Start by marking “After the Parade” as Want to Read:
After the Parade

After the Parade (Dolan Brothers #5)

DOROTHY GARLOCK...is a New York Times extended list bestselling author, "a gifted writer" (Chicago Sun-Times) who celebrates the indomitable American spirit and the triumphs of the caring heart. Now she vividly portrays the era after World War II, when men and women torn apart by years of combat had to rebuild marriages and lives...

Rawlings, Oklahoma, 1945. Johnny Henry is
Published November 16th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published April 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about After the Parade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Parade

Carolyn F.
Audiobook.

A little melodramatic. The heroine first met her husband when she was kidnapped. After she gave birth to a baby missing part of skull, he wanted a divorce because he blamed his bad genes for what happened. Then he took off to serve during World War II. When he returns, he finds she didn't divorce him but he still doesn't want to get back together in case they have babies again. Then there's them being convinced the other still doesn't love them, even though everybody keeps telling them
Gerrie
I really wavered over whether to give this book 3 or 4 stars. I ended up with 3.5 stars.

I've really enjoyed this whole series about love in small towns in the American heartland during the Depression. After the Parade is the fifth and final book in the series. In the book before this one, the fourth book, With Heart, Kathleen and Johnny meet and fall in love. In this book, they've become estranged. Although they still love each other, they have separated after a tragedy in their lives.

This woul
Christel
Mar 15, 2008 Christel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any romance reader
Shelves: dorothy-garlock
This is the continuationof Kathleen and Johnny's story that started in the book "With Heart". Johnny has come back from World War II and him and Kathleen are estranged from each other. If I go into any more than I will spoil the book. A great book for the conclusion of Johnny and Kathleen's story. It is also the conclusion of this set of books from Ms Garlock. The entire series was "With Hope", "With Song", "With Heart" and "After the Parade"
Jan
May 24, 2011 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jan by: ATC - GR 101
A decorated sailor returns home after WWII to his estranged wife and family to a little town in Oklahoma. She really loves him; he really loves her but stubborness and pride keep them apart, yada, yada, yada...they get back together, she gets pregnant, kidnapped by a stalker and there's an HEA ending on Christmas Day no less.
Barbi
Oct 06, 2015 Barbi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was neat to read a book taking place right after WW2 and to see how things have changed. I really liked the characters of Kathleen and Johnny and the rest of the townsfolk. I found it kind of funny that everyone around them knew how they felt about one another but kept denying it because they didn't think that the other one felt the same way.

The bad guy in this book was super creepy and deserved everything that he got. Some of the things that he did still give me shivers just thinking about t
M Khan
Nov 13, 2012 M Khan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book. It was a warm story of how Kathleen and Johnny fell apart after the world war and then are reunited on a common issue that caused both. The birth and death of their defected child. It was basically an extension of the novel "With Heart" which i truly loved. I believe when we read good novels, we are always left with the thirst of wanting more and more. " After the Parade" quenched that thirst after the splendid "With Heart".
Denise Moore
Sep 04, 2013 Denise Moore rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story was just all right. I don't believe the woman is actually from the south because the things that she has occur in Oklahoma just don't happen. Especially small town Oklahoma and I should know because I come from an extremely small Oklahoma town. The was no research effort put into this novel and there are numerous grammatical errors.
Katerina
Sep 09, 2012 Katerina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reading the last book in a series before reading the others probably isn't the best way to go about things. But the fact is, I really didn't like this book. The two main characters are cowardly procrastinators to the highest degree. They just can't find the courage to confront and confess to each other. And it's not just for a short while, it's for the whole book!
Debbie
Jun 29, 2010 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I will have to back track and read the others in this series. Kathleen and Johnny's Story is well written by Dorothy Garlock! It as a great story about 2 people destined for each other, but not sure how to get there. The story has a good enough twist and turn to capture your attention, and does a great job capturing the time period in which it takes place. Definitely recommended!!
Dawn Wells
So happy to read what happened to Kathleen and Johnny. Although to me their original story wasn't as good as the others. This book made up for "with heart" as you were finally drawn into knowing Kathleen. I already felt I knew Johnny so more character development increased his appeal. Enjoyed the ending to a good series.
Maura
Dec 29, 2011 Maura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Small town in Oklahoma set just after WW2. Hero has just returned and meets his estranged wife again. Wife is a writer and felt left all alone. Hero has to adjust to civilian life and his family. I liked the story because it invoked a long ago era.
Mercedes
Sep 07, 2013 Mercedes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed how Miss Garlock tied up all the loose ends, answers all those questions that we had from the last book, and still keep it interesting as well.
Danthony74
May 04, 2010 Danthony74 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing saga of Kathleen and Johnny Henry. Another mystery/love story set post world war II
Connie
Wonderful!!
Rosie
Jun 01, 2009 Rosie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it
Nicky
Nov 06, 2007 Nicky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ummm...I've been trying to finish this book for 2 months. I'm just not interested...I need a new one.
SheLove2Read
Jan 27, 2009 SheLove2Read rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set just after WW2. Very good, authentic post-war romance.
Mar 18, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Lots of side stories going on in addition to the main story. Set in 1945 after WW2 ended.
Carol
Mar 11, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this series!!
Cws
LP Gar
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
May 07, 2008
Mcfree
Mcfree rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2011
Beth Thompson
Beth Thompson rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2014
Tonya Baldwin
Tonya Baldwin rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Lyn
Lyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2013
Gayle
Gayle rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2008
Lil' MissCoosh Coosh
Lil' MissCoosh Coosh rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2011
Debra
Debra rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2014
Dee
Dee rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2008
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2010
  • Heaven Knows (Mackinnon, #5)
  • A Springwater Christmas (Springwater, #6)
  • Surrender to Love
  • Love in a Time of War
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • Heart Of Winter
  • How Angels Die
  • Border Moonlight (Border Trilogy II, #3)
  • The Color of Thunder
  • Bucks, Beds and Bricks: A Phorpres Childhood
  • When Two Loves Collide: The Inspiring Story of Dr. John and Dot Mooney
  • Unbroken Hearts (Easton Hearts, #1)
  • Passchendaele
  • Always and Forever
  • Just Revenge
  • The Wolf's Lair: Inside Hitler's Germany
  • Moon Bridge
  • The Darkwater Liar's Account
Dorothy Garlock is from Texas, but lived for a long time with her family in Iowa. Her romance novels have been translated into over 20 languages.

The mother of two and grandmother of three started her book-writing career in 1976 after working for 14 years as bookkeeper/columnist for the local newspaper. She had received 21 awards from various magazines and writer's groups. She was selected as Outst
More about Dorothy Garlock...

Dolan Brothers (5 books)
  • Ribbon in the Sky (Dolan Brothers, #1)
  • With Hope (Dolan Brothers, #2)
  • With Song (Dolan Brothers, #3)
  • With Heart (Dolan Brothers, #4)

“It's so Quite around here, I'm sure I heard a Bird Fart!” 3 likes