Start by marking “Sold: Kisah Tragis Penjualan Gadis-Gadis Belia di Rumah Bordil” as Want to Read:
Sold: Kisah Tragis Penjualan Gadis-Gadis Belia di Rumah Bordil

Sold: Kisah Tragis Penjualan Gadis-Gadis Belia di Rumah Bordil

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  35,858 Ratings  ·  4,472 Reviews
Sinopsis
“Sangat mengena…mengharukan. Penulis berhasil menyelaraskan kerasnya kehidupan di sebuah bordil dengan persahabatan yang mengharukan di antara para penghuninya.”
--Publishers Weekly

“Sebuah rekaman tak terlupakan tentang perbudakan seks sebagaimana adanya saat ini.”
--Booklist

Setiap tahun, ribuan gadis belia dijual ke dalam jaringan pelacuran di kota-kota besar di s
Published December 19th 2009 by Pustaka IIMaN (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sold, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jill She is young and entirely innocent when she is first enslaved. Her parents send her off to be a maid and she believes that is what the man is doing…moreShe is young and entirely innocent when she is first enslaved. Her parents send her off to be a maid and she believes that is what the man is doing and where he is taking her. (This sounds incredible but it happens often - exactly as the book describes.) She's never seen prostitution or a brothel. She doesn't have a reference for what is happening to her. She is also drugged.(less)
Melissa Yahne A young girl in a not-well-off town lives a tough life, but always has a positive attitude for her 'ama' (mother). A bit into the book, her stepfather…moreA young girl in a not-well-off town lives a tough life, but always has a positive attitude for her 'ama' (mother). A bit into the book, her stepfather says she's going to go to the city to work and have money to send home to them, however, as Lakshmi soon realizes, she was sold into sex slavery as a barely teen girl. We see her reactions, her depressions, friendships, the few things she can look forward to, and the many things she succumbs to in this new life. (less)

Regan
Jun 17, 2015 Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
Devastating.
Ms.Whitehead
Mar 10, 2008 Ms.Whitehead rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AM I PRETTY?

In the days after the hugging man leaves, I consider myself in the mirror. My plain self, not the self wearing lipstick and eyeliner and a flimsy dress.

Sometimes I see a girl who is growing into womanhood. Other days I see a girl growing old before her time.

It doesn't matter, of course. Because no one will ever want me now.

Lakshmi is thirteen-years-old. She lives a simple, albeit impoverished, existence with with her Ama, infant sibling and gambling-addicted stepfather in a Nepalese
Petra Eggs
Beautifully-written with much heartache for these young girls who are sold into prostitution by their families. Sometimes they are sold because of extreme poverty and all money must be spent on the Males of the family. But sometimes, as in the book, they are sold just because the Male wants a new winter coat and a girl is just money wasted in feeding her when she could be sold for cash and no expenses in the future.

The saddest part of the book is the girls weren't "working" for money even. But
else fine
Jan 29, 2009 else fine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2009, ya
1. This book conveys less about the triumph of the human spirit and more about how Americans fix everything. In tone it read exactly like an early missionary novel.

2. I wish people would only write novels in verse if the verse actually served some purpose in the plot or the development of the character, or if the verse was good. In Sold it's simply a weird affectation.

3. The fact brought up as an afterthought in the end notes, that Nepalese women are fighting back by educating young village wom
karen
Jul 14, 2009 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hoors, mark-harmon
Heather
What a powerful, haunting story! Written in free verse from the perspective of a 13 year old Nepalese girl, who was sold from her mountain home to earn a living as a maid in the big city. Lakshmi was saddened to leave her mother and her baby brother, but she was eager to earn a living so she could send money back to her family for necessities like clothing, food, and a new tin roof, for which they were in desperate need. But when Lakshmi leaves, she is not taken to the big city to work as a maid ...more
Kiwi
Sep 27, 2008 Kiwi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kiwi by: Ms. Fraser
I don't enjoy writing long reviews. I did really enjoy this book. As a warning, do not have ANY intentions of putting this book down. I was reading it the night after a long flight from the US to the UK, and I thought, "I'll read some before I go to bed." I got to the halfway mark and thought, "Well, what's the harm in reading some more?"

And then it was over. Meaning I had spent far longer than I had intended to reading, and the book had been finished in two sittings--one on the plane and one in
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
"Each year, nearly 12,000 Nepali girls are sold by their families, intentionally or unwittingly, into a life of sexual slavery in the brothels of India."
This author traveled to Nepal and Calcutta for her research, interviewing aid workers and girls who have been rescued from the red-light districts of Calcutta.

The book follows the path of Lakshmi, a thirteen-year-old Nepali girl, as she is sold and makes the journey to India, thinking she is going to be a maid for a rich woman. It's written for
Whitney
Aug 05, 2015 Whitney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this is a quick read, it does pack quite a bit of punch. This book opens your eyes to what's going on in the world.

I think everyone needs to take some time to read this one.
Anna
Jul 01, 2014 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I'm so torn on this one. Read the entire thing in one sitting - it was gripping and staggeringly beautiful in its descriptions of everyday life - both its sublime and simple beauties and its deepest horrors. I love that it takes on sex slavery in an unflinching way - there's no ducking out on or thinking "oh it isn't that bad" as you read Lakshmi's narrative. But, gosh, the ending kills me. White American to the rescue!

To be transparent - this is a text I'm thinking of taking on in my World Lit
Kaora
Aug 19, 2014 Kaora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My name is Lakshmi. I am from Nepal. I am thirteen years old.

Sold is the story of Lakshmi, a girl from a small village living with her Ama, baby brother and stepfather. Her stepfather sells her for money to pay gambling debts, and she is brought to the city, only to find out that there is no maid job waiting for her. She has been sold into prostitution.

This story was hard to read. Its really difficult to think about a place where a woman can be sold for $300, and purchased for a night for the pr
Jennifer Smalley
If an author is a feminist, does it mean that their writing is automatically regarded as feminist literature? Does nothing but the feminist message radiate from their being? Are they capable of bringing anything less than that into the world? Feminist writers write feminist writings. But it is not always the cut and dry “How To Be A Feminist Handbook 101” type of book. No, sometimes it can touch on problems like sex trafficking and involve a female character’s near constant abuse, as seen in the ...more
Emily May

Shelves: read-in-2015
Haunting and devastating.
Mia Prasetya
Apr 25, 2010 Mia Prasetya rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking, yet uplifting. Kesan yang saya dapat dari buku ini. Sejak pertama kali melihat buku ini di toko buku, I know I'm gonna love this book.

Berkisan tentang Laksmi, gadis kecil dari Nepal berusia 13 tahun yang dijual oleh ayah tirinya sendiri ke rumah bordil. keluguan, kenaifan seorang anak kecil terpampang dengan jelas di buku ini, karena kisah ini dikisahkan dari sudut pandang si Laksmi sendiri.

Buku setebal 310 halaman saya selesaikan dengan semalam karena ternyata isinya cukup ringan
Angie
May 30, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Akaii
This book was really moving. A very inspirational story of a young and naïve Nepali girl, Laxmi, sold into sexual slavery in India by her step-father. I loved how real it was. It wasn't just romance and drama many books portray nowadays, it actually told a horrible but true story.I loved the contrast between the beautiful voice telling such a horrendous tale. There were many times I was saddened by the beauty of her words, her loss, and the end, that bit of dialogue, had me in tears. Patricia Mc ...more
Jen

This book is one I am mentally saving for my mother/daughter book club. My daughter is four, so I have some time...but it raises interesting topics, themes, and questions, like:

1. Sex, sex-trafficking, rape and victimization of women (no surprise there)

2. Self-respect

3. the legalization/decriminalization of prostitution/sex-work issue

4. globalization with all its dimples and warts

The book written in a poetic form, but I didn't find it distracting. In fact, I think it managed to create a framewo

Taylor
Mar 05, 2009 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sold

The book I read was Sold by Patricia McCormack. The genre is realistic fiction. The theme of the book is to stay strong and learn to speak up.
The books about a thirteen year old girl named Lakshmi. Her father sells her to be a sex slave because he gambled all his money and is very selfish. Lakshmi doesn’t know she was going to be sold for that reason though, she thought she was going to work as a house maid.She was sent to a house called "the happy house".There she made strong friendships a
Luu
Toto bola príšerná kniha. Ak máte problém s "obsahom" kníh ako Wither, Bumped, XVI alebo také Kvety v podkroví - nečítajte ju. Naozaj, myslím to vážne. Ja som ani pri jednej z tých menovaných kníh ani okom nemihla, a táto kniha bola pre mňa tvrdá káva, kde som bola až zhnusená.

Lakshmi je zo zapadlej horskej dedinky z Nepálu. Keď má 13 rokov, úrodu im zničí monzún, rodina nemá peniaze, a nevlastný otec Lakshmi predá do Indie do bordelu. A tu musí dievča za - prepočítala som si to! - 50 centov (30
Rebecca
Christine Jensen
Approximate Interest Level/Reading Level: High School (GLE 4.8)

Format: Verse Novel

Awards: ALA Best Books for Young Adults (2007), National Book Award Honor for Young People's Literature (2006), Notable Social Studies Trade Books (2007), Ten Best Books for Young Adults (2007)

Plagued by drought then flood, a struggling family’s livelihood along with 13 year old Lakshmi’s future is lost. Leaving her mother and the only home she has even known in the Himalayas of Nepal, Lakshmi is sold by her stepfa
Jabiz Raisdana
Wow. This books was intense. And infuriating and unjust and powerful and sad and painful, but necessary. Part of me was thinking that perhaps the graphic nature of the abuse Lakshimi faces is not appropriate for MS readers, but then I remembered the hundreds of thousands of young girls who must face this brutality every year. We owe it to them to at least read their stories and hopefully work toward a more just and equal society for girls and women worldwide, but especially in developing countri ...more
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
This book can be summarized in a few words. SIMPLY SAD, BUT A REALITY FOR SOME. Human trafficking is such a sad crime. It is also sometimes difficult to prosecute because of all the moving elements in these cases and the revolving people involved. This story was a sad one. I found this book in the young adult section of the bookstore but after reading it I don't think it is for young adults although the chapters are very short. I was able to read this in 1 day during breaks and lunch time from w ...more
Mckinsey
Oct 20, 2008 Mckinsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all girls and maybe some guys
Recommended to Mckinsey by: Lauren Hensley
Shelves: book-club
I must say that at the beginning i loved this book and then towards the middle or when you got to the juicy part of the book i decided that i did not like it. i thought that it is too disturbing and akward to read but after a while i became addicted i felt her emotions as i read through this book and i must say that i was sad when i finished it. i must say that i can't really relate to her on the same levels but i can say that i would rather die a thousand deaths than to ever and i repaet ever ...more
Kristina
Sep 16, 2016 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book absolutely broke my heart. It is well written; it brings awareness to an issue that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention. But truly, it will take your heart out, stomp on it, let it beat a little more, and stomp on it again. But that said, it educates you on the issue it presents.
Hannah
Apparently this has a film adaptation, but I've never seen it.

This is another MG/YA book told in free verse, and it's about a 13-year old Nepali girl sold to a brothel.

I think free verse is an appropriate choice for the audience: it slows down the reader just enough to really think about what is being said between the lines and the implications of what is happening just off the page.

I taught middle school last year, and you'd never be allowed to bring books like this into the classroom if ther
James
Dec 08, 2016 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You wont be the same person after reading this.
A heartbreaking story.
"It doesn't matter, of course. Because no one will ever want me now."
Beautifully written in free verse on a such a dark topic. I would recommend as a starting point if you ever want to read about human trafficking, particularly about the Indian subcontinent.
Lindsey Daniels
Oct 13, 2010 Lindsey Daniels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Sold is written by Patricia McCorimck and is story telling the life of a young girl sold in to prostitution. This book is catorigized as Memoir. The story takes place in a small town in Nepal revolving around the main character, Lakashmi, a 14 year old girl. Sold is written in script form and a chapter is usually 1 to 3 pages long and typed in poem form. I would recommend this book to anyone who is intrested in learning about other cultures or who would like to know how people in other ...more
Jason Jacob
SOLD

1. Sold is a book that tells us a story of a young girl sold into prostitution by her father. Lakshmi lived each day with terrible anguish hoping that she would make it through this sadism domain. Lakshmi sought for a hint of hope, for possibilities, that maybe, just maybe she would escape from this evil place.

2. The book was written in a poetic style and the story was told in free verse that made it easier and more interesting to read. It was written in a vivid language and in a compelling
Only A Book Apart: The Sex Trade, a problem without passport. 1 4 Dec 30, 2016 12:19PM
BEP090T12016: Very Confused as Lakshmi walks into the room for the first time. 5 11 Dec 05, 2016 10:35AM
Only A Book Apart: December 2016 Book 1: Sold by Patricia M. 1 6 Dec 02, 2016 01:51PM
HMSA Reads: Book Review: Sold 1 4 Aug 23, 2016 11:36PM
  • Copper Sun
  • All the Broken Pieces
  • Aleutian Sparrow
  • God Went to Beauty School
  • The First Part Last (Heaven, #2)
  • Ringside, 1925: Views from the Scopes Trial
  • Home of the Brave
  • The Chosen One
  • The Good Braider
  • Chanda's Secrets (Chanda, #1)
  • The Red Pencil
  • Becoming Billie Holiday
  • Touching Snow
  • Crossing Stones
  • True Believer (Make Lemonade, #2)
  • Dark Sons
Patricia McCormick is a journalist and writer. She graduated from Rosemont College in 1978, followed by an M.S. from Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism in 1986 and an M.F.A. from New School University in 1999. Her first novel for teens was Cut, about a young woman who self-injures herself. This was followed by My Brother's Keeper in 2005, about a boy struggling with his brother's ad ...more
More about Patricia McCormick...

“Simply to endure is to triumph.” 91 likes
“If you look hard enough, chaos turns into order the way letters turn into words.” 66 likes