freaks out after being washed down the spout and vows to never climb again. Luckily, her good friend ladybug gets her to try again, and soon she is conquering greater and greater heights. This one might be useful for talking about overcoming your fears.
Charlotte
I just borrowed this from the library because Molly (2 yrs) loves the song, and I have to say, that Liam (4.5 yrs) LOVED IT! It starts off with the song, so right away he was hooked, but then the story teaches a great lesson about not getting frustrated and giving up! He can't wait to read it again!! (And neither can I!)
Heidi
I'm biased but I think this is a fabulous book for kids AND their parents to enjoy. The writing is incredibly clever, and the artwork is fresh and retro at the same time. Troy Cummings' style reminded me of a Huckleberry Hound book I had as a kid. I just had to sign this book up! On Sale now at a store near YOU!
Joenna
Really cute story: "...out came the sun and dried up all the rain and the eensy weensy spider freaked out, big-time! There's no way I'm climbing back up that gutter!" she said. "If I had a neck, I could have broken it!"

The eensy weensy spider has to learn to climb again and not be afraid of heights.
Danie P.
Preschool and older...I would say maybe 6 and up only because younger kids might not understand the humor. The eensy weensy spider falls down the water spout and freak out. "I could have broke my neck!" so no way is eensy climbing again. But slowly she starts to get over her fear of climbing...
Kelli
A cute read - the Eensy Weensy Spider loses her nerve once she thinks about what could happen to her as she climbs the spout. A fun story with some dialogue bubbles, a few direct addresses to the audience. Has a contemporary feel, especially with use of language.
Shuntia Williams
This is the story of the eensy weensy spider who climbed the water spout with a cute twist. When the spider is washed out she gets scared and refused to climb again. Great book to read to kids to show them to try again when something doesn't go right the first time.
Mandy
Eensy is so embarrassed from her story of falling down the waterspout being all over the web that she hides and says she will stick to the ground only. Her friend Polly encourages her to not give up and to try again by starting small.
Suzy
Kids really liked this one. Have to know the original to really be entertained by the "freaks out" part, but the it was fun. Boys also like tracing where the spider climbed by following the illustrations in the book
Angie
Another good lesson and cute take on the nursery rhyme. Don't let one setback make you FREAK OUT and not try again.

Though a little more freaking out might have been funny. But less of a lesson, I guess.
Keli
The title of this book says it all. Because no one ever thinks about the poor spider when singing that song. But in this book, she lets you know exactly what she thinks about her situation.
Monica
The Eensy Weensy Spider freaks out after falling down the water spout and doesn't want to climb anymore. Eventually she learns to climb again by starting small and going a little higher each time
Paula

Frightened after the scary waterspout incident, the Eensy Weensy Spider needs some encouragement from her friend the ladybug before she will try climbing again.
Karen Arendt
This would be so fun to use with Kdg to talk about nursery rhymes and with a slightly older group (2nd?) to have them create a new ending to a nursery rhyme.
Heather
26 months - a friend recommended this book as her daughter just loved it. O doesn't seem that interested and rarely chooses it from the pile of books.
Camille
Funny story about a spider who gives up on climbing after she is washed off a waterspout. But her friend ladybug encourages her to venture out again.
Kate Hastings
Pre-K to Grade 1. Adaptation of the nursery song. Spider gets washed out after going to all the trouble of climbing up and needs to be encouraged to try again.
Nicole
Fun book that expounds the song - a little long and text heavy for storytime so I skipped a few pages, but fun voices and good for reading aloud.
Peacegal
It's always cool to find a children's book that adults can enjoy as much as the youngsters. This is a nice pick for read-aloud at the library.
Molly
Love the concept, and the beginning, especially the reveal from traditional lyrics into the Freak Out page. Great fun to read aloud.
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Tell the Truth, B.B. Wolf
  • Kindergarten Diary
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • Woof: A Love Story
  • Time to Sleep, Sheep the Sheep!
  • What To Do If An Elephant Stands On Your Foot
Rise of the Balloon Goons (The Notebook of Doom, #1) Day of the Night Crawlers (The Notebook of Doom, #2) Giddy-Up, Daddy! Attack of the Shadow Smashers (The Notebook of Doom, #3) Chomp of the Meat-Eating Vegetables (The Notebook of Doom, #4)