Flame and Shadow

Flame and Shadow

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The Shelf2Life Literature and Fiction Collection is a unique set of short stories, poems and novels from the late 19th to early 20th centuries. From tales of love, life and heartbreaking loss to humorous stories of ghost encounters, these volumes captivate the imaginations of readers young and old. Included in this collection are a variety of dramatic and spirited poems th...more
Paperback, Large Print, 162 pages
Published October 27th 2009 by BCR (Bibliographical Center for Research) (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Flame and Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flame and Shadow

Lisa M.
I like free-verse poetry. This collection made me reconsider form. I enjoyed the pace of these poems. I read most of them aloud after my first read. I even enjoyed the rhyming! The musicality of the form was pleasing, and it showed a true control of language. I will not shy away from form again. But appreciation makes a critic. While I enjoyed most of Teasdale’s format choices, her lines could be too long at times. It threw off the rhythm. I also felt she relied on slant rhyme too much. The cont...more
Abbyjay
My first encounter with sara teasdale, a very underrated poet In my opinion, was with the poem "moonlight"
"The waves break fold on jewelled fold,
But beauty itself is fugitive,
It will not hurt me when I am old. "
and I fell in love.
it took me 2 years to read anything by her though, and i do regret wasting that time.
if i were to look at poetry in the broad sense, in the sort of critical assement I dont think i would say miss teasdale
brought something utterly unique and groundbreaking but i think...more
Amanda
Number three. My heart broke for her sadness and pain in this book so much. I wanted to reach through the ink and the fibers, through time, to stroke her fingers or her cheek, to bring her sunshine and bade her to see the light we always see shining through her eyes and faith even in the mentions of pain. So, so beautiful the whole way.
Gene
I would never have touched this book had it not been for Ray Bradbury. He included the poem, There Will Come Soft Rains, which intrigued me. It ultimately led me to finding this work by Sara Teasdale.

Generally, I liked her poems. They were written in the early part of the 20th century, very near World War I. It was really cool to see the influence of the times touch the various poems within this work.

If her work is reflective of her personality, Sara was so very lonely at times, sick at other ti...more
Sharayu Gangurde
I fell in love with Sara Teasdale when I first read 'Winter Stars'.

From windows in my father’s house,
Dreaming my dreams on winter nights,
I watched Orion as a girl
Above another city’s lights.

I possess a 1920 Macmillan edition of this book. I am very particular about old editions and the moment I laid my eyes on the cover, I was overjoyed and hyper-excited!
She expresses emotions in such a delicate and lyrical manner. 'Gray Eyes' also has me completely mesmerized. All her poems have that effect...more
Nikki
Sara Teasdale's poetry is, in general, lovely. Her style doesn't seem to vary much from poem to poem, or, indeed, from collection to collection. That sort of spoils it. The use of imagery is lovely, though, and each of her poems read alone is beautiful.
Felicia
I hate to say it, but her poems start to run together after a while. Still the imagery is beautiful and the prose is heartfelt.
Sarah added it
Aug 19, 2014
Jillian Kreth
Jillian Kreth marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Aracely Medina
Aracely Medina marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Kim
Kim added it
May 31, 2014
Kim Reinhard
Kim Reinhard marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
JS
JS marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Thomasin
Thomasin marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Kaleena
Kaleena marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sara Teasdale was an American lyrical poet. She was born Sara Trevor Teasdale in St. Louis, Missouri, and after her marriage in 1914 she went by the name Sara Teasdale Filsinger.

Teasdale's first poem was published in Reedy's Mirror, a local newspaper, in 1907. Her first collection of poems, Sonnets to Duse and Other Poems, was published that same year.

Teasdale's second collection of poems, Helen...more
More about Sara Teasdale...
The Collected Poems Love Songs Rivers to the Sea Helen of Troy and Other Poems Dark of the Moon

“Down the hill I went, and then,
I forgot the ways of men,
For night-scents, heady and damp and cool
Wakened ecstasy ”
15 likes
“If I must go to heaven's end
Climbing the ages like a stair
Be near me and forever bend
With the same eyes above me there;
Time will fly past us like leaves flying,
We shall not heed, for we shall be
Beyond living, beyond dying,
Knowing and known unchangeably.”
4 likes