Start by marking “Rock & Roll Jihad: A Muslim Rock Star's Revolution” as Want to Read:
Rock & Roll Jihad: A Muslim Rock Star's Revolution

Rock & Roll Jihad: A Muslim Rock Star's Revolution

"The story you are about to read is the story of a light-bringer....Salman Ahmad inspires me to reach always for the greatest heights and never to fear....Know that his story is a part of our history."
-- Melissa Etheridge, from the Introduction

With 30 million record sales under his belt, and with fans including Bono and Al Gore, Pakistanborn Salman Ahmad is renowned for
Published January 12th 2010 by Free Press (first published December 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rock & Roll Jihad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rock & Roll Jihad

Trish
Mar 17, 2010 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, asia
The best thing I liked about this book is something that is not in it: the music. As a result of reading of Ahmad's struggle to be a musician in a country that no longer valued new forms of musical expression (Pakistan in its ideologue phase), I downloaded some of his music and found it fascinating and accessible, retaining some essential South Asian characteristics while sharing some of our instruments, rhythms, and feel. But Ahmad does a good job of showing the trajectory of his life, the choi ...more
Tariq Mahmood
Apr 01, 2013 Tariq Mahmood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pakistan
Fantastic book, I read it all in one day. I guess I am prejudiced slightly as I have always been a Januni fan but the level of information and Salman's candidness in divulging details of political events and their impact on his life made the book a very worthwhile read indeed. There are bits in the book in which Salman does get carried away slightly, like the very first chapter where he mentions Taliban smashing his guitar in a five star hotel in Lahore a bit far fetched, but than I would put th ...more
Jeff
Jan 21, 2010 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author is a bit of a blow hard but he's led a fascinating, dare I say inspirational, life. Worth it if you can get past the mediocrity of the writing and the constant self-aggrandizement.
Naved
Jul 14, 2012 Naved rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
long time Junoon fan i always wanted to read what he might offer us in terms of his writing. it was a good read. But not what i expected. i will rate it 4 :)
Sandra
Aug 23, 2011 Sandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
HATED THIS BOOK. lol A friend recommended it and I read it before her and hated it. Read quite a way into and then had to stop. She read it and loved it..

OVERVIEW:

-- Melissa Etheridge, from the Introduction

Zulfiqar
Jan 02, 2013 Zulfiqar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This was fresh, original pop music, and I was intrigued. But intrigue turned to serious interest when Junaid told me the story behind the music of "Dil Dil Pakistan." Salman, yaar, one day a television producer turned up at our band practice in Islamabad," Junaid began in the brash voice of his public alter ego. "His name's Shoaib Mansoor and he's a very talented, shy, and bohemian kind of guy," Junaid explained. The tall, soft spoken and principled Shoaib had apparently refused to cast one of ...more
Garryvivianne
Jul 06, 2010 Garryvivianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. This is the life story of Salman Ahmad, a Pakistani kid who has always loved music. When the family moves to New York, he has a rough start in fitting in, but through music he makes many friends. His first concert being Led Zeppelin, he was stung by the rock & roll bug. That was his life's desire, when his family uproots them again to Pakistan & tell him he is to become a doctor. The story goes through so much of his life, all his dreams, the politics of the times & ...more
Donna
Oct 16, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this at the dollar store when I was in Florida and I'm glad I did! I really liked this book, which is an autobiography by Salman Ahmad, who is a Pakistani-American musician. Salman helped to form a Sufi-rock group in Pakistan, Junoon. Amid political upheaval in Pakistan, the band was criticized for mixing rock music with Islam and was banned several times in that country. It really is an amazing story about trying to debunk stereotypes and about the use of music and other arts to bring ...more
Saeed
Feb 15, 2010 Saeed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well worth it especially if you've ever been a fan of Junoon or Salman Ahmad. Easy-to-read, straightforwardly written memoir from Salman that transmits the essence of his optimistic Sufi-oriented take on life. Skipping some dirty personal details by slapping himself on the back a few too many times, there are frank moments in the book which are very moving, especially his visit to his mother's ancestral home in Patiala.
Ali Bhatti
May 31, 2015 Ali Bhatti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off really well with a refreshing account of the musician's childhood leading towards the political situation in Pakistan during the 80's and early 90's (though the reader will notice a slight exaggeration)had many references on Sufism and strong and valid arguments on Islam, a VERY interesting incident with Mick Jagger and most importantly a pretty neat insight into Pakistani music; some might find it biased but over all makes it a good read for all fans of Junoon.
Muhammad Ali
May 04, 2013 Muhammad Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is worth reading if you are a fan of Junoon Band like me. This books is about the life of lead guitarist of a Pakiatani band name Junoon. The part, I really enjoyed reading was when Salman Ahmad started Junoon band and get fame as a Rock star in a Muslim country. I really recommend this book if you are interested to know history of Pop music in Pakistan. Salman Ahmad also mentioned how his band was affected by different government policies.
Judy
May 19, 2014 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because it helped to open my eyes a little more to how others think and feel. It is encouraging to read about someone who uses their talents to help other cultures connect in peaceful ways. the author does not feel the need of proving his loyalty to his country by hating other countries. I now want to read more about how others are promoting peace between other cultures and religions.
Amad Habib
Mar 25, 2015 Amad Habib rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Its one of the most laborious writings I have ever came across in my life. It lacks cohesion and conciseness. Salman, goes out of the way to show Pakistan as the most deprived, filthy and stone-aged place to live on this earth. I feel that he has fabricated every incident in this book and portrayed him self the Messiah of modern age. In short this book is so called vivid story of light-bringer who is actually an American wannabe.
Harriett Milnes
May 26, 2012 Harriett Milnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-books
I bought this book a few years back when the author did a book signing at Tattered Cover. It turned out he was related to a friend. The book languished on my shelf, unread. I finally picked it up and really enjoyed his writing. He is a Pakistani who spent his high school years in the suburbs of NYC. He went back to Pakistan and became a rock star!
Mark
Jul 01, 2010 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahmad's struggle to succeed in bringing a music he loved to the people of the country he loved overall makes for a rather fulfilling read. At its worst, it's a rather formulaic biography of a rock star you've probably never heard of. At its best though, its a powerful symbol of the power that music and passion can have in healing bonds and bridging cultural gulfs.
Vikas Datta
Aug 17, 2014 Vikas Datta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant account - not only a captivating account of a diasporic life and of music creation and performance but also of the heavy hand, repressive regimes and segments of authoritarian releigion have on creativity and personal freedom...
Melissa
Dec 28, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some parts were great, others dragged. I appreciated his expressing the stories of Pakistani people's struggle for freedoms and how he played part in it. The Jagger story rocked, would have enjoyed more stories like it.
Madiha
Feb 11, 2013 Madiha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it, this book gives us a great message that success is tied to not giving up on one's dreams.
Rahul
Jul 21, 2012 Rahul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It gives good insight to Pakistan rock/pop music scene while it was still in the nascent stage. Interesting.
Suhaim
Sep 11, 2012 Suhaim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is inspirational but the writing is mediocre and the typos drove me nuts. That being said, people like Salman Ahmad are needed in the muslim world. It was worth a read
Supriya
Oct 31, 2010 Supriya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh Salman, I love your music and ridiculously after reading this book, I love you a little bit too. I don't know why because it's not amazing except in how self-serving it is, but - gaah.
Michael Matlick
Michael Matlick rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2014
Muhammad Zeeshan Adil
Muhammad Zeeshan Adil rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2016
Muhammad Hassan
Muhammad Hassan rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Laskir
Laskir rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Rik
Rik rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Yemberzel
Yemberzel rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Susan Hoye
Susan Hoye rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2014
Shashin
Shashin rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Home Boy
  • Survive!: My Fight for Life in the High Sierras
  • War at the Top of the World: The Struggle for Afghanistan, Kashjmir and Tibet (Revised & Updated)
  • Kinfolks: Falling Off the Family Tree - The Search for My Melungeon Ancestors
  • Amarcord: Marcella Remembers
  • A-Rod: The Many Lives of Alex Rodriguez
  • A Writer's Life
  • The Gunny Sack
  • Do-Over!: In Which a Forty-Eight-Year-Old Father of Three Returns to Kindergarten, Summer Camp, the Prom, and Other Embarrassments
  • Corked