Start by marking “Flame and Shadow” as Want to Read:
Flame and Shadow

Flame and Shadow

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The Shelf2Life Literature and Fiction Collection is a unique set of short stories, poems and novels from the late 19th to early 20th centuries. From tales of love, life and heartbreaking loss to humorous stories of ghost encounters, these volumes captivate the imaginations of readers young and old. Included in this collection are a variety of dramatic and spirited poems th ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 162 pages
Published October 27th 2009 by BCR (Bibliographical Center for Research) (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Flame and Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flame and Shadow

Abeer
Jul 05, 2015 Abeer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, america
My first encounter with sara teasdale, a very underrated poet In my opinion, was with the poem "moonlight"
"The waves break fold on jewelled fold,
But beauty itself is fugitive,
It will not hurt me when I am old. "
and I fell in love.
it took me 2 years to read anything by her though, and i do regret wasting that time.
if i were to look at poetry in the broad sense, in the sort of critical assement I dont think i would say miss teasdale
brought something utterly unique and groundbreaking but i think
Amanda
Jun 20, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Number three. My heart broke for her sadness and pain in this book so much. I wanted to reach through the ink and the fibers, through time, to stroke her fingers or her cheek, to bring her sunshine and bade her to see the light we always see shining through her eyes and faith even in the mentions of pain. So, so beautiful the whole way.
Lisa M.
Sep 28, 2012 Lisa M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5252, poetry
I like free-verse poetry. This collection made me reconsider form. I enjoyed the pace of these poems. I read most of them aloud after my first read. I even enjoyed the rhyming! The musicality of the form was pleasing, and it showed a true control of language. I will not shy away from form again. But appreciation makes a critic. While I enjoyed most of Teasdale’s format choices, her lines could be too long at times. It threw off the rhythm. I also felt she relied on slant rhyme too much. The cont ...more
Gene
Jan 22, 2013 Gene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry
I would never have touched this book had it not been for Ray Bradbury. He included the poem, There Will Come Soft Rains, which intrigued me. It ultimately led me to finding this work by Sara Teasdale.

Generally, I liked her poems. They were written in the early part of the 20th century, very near World War I. It was really cool to see the influence of the times touch the various poems within this work.

If her work is reflective of her personality, Sara was so very lonely at times, sick at other ti
Sharayu Gangurde
Feb 17, 2016 Sharayu Gangurde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I fell in love with Sara Teasdale when I first read 'Winter Stars'.

From windows in my father’s house,
Dreaming my dreams on winter nights,
I watched Orion as a girl
Above another city’s lights.

I possess a 1920 Macmillan edition of this book. I am very particular about old editions and the moment I laid my eyes on the cover, I was overjoyed and hyper-excited!
She expresses emotions in such a delicate and lyrical manner. 'Gray Eyes' also has me completely mesmerized. All her poems have that effect
tysephine
Sep 25, 2014 tysephine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I can see why Sara Teasdale was so popular in her time. Her poems run the gamut from light and romance-y to dark and full of death. It's chilling when you realize how many of her poems mention death, considering she committed suicide in 1933.
Anne
Jan 08, 2015 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is one of the later volumes of Sara Teasdale' s beautiful lyric poetry. Sadly, her tormented soul is apparent in several of the works.
Jenn Alter
May 04, 2016 Jenn Alter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful poems from a Saint Louis born poet.
Dan Schindel
Apr 02, 2015 Dan Schindel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like a eulogy for everything
Nikki
Jul 02, 2008 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Sara Teasdale's poetry is, in general, lovely. Her style doesn't seem to vary much from poem to poem, or, indeed, from collection to collection. That sort of spoils it. The use of imagery is lovely, though, and each of her poems read alone is beautiful.
Felicia
Apr 08, 2010 Felicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I hate to say it, but her poems start to run together after a while. Still the imagery is beautiful and the prose is heartfelt.
Fernando
Fernando marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Char Evanson
Char Evanson marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Kira Hunt
Kira Hunt marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Melyssa
Melyssa marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Emma Hanlin
Emma Hanlin rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Lillian O'phean
Lillian O'phean marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Maxfield
Maxfield marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Luke Rossouw
Luke Rossouw marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Monica Marie
Monica Marie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Tina
Tina is currently reading it
May 29, 2016
Dg Noc
Dg Noc marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Nynshari
Nynshari rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Beth Gibson
Beth Gibson rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
  • Das Käthchen von Heilbronn
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • Fatal Interview: Sonnets
  • Millenium Hall
  • Selected Poems
  • Home/Birth: A Poemic
  • Schloß Gripsholm
  • The Collected Poems of Rudyard Kipling
  • Rumi: Hidden Music
  • A Romance of Two Worlds (Dodo Press)
  • Bridge to the Soul: Journeys Into the Music and Silence of the Heart
  • Spring Essence: The Poetry of Hô Xuân Huong
  • Miss or Mrs.?
  • Your Native Land, Your Life
  • Five T'Ang Poets
  • Sea Garden
  • I Explain a Few Things: Selected Poems
  • One Hundred Leaves: A new annotated translation of the Hyakunin Isshu
Sara Teasdale was an American lyrical poet. She was born Sara Trevor Teasdale in St. Louis, Missouri, and after her marriage in 1914 she went by the name Sara Teasdale Filsinger.

Teasdale's first poem was published in Reedy's Mirror, a local newspaper, in 1907. Her first collection of poems, Sonnets to Duse and Other Poems, was published that same year.

Teasdale's second collection of poems, Helen
More about Sara Teasdale...

There Will Come Soft Rains

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pool singing at night,
And wild plum-trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
Would scarcely know that we were gone.”
92 likes
“Down the hill I went, and then,
I forgot the ways of men,
For night-scents, heady and damp and cool
Wakened ecstasy ”