Start by marking “The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)” as Want to Read:
The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)

The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)

Everyone’s favorite time-travelers are changing their styles!  The Time Warp Trio series now features a brand-new, eye-catching design, sure to appeal to longtime fans, and those new to Jon Scieszka’s wacky brand of humor.
Published April 26th 2004 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy

Jul 25, 2015 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
The beginning of the book has one of the boys speaking out about the horrible stereotyping of "Indians" in a show they are watching, then the book goes on to make the very same mistakes for the Natives in the story. Even if they did allow for some of the Indians to be nice guys, they still had a group attempt to scalp the boys. We were going to read through the collection as a family, but there is no way I would read this one to my kids.
Rhiannon
OK, these books are enjoyable, but I do have one major beef. I've read three books so far and there have been two (extremely minor) female characters - Joe's Mom, and Guinevere. Not only do they have a combined amount of maybe five pages of "screen time," they are both introduced in the first book. Why is history a lady-free zone here?
Kelli
Jan 08, 2016 Kelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, school-library
I have had many people comment on my goal of 100 books to read this year, especially since I am finishing my masters and will be trying to find a job all in the first six months of the year. My response is generally always the same. I am a firm believer that you have to make time every day to read; even if it is only for five minutes. Additionally, as a teacher, I need to read the books that I am either offering to my students or that I know my students are reading. What use am I if I have no kn ...more
Christina
Feb 26, 2013 Christina rated it liked it
In the third installment of the Time Warp Trio series, Joe, Sam and Fred are transported back to the Wild West. How cool is that? They get to be cowboys! Not so fast. The Wild West stinks- literally. The food is awful. The cattle are trying to stampede them and the Indians are trying to scalp them. I guess the Wild West is actually not that much fun. The boys must find The Book if they are going to make it back to their home with their scalps.

Again, another entertaining and quick read. While my
lprater
Nov 27, 2011 lprater rated it liked it
Transitional book : When three boys go back in time using a book and a rhyme, the adventures begin. First, the boys manage to survive a stampede and then meet up with some cowboys. I don't think the dinner of beans, bacon and biscuits went over too well with them, but by the time they had finished dinner, the boys knew what year it was. Of course before the story is over, the boys manage to survive a ride in a riverbed through a storm, meet up with some Native Americans and Custer. This book has ...more
Leon White
Jul 31, 2012 Leon White rated it it was amazing
What i dislike about the book is why fred be's so mean,for example on pg3 he snacthes the remote just to wacth someting eles.also another example is when joe dint want to give up the magic book to sam he wanted to get the money instead of sam getting them out of there. Antony would like this book because it has lots of adventures and and dangerous roots to life or death. One challenge of this book was way certain characters talk,i really dint know who was talking at a certain time in the book. i ...more
Evelyn Tapia
Apr 26, 2014 Evelyn Tapia rated it liked it
The story begins with Fred, Sam, and Joe watching a television serious about cowboys. Thanks to Sam they end up traveling back in time to 1868. The only way to return home is by finding the magical book called, “The Book.” In their journey in the Wild West they meet Custer, Bob, Bull Bear, Black Kettle, and medicine chief. Towards the end they find “The Book.” However, they find themselves in a big dilemma when they’re in between the battle of Custer and the Seventh Calvary. Will they ever figur ...more
Kayla Lloyd
Nov 30, 2016 Kayla Lloyd rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of three boys who time travel through a magician book that was given to Joe on his birthday. After watching a TV show about Cowboy Bob and the Rescue Team, Joe and Fred how life would be like during that time. Reluctantly, Sam did not want to find out at all, but by teasing Joe about his magician book, he actually said the spell that sent the boys traveling all the way back to 1868. The boys went on an adventure from almost getting crushed by a herd of cows, getting kid ...more
Dolly
Feb 26, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
While our girls aren't big fans of stories about cowboys and Indians, this was an interesting edition in the Time Warp Trio series. It has a lot of action and describes a little bit about the experiences of both groups living in the mid-1800s. It also introduces Custer and his Seventh Calvary, although you don't see much of them but a wild, shooting charge. We've really enjoyed the stories we've read in this series and will look for more.
Amber
Nov 03, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it
After teaching on cowboys and miners, I wanted to see what this book was all about. This book was actually interesting to read and would be a good fiction book for children to read if they wanted to see the fiction side of the history. It included some accurate information and it also had some information that was not completely accurate. I think that if a child wanted to read but did not want to read the non- historical books or the historical fiction books, this could maybe be a good lead into ...more
Nick
Dec 14, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it
I gave this book a 4 out of five because it was easy and it is a good book to use on audible. Some things about this book is that there three boys and they go back in time to the western time. So one of the boys make a fake spell and the book teleports them to the spell they said but he dissent know that was the real spell he made it up. And I recommend this book because it is a short book to read or listen to and it is a book to start reading.
Steve
Oct 16, 2010 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-kids
Read this to Stephen and Maya. This series of books seems to have been written with the audience of young boy readers in mind but it seemed much more entertaining to Alex (who listened in everyone once in a while while typing her novel) and myself than to Maya and Stephen. I think the two of think thought it was just weird. Moving on to reading them Wrinkle in Time - which strangely I haven't read to any of the kids yet.
Amanda
I was not a huge fan of this book. It was interesting enough to keep you reading but not my type of book.

In this book three boys (I don't recall their names) are watching a t.v. western movie. Then one of the boys uncle gave him a magic book so the boys wish that they were in the wild west. So they have an adventure from there.

I recommend this book for a younger boy's, about 6 or 7.
Children's Literature
Can you imagine being thrown back into the wild, wild West?! What if there were cowboys with nasty food, cattle who tried to crush you, and Indians who couldn’t decide whether or not to kill you? Sam, Fred, and Joe find themselves on a cattle drive in 1868, and they find out that Indians make terrible enemies, but they also make excellent friends.
Samantha Weatherford
This is a transitional chapter book that is not overwhelming for 3rd-6th graders. Good option for boys seeking appropriate literature. This particular adventure takes the boys back to the old west, and includes a couple of tidbits about history and the old west within it. Full of adventure and comedy. Good series for boys 3rd-6th grade.
Bea Elwood
Apr 24, 2016 Bea Elwood rated it liked it
Shelves: sixth-grade
Don't let the fact that these books are short (only 70 to 80 pages) fool you. There is some great reading to be had. Most likely best suited for those reluctant but strong readers (you know the ones who can read well but find reading boring...) I'm whipping through the series and am thinking this would serve as a good future writing prompt too.
K.F.
Jun 23, 2015 K.F. rated it really liked it
Actually probably my favorite so far in my speed re-read. I think this one had the most jokes that I didn't really get when I was a kid because I hadn't seen many old cowboy movies or Blazing Saddles or anything. But there's definitely references there and actually a very kid-friendly discussion of racism and the whole attack against the Native Americans thing.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 03, 2012 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, chapter-book
Finally! No flashback at the beginning!

I like this series. I like the adventures, I like how they continue to defy death - and come up with crazy ways to keep their skins intact. And can't wait for the next. This was a fun - heading back to the old west and dealing with both cowboys and Indians. And debunking TV cowboys all at the same time.

A good read. One I would recommend.
Christen Lancaster
Dec 03, 2013 Christen Lancaster rated it it was amazing
This book surprised me, It was a really neat story about time travel but there was also historical fact.
Andrea Wilkinson
This is a fun, easy series by Jon Scieszka where three boys go back in time. In this one they go back to the wild, wild west and have adventures.
Michele
Nov 13, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it
This was better due to heavier historical content - always in an amusing presentation!
Maximilian Lee
Dec 27, 2016 Maximilian Lee rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it was very funny. I also liked this book because I like lassows.
Rebecca
Jul 15, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: ls5360
This series is a good book for young readers who are ready to transition into chapter books. Boys will especially like the action and adventure.
Mikail
Feb 20, 2009 Mikail rated it it was amazing
the boys are sent back in time with cowboys and indians
Maureen Forys
Mar 22, 2016 Maureen Forys rated it liked it
This one isn't as good as the second, but I'd still recommend it to kids who need constant action and conflict to stay interested.
John
Jan 08, 2011 John is currently reading it
i just started today.i am allready on chapter three!
Caedy  Eries
---Review Pending---

Forgot that we'd finished this one before I took it back to the library.
Hope Grover
Jul 13, 2013 Hope Grover rated it liked it
Lexile: 620
Katherine
Jun 01, 2009 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
I read this to my kids and they enjoyed it. It is a time-travel book about boys who go back to 1868 and see what real cowboys and Indians were like.
Carolyn
Mar 07, 2008 Carolyn rated it liked it
AR 3.8 -- 1.0

Time Warp Trio #3
The guys warp back to being "cowboys".
  • The Dragonslayers Apprentice
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • Giants Don't Go Snowboarding (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #33)
  • The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)
  • How to Be Cool in the Third Grade
  • How to Raise and Keep a Dragon
  • The Dragons are Singing Tonight
  • The Mystery of the Monster Movie (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #8)
  • Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon, #2)
  • Mr. Hynde Is Out of His Mind! (My Weird School, #6)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Darkness Under the Water
  • Smash Trash! (Disney/Pixar: WALL-E: Step into Reading Step 1)
  • The Weeping Werewolf (Moongobble and Me, #2)
  • Stink and the World's Worst Super-Stinky Sneakers (Stink, #3)
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • Classroom At The End Of The Hall
Jon Scieszka is a writer and teacher. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and two children. Occasionally he has been known to howl at the full moon. --from the dust jacket of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs"

Jon Scieszka is also the author of the best-selling ALA Notable Book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, as well as Knights of the Kitchen Table, and The Not-So-Jolly Roger
More about Jon Scieszka...

Time Warp Trio (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)
  • Your Mother Was a Neanderthal
  • 2095 (Time Warp Trio, #5)
  • Tut, Tut (Time Warp Trio, #6)
  • Summer Reading is Killing Me! (Time Warp Trio #7)
  • It's All Greek to Me
  • See You Later, Gladiator
  • Sam Samurai (Time Warp Trio, #10)
  • Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge? (Time Warp Trio #11)