Start by marking “Don't Squeal Unless it's a Big Deal: A Tale of Tattletales” as Want to Read:
Don't Squeal Unless it's a Big Deal: A Tale of Tattletales

Don't Squeal Unless it's a Big Deal: A Tale of Tattletales

With humor and exuberance, a compassionate problem-solving teacher shows classmate piglets who squeal incessantly on each other how to know when to tell and when to solve conflicts themselves. Includes Note to Parents and Teachers. Full-color illustrations.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 8/15/2005 Pages: 2006 Reading Level: Age 4 and Up
Published September 30th 2005 by Magination Press, (American Psychological Association)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Squeal Unless it's a Big Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Squeal Unless it's a Big Deal

Gwen Ayler
Nov 21, 2016 Gwen Ayler rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Something all teachers have to go over at one point or another is tattling versus telling. In this book Mr. McNeal's class of 19 students also has 19 tattletales.
This is a great book for teachers to pull out in that first week of school (and maybe a couple more times throughout the year) to go over the rule "don't squeal unless it's a big deal!"
The children have to learn how to handle "kid-sized problems" by talking, listening, and helping each other while also knowing when to get an adult invo
Melissa
Sep 08, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Ransom, J., & Urbanovic, J. (2006). Don't squeal unless it's a big deal: A tale of tattletales. Washington, D.C.: Magination Press.

Picture Book Soak

This is a book that I would really like to use with students. This is a great book that helps teach children about the life skill of trying to work “kid-sized” problems out by themselves, and knowing when it’s a “big” problem that needs to be told to an adult. The story is about a teacher named Mrs. McNeal who has a class of nineteen students who
Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Inside Cover:
Although most kids' problems are kid-sized ones that they can work out themselves, tattling is a fact of life for young children. Their ability to solve problems on their own is just developing, and they often feel they can't manage a situation without the help of an adult. As every teacher and parent knows, kids also tattle on their classmates and siblings because they want to look like the "good child," or be appreciated as helpful, or even just get some attention. And of course,
Natalie
Jun 15, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers and parents
Recommended to Natalie by: amazon recommended -- got it from the library
Funny book. Great to use at the beginning of the year in the classroom or throughout the year to help children understand the difference between tattling and telling about important things. I am going to use it.

I love it when the one pig tells on the other for "picking at his snout" or for "calling his desk a pig-sty"

When the pig said "Laura looked at me." That reminded me of many of our lovely students needing some reminders of what is important to tell on someone for:)

Great for classroom mana
Amy
Feb 20, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My class really enjoyed this book a lot, and I did as well. I related to all the "kid sized" things that students tend to complain about, and I thought that was a very good term to use. Having pigs as characters added humor to the story. There were a lot of valuable points and things that I can use to help remind my students to not tattle. When students have tried to tattle to me I have reminded them of the book, and its title, or asked, "Are you a little piggie trying to get someone into troubl ...more
Angela Hutchinson
iParenting Media Award Winner!

This is a great book about tattle telling. I would use this in early elementary classrooms to teach the students between tattling and informing the teacher about a danger. Most young students tattle on their peers for various different reasons. This book will help the students learn the difference. I read this to a group of students.
Karina Espinales
This is a great book for kindergarteners until 2nd grade! It is a book about tattle telling. It shows the students when they can and when they shouldn't. I loved it because it uses squeal instead of tattle tell. It is a good book to ask children about things that may occur and think about decisions that they can make.
Yadira
Jan 16, 2012 Yadira rated it really liked it
This would be an excellent book to read at the being of the year to set the rules on tattling and when it is appropriate to tell the teacher about a problem. This book tells the full story of a class of tattling little animals. The teacher in the book comes up with some rules about tattling and they are quite good.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Dec 08, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
I saw this on pinterest and had to read it.

Fun way to discuss tattling with students. Also, there is a note to parents and teachers at the back of the book that offers more insight about tattling and tips for teaching children alternatives to tattling.

Sassy School Counselor
Hands down my favorite book to use to discuss "tattling." It's great! After we read it we always play "Squeal or No Squeal" Read more about my lesson here: http://www.sassyschoolcounselor.blogs...
Mrs. Carey
This book is meant to help teach students about tattling. It was written by a guidance counselor and includes a parent/teacher guide in the back. The text itself may be too lengthy for some young children.
Shannon Kitchen
May 14, 2011 Shannon Kitchen rated it really liked it
I've always struggled with explaining the difference between tattling and telling someone when something's really wrong. I think this book does a great job of illustrating the difference. It would definitely be a great book to share in a classroom.
Michelle Nero
Sep 25, 2011 Michelle Nero rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good tale to share with students. Includes notes to teachers and parents about how to help children deal with problems on their own, unless of course it's a big deal.
Shirin Zarqa-Lederman
Shirin Zarqa-Lederman rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Carol Powers
Carol Powers rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
Sarah Doty
Sarah Doty rated it really liked it
May 14, 2014
Janica
Janica rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2014
~*mandy*~
~*mandy*~ rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Paula
Sep 19, 2015 Paula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Another great book about tattling!
Car
Car rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2017
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2012
Scott Bryson
Scott Bryson rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2016
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Dr. Audra
Dr. Audra rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Kelly HamsterLibrarian
Kelly HamsterLibrarian rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Kelli
Kelli rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
kristie blakley
kristie blakley rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2014
Yzobelle
Yzobelle rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue: Helping Kids Learn the Difference Between Tattling and Telling
  • How to Lose All Your Friends
  • Stand in My Shoes: Kids Learning about Empathy
  • Words Are Not for Hurting(Best Behavior)
  • You Get What You Get
  • Just Kidding
  • The Way I Act
  • You're Smarter Than You Think: A Kid's Guide to Multiple Intelligences
  • What If Everybody Did That?
  • Dude, That's Rude! (Get Some Manners)
  • Armadillo Tattletale
  • Dinosaurs Divorce
  • Compost Stew
  • Kindergarten Diary
  • Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed
  • It's Not Fair!
  • Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners
  • Miss Alaineus: A Vocabulary Disaster
Jeanie Franz Ransom is a children's author who travels between her homes in O'Fallon, MO and Northport, MI, and travels in her mind to all kinds of places. Jeanie grew up on a steady diet of books and Hostess products, and continues to be an avid reader and chocolate hound. Trixie Belden mysteries and horse books were Jeanie's childhood favorites. She now likes contemporary fiction, psychological ...more
More about Jeanie Franz Ransom...