Sold: Kisah Tragis Penjualan Gadis-Gadis Belia di Rumah Bordil
“Sangat mengena…mengharukan. Penulis berhasil menyelaraskan kerasnya kehidupan di sebuah bordil dengan persahabatan yang mengharukan di antara para penghuninya.”
“Sebuah rekaman tak terlupakan tentang perbudakan seks sebagaimana adanya saat ini.”
Setiap tahun, ribuan gadis belia dijual ke dalam jaringan pelacuran di kota-kota besar di s ...more
In the days after the hugging man leaves, I consider myself in the mirror. My plain self, not the self wearing lipstick and eyeliner and a flimsy dress.
Sometimes I see a girl who is growing into womanhood. Other days I see a girl growing old before her time.
It doesn't matter, of course. Because no one will ever want me now.
Lakshmi is thirteen-years-old. She lives a simple, albeit impoverished, existence with with her Ama, infant sibling and gambling-addicted stepfather in a Nepalese ...more
2. I wish people would only write novels in verse if the verse actually served some purpose in the plot or the development of the character, or if the verse was good. In Sold it's simply a weird affectation.
3. The fact brought up as an afterthought in the end notes, that Nepalese women are fighting back by educating young village wom ...more
And then it was over. Meaning I had spent far longer than I had intended to reading, and the book had been finished in two sittings--one on the plane and one in ...more
This author traveled to Nepal and Calcutta for her research, interviewing aid workers and girls who have been rescued from the red-light districts of Calcutta.
The book follows the path of Lakshmi, a thirteen-year-old Nepali girl, as she is sold and makes the journey to India, thinking she is going to be a maid for a rich woman. It's written for ...more
Sold is the story of Lakshmi, a girl from a small village living with her Ama, baby brother and stepfather. Her stepfather sells her for money to pay gambling debts, and she is brought to the city, only to find out that there is no maid job waiting for her. She has been sold into prostitution.
This story was hard to read. Its really difficult to think about a place where a woman can be sold for $300, and purchased for a night for the pr ...more
Berkisan tentang Laksmi, gadis kecil dari Nepal berusia 13 tahun yang dijual oleh ayah tirinya sendiri ke rumah bordil. keluguan, kenaifan seorang anak kecil terpampang dengan jelas di buku ini, karena kisah ini dikisahkan dari sudut pandang si Laksmi sendiri.
Buku setebal 310 halaman saya selesaikan dengan semalam karena ternyata isinya cukup ringan ...more
This book is one I am mentally saving for my mother/daughter book club. My daughter is four, so I have some time...but it raises interesting topics, themes, and questions, like:
1. Sex, sex-trafficking, rape and victimization of women (no surprise there)
3. the legalization/decriminalization of prostitution/sex-work issue
4. globalization with all its dimples and warts
The book written in a poetic form, but I didn't find it distracting. In fact, I think it managed to create a framewo...more
The book I read was Sold by Patricia McCormack. The genre is realistic fiction. The theme of the book is to stay strong and learn to speak up.
The books about a thirteen year old girl named Lakshmi. Her father sells her to be a sex slave because he gambled all his money and is very selfish. Lakshmi doesn’t know she was going to be sold for that reason though, she thought she was going to work as a house maid.She was sent to a house called "the happy house".There she made strong friendships a ...more
Lakshmi je zo zapadlej horskej dedinky z Nepálu. Keď má 13 rokov, úrodu im zničí monzún, rodina nemá peniaze, a nevlastný otec Lakshmi predá do Indie do bordelu. A tu musí dievča za - prepočítala som si to! - 50 centov (30 ...more
Format: Verse Novel
Awards: ALA Best Books for Young Adults (2007), National Book Award Honor for Young People's Literature (2006), Notable Social Studies Trade Books (2007), Ten Best Books for Young Adults (2007)
Plagued by drought then flood, a struggling family’s livelihood along with 13 year old Lakshmi’s future is lost. Leaving her mother and the only home she has even known in the Himalayas of Nepal, Lakshmi is sold by her stepfa ...more
1. Sold is a book that tells us a story of a young girl sold into prostitution by her father. Lakshmi lived each day with terrible anguish hoping that she would make it through this sadism domain. Lakshmi sought for a hint of hope, for possibilities, that maybe, just maybe she would escape from this evil place.
2. The book was written in a poetic style and the story was told in free verse that made it easier and more interesting to read. It was written in a vivid language and in a compelling ...more
Despite this dismal-sounding setting, there are surp ...more
The aftermath of each action can matter greatly. In the book, Sold, a thirteen- year old girl ...more
Patricia McCormick writes in an almost free-verse style, simply giving Lakshmi a voice which breaks the readers heart.
I believe this would be a great book for middle school students, because it is not too graphic, but tells this very real ...more