Start by marking “Sword of Waters” as Want to Read:
Sword of Waters

Sword of Waters (The Shield, Sword, and Crown #2)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  655 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
"I'D LIKE YOU TO FIND THE SWORD FOR ME. DO YOU THINK YOU COULD HANDLE THAT?"

Arisa isn't certain how to respond when her mother, the Falcon, formerly a dangerous bandit but now lord commander of the army and navy of Deorthas, entrusts her with this extremely special mission.

Everything changed for Arisa when she and her friend Weasel stumbled upon the ancient shield rumo
Published September 22nd 2009 by Aladdin (first published November 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sword of Waters, please sign up.

Amanda Shield of Stars is book one, and Crown of Earth is book three. This is book two. Up where you see the title on the main book page, you can see that…moreShield of Stars is book one, and Crown of Earth is book three. This is book two. Up where you see the title on the main book page, you can see that next to it the series title and the number of this book listed in gray. Click on that and it will bring you to a page with a list of all the books in the series. (less)

Grace Crandall
Ahh this was amazing! The perfect follow-up to Shield of Stars. I cannot wait to read the next book! (except it'll also be the last book, which is extremely sad).
Picking up where the previous book left off with (view spoiler) in an uneasy power alliance, Sword of Waters has dramatic shift in tone and context from Shield of Stars. Where the first book is a quest, told from Weasel's point of view, this book is a court int
Sara
Jan 27, 2013 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to Shield of Stars focuses on Arisa instead of Weasel. It is slow moving and only picks up it's pace towards the end. I missed hearing more about Weasel, whom I had enjoyed reading in the first book. I would have liked more interaction between him and Arisa as this friendship was part of what made the first book good. The prince could also have played a bigger role instead of being reduced to a minor character. I think a development of a relationship (not necessarily romantic; even a ...more
Grace
Summary
Arisa, or Ris, is asked to find a legendary item for her mother and befriend the prince to a kingdom. She has to do all this while being thrust into a new world that is very different from the one she grew up in, while trying to untangle betrayals and figuring out where her loyalties lie.

Story
This is a young adult book, and young adult books are really starting to get on my nerves. I find it illogical and unbelievable that 13 and 14 year olds can save the kingdom, world, or fight legions
Jasmine Nguyen
Jul 15, 2015 Jasmine Nguyen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
*WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS MILD SPOILERS*

The Sword of Waters was an intriguing and fascinating novel.

I really like the fact that Arisa was once a bandit, now a lady. But not any lady! Arisa was such an excellent character and she was developed well.

But I especially enjoyed reading about Edoran. There's something about the prince that just hooks me in. He may be described as a coward, but I feel he's more than just that. It's like he can be 'wise beyond his years' and sometimes life is just t
Aurora Dimitre
Apr 17, 2015 Aurora Dimitre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april-2015
You know, I'm really starting to see what people mean when they say that Weasel is basically just an early version of Fisk. I mean, I love him - and I love all of the characters, basically - but, wow, Bell's got a thing for that type. Kavi (though he's got a different sort of thing going on), Fisk, Weasel - morally ambiguous 'former' thieves, the lot of them.

That aside, I really did enjoy this, like I enjoy basically all of Bell's work. This series doesn't have the amount of worldbuilding that s
Katelyn
Oct 08, 2009 Katelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as fun as the first.
Amanda
May 20, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note: I changed the read dates to this read so it'll count for the challenge. I really did read this before now!

Forgot how genius this book is. When reading it this time, I was amazed by just how excellently done Arisa's whole character arc was in this book. At the beginning, she's frustrated and just wants out of the lady-in-the-palace situation. In the middle, she's beginning to question everything around her, and yet, she doesn't want to believe the conclusions she's coming to. When we finall
Arl
Jul 07, 2011 Arl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
I have to say, this was one of the best books I've read in a long time. I don't give 5 stars reviews to books that much, but this definitely deserves them!

I know they all say "Don't judge a book by its cover", but that's what I did when I borrowed this book. Sort of. I also liked the title. Reading the inside flap convinced me this would be one good read. And so it was; besides the nice cover, good title, and awesome font, the story was fascinating, interesting, and had me going until the end. A
Maxine
May 10, 2011 Maxine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sword of Waters is the second book in the Shield, Sword, and Crown trilogy by Hilari Bell. It takes place shortly after the first book but, where the first book was from the point of view of Weasel, this book is Arisa's story.

14-year-old Arisa hates court life, she hates the fancy dresses, the corsets, the balls, the other girls, but, most of all, she hates that Weasel is now best friends with Prince Edoran who she also hates. Her mother, the Falcon and now commander of the navy, suggests th
Karen Keyte
Jun 21, 2011 Karen Keyte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in Hilari Bell's Shield, Sword and Crown trilogy turns the focus from reformed pickpocket Weasel (who was featured in Shield of Stars) to Arisa Benison, his friend and fellow adventurer. As the daughter of the infamous former bandit and rebel the Falcon, Arisa finds her life has changed dramatically in recent months. Since the Falcon was made Lord Commander of the Army and Navy, Arisa has moved into the palace and struggles every day against those who would teach her to be a prop ...more
Rebecca
Very impressive sequel to the Shield of Stars, the first book in this trilogy. The Sword of Waters follows the journey of Arisa, daughter of a smuggler/bandit now serving as head of the Navy, as she uncovers a plot against the prince.

These books are very good with characterization of the three heroes, an intricate plot and unforeseen twists.

Highly recommended.
Bayla
Buzzwords: Justice, court life, freedom/lack of freedom, rebellion, friendship, trust, war, ingenuity, kick-butt girl

The first book of the trilogy was in Weasel's voice - now Arisa takes up the tale. It's interesting to see her different perspective (though the events are new, her memories inform the past as well). Recommended.
Trish
Feb 15, 2012 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Hilari Bell. The first ended pretty resolved, but this follow up in the aftermath of the Falcon's "victory" shows how power is always precarious. I like that the story was told from Arisa's point-of-view and how moving to the castle to play princess is not what every girl dreams of. Still, I missed Weasel and relished when he was brought to the forefront for the use of his talents, towards the end. The Prince must not be too bad if Weasel has befriended him, but jealousy ke ...more
Mar 19, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book about a strong girl that has to learn there are somethings that you can't do alone. This story strongly reminds me of one of my favorite book series, Song of the Lioness. If you have read books by Tamora Pierce, this is another series you should love.
Lucee Lu
It took me awhile to finish this book, mostly because it's pretty slow. It only picks up in the last few chapters, but I think I'll give the last book a try. Not the greatest series, but it's unique.
Tristan
Sep 10, 2014 Tristan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is great. Former bandit turned castle lady is on the quest for the sword of waters. They end up sneaking about in order to avoid trouble with the higher power in court. A fast-paced story full of suspense readers are sure to enjoy.
Kim Gontarz
Arisa and Weasel continue to try and understand who the Prince is and is he good for the kingdom.
Oct 08, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, the fantasy elements mixed with the old renaissance is really catching and fun to read.
Aragorn
Sep 29, 2009 Aragorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You might like the book sword of waters. If you like medieval book. It’s about a girl that was raised in a bandit camp. Her mother is a bandit camp commander. Then her mother sent her on a mission to find the hidden sword. She haves to talk to the prince for some information about the sword. Her friend helps her on the way. There is lots of interesting history about the kings. This book haves lots of detail and fun to read. Then she gets in a fight with her maid. The book series have three books ...more
Rachel
Aug 12, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
When her mom, the Falcon, became a military commander for Regent Hollis, Arisa didn't expect all the fancy rules and clothes that came with it. She doesn't even want to be a court lady. The corsets are too tight, the dresses are ridiculously impractial, and she doesn't get along with the other girls her age (turns out, ladies fight in a different way--who would've known?)
Worse, Weasel seems to be having a great time being the prince's best friend. And that was before Arisa started getting suspic
Jazmine
Apr 02, 2012 Jazmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I choose this book because I wanted to find out if Arisa and Weasel found the sword. The book "The Sword of Waters,By Hilari Bell is about Arisa, Weasel and Prince Edoran are on a quest on finding the sword. While going through the quest Arisa is really shocked on the who the traitor was. There really wasn't a quote that I liked. The author's writing style was amazing as the first book, it has the same type of twist to it. I would recommend this book to people who read the first book and liked i ...more
Cheri Bauer
Sep 25, 2015 Cheri Bauer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, amazing, ah-ma-zing! I couldn't possibly write about all of the things that I love about this book (or the series). But... It is a wonderfully crafted adventure which had me turning page after page to see what happens next. Plots within plots, and then neatly culminating in a bigger picture.

Truly a fantastic book!

I jumped to the third (of the series) immediately after having read the last page of the second (thankfully I had purchased both together).
May
Jul 14, 2010 May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This story picked up where the first, Shield of Stars, left off. Unlike some trilogies, it didn't leave too much time in between where you start wondering what happened in your absence. But it picks up with everyone in place at the palace already, so the story doesn't get pulled down by in-between events.

The ending, however, is a cliff-hanger, and it looks like it should be closely followed up by the third book.
Ryan
Jun 03, 2009 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another nice surprise, though it follows the pattern of Second Books of Series and drops you off a cliff at the end which often just irritates me unless the next book is already out.

Interesting possibilities for theological discussion, as well as some more touchy ideas about revenge and the difference between being a patriot-rebel-hero and a terrorist.
Pam
Mar 09, 2009 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. However, if you're thinking of reading the trilogy, you should be aware that the third book doesn't come out until fall of 2009, and the end of this book leaves you feeling about the same as you do at the end of Empire Strikes Back or Fellowship of the Ring.

I really want the next book to come out!!!
A quick read (about 2 hours) and a good sequel to Shield of Stones. In the 1st book the kids seemed younger than the ages they were supposed to be, but this one fits their ages better, although they still seem to be a tad bit younger. Some surprising plot twists in here too - looking forward to the third book.
Cory
Feb 08, 2010 Cory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this author, who consistently writes solid fantasies with great female characters and people that I care about. As I usually say when I read a series title, it probably would have served me well to brush up on the first book before I read this. I'm looking forward to reading the third in the trilogy.
Katie
Arisa is so great. I wish I'd known her when I was a kid.
Rachael
Nov 21, 2014 Rachael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'd give this book a four or five star if not for the fact that there is swearing in it. Swear words really detract from my opinion of a book and can make it lose a five star rating that I would have given it.
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • Dusssie
  • Millie's Courageous Days (A Life Of Faith: Millie Keith #2)
  • Tiger Moon
  • Ultimate Magic (Merlin's Dragon trilogy, #3)
  • The Runaway Dragon (Runaway Princess, #2)
  • Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5)
  • Gift of the Unmage (Worldweavers, #1)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • The Valley of Secrets
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • Blue Wings (Phantom Stallion, #20)
  • The Nancy Drew Cookbook: Clues to Good Cooking (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #0)
  • The Education of Patience Goodspeed
  • Haunted Ocean (Doc Savage, #51)
  • Mystery on Skull Island (American Girl History Mysteries, #15)
As far as writing is concerned, I call myself the poster child for persistence. Songs of Power, the first novel I sold, was the 5th novel I'd written. When it sold I was working on novel #13. The next to sell, Navohar, was #12, and the next, A Matter of Profit, was #9. The Goblin Wood was #6, and the first Sorahb book, Flame (later renamed Farsala: Fall of a Kingdom), will be #15. You get the pict ...more
More about Hilari Bell...

The Shield, Sword, and Crown (3 books)
  • Shield of Stars (The Shield, Sword, and Crown, #1)
  • Crown of Earth (The Shield, Sword, and Crown, #3)

“All causes are good,' Yallin told her calmly. 'And those exact same causes are all bad, depending on which side a body's on. Regent Pettibone and his followers certainly thought your mother's cause was a bad one. To my mind, causes aren't about good or bad, in the end. They're about power. That's what makes them so dangerous.” 1 likes
“Things that other people do, or that happen to people you love, are some of the things you can't fight.” 0 likes