Start by marking “Rock & Roll Jihad: A Muslim Rock Star's Revolution” as Want to Read:
Rock & Roll Jihad: A Muslim Rock Star's Revolution

Rock & Roll Jihad: A Muslim Rock Star's Revolution

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"The story you are about to read is the story of a light-bringer....Salman Ahmad inspires me to reach always for the greatest heights and never to fear....Know that his story is a part of our history."
-- Melissa Etheridge, from the Introduction

With 30 million record sales under his belt, and with fans including Bono and Al Gore, Pakistanborn Salman Ahmad is renowned for
Published January 12th 2010 by Free Press (first published December 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rock & Roll Jihad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rock & Roll Jihad

Trish
The best thing I liked about this book is something that is not in it: the music. As a result of reading of Ahmad's struggle to be a musician in a country that no longer valued new forms of musical expression (Pakistan in its ideologue phase), I downloaded some of his music and found it fascinating and accessible, retaining some essential South Asian characteristics while sharing some of our instruments, rhythms, and feel. But Ahmad does a good job of showing the trajectory of his life, the choi ...more
Tariq Mahmood
Fantastic book, I read it all in one day. I guess I am prejudiced slightly as I have always been a Januni fan but the level of information and Salman's candidness in divulging details of political events and their impact on his life made the book a very worthwhile read indeed. There are bits in the book in which Salman does get carried away slightly, like the very first chapter where he mentions Taliban smashing his guitar in a five star hotel in Lahore a bit far fetched, but than I would put th ...more
Jeff
The author is a bit of a blow hard but he's led a fascinating, dare I say inspirational, life. Worth it if you can get past the mediocrity of the writing and the constant self-aggrandizement.
Naved
long time Junoon fan i always wanted to read what he might offer us in terms of his writing. it was a good read. But not what i expected. i will rate it 4 :)
Garryvivianne
I loved this book. This is the life story of Salman Ahmad, a Pakistani kid who has always loved music. When the family moves to New York, he has a rough start in fitting in, but through music he makes many friends. His first concert being Led Zeppelin, he was stung by the rock & roll bug. That was his life's desire, when his family uproots them again to Pakistan & tell him he is to become a doctor. The story goes through so much of his life, all his dreams, the politics of the times & ...more
Sandra
HATED THIS BOOK. lol A friend recommended it and I read it before her and hated it. Read quite a way into and then had to stop. She read it and loved it..

OVERVIEW:

-- Melissa Etheridge, from the Introduction

Ali Bhatti
Started off really well with a refreshing account of the musician's childhood leading towards the political situation in Pakistan during the 80's and early 90's (though the reader will notice a slight exaggeration)had many references on Sufism and strong and valid arguments on Islam, a VERY interesting incident with Mick Jagger and most importantly a pretty neat insight into Pakistani music; some might find it biased but over all makes it a good read for all fans of Junoon.
Judy
I enjoyed this book because it helped to open my eyes a little more to how others think and feel. It is encouraging to read about someone who uses their talents to help other cultures connect in peaceful ways. the author does not feel the need of proving his loyalty to his country by hating other countries. I now want to read more about how others are promoting peace between other cultures and religions.
Amad Habib
Its one of the most laborious writings I have ever came across in my life. It lacks cohesion and conciseness. Salman, goes out of the way to show Pakistan as the most deprived, filthy and stone-aged place to live on this earth. I feel that he has fabricated every incident in this book and portrayed him self the Messiah of modern age. In short this book is so called vivid story of light-bringer who is actually an American wannabe.
Vikas Datta
A brilliant account - not only a captivating account of a diasporic life and of music creation and performance but also of the heavy hand, repressive regimes and segments of authoritarian releigion have on creativity and personal freedom...
Muhammad Ali
This book is worth reading if you are a fan of Junoon Band like me. This books is about the life of lead guitarist of a Pakiatani band name Junoon. The part, I really enjoyed reading was when Salman Ahmad started Junoon band and get fame as a Rock star in a Muslim country. I really recommend this book if you are interested to know history of Pop music in Pakistan. Salman Ahmad also mentioned how his band was affected by different government policies.
Saeed
Well worth it especially if you've ever been a fan of Junoon or Salman Ahmad. Easy-to-read, straightforwardly written memoir from Salman that transmits the essence of his optimistic Sufi-oriented take on life. Skipping some dirty personal details by slapping himself on the back a few too many times, there are frank moments in the book which are very moving, especially his visit to his mother's ancestral home in Patiala.
Mark
Ahmad's struggle to succeed in bringing a music he loved to the people of the country he loved overall makes for a rather fulfilling read. At its worst, it's a rather formulaic biography of a rock star you've probably never heard of. At its best though, its a powerful symbol of the power that music and passion can have in healing bonds and bridging cultural gulfs.
Harriett Milnes
I bought this book a few years back when the author did a book signing at Tattered Cover. It turned out he was related to a friend. The book languished on my shelf, unread. I finally picked it up and really enjoyed his writing. He is a Pakistani who spent his high school years in the suburbs of NYC. He went back to Pakistan and became a rock star!
Melissa
Some parts were great, others dragged. I appreciated his expressing the stories of Pakistani people's struggle for freedoms and how he played part in it. The Jagger story rocked, would have enjoyed more stories like it.
Supriya
Oh Salman, I love your music and ridiculously after reading this book, I love you a little bit too. I don't know why because it's not amazing except in how self-serving it is, but - gaah.
Suhaim
The book is inspirational but the writing is mediocre and the typos drove me nuts. That being said, people like Salman Ahmad are needed in the muslim world. It was worth a read
Rahul
It gives good insight to Pakistan rock/pop music scene while it was still in the nascent stage. Interesting.
Madiha
I enjoyed it, this book gives us a great message that success is tied to not giving up on one's dreams.
brook
A potentially great story, but written by a rock star. Brett Michaels goes humanitarian.
Zoha Imtiyaz
Zoha Imtiyaz marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Shasank Pokharel
Shasank Pokharel marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
George Eliot
George Eliot marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Krishna Kanth
Krishna Kanth is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Mystic Expressions by Sadequain The Saga of Sadequain The Legend of Sadequain: Renaissance of Calligraphic Art in Pakistan Rock & Roll Jihad: A Muslim Rock Star's Revolution for Peace Realism to Calligraphic Cubism: The Legacy of Sadequain from Paris to Pakistan