Start by marking “The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)” as Want to Read:
The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)

The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  672 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Everyone’s favorite time-travelers are changing their styles! The Time Warp Trio series now features a brand-new, eye-catching design, sure to appeal to longtime fans, and those new to Jon Scieszka’s wacky brand of humor. ...more
Published April 26th 2004 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy

Evelyn Tapia
The story begins with Fred, Sam, and Joe watching a television serious about cowboys. Thanks to Sam they end up traveling back in time to 1868. The only way to return home is by finding the magical book called, “The Book.” In their journey in the Wild West they meet Custer, Bob, Bull Bear, Black Kettle, and medicine chief. Towards the end they find “The Book.” However, they find themselves in a big dilemma when they’re in between the battle of Custer and the Seventh Calvary. Will they ever figur ...more
Christina
In the third installment of the Time Warp Trio series, Joe, Sam and Fred are transported back to the Wild West. How cool is that? They get to be cowboys! Not so fast. The Wild West stinks- literally. The food is awful. The cattle are trying to stampede them and the Indians are trying to scalp them. I guess the Wild West is actually not that much fun. The boys must find The Book if they are going to make it back to their home with their scalps.

Again, another entertaining and quick read. While my
The beginning of the book has one of the boys speaking out about the horrible stereotyping of "Indians" in a show they are watching, then the book goes on to make the very same mistakes for the Natives in the story. Even if they did allow for some of the Indians to be nice guys, they still had a group attempt to scalp the boys. We were going to read through the collection as a family, but there is no way I would read this one to my kids.
lprater
Transitional book : When three boys go back in time using a book and a rhyme, the adventures begin. First, the boys manage to survive a stampede and then meet up with some cowboys. I don't think the dinner of beans, bacon and biscuits went over too well with them, but by the time they had finished dinner, the boys knew what year it was. Of course before the story is over, the boys manage to survive a ride in a riverbed through a storm, meet up with some Native Americans and Custer. This book has ...more
Leon White
What i dislike about the book is why fred be's so mean,for example on pg3 he snacthes the remote just to wacth someting eles.also another example is when joe dint want to give up the magic book to sam he wanted to get the money instead of sam getting them out of there. Antony would like this book because it has lots of adventures and and dangerous roots to life or death. One challenge of this book was way certain characters talk,i really dint know who was talking at a certain time in the book. i ...more
Cereus
Actually probably my favorite so far in my speed re-read. I think this one had the most jokes that I didn't really get when I was a kid because I hadn't seen many old cowboy movies or Blazing Saddles or anything. But there's definitely references there and actually a very kid-friendly discussion of racism and the whole attack against the Native Americans thing.
Michele
This was better due to heavier historical content - always in an amusing presentation!
Twyla
Kind of a cute read, interesting premise. I want a book like that.
Amber
After teaching on cowboys and miners, I wanted to see what this book was all about. This book was actually interesting to read and would be a good fiction book for children to read if they wanted to see the fiction side of the history. It included some accurate information and it also had some information that was not completely accurate. I think that if a child wanted to read but did not want to read the non- historical books or the historical fiction books, this could maybe be a good lead into ...more
A Kaiser
Cute. For young readers.
Dolly
Aug 10, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
While our girls aren't big fans of stories about cowboys and Indians, this was an interesting edition in the Time Warp Trio series. It has a lot of action and describes a little bit about the experiences of both groups living in the mid-1800s. It also introduces Custer and his Seventh Calvary, although you don't see much of them but a wild, shooting charge. We've really enjoyed the stories we've read in this series and will look for more.
Steve
Read this to Stephen and Maya. This series of books seems to have been written with the audience of young boy readers in mind but it seemed much more entertaining to Alex (who listened in everyone once in a while while typing her novel) and myself than to Maya and Stephen. I think the two of think thought it was just weird. Moving on to reading them Wrinkle in Time - which strangely I haven't read to any of the kids yet.
Amanda
I was not a huge fan of this book. It was interesting enough to keep you reading but not my type of book.

In this book three boys (I don't recall their names) are watching a t.v. western movie. Then one of the boys uncle gave him a magic book so the boys wish that they were in the wild west. So they have an adventure from there.

I recommend this book for a younger boy's, about 6 or 7.
Kristine Pratt
Finally! No flashback at the beginning!

I like this series. I like the adventures, I like how they continue to defy death - and come up with crazy ways to keep their skins intact. And can't wait for the next. This was a fun - heading back to the old west and dealing with both cowboys and Indians. And debunking TV cowboys all at the same time.

A good read. One I would recommend.
Kathy
Oct 05, 2007 Kathy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boys
Another time warp trio adventure, the boys travel back to the Chisolm trail where they meet cowboys (who aren't as fun or noble as they thought), herd cows (more dirty and hard work than they thought), and meet some Indians (who argue, do and know more than just want to scalp them) before managing to get back home. Good beginning chapter book for boys.
Children's Literature
Can you imagine being thrown back into the wild, wild West?! What if there were cowboys with nasty food, cattle who tried to crush you, and Indians who couldn’t decide whether or not to kill you? Sam, Fred, and Joe find themselves on a cattle drive in 1868, and they find out that Indians make terrible enemies, but they also make excellent friends.
Rhiannon
OK, these books are enjoyable, but I do have one major beef. I've read three books so far and there have been two (extremely minor) female characters - Joe's Mom, and Guinevere. Not only do they have a combined amount of maybe five pages of "screen time," they are both introduced in the first book. Why is history a lady-free zone here?
Samantha Weatherford
This is a transitional chapter book that is not overwhelming for 3rd-6th graders. Good option for boys seeking appropriate literature. This particular adventure takes the boys back to the old west, and includes a couple of tidbits about history and the old west within it. Full of adventure and comedy. Good series for boys 3rd-6th grade.
Ubalstecha
More silliness from John Scieszka and Lane Smith, this time with our three heroes transported to the Old West, where they find out things aren't exactly like they are portrayed on TV.
Rebecca
This series is a good book for young readers who are ready to transition into chapter books. Boys will especially like the action and adventure.
Andrea Wilkinson
This is a fun, easy series by Jon Scieszka where three boys go back in time. In this one they go back to the wild, wild west and have adventures.
Katherine
I read this to my kids and they enjoyed it. It is a time-travel book about boys who go back to 1868 and see what real cowboys and Indians were like.
Christen Lancaster
This book surprised me, It was a really neat story about time travel but there was also historical fact.
Caedy  Eries
---Review Pending---

Forgot that we'd finished this one before I took it back to the library.
Caren
This time they go back to Custer's time.
Definitely don't have to read these in order.
Kennith
Oct 27, 2010 Kennith is currently reading it
Recommends it for: people into cowboys
Recommended to Kennith by: my friend
well for now my favorit part was them all bulls came and sam waved sock for nothing.
Carolyn
AR 3.8 -- 1.0

Time Warp Trio #3
The guys warp back to being "cowboys".
Acton
you can blame the book all you want its still giong to happen
John
Jan 08, 2011 John is currently reading it
i just started today.i am allready on chapter three!
Mikail
the boys are sent back in time with cowboys and indians
  • The Dragonslayers Apprentice
  • The Dragons Are Singing Tonight
  • The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Monster Movie (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #8)
  • City in the Clouds (The Secrets Of Droon, #4)
  • The Toothpaste Millionaire
  • How to Raise and Keep a Dragon
  • Stink and the World's Worst Super-Stinky Sneakers (Stink, #3)
  • How to Be Cool in the Third Grade
  • The Malted Falcon: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • Mr. Hynde Is Out of His Mind! (My Weird School, #6)
  • Giants Don't Go Snowboarding (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #33)
  • Fish Face (The Kids of the Polk Street School, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Cracks the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #24)
  • Voluspa: A Magical World
Jon Scieszka is a writer and teacher. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and two children. Occasionally he has been known to howl at the full moon. --from the dust jacket of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs"

Jon Scieszka is also the author of the best-selling ALA Notable Book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, as well as Knights of the Kitchen Table, and The Not-So-Jolly Roger
More about Jon Scieszka...

Time Warp Trio (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)
  • Your Mother Was a Neanderthal
  • 2095 (Time Warp Trio, #5)
  • Tut, Tut (Time Warp Trio, #6)
  • Summer Reading is Killing Me! (Time Warp Trio #7)
  • It's All Greek to Me
  • See You Later, Gladiator
  • Sam Samurai (Time Warp Trio, #10)
  • Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge? (Time Warp Trio #11)
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales Math Curse The Frog Prince, Continued Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing up Scieszka