Start by marking “Multiple Choice” as Want to Read:
Multiple Choice

Claire Cook

Multiple Choice

3.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,031 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
A new laugh-out-loud novel from the national bestselling author of Must Love Dogs.

There was a time when March Monroe thought she and her daughter Olivia would never really cut the cord. Now Olivia is off to college and March is secretly doing the same thing. It's a high-voltage shock when they run into each other as student interns at the local radio station. From the au
Published June 28th 2005 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Multiple Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Multiple Choice

This is a poorly written book where a lot of things almost happen, but nothing really does. Most of the dialogue is forced and random, and doesn't seem like something people would actually say in the given situation. The husband and wife are in a "fight" after two or three sentences that seem harmless enough. The daughter is more like a bratty 13-year-old than a grown, college-aged woman. The characters are in turns one-dimensional, cliched, and unrealistic and you never really believe their mot ...more
Dianne
Sep 24, 2009 Dianne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
(Please, authors, can we get some women who have jobs such as secretaries, nurses, teachers, sales reps, coordinators, speech therapists, etc., instead of women who have a catering/gardening/decorating business?? I’m tired of authors painting such a charming picture of those self-owned businesses, when in reality most women can’t make a living in them.)

It was overly lightweight, relied too much on stereotypical characters and situations. Anyway, I got tired of the daughter’s horrid attitude and
Sep 05, 2009 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not completely terrible, but not overly stimulating either so far. Just not much actually seems to happen. It's possible it's about pick up as of the last chapter's developments. I'm a bit worried though...I feel I can identify a little too easily with the 50yr old's pov instead of the 18yr old's should I? I'm only 32! I know March the Mom is who we're supposed to root for, but I'm just feeling a bit old. There's probably a good reason this was on B&N's clearance rack.

Ok, so a week later, an
Kathy
May 22, 2015 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am neutral on this book. Not good, not bad. I didn't love it nor did I hate it. A quick and easy read, although I have read better from this author. Mom and daughter attend two separate, but not distant, colleges. They then both sign up for interns at the same radio station, and end up with their own show, which is a hit.
Heather
I usually really enjoy Claire Cook novels, but I was disappointed in this one. March Monroe has enrolled in college just as her daughter does. Although the women don't go to the same school, they end up sharing an internship at a radio station and soon end up with a radio show.

I had one big problem with this book. I HATED Olivia. I know that we are supposed to root for March, but Olivia came off as completely unlikeable. I kept thinking 1) that she acted more like a spoiled 13 year old than a c
Allison
Feb 01, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! It was sweet, realistic, and at times had me laughing out loud. Claire Cook really knows how to hit close to home without making her characters seem fake or strained.
Sandra Lopez
I admire anyone who is willing to go back to college. In this case, March just wants to get her degree to prove that she can finish something. Olivia (the daughter) is a spoiled, little brat, who doesn’t like to share. So what if your mom is at the same internship. And March, like any other mother that’s lost connection with her kids, wonders and overanalyzes the descent and fall of the family ties.

Somewhat witty and full of family drama--lots and LOTS of drama--it’s really not that funny. This
Stacy
Unfortunately, not my favorite book. I've always wondered what people meant when, in a book review, they said a character was flat. Now I know. I feel like there really wasn't a whole lot of depth to the characters in the book. And I didn't really like many of them. I guess my favorite part of the book was in the first part of it when March had some friends over and, in trying to quickly clean her house, she put the cat litter box in the oven and a friend found it. And the running joke from that ...more
Allison
Jun 28, 2010 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading this book I found myself laughing out loud as I read. I loved reading this book and found it full of rich characters and funny circumstances. Claire Cook writes with real life perspective and the humor that is hiding in the everyday. Her characters jump out from the page and you feel like you have known them for years.

One of my favorite scenes is when March Monroe has all of her girlfriends over and they are complaining about having to eat menopause food. March turns around to fin
Jill Gilbert
This is a very light and breezy book by the author of Must Love Dogs, which I never read but I did see the movie with Janeane Garafalo and Uma Thurman about ten years ago.

This is the story of March, who is a forty-something mother of two who has decided to go back to college and finish the degree she abandoned to marry her husband. Her 18 yr old daughter finds out her mom's plans when they both sign up for an internship program at a local radio show.

The best parts about this novel were the fun,
Whitney Oaks
Originally I rated this three stars, but I changed my mind after I summed it up for my husband when he asked what I was reading. It was just so ho-hum.

March and Olivia, mother and daughter, are both attending college at the same time, just not at the same school. However, when forced to take on an intern position, they both choose the same radio station by coincidence. Olivia acts like a stuck-up, spoiled teenager who's parents pay for everything. {I don't understand this at all, especially sinc
Louise
Apr 08, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Claire Cook's third novel is funny, touching and will have you shaking your head in total understanding. Those of us with teens can relate to the daughter in this novel, 'Olivia', and her attitude toward her mother 'March'.

From back cover:

"There was a time when March Monroe thought she and her daughter, Olivia, would never really cut the cord-they'd just upgrade to a wireless connection. Now Olivia is heading off to college and March hasn't even told her that she's decided to continue her own hi
Amanda
Aug 10, 2007 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older chick lit fans and frustrated moms
Shelves: chicklit
If you want a quick, light read, this is probably a good choice. Though I still consider it a "chick lit" book, the main character is an older woman who decides to go back to college. Along the way, she interns at a radio station, fights with her daugher (sort of), gets mad at her husband (sort of), and crushes like a schoolgirl on a co-worker (sort of).

Though the read is okay, I didn't really connect with any of the characters. Maybe it's because my own age is in between that of the main chara
BarbN
Dec 31, 2014 BarbN rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a lightweight cute story about a woman and her daughter who end up back in school at the same time. The mom is utterly spineless, which made me angry, but I kept reading because I thought there would be some kind of climax where she learns to stand up for herself. She does finally show some spine on a couple of minor points but only after she has let the people involved walk over her so often that only a major showdown would have salvaged it for me- which never happens. Don't bother.
Gaile
Dec 14, 2015 Gaile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This book is hysterically funny. I laughed and laughed. However it was published in 2004 which was before the advent of much of the technology we know now. Be that as it maybe, this is a very slim book which will not long to read. A mother and a daughter go to college. The mother out of consideration of her daughter's feelings goes to a different. Then they find themselves in the same internship program. This is where the fun begins. (although I think the daughter insolent.)
IrishFan
This book by Claire Cook was much better than the last one of hers I read, Must Love Dogs. I was immediately drawn in to the story, liked the characters a lot. It wasn't a heavy book, but a light hearted and quick read. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon! I can relate a little bit to March, as I have 2 children, although they are younger than hers in the book. I would like to read a sequel to see what happens to March and Olivia, to see if their radio show continues on.
Sheilah
Jan 18, 2016 Sheilah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read Multiple Choice twice. The first time was when the book was released in 2012, and then again this past week. Claire Cook doesn't sugar-coat the relationship between mother Monroe and daughter Olivia, but she does make it hilariously enjoyable for the reader. Mother and daughter are at odds with each other, both going to college, and both vying for the same internship. What happens along the way is easily relatable to the reader even if you aren't going back to college or in a battle of ...more
Nancy Istenes
There is nothing terribly wrong with this book but nothing terribly outstanding. The premise has a lot of potential but really nothing happens. It's like reading the diary of a boring housewife. There isn't much humor or crazy situations. The plot could have easily been better developed.
Marta Moran Bishop
Claire Cook delights readers with another book, ‘Multiple Choices,’ is rich in charm, wit, and life. One can easily become immersed in the lives of each character as we follow their decisions. So true to life is the plot of this book that one can only imagine what the consequences would be if you were in the position of any of the characters in this charming book.

True to her usual elegant and character driven novels, ‘Multiple Choices,’ takes you deep into the hearts, minds, and emotions of each
Marcia
Jun 06, 2012 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I laughed over some of the mother-daughter encounters and smiled wistfully at some of March’s dreams and hopes not only for herself but also for her daughter. Lots of identifiable passages regarding older students and what they face when returning to college.

Quotes of Note (to me):

p. 5: I don’t want to finish my degree to get a better job. I want to take classes that are brainy and ethereal and totally impractical. I want to major in something that won’t get me anywhere in the real world. Someth
Sandra
I started to read this book but realised I just couldn't get into it. I just couldn't relate to the characters. Even though they were around my age, I am childless, so I couldn't relate to their issues.
Deb Jackson
Since this was an earlier one of CC's books, I am not sure how I missed it. I did enjoy it & she has a way of writing that makes one laugh out loud.. good writing & very good characters. Enjoyed the whole family setting, very typical that any parent could identify with.
Judy
Sep 13, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I went back to college while my son was a student at the same school so I could relate to some of the situations. I especially could relate to the problems that the main character March had with her quantum physics class. I had pretty much the same experience with a physical science class. I personally thought that relationship between the March and her husband was very realistic. Also realistic was the relationship between March and a faculty member at school. His attention ...more
Amy
Jun 10, 2014 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously??? I got to my designated 100 pages and threw the book out the window (not really I don't litter). There wasn't anything there. Waste of paper and words.
Victoria Drake
Jun 16, 2014 Victoria Drake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed listening to this audiobook. It was a fun time. I enjoyed the heck out of the characters, especially March.
Melanie Cannon
I like Claire Cook books, and I really like saying ... I like Claire Cookbooks. Her recurrent theme of reinvention is present in this book as it has been in all of the books I've read. A mom approaching midlife whose oldest daughter is off to college -- so she returns to college as well. She's been married to the same man for 20-years and just needs a little excitement. All Claire Cook books are easy to read, they seem like a familiar pair of pajamas. This is one of her early books and I think b ...more
MartyAnne
Jul 07, 2011 MartyAnne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Claire Cook's books for fun quick summer reads.

Im this book, (DD) Dear Daughter is off to school, and mom decides not to announce she is going back, too -- and its only a few pages before that plan backfires!

Each chapter begins with a witty multiple choice question to make you laugh.

The protagonist in this book is married happily, so it is one of a few Claire Cook novels that don't concern the search for new love.

The other thing most Claire Cook novels have are entrepreneurial protagon
Baglady
Jul 31, 2013 Baglady rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
light and mildly entertaining, introduces several plot lines but doesn't take anything to a resolution. while this might be an accurate reflection of real life, it is rather unsatisfying and ultimately boring when reading a book which does go from "start" to "finish". March, the mom/college student/life coach seems unable to recognize in herself the same characteristics she is coaching others to overcome. Olivia, the college-age college student is a brat who seems stuck at age 13; her character ...more
Eva
Aug 19, 2009 Eva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
March Monroe's daughter from hell is going off to college, unfortunately she's not going far enough away. She's much too close for comfort. Especially when March decides to go back to college herself and the two find themselves at the same radio station for their freshman internships. The failing radio station, desperate to put some spice in its line-up, give the mother-daughter spitting, hissing duo their own show. Now they can fight in public and get college credit for it.

If you've ever paren
Diane
Mar 20, 2015 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
she wrote "Must Love Dogs" and they made it into a movie - never read or saw....just a so-so book
  • Sweet Life
  • The Sex on the Beach Book Club
  • The Season of Second Chances
  • The Tiara Club
  • How To Be Cool
  • We Are Market Basket: The Story of the Unlikely Grassroots Movement That Saved a Beloved Business
  • The Single Wife
  • Live a Little
  • High Anxiety (Crazy, #3)
  • Skinny Dipping
  • Singletini
  • Happiness Sold Separately
  • Broken
  • Wifey / Smart Women
I wrote my first novel in my minivan at 45. At 50, I walked the red carpet at the Hollywood premiere of the adaptation of my second novel, Must Love Dogs, starring Diane Lane and John Cusack. I'm now the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of 14 books. If you have a buried dream, take it from me, it is NEVER too late!

I've reinvented myself once again by turning Must Lov
More about Claire Cook...

“I'd spent so many years doing things I didn't really want to do for people I didn't really like.” 1 likes
“Relationships, the ones that last anyway, are really an extended game of Let's Make A Deal.” 0 likes