Start by marking “Moon Awakening (Children of the Moon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moon Awakening (Children of the Moon, #1)

Moon Awakening (Children of the Moon #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,825 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
When Emily Hamilton's family is ordered to send a woman to the Scottish highlands for marriage to the laird of the Sinclair, Emily volunteers in order to save her younger sister from such a fate. But at her new home, the only friend she finds is the laird's sister-especially after Emily's stubborn streak causes the laird to cancel the marriage. And though her plans have go ...more
Published February 6th 2007 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2007)

Slave to Sensation by Nalini SinghDragon Bound by Thea HarrisonA Hunger Like No Other by Kresley ColeCaressed by Ice by Nalini SinghKiss of Snow by Nalini Singh
Hot Shapeshifter Romances
136th out of 736 books — 817 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerOutlander by Diana GabaldonDragonfly in Amber by Diana GabaldonVoyager by Diana GabaldonChangeless by Gail Carriger
Historical Paranormal Romance
64th out of 337 books — 393 voters

More lists with this book...

MelissaB
Moon Awakening is a book with an interesting premise - Scottish werewolves in a medieval setting. The story wasn't quite a knock out for me but it was still a good read.

Emily Hamilton is an English woman sent to the Scottish Highlands to marry a laird upon the demand of the King. She volunteered to go in place of her younger half-sister who is deaf from an illness because she fears what the laird would do to her. Upon Emily's arrival at the Sinclair holding, she finds the Sinclair laird wants no
new_user
Feb 07, 2009 new_user rated it really liked it
I've had this book on my to-read for a while. I haven't read many good historical paranormals, but Monroe's modern suspense titles came so highly recommended, I took a chance on a historical title.

Mostly, I liked it. Lachlan & co. are sexy, dangerous and charming when they initially meet and coerce/persuade the heroines away to their dread castle.

However, once the heroines hook up with the heroes, it seems like the author was reaching for a conflict and the couples descend into bickering, so
Zeek
Out spoken, tender hearted Emily Hamilton has never been understood by her step-mother. So when Emily volunteers to take the place of her deaf younger sister in an arranged marriage, her step-mother readily agrees- just to be rid of Emily once and for all.

Emily doesn't want to give up her freedom, especially not to a barbaric highland Scotsman living far from her home in England. But she will do anything to protect her sister. So she leaves her life behind to an uncertain future.

When she arrives
Erin
I wanted to LOVE this book. But I only liked it.
Twas an enjoyable read but I felt it took to long for the Lachlan and Emily to get to the bedding(view spoiler)
I liked Lachlan and Emily and the fact that he wanted to help conquer her fears. I also liked that Lachlan had his own vulnerabilities like thinking she wouldn't accept his wolf and when she did...*sigh* So sweet.
Thing is a *liked* this book...but I could have done without it(I WILL BE READ
Zoe
Aug 21, 2015 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ok read, i was however rather bored at about 60% and had to push myself to finish the rest of the story. The problem is that there is no true affection between the lead characters. I get that they get hot with each other because they are "mates" and all but why? Other than strong sexual attraction, constant bickering and denial, there is no relationship.

Reading the first few chapters I thought Emily was supposed to be with this Talorc guy. Then she was adbucted by Lachlan, laird of an enemy cla
Laura the Highland Hussy
Jan 18, 2010 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it really liked it
Shelves: highlander-books
I read a short story that is a free download and the pre-quel to this story on Lucy Monroe's website, and was completely unimpressed (it could have been the childish looking wolf drawings that distracted me, though, they were dumb!) But I really wasn't expecting much from this.
I was way off! this was a great story and I look forward to reading the next full-length book.
Emily is sent off to the Highlands to wed a laird who'd demanded reparations from her father, an English baron. She and Talorc
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Jul 28, 2011 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal historical romance readers
This is my first Lucy Monroe book and I was debating between a paranormal romance and a historical romance when I saw this in my TBR pile. It was a nice read and filled my need for both genres.

In this story, Emily Hamilton takes the place of her deaf sister, Abigail, when the king requests her father send a daughter to marry Talorc Sinclair, laird of a Scottish Highland clan. She treks from England to Scotland not knowing there is a special breed of shapeshifting people that live in the Highland
Cynthia
Apr 19, 2010 Cynthia rated it really liked it
A little confusing at first getting the back-story and history of the Chrechte (werewolf) people, but that soon dissipates as the storyline takes hold, and you are immersed in this wonderful world in the Scottish Highlands.

The heroine and hero, Emily Hamilton and Lachlan Balmoral, are delightful. Many secondary characters are fully developed and come into play through-out the story. The side-story tale of Drustan and Cait added even more enjoyment to this engrossing tale.

You won't be disappoint
Summer
Moon Awakening was... okay. It was one of those romance novels where I feel like the characters aren't really developed much. The heroine is sent to Scotland to marry some lord to protect her deaf sister from having to go. She loves her sister and befriends the sister of the lord she supposed to marry but that's about all you can say for her. The hero is some alpha highlander man who kidnaps the heroine and her friend. He wears plaid and is kind of pretty but that's about all you can say for him ...more
Martina the Book Fairy
Jan 22, 2010 Martina the Book Fairy rated it really liked it
Moon Awakening is copyrighted 2007 and has probably been on my bookshelf since late 2007/early 2008 which is around the time that I was really getting into urban style PNR and was leaving other sub-genres behind.

Moon Awakening takes place in old Scotland in an indeterminate time in the past and is generally a werewolf story. It's currently the only book in the series, but Book #2, Moon Craving, is coming out in Feb 2010. There is also a precursor to the series, Run With the Moon, that is availa
Dawn ♥ romance
Nov 17, 2015 Dawn ♥ romance rated it really liked it
An enjoyable paranormal historical romance with plenty of action that moved right along but I guessed who done it pretty early and I thought the hero was a bit to obstinate and the heroine just accepted most of it. The king orders an English woman marry a Highland laird and Emily volunteers to go for her sister.
Ctanner
Jun 14, 2010 Ctanner rated it really liked it
I liked the heroine, Emily, in Moon Awakening a lot. She is smart, courageous, and sweet. This book was a nice surprise. I liked the werewolf angle and the charming dialogue.
Chris
Jul 19, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing
Great book, kept my interest from start to finish, great story line with adventure, suspense, and romance, it kept me captivated of what would happen, loved the book.
Bianca
I really enjoyed this book! I thought there was great chemistry between hero and heroine, though I felt like I could of got to know him a little better!
Paranormal Romance
To save her deaf sister from being sent to marry a Scottish barbarian, the heroine offers to take her place. Traveling to a strange land with people with strange customs the heroine has never felt so alone. She's hated because of her heritage and treated with open distain but her new betrothed and his people. But when she kidnapped by a rival clan, the heroine fights her captors to get back as she fears her sister will now be sent in her place. The hero, alpha of his pack of ancient werewolf shi ...more
Kathy
Kristi
Though I did really enjoy this one, it didn't live up to my expectations. It was a nice combination of paranormal (werewolf) and historical/highlander romance, which I'm surprised to say worked out REALLY well.

Without giving too much away, though the storyline was interesting, at times I felt like it was just pages and pages of the characters talking endlessly. So many times, you're reading a lingering conversation between Emily and Lachlan, or Emily and Cait. Emily: "I am worried, Cait." Cait:
Marinella
Dec 24, 2012 Marinella rated it really liked it
Shelves: pr-uf, adult, highlander
A un quarto mi annoiavo. A metà ero indecisa se terminarlo o lasciarlo lì. A metà più qualche pagina...ero presissima! Eh sì, questo libro per me ha tre volti: la facciata highlander (non così affascinante per me, che a parte Braveheart e Rob Roy non ho fatto grandi incursioni nel genere, per mancanza di appeal ai miei occhi), la facciata shapeshifter (non così fondamentale nel libro, per lo meno nella prima metà) e la facciata romance (che ha una partenza diciamo...diesel). Ecco, tutti e tre mi ...more
Ashley F
This review was posted at Tsuki’s Book Blog on September 7, 2013.

When I went through my Lucy Monroe phase a few weeks ago, I went looking into her backlist and saw this series. On top of that I had read one of her novellas from this series in a recent anthology. I loved the novella but sadly I had to request this book from a library outside of my system. I then had to wait a month for it to come in. I hate waiting for a book I'm excited for and this was no exception.

Emily Hamilton is sent to the
Sheryl
EXCELLENT BLEND OF HISTORICAL AND PARANORMAL ROMANCE- 4-1/2 stars

What I loved most about this book was that it was a wonderful blend of both historical and paranormal romance. I have not read this type before. I have read many paranormal romances and many historical romances, but none that blended the two together, so for me it was great!

The main characters-- Emily and Lachlan-- are great together. Emily has tons of spunk and Lachlan is an alpha-male and together they make a great team. The sec
Sandra
Jun 06, 2011 Sandra rated it liked it
Really 3.5

Think Scottish Highlands, think historical, think werewolves, think werewolves in kilts. Hmmmm ...

If you thought all that you were right! Our Laird is Lachlan Balmoral, our heroine is Emily Hamilton, an Englishwoman sent to marry an unknown Scottish Laird on the orders of her King.

Emily is the one offering to go to Scotland because she doesn't think her deaf sister would fare so well up there. Unbeknownst to her the Scottish Laird, Talorc Sinclair doesn't want her either. Luckily for
Oleta Blaylock
Jan 03, 2011 Oleta Blaylock rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I love this book. It was the perfect book to read while I was recovering from bronchitis. This series has been fantastic and I am eagerly awaiting the next one. I think Lucy Monroe is a great author and see has moved to my must buy list. Moon Awakening is the first book in this series. Hot male werewolves are always wonderful but Lucy has made up a world that seems so real and enjoyable. I am not a big fan of medieval historicals but Ms Monroe does a good job of keeping you focused on the charac ...more
Megha~*book addict*
Feb 22, 2015 Megha~*book addict* rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars
Interesting premise. Two of my favorites- highland romance + werewolves. Yayyy
The hero is a mighty highland laird and the alpha of the pack; the heroine is a 'weak' human and English (*gasp*). Total recipe for a passionate love hate relationship between the H and h.
Loved it.
On to the next one in the series. ;)
Nicole Lygo
Feb 21, 2016 Nicole Lygo rated it really liked it
I loved this book! The characters were hilarious, but it was also very romantic. And to anyone who was wondering about Susannah and Magnus who were mentioned multiple times, it you check the authors website, she has a mini story about them and their first meeting.
Daffodil
Apr 11, 2011 Daffodil rated it really liked it
I was a little worried in the beginning. I didn't really care for the prologue's wording. It came across as a "long, long ago in a place far, far away" intro. The minute I started the first chapter and got into the story, my fears disappeared and I really enjoyed it. I was reminded quite a lot of Julie Garwood's Highland historicals. Emily is a charming Englishwoman, strong, supportive of her friend and willing to face her fears to do what she thought was right. She forms an instant bond with Ca ...more
Laurie Ryan
Dec 22, 2012 Laurie Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shape-shifter stories never fail to draw me away from real life and give me a mental break. Moon Awakening is full of Celtic shape-shifters and wow, did they get my attention. Lucy Monroe is my go-to author for a consistently great read and this story did not disappoint at all. I love how Emily doesn’t let Lachlan’s power intimidate her and, in fact, she manages to get the man to break rules he set for his own clan! As well, I feel like I got two stories in one with Cait’s .

Strong women, alpha
Natália Eduardo
Mar 01, 2016 Natália Eduardo rated it liked it
Diverti-me com esse livro, apesar de achar os dialogos fracos. Esse livro é muito rápido de ler e gostei muito da personagem principal, pelo modo franco com o qual percebia sua situação e agia.
Amanda The Book Slayer

Great Werewolf Series mixed with Highlander Romance.

I really enjoyed this book having paranormal influence with the Highlander setting. It's like my favorite two worlds combined. YEA!

Emily gets sent to the Highlands to wed a Highland Laird. She ends up getting captured by a rival clan.

Lachlan is a mighty Highland Warrior Laird and has decided to take Emily as retribution.

Emily and Lachlan have an instant connection that neither want to acknowledge, but somehow grows with the time they spend
Andita
May 17, 2015 Andita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful...

Tale with lots of good writing. I know I will read more by this author. I loved the female and male characters. I'm intrigued to see more of the animals.
Celebrating A New Harlequin Showcase Release For Lucy Monroe 1 7 May 11, 2010 07:56AM
Cyber Launch Party Today For Lucy Monroe's MOON CRAVING 1 4 Feb 05, 2010 06:35AM
  • Tall, Dark and Wolfish (Westfield Wolves, #2)
  • Last Wolf Standing (Bloodrunners #1)
  • Call of the Highland Moon (The MacInnes Werewolves Trilogy, #1)
  • Highland Dragon
  • She Wolf (True Mates, #1)
  • Sins of the Highlander
  • Destiny of the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #2)
  • The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)
  • Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)
  • The Border Lord
  • Unspoken (The MacLauchlans, #1)
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • The Dark One (Wild Wulfs of London, #1)
  • Never Cry Wolf (Night Watch, #4)
  • Fire and Rain (Cherchez Pack, #2)
  • In Bed With A Stranger (McJames, #1)
  • Warlord
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
Award winning author Lucy Monroe had her first book published in September 2003. Since then she has sold more than 50 books to four publishers and hit national bestsellers lists in the US and England. She writes sexy category romance for Harlequin Presents including her own ongoing mini-series, The Royal Brides. If you prefer a longer book, but want to keep it steamy, try her Mercenary trilogy or ...more
More about Lucy Monroe...

Children of the Moon (5 books)
  • Moon Craving (Children of the Moon, #2)
  • Moon Burning (Children of the Moon, #3)
  • Dragon's Moon (Children of the Moon, #4)
  • Warrior's Moon (Children of the Moon, #5)