Start by marking “Runaway Devil: How Forbidden Love Drove a 12-Year-Old to Murder Her Family” as Want to Read:
Runaway Devil: How Forbidden Love Drove a 12-Year-Old to Murder Her Family

Runaway Devil: How Forbidden Love Drove a 12-Year-Old to Murder Her Family

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Marc and Debra seemed to have it all — a lovely home in the Prairie town of Medicine Hat, fulfilling careers, a supportive marriage, and two beautiful children: eight-year-old Jacob and twelve-year-old JR. After years of struggle to reach this point, they finally felt their future held promise. But on April 23, 2006, their bodies were discovered in their basement, covered ...more
Published September 7th 2010 by McClelland & Stewart (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Runaway Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway Devil

Alisha Marie
I'm surprised that the Richardson family murders weren't a big headline in the U.S. despite the fact that it happened in Canada. You would think that some people would bring it up and say "See the US Justice System isn't THAT bad. Sure we let Casey Anthony out, but we would NEVER give an underage murderer a slap on the wrist!" But, nevertheless, this is my first time hearing of this case. I was intrigued by the cover, so I decided to check Runaway Devil out of the library, and was appalled by th ...more
Tara Lynn
This reads like sensationalist tabloid true-crime.

Although most crime authors tend to sensationalize the story for the market, I really wanted to yell at both of these authors. First of all, if you're going to pretend to be a nonpartial observer/writer, be NONPARTIAL.

The entirety of the book is overwhelmingly pro-Jeremy, the 23yr old rapist/murderer who was "overwhelmed" and "seduced" by a "smart and emotionally moving" 12yr old.

I REPEAT: You're supposed to feel sorry for the 23 yr old for co
Claudia
In case I haven't made myself clear already, I really love true crime! This case hits close to home - it was a sensational case that took place in Canada. Headlines and nasty rumours even reached as far as where I was living at the time in Northern Ontario. There is one word that kept popping up throughout the book, as well as through other reviews I've read, and blogs still keeping track of the case - unthinkable. That's exactly what this case is. Unthinkable.

As the verdicts and sentences were
Venus H
Really crap writing by Remington and Zickefoose. He uses an extremely condescending tone towards teens, and writes J's story as if he wasn't just another nosy reporter trying to make a buck off her. He describes it as if J killed her family because she's a teen, but I find it completely biased and at times ridiculous.
Derek Donais
You know that strange urge to slow down and look that grips you when driving past the scene of an accident? That macabre pull to see what's happened? Well, I had that experience with the latest book up for review: Runaway Devil: How Forbidden Love Drove a 12-Year-Old to Murder Her Family. Seeing the book, it rekindled my curiosity regarding the horrific stories I'd heard after the events of that 2006 spring in Medicine Hat. While I can usually fight off the temptation to slow down and 'rubbernec ...more
Brittany
Jun 18, 2010 Brittany rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are interested in Canadian true crime or studying psychology
How I Came To Read This Book: I wish I remembered how I came to learn about the familial homicides committed by a twelve-year-old girl named Jasmine and her twenty-three-year-old boyfriend Jeremy, but I don't know. I just kept a passive interest in the case when it happened to cross my path, and recently I learnt there was a book written about it, so I borrowed it from the library.

The Plot: Technically speaking, there is a publication ban on the young offender implicated in the crimes in this bo
Lo
This is a true crime book unlike any other, but is that a good thing?

Two reporters from Calgary desperately attempt to construct the exact argument used by the defense in this case, but their general lack of information leaves the book feeling like a rush job.

For starters, our merry murderess is referred to only as JR, and her friends all have reconstructed identities, due to Canadian juvenile laws. In lieu of her odd initials being used, the writers try calling her by a myriad of her screenna
Kendra
What kid hasn't said "I wish my parents were dead' but you don't actually mean it. Jeremy thought JR meant it. And the horrible murder of a Medicine Hat family occurred.

This book is haunting. Haunting in the fact that its so close to home.More haunting is the fact that right now, JR (name can't be provided as she was underage at the time of the murder and the Canadian legal system protects those...but if you do a google search you will be able to find her) has been out of jail since 2012 and bas
Katie
The main reason I was stoked to read this book is because I live in the city where the grisly crimes were committed, but even if I didn't, it would still be a really interesting story. That is, unfortunately, butchered by the storytellers. The author(s?) like to veer wildly off-topic to describe the local geography, etc. I'm too lazy to find the actual quote, but there was something along the lines of this:

(setting, the cop has just realised who the teenagers at the gas station are and is going
Bree Mclaren
I thought this was really well written for a true crime book. "Runaway Devil" kept me interested in the story the entire time. The book wasn't to overbearing on the technical jargon of law, it was a good combination of 'narrative' like writing, quotes, evidence, and trial.

I had first heard of Jasmine Richardson on the show Deadly Women on Investigation Discovery. Originally they referred to her as JR (as they do in the book due to Canadian law of keeping the identity of young offenders as secre
Teddie
This book was very interesting and did a good job describing the 2 killers relationship. And the difference between Canadian and USA laws regarding minors is quite different. To say the 12 year old walked away with a slap on the wrist is an understatement. I was shocked at her sentence. But I did find the book lacking in details. I would have loved to learn more about her home life. I would have like to learn more about the victims. It seems to me the victims in this book were forgotten. And wha ...more
Randi
It was like an accident. Can't look away even though you kind of want to. Guilty pleasure read, I guess.
Viky S. Deneault
Some fucked up book I read when I was 13 or so and it scared me and made me want to be a criminologist at the same time!
Daniella Mendoza
I came to read this book after watching the "J.R." case on "Deadly Women". Since I already read a lot about it, I was not expecting an easy read.

Fortunately, it's quite poignant. In fact, it's a very reliable source on the "J. Richardson / Steinke" case - not just about the crime itself, but it showed how the relationship between "J.R." (who we all know is named "Jasmine Richardson", if you did your homework!) and her parents. And, of course, how it all ended up.

One thing I will tell you is that
Kristi
This book is absolutely horrible. It's written poorly. The story is over by less than a 1/3 of the way in and it's another 200 and some pages. I'll admit it's probably unfair of me to review it as I felt there was no point in finishing it. A terrible stupid little girl meets a terrible stupid older boy and they do terrible things and then blame each other for it. But for the most part it's just an unreadable book that is finsihed about 100 pages in and then just starts to drone on and on and on ...more
Anne
Was excited to read this book however it fell way short of my expectations with the writing.

The factual content was great and well researched however the authors tended to stray into other area's and kept having to retrack to the original story which was annoying.

I believe this book could have been better written with about 50 pages less - divergance from the subject was extremely distracting and boring as was the authors clearly biased opinions on the goth world and also JR's mental condition.

A
X-tina Campos
So far this book is very interesting for me. the girl whose code name in the book is JR has a kind and loving family yet has problems with them. like any teenager she is rebelling. but she goes darker when shes 12. she begins hangin out with jeremy who is almost twice her age, and both are unaware of this. very captivating so far,
---

This book is very psycological. its insane but you can see what happened how it happened and wonder... how many more stories similar to this there are
Jessica
I am fascinated by what makes people murder - especially children and those you wouldn't think would ordinarily "do such a thing." As an armchair psychologist, delving into the minds of sociopaths and people with borderline personality disorders is very interesting.

This little girl (now an adult getting ready to be unleashed back into society) bears a startling resemblance to Karla Holmolka - and that's not a good thing. Makes you hope and pray that your children just act out by smoking pot.
Janelle
I have never started crying, or felt so much emotion while reading a book before. I knew going into this novel that it was going to hit home, but it was so emotional. I really enjoyed it, and I was glad to finally know what actually happened with this horrible tragity. I reccomend this book to everyone who is looking for an amazing non-fiction read. The two are twisted, sick, and completely disgusting, and now I think everyone has some closure after reaing this.
Tracey Evans
both fascinating and disturbing, it lends credit to the argument that sociopaths are born, not made...and the partnering of two such people can create something unbelievably sinister.
Arieanca
I live about 2 blocks from where this horrific tragedy happened. It has opened many memories again. I am hoping after reading this book, that I can make more sense of what happened. But, then how can anyone make sense of a murder? I didn't know the family personally, but some of my friends did. Reading this book has opened up emotions, memories and questions. I feel attached to the story, because it happened in my neighbour hood.
Emily
okay read. I really didn't appreciate the bad perspective they gave the goth scene. The people who investigated the crime thought Maryln Manson was metal music which is way off. I think if anything, it proved to me how horribly prejudice the justice system is in any country. Yes the kid has mental health issues but there is no need to make her into a monster, or "devil" as the book puts it.
Beth
Okay, every once in a while I venture out and read true crime books (thanks in part to Ann Rule's book about Ted Bundy and Thomas Capano of Delaware). This book was tragic. Honestly, it could have ended after the first 2 chapters, but the end of the book makes interesting read for anyone into court tv, criminal justice, etc.
Krystal
Haunting read with vivid description of the crime scene and the events leading up to & after; especially if you lived in the city when it happened, like I was. Great descriptions of the city and I loved reading the history although perhaps there was too much of it at times. I think it would make a good movie.
Teresa
Wow. Very interesting to read true crime subject matter that is close to home. Tells the tale of the Richardson family of Medicine Hat AB, who were brutally killed (mom, dad, and son) by their then 12 year old daughter, Jasmine, and her 23 year old boyfriend, Jeremy.

Great investigation by the co-authors!
Emily
I really hate to say I "liked" this book, given its entirely disturbing (and depressing) content, but it was written well and occasionally I'll get into crime stories (the informative aspect). I had no sympathy for the Canadian girl in question or her older boyfriend who helped her murder her entire family.
Sharleen Smith
One of the scariest books I have ever read. Very well written. No sensationalism of facts...did not need it the truth was creepy enough. I still think about the line in the book that states...to this day neither killer has taken responsibility for killing Jacob...
K.C.
If I hadn't been so interested in this case, I would discontinued reading it after the first ten pages. It's a fascinating story but this book is s o poorly written and doesn't do the story justice at all.

Wikipedia drew out more emotion from me.
Jesse
It was interesting to read this book, a few years after so much of it played out in the local media. I did not a few (in my opinion,) inaccuracies, and there were a few times all I could do was shake my head at the sadness/insanity of the story.
Valerie  Shampine
I remember reading this one before, parts of it were very familiar. A really horrific Canadian murder committed by a 12 year old girl, and her boyfriend. The girl's mother, father and younger brother were all brutally murdered in their home.
  • Mommy's Little Girl
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • The Man With The Candy: The Story of The Houston Mass Murders
  • Pure Murder
  • Delivered from Evil: True Stories of Ordinary People Who Faced Monstrous Mass Killers and Survived
  • A Sniper in the Tower: The Charles Whitman Murders
  • Will You Die for Me?
  • Little Lost Angel
  • Poisoned Love
  • Cries Unheard: Why Children Kill: The Story of Mary Bell
  • How I Helped O.J. Get Away With Murder: The Shocking Inside Story of Violence, Loyalty, Regret, and Remorse
  • Cries in the Desert