A Horse of Her Own

A Horse of Her Own

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  368 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Jane Ryan has always dreamed of having her own horse—but so long as she gets to ride her favorite horse, Beau, at Sunny Acres farm, she’s content. When summer camp begins, Jane receives heartbreaking news about Beau. She’s losing him to a new owner. When her trainer asks her to help with a newcomer to the barn, Lancelot, she has no choice but to say yes. Lancelot is beauti...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Square Fish (first published May 27th 2008)

Kate
I've been wanting to read this for a while - I had it on my library wish list for a while, then I was finally able to buy it for the library, and FINALLY I was able to read it. There aren't many horse books geared for young adults - most are middle grade.

13-year-old Jane wants a horse more than anything. She loves Beau, the school horse she rides in lessons, but she feels the other girls in her class look down on her because she doesn't own a horse. Still, she's thrilled to get into the Advance...more
Tasha
There is nothing in the world that fourteen year old Jane loves more than horses. Especially Beau, the horse she rides over at the local barn, Sunny Acres. While she loves Beau to death she still wishes that she had a horse to call her own. Even though Beau is not her own, Jane is excited to learn that she will get to ride him at riding camp this summer. What’s even more exciting is that she gets to spend six weeks with her best friend Robin. The down side is she will have to endure that group o...more
Hollie
A Horse Of Her Own
Annie Wedekind

Jane is very fortunate. Her family isn’t that wealthy but she manages to ride at Sunny Acres by helping around the farm and cleaning and helping other horses. Imagine how it feels to have your life change in just two seconds. This is what happened to Jane. Jane rode a horse named Beau and treated him like her own. I rode a horse when I was only taking lessons on her and I also treated her like my own.
While I was reading, I felt as though I was re-living that mo...more
Tiana
Mar 18, 2012 Tiana rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: horse-books
I really didn't care for this book. It was your typical horse book about the girl who doesn't fit in at the expensive riding school or at regular school, and she gets picked on because she doesn't have her own horse. I would definitely recommend not reading this book.
Parkeryouth
Great read for horse lovers.
Samantha
Ally H
A Horse of Her Own: Book Review
Author: Annie Wedekind
Review by: Allison Heath
A Horse of Her Own is about a girl named Jane who has been riding at sunny acres farm for years. Jane doesn't own a horse so she uses one named Beau from the barn. One day she is riding at sunny acres when she finds out terrible news, that she can no longer ride Beau. After, her trainer asked if she may want to train a horse named Lancelot. Lancelot is a great and talented horse but, can also be very dangerous. Jane mus...more
Bonnie
This was an early birthday present from a friend, a YA novel that was refreshingly honest and charming, if not remotely surprising. Jane is on her way to a horsey summer camp with her friend Robin, while trying to fit in with the popular clique of girls. Jane's family is a little offbeat and not wealthy enough to buy a horse for her and she ends up training on a championship show horse more or less abandoned by his selfish owner, one of the popular clique, of course. She overcomes the temperamen...more
Amanda
I wasn't so sure I'd like this one. Just looked like it might be boring to me. And the title is kinda cheesy. But the story? For the most part, I enjoyed it. Didn't love the third person, but I sympathized with the main character Jane nonetheless at times. Not as much as I like to, but still. The plot's pretty good, characters are pretty good, writing style is "eh." I read it pretty quickly and didn't want to put it down at times. So four stars. Probably better for horse people as at times the d...more
Katelynn
I though how close that was to my own life and that it was a great book
Julie Cotton
~ Cute teenaged girl's book. Pretty simple, and I got a little lost (and as a result, bored) with all the jumping explanations. Maybe, if I jumped or cross-countried horses, I'd have enjoyed it even more.
~ I can see my 13 year old niece Sara getting into the social situations (drama) going on at the horse camp as well as identiying with someone who doesn't actually own her own horse.
~ I like how the main character evolved from a shallow, needy kid to a self-confident girl feeling more comfortabl...more
Trene1968
Great read aloud!!! entire family loved it.
Stephanie A.
Can I just echo Kate Spofford's review? Like she said, it's rare to find a YA (as opposed to middle grade) novel featuring a girl and a horse. It's even rarer to find one where the horse and her relationship with it is the central focus, rather than it just being an expensive toy/side diversion for a rich girl. And regardless of the age range, I usually have to go back about 50 years to find horse books of this quality. Such a gem.
Hannah

This book was probably the worst book I've read so far. Almost everything the protagonist did and said annoyed me. The author tried to incorporate humor but this book was not funny. It was also very repetitive for example, the main character blushes after almost everything. I get she is supposed to be shy but it is way too overboard with that concept.
H.orses
This is a cute little book for any horse lover. Its all about one girls struggle though a summer of equine camp, with snotty backstabbing popular's, and old friends. She even makes a few new ones too. Ever wonder how it feels to get ready for a big show? This book will take you though it all, in one easy read that is a fun book to just relax with.
Nattymarsha
I did enjoy the storyline and the style that it was written in, but it was a bit slow at times and too easy to read. One thing that I really liked is how the author addressed some of the problems that youths have about fitting in and feeling left out by other youths since it seemed to be a very realistic situation.
Karen
My horse loving 7 year old picked this one out and a fun bedtime read with her. There is a slight romance but only insinuation and no kissing or things I didn't want to discuss. Sweet protagonist who is spunky, competitive, and her own person. Good role model for young girls.
Kaila L
This book is about a girl who has to give up her horse and has a chance to get another. The book all about horses and I love horses and read all about horses. I thought that this book was very good and I would recommend for people who love horses to read this.
Tracy
This is the kind of book I would have read 30 years ago during my "horse crazy" years as a young girl. I would've loved it then and I really liked it now as an adult because it reminded me how much I too loved horses when I was a kid.
Megan [can anybody find me]
I got this book for free when I was volunteering at the library. I remember it being good, and funny. I enjoyed it. Of course, that was when I was more into horses, but I think that I'll read it again. And I think I'll still enjoy it.
Meagan T
I gave this book 4 stars because it had a lot of emotion. The events were somewhat thrilling.I think that the author gave this book credible actions. The reader can feel suspense when they read at a part with the competitions.
Josephine
Very 'after school specialish', complete with mean girls, but I appreciate any author who includes horse slobber and getting run under tree branches as a normal part of dealing with horses.
Saddleseat Sammi
This was a really great book, awesome for the horse lover, makes a great gift!!!! I really enjoyed it! Written for kids like 10-13, but otherwise pretty good. :D read it!
Jess
One of my top favorites! In A Horse of Her Own, a teenage girl seeks escape at her riding farm in Kentucky. Only there will she find what she is made of....
Aaron
It is really hard to find good horse books for YA and "A Horse of Her Own" really out did my expectations! Read this book! You will be presently suprised!
Gabby Cates
It was an amazing book. I loved all the suspense and surprises. Especially when Jane jumped "Lancelot" for the first time.
Marie Thomas
I really enjoyed it! I don't recommend it to people who aren't familiar to the horse world however.
Parker Hulin
This was a very good book that I enjoyed reading a lot. This book is definitely for you if you enjoy horses.
Hannah
I thought this book was good, but it took God's name in vain alot.
Sophie
This book was really boring, and I don't recommend it :)
  • Sundancer (Saddle Creek, #1)
  • Dream of Night
  • Blind Beauty
  • The Outside of a Horse
  • The Georges and the Jewels (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #1)
  • Shadow Horse
  • Take the Reins (Canterwood Crest, #1)
  • Firehorse
  • The New Class (Chestnut Hill, #1)
  • The A Circuit (The A Circuit, #1)
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • Wild Thing (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #1)
  • Paint the Wind
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul: Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • No Small Thing
  • The Wild One (Phantom Stallion, #1)
  • Wild Girl
Annie Wedekind grew up riding horses in Louisville, Kentucky. Since then, she’s been in the saddle in every place she’s lived, from Rhode Island to New Orleans, South Africa to New York. Her first novel, A Horse of Her Own, was praised by Kirkus as “possibly the most honest horse book since National Velvet . . . A champion.” She is also the author of The Breyer Horse Collection books, including Wi...more
More about Annie Wedekind...
Wild Blue: The Story of a Mustang Appaloosa Little Prince: The Story of a Shetland Pony Samirah's Ride: The Story of an Arabian Filly Mercury's Flight: The Story of a Lipizzaner Stallion

“Riding, she often thought, was not for those afraid to get a little dirt.” 2 likes