Start by marking “Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours” as Want to Read:
Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours

Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  824 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Baking with whole-grain flours used to be about making food that was good for you, not food that necessarily tasted good, too. But Kim Boyce truly has reinvented the wheel with this collection of 75 recipes that feature 12 different kinds of whole-grain flours, from amaranth to teff, proving that whole-grain baking is more about incredible flavors and textures than anythin ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Good to the Grain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good to the Grain

Love Soup by Anna ThomasGood Meat by Deborah KrasnerThe Blue Chair Jam Cookbook by Rachel SaundersThe River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallReal Cajun by Donald Link
James Beard Award Cookbooks
8th out of 100 books — 17 voters
Joy, Interrupted by Melissa Miles McCarterThose Who Believe by P.D. WorkmanGod Signs & Dad Stories by Paula Marie PettisSpirit Filled Words by Jessica CagerBailey's Revenge by Allison Bruning
Books on Faith & Family
11th out of 25 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Allyron
This food in this cookbook is so beautifully photographed that I can't flip through without wanting to make one of everything. Since I live in a two person household I'm limited in how often I bake but I have made the oatmeal sandwich bread four times and it turns out so perfect every time that I've stopped buying bread at the store. Last weekend I made the gingersnaps, hoping that they would be similar in taste and texture to the amazingly chewy ginger sparkles that my grandmother used to make ...more
Megan
Things I liked: The book was organized by type of flour, so it was easy to find everything with corn flour, for example, right in one spot. There were also a lot of highly creative combinations.

Things I disliked: I thought this was going to be a book with a lot of 100% whole grain recipes, or something close to it. But most of the recipes had a lot of white flour -- the other flours are used as flavors. While I love the idea of enhancing and using the flavor of various grains, throwing a bunch o
Amanda
I wish there had been more recipes that used only whole grain flour, not a mix of whole grain and all purpose. I still used a couple of the recipes and they came out relatively well substituting whole grain for all purpose. A good selection of recipes using all different types of flours including quinoa flour.
Julie
This book is a great introductory book to cooking with other flours beside the dreaded white flour. At the time I bought this book it was one of the only cookbooks that did this. I have not checked to see if there are now other books. Recipes include figgy buckwheat scones, strawberry barley scones, quinoa and beet pancakes, graham crackers using teff. Since buying this book I eat mainly vegan with no added oil. If I could figure out how to adjust the recipes for this it would be great, but baki ...more
Leila T.
I just got this out from the library today, and less than an hour later I'm shouting to my husband in the next room, "I might actually have to buy this one!"

The layout is excellent: clear, straightforward; with all useful information like Start This The Day Before right at the beginning of the recipe.

The pages of background on each grain look like cosy bedtime reading. In a recipe book!

The photographs are succulent, exquisite, fragrant. Worth buying for looking at the baked goods alone.

There are
Judy
I like the approach of this book, which was written by a former pastry chef who is home with her kids right now. SHe is concerned about health and whole grains, but her priority is flavor. She believes you can have both, but does not sacrifice everything for the "healthiest" recipe - she does use butter and sugar, but she also writes glowingly about the taste that each kind of flour can ADD.

The chapters are by type of flour, so that you can experiment with different ways to use it and not end u
Kimber
I've only tried a few recipes thus far, but they were delicious. Though the products aren't whole grain (which is why I gave it 4 instead of 5), they do increase the amount of whole grain in baked goods while still making a please product.
Stacy
A former pastry chef at LA's Spago (a restaurant by Wolfgang Puck), Boyce describes the history and use of each grain, then offers various recipes to complement their subtleties. Wheat is only the beginning here - she details all kinds of flours including less common, less known varieties such as kamut, amaranth, spelt, and teff. She offers insights such as this: "With a scent that is strangely reminiscent of ripe apricots, barley flour is almost tart." Who knew?!

I'm just getting started cooking
Niki
I received this cookbook as a gift. Its a very interesting cookbook and I hope to explore more various types of flours as a result of it.
Ellen Bell
I read this book because I enjoy baking bread, and was hoping for some good whole-grain recipes. What I found was a compilation of baking recipes for all kinds of things: pastries, cookies, muffins, etc. In the whole book, there was only one yeasted whole grain bread recipe (the kind that I was looking for). In spite of that, I was intrigued by Kim Boyce's exploration of baking with whole grains, and I did jot down a number of the recipes to try later. My only critique would be that many of the ...more
Dana
Lovely photos by Quentin Bacon, but I don't like that some of the recipes do not have photos of the completed item. I like to see what I am making.

Other than that, I may not actually bake with any of these flours, since we don't buy them, and my husband doesn't like the taste. BUT, I did like the inspiration in this book. It is certainly not just the same flavours as other books.

I enjoyed the baking knowledge and tips, interspersed with a little bit of her life.

Verdict: It will take me a whil
Emily
Feb 15, 2013 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every eater and every health-conscious cook.
Recommended to Emily by: my sister-in-law, Laura
You thought the cover made you salivate? Just wait 'til you flip through the book's interior photos and come across the shot of our favorite recipe so far: pear and buckwheat pancakes with golden honey butter syrup. Shluuup! Aaaah.

I've been daydreaming all week about the night we ate those two Thursdays ago. Is a two week space a long enough time to make a repeat in the dinner menu? Definitely!

I can't wait to try more of these recipes! Thank you, Angel Laura, for gifting us this gem!
Lisa
Jul 19, 2010 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
I've read through this as i got it and love it. I had a little tear in my eye when i got to the end and realized there were no more pages.

I reserve the last star for when I start cooking from it!! But so far it looks like one I will return to again and again. I love that the chapters are arranged by grain/flour type. So there's a chapter on teff. A seperate one for quinoa, etc. This makes it very easy to buy a bag of a flour to experiment with and get baking!!
Stephanie
Practical and relaxed time - use what you have, experiment, don't worry about having a food scale. And things look SO DELICIOUS. Lots to try, though I'm in need of a great deal of practice. I highly recommend reading the introductory stuff at the front of the book; it's short but really useful. And she has recipes for whole wheat flour and oat flour, in addition to more esoteric ones, so people wary of "weird" foods can dip their toes in too.
Rachel
Jun 09, 2010 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Love, love, love. I'm bummed I have to bring it back to the library - please note, my birthday is in October and this is a big fat WANT.

I read food blogs like it's my job, and FYI this book has been making the rounds in some trustworthy and enviable circles. So if you have any doubts about buying / can't find a copy at the library it should be pretty easy to find some of the recipes online.
Aja Marsh
3.5 - overall i thought this was good, but i wish her desire to use whole grains was better matched with alternative sweeteners, dairy, and fats-- she already says she uses organic eggs and high quality dairy. ah well, she is a traditional pastry chef at heart, and i could certainly convert many of these to vegan. it's beautifully photographed, and i enjoyed the voice it was written in.
Jen
Nov 30, 2014 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: cuisine
I am in love with this cookbook, every recipe I have tried has been a success. She does a lot of grain mixing rather than sticking to one grain in a recipe, which could get tiresome and may be difficult to find the more obscure varieties depending on your location, but they work, and are (so far as I can tell) simple + straightforward.

Plus it's gorgeous and reads well.
Candy
This had to go back to the library before I was finished with it, so I didn't cook anything out of it. It actually overwhelmed me a little bit- I think the author is a little bit more picky than the average home cook. I have a degree in Home Economics and it was a little much even with that background! But I might get it again later and try those gingersnaps- they looked good!
Mandy
I bought spelt just for this cookbook but now it's too hot outside to bake. Maybe it will cool down so I can make some spelt scones. Good for people with a wheat allergy or someone just wanting to try something new. Also, giant eagle does not carry buckwheat(or any other grain in this book actually, but buckwheat bothers me doubly). Giant Eagle, you let me down.
Mary
A beautiful cookbook! Sadly I'll be returning it to the library and not adding it to my wish list, because a lot of the grain flours in here are not even remotely available without having to go on a serious hunt. Not my style. But, count me in with this book once things like amaranth four, spelt flour, kamut flour etc. ARE readily available.
Emily
The few recipes I've done have all been very tasty. It's my go-to when I want to bake, but want to make it a tad healthier. Only downside is many of the recipes call for flours and grains that aren't often on-hand, so it's definitely more of a planned baking cookbook than a chocolate-chip-cookie-craving-right-now kind of cookbook.
Michelle
Lovely book, beautifully photographed and written. Not always really easy recipes for a home baker, though I did glean a few. (Wish there were nutrition info.) No way am I ever going to convince my guys to eat pink beet pancakes. LOL But I loved the info and experience with baking with the different grains and flours.
Sara
I devoured this book. It makes great reading. Now I've only made one recipe from it so I may have to amend my review once I've tried more. The whole wheat chocolate chip cookies, though, were the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever made or eaten. So, Boyce is off to a good start in my opinion.
Lana
Absolutely wonderful book. The author uses the various flours for different flavors, and the results are fantastic. I've made several recipes from it and they were all amazing. The rhubarb tarts on the cover are to die for - the filling is out of this world! I highly recommend it.
Tisha
As much as I really wanted to love this book, I had it for a month or more and never once was I tempted to make anything out of it. It has a nicely written preface and gorgeous pictures, not to mention great explanations of all the different flours.
Jenny
This is an amazing book. Everything looks scrumptious and the two recipes I've tried so far have come out really well. The book is organized by type of flour (whole wheat, oat, rye, barley, etc.), so you can buy and experiment with one kind at a time.
NaDell
This book had so many great recipes and descriptions of what the differences between the grains are and told how she used each grain a different way. It was nice to read, but I can't see myself actually using any of the recipes day to day.
Nicole
I haven't made any of the recipes but there were a couple of dozen that I marked as being interesting enough to try and the book was a good and interesting read about baking with unusual grains like amaranth, quinoa, and teff, among others.
Michele
Excellent selection of recipes to give you an idea of how different grain flours - and the whole grain as well - can be used in baking and cooking. Great explanations of how they act in baking due to different gluten levels.
Eling
excellent resource/information on grains & pantry-stocking, and chock-full of recipes that I actually really want to try. this is definitely one that I'm adding to my list of cookbooks to stock my kitchen library with.
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • Tartine Bread
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Whole-Grain Mornings: New Breakfast Recipes to Span the Seasons
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads
  • Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home