Start by marking “Call Me Ted” as Want to Read:
Call Me Ted

Call Me Ted

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  730 ratings  ·  137 reviews
"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise!"

These words of fatherly advice helped shape Ted Turner's remarkable life, but they only begin to explain the colorful, energetic, and unique style that has made Ted into one of the most amazing personalities of our time. Along the way - among his numerous accomplishments -- Ted became one of the richest men in th
Published November 10th 2008 by Business Plus

To ask other readers questions about Call Me Ted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Me Ted

Darrenglass
I cant help it. I'm a sucker for Ted Turner. Between an interest in the early days of cable television, a connection to Atlanta, and an obsession with the Braves, I just like the guy. Besides, I have always felt that the world could use a few more eccentric billionaires who are willing to put their money where their mouth is, especially when they are outspoken on issues like world peace, nuclear nonproliferation, and the environment.

Turner has finally written some memoirs, and I found it fun to
Kelly
I've always been a fan of Ted Turner and now love him even more after reading CALL ME TED. It's a fascinating read and completely delivers.
Evan
He's done so much with his life so far. This is one of the best autobiographies I've ever read.
Suzanne
This memoir lives up to its billing. The voice is Ted's through and through. What makes it unique is his raw, unflinching honesty in conveying his "assets and liabilities" , both personal and professional. I found myself wincing at times while reading, not just because of what was done to Ted, but also because of what he did/neglected to do and/or said to others. "Captain Outrageous" and the "mouth from the South" were terms often used to describe Ted, and, indeed, were appropriate. His relentle ...more
Gisela Hausmann
For those who want to know...

what keeps Ted Turner going, this is the book!! Conceiving the concept of and actually creating CNN are probably Ted Turner's greatest achievements. Yes, he is a fabulous, driven sailor, but so are others. Yes, he is a dedicated environmentalist but so are others.

However, the concept of having breaking news, world-wide, around the clock, was revolutionary. I believe that in a way this move helped to usher in the era of the world-wide web. In a way, Turner's vision of
Brasel -
Dec 04, 2008 Brasel - rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
I have always been a Fan of Ted Turner. Growing up in the Atlanta area, he was the subject. I admire him and so enjoyed having him to read the book, Actually, he wasn't reading, he was telling the story. Listening to him, I would often say to myself, "I remember that." If I could ever meet him and just sit and talk to him, it would be awesome.

Yes I listen to books everyday on my hour to work and the hour home.

I recommend this book to anyone that has ever wanted to meet all their goals. Much in
Ron
I liked this one a lot more than I thought I was going to -- Turner's a pretty outspoken guy, so his stories about how he started turning a billboard business into a multimedia empire were awfully engaging. You've got the CNN stuff, the Atlanta Braves and WTBS stuff, the America's Cup, the Time Warner years, the Jane Fonda years... Turner also incorporates a lot of feedback from his business colleagues (including some rivals) and his family, so it's not all one-sided.
Gail Strickland
Say what you will about The Mouth of the South, but Ted's an astute businessman. He did go on (and on) about financing schemes he used for funding, but overall, it was a good look inside his brain (be afraid, be very afraid...LOL). It was a stroke of genius giving his friends, family, and even Jane Fonda space to write (uncensored, I've heard) about him.
Salim
Phenomenal book on an amazing visionary. I purchased the audiobook because it is read by Ted Turner himself - a brilliant book. If you have any interest in media, including the development of cable TV and cable programming, the big three broadcast networks (CBS, ABC, NBC), media companies, movie studios, sports leagues, tech and media moguls including Rupert Murdoch, Steve Case at AOL, the Time Warner guys, Jack Welch, Kirk Kerkorian, Bill Gates, Jerry Yang, Malone (TCI), all the other cable com ...more
Gary Miller
Call Me Ted by Ted Turner

Basically his autobiography. Some of the financial stuff was dull and boring and I skipped over those parts, but in the process of skipping over those parts, I fear I may have missed some other stuff.

He spoke mostly about his business acquisitions and secondarily about his boat racing, which is a hobby of his. He speaks very little about his children or wives, especially Jane Fonda. I was expecting some interesting tidbits about his marriage to Fonda, but he spoke very l
J.A.
I very much enjoyed hearing this Ted Turner's story and having him read it himself added to the overall value and enjoyment. His life's story if truly inspiring. All great achievers have adversary and find the mean neccessary to overcome them. Turner seemed to always be driven for something more. He is visionary type. IF you have any interest in the broadcasting industry or are curious as to how we ended up with cable TV today this story will fill you in and give you a sense of knowing the behin ...more
John
I've been mildly curious about Ted Turner for years - first when he won the America's Cup, then when he married Jane Fonda, and finally when his name came up during the AOL-Time Warner debacle.

His memoirs are continually interesting - what a character! He is also a great philanthropist and conservationist. He also let important people from his life make comments along the way - not all positive.

This is an easy read and well worth the effort.
Beverly
Ted Turner became one of the richest men in the world, the largest land owner in the United States, revolutionized the television business with the creation of TBS and CNN, became a champion sailor and winner of the America's Cup, and took home a World Series championship trophy in 1995 as owner of the Atlanta Braves. Fascinating and very frank expose.
Eric
Ted Turner is one of my biggest heros for reclaiming so much land here in the West. He has re-established vanished species, specifically the buffalo to their native habitat. He is perhaps the foremost American Conservationist with 2 million acres restored and protected. Way to go Ted!
Mkolakow
This book was fantastic...inspiring even. I wasn't sure what to expect, especially considering that I knew very little about Ted Turner. It's remarkable what he's been through and what he's accomplished.

What made the book the best is that it was narrated by him. He's got a great speaking voice and it added a very personal touch. I don't think I would have enjoyed reading this book near as much as listening to it.

Another nice thing about Ted is that he doesn't really brag. The book doesn't come a
Brian
I'm not a big fan of autobiographies, but after seeing an interview with Ted Turner on TV, I was impressed enough to want to get his book. His forte' is business, not writing. It just came of to me like a PR piece. Maybe that's why I don't care for autobiographies, I'm too cynical. Additionally, there are vignettes in the book that are written by other people telling how great a guy he is. I just found that a bit hokie.

From a historic perspective, I did enjoy reading about his success especiall
Andrea James
Aside from Ted Turner's media businesses, I didn't know much about the guy. I enjoyed his energy and enthusiasm and admired how driven he is to succeed.

The book has a good pace and he keeps it entertaining throughout and gives us a small glimpse into how he thinks about things. It was interesting to learn about his childhood, his relationship with his father and subsequently relationship he had with his children when they were young.

Ted was quite candid that for many years he spent very little
Luis
Ted Turner is an engaging, funny, intelligent, visionary and humanitarian entrepreneur. I had a lot of fun reading this book. Turner’s has a very unique personality and many qualities that have made him the successful businessman that he is. He is an energetic and committed hard worker. As a businessman myself I learned a lot from the strategies and methods that Turner has used that have helped him achieve success. It is hard not to compare yourself to Turner, and other successful people when re ...more
Berrydoo
Richard Stephenson
Recommend to anyone who wants to learn about a media innovator and passionate entrepreneur.

====================

Ted Turner is one of those guys a whole lot of people *think* they know a lot about but really don't when it comes down to brass tacks. It is a very interesting position to get the information from ted himself as opposed to the media that he helped create and transform.

This is an inspiring, roller-coaster-esque, fun, and thought-provoking journey through the life of a man who changed th
Nicki
I decided to read this book after seeing Ted being interviewed on Piers Morgan this summer. I was totally intrigued and absolutely mystified by Ted's openness and vulnerability. This kind of emotional openness did not fit my image of a highly successful businessman. (Which says more about my biases than it does about the business world itself.)
I did not know much about Ted Turner other than the basic facts that anyone would know from being over 50 and reading the news. I knew Ted created Turner
Nathan
"Call Me Ted" is Ted Turner's autobiography on his life from his difficult childhood to inheriting his father's billboard business as a young man after his suicide to getting screwed in the AOL/Time Warner deal. The story is very interesting and Ted presents his story in a take me or leave me manner that doesn't hide his successes or flaws.

While Ted inherited his father's large and successful billboard advertising company, Ted did an outstanding job of finding new opportunities in the emerging r
Serena
Call Me Ted by Ted Turner and Bill Burke on audio is an adventurous ride through Ted Turner's life from his childhood to his "retirement." This audio, which is 13 disks long, is read by the man himself. His southern accent and his passionate reading of this autobiography will make readers feel at home by his hearth as he recounts the biggest and smallest events in his life.

Not only is the audio read by Ted, but there are a number of side stories told by family members, an ex-wife, business colle
Tom
I sat on this book for a while. I'm just not the type to really get into biographies. It's just some guys life, you know? I'm glad I finally decided to read this book. Ted Turner is an extraordinary man, who is still somewhat humble about life while being a great showman and businessman.

I thought the book to be well organized, with each chapter taking a clear break from the previous and delving into a new aspect of his life. His troubles with family life disappointed me, as I'm big on family lif
Joy H.
Dec 14, 2011 Joy H. marked it as listened-to-partially  ·  review of another edition
_Call Me Ted_ by Ted Turner, Bill Burke ((first published in 2008)
Added 10/12/11.
I'm currently listening to an audio CD of this book. I'm on the third disc; there are 13 discs altogether.

The man must have had enormous energy and ambition to do what he did. It's interesting to learn that early in his life he was involved in the mundane world of billboard advertising. From the beginning I can see that he was a "wheeler-dealer" (in a good sense). He must have loved that type of thing. As for me, t
queen esther
Viet Nguyen
Bí quyết thành công của Ted Turner: "Ngủ sớm dậy sớm, làm việc như trâu và quảng cáo!"
...
"Tôi đặc biệt biết ơn lời khuyên của cha tổi là phải đặt mục tiêu của mình thật cao đến mức mình không thể đạt được trong suốt cuộc đời. Nguồn cảm hứng đó tiếp thêm năng lượng cho tôi hăm hở làm việc cật lực hằng ngày, không chỉ trong công tác từ thiện mà cả những hoạt động kinh doanh mới nữa"
...
Một cuốn sách rất hay về Ted Turner, ông trùm truyền thông Hoa Kì. Toàn bộ cuốn hồi kí là những tự sự vô cùng thẳ
Chris Munson
As a former resident of Montana, I was never a huge fan of Ted Turner (if you lived there...you would understand). However, I have made it my personal mission to study as many successful people as I can. After reading "Call Me Ted," I can say that I judged Ted too harshly. Like many of us, he had a difficult childhood and it left a very deep mark on him. I respect his tenacity (he grew his late father's business into a media empire), positive attitude and his ability to adapt...there is a lot to ...more
Douglas Graney
Ted Turner is 1/2 lunatic, 1/2 visionary.
I really enjoyed his description of buidling his media empire. Perhaps an unintentional attribute of the book is that it's a great history of the cable industry. Who would have thought The Cartoon Network would be so profitable? Ted Turner did.
I wish he had provide more stories regarding his ownership of the Atlanta Braves. I did not find his America's Cup/sailing adventures interesting.
He's an interesting guy. Worth reading.
Ronald Wise
The interesting tale of Ted Turner's personal life and business career, and better yet an insider's view of the evolution of modern media in the United States. It made me feel old to recall those early days of cable television and the SuperStation out of Atlanta. Turner did not try to minimize his history of intense drive, but in those parts where you might have suspected him of boastfulness, he included short narratives from others that put it back into perspective. I was a little disappointed ...more
Партнёрка 1 3 Apr 21, 2009 07:21AM
Surprised to have been so engrossed in Ted Turner's story 1 14 Jan 10, 2009 01:53PM
  • The First Billion Is the Hardest: How Believing It's Still Early in the Game Can Lead to Life's Greatest Comebacks
  • Donny Deutsch's Big Idea: How To Make Your Entrepreneurial Dreams Come True, From The AHA Moment To Your First Million
  • Made From Scratch: A Memoir
  • This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future
  • Co-Opetition
  • Ahead of the Curve: Two Years at Harvard Business School
  • Crowdsourcing: Why the Power of the Crowd Is Driving the Future of Business
  • The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie
  • Trade-Off: Why Some Things Catch On, and Others Don't
  • Billion-Dollar Lessons: What You Can Learn from the Most Inexcusable Business Failures of the Last 25 Years
  • American Prince: A Memoir
  • The Game-Changer: How You Can Drive Revenue and Profit Growth with Innovation
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • Stealing MySpace: The Battle to Control the Most Popular Website in America
  • The Loyalty Effect: The Hidden Force Behind Growth, Profits, and Lasting Value
  • 10-10-10: A Life-Transforming Idea
  • Morgan: American Financier
Little Known Facts About Ted
Only one of a few people who have been on the cover of Sports Illustrated and Time magazine for different reasons

Currently holds 42 honorary degrees from such institutions as Brown University (Providence, R.I.), Morehouse College (Atlanta, Ga.), The Citadel (Charleston, S.C.) and Mississippi University for Women (Columbus, Miss.)

Number of sailing trophies won: 176

Fav
More about Ted Turner...
Call Me Ted The Racing Edge Last Stand: Ted Turner's Quest to Save a Troubled Planet Big Sur and Beyond: The Legacy of the Big Sur Land Trust An America's Cup Treasury: The Lost Levick Photographs, 18931937

“It was okay for people to write negative things about me just as long as they spelled my name right.” 3 likes