A Pagan's Nightmare: A Novel

A Pagan's Nightmare: A Novel

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Ray Blackston presents a tongue-in-cheek look at contemporary culture as seen through the eyes of an unwary pagan screenwriter who writes a hit about the last unbeliever on Earth navigating in a thoroughly Christian world.
Published November 29th 2009 by FaithWords (first published October 25th 2006)

Kelly
I mentioned this book on GoodReads tonight and realized I'd never reviewed it here. I did review it on Amazon, though, so I'll paste that over with minor edits. A caveat: I had no idea it was Christian fiction when I found it at the library, or else I'd have just avoided it; the library sticker covered the FaithWords logo so I couldn't tell.

The main narrative of A Pagan's Nightmare is a dystopia in which the most legalistic form of Christianity runs the country. This is interspersed with a frame...more
Danielle
I randomly picked this book because of the title and the short description I read about it. I had no idea that this was supposed to be Christian fiction until I started listening and it said "Recorded Books Inspirational". Nevertheless this was a mildly humorous story that just got stupid after a while. Actually I don't really see how this is Christian fiction, it definitely didn't make me want to convert, the opposite actually. I also have a problem with the author's use of the word "Pagan". Pa...more
Joy
I stole this line from someone else's review: "This is religious satire, masquerading as a post-apocalyptic comedy, disguised as social commentary."

I chose this book (on CD) based on the unique premise - the last remaining pagan alive is trapped in a world where he is constantly punished after religious "zealots" take over the world. As an "unfortunate," he pays more for gas than believers, signs from God are written to him on billboards, and a reward is set for his capture and conversion. It's...more
John
While I was reading this book, I became nearly obsessed with it, because it is without a doubt the worst book I have ever read. It is a tour de force of shallow characterization, insipid plot development, and hackneyed writing. You've got to read this book to believe it. It is super, super awesome.
Marcia
While it wasn't Flabbergasted, Delirious Summer, or Lost in Rooville, A Pagan's Nightmare definitely allowed Blackston to explore his literary creativity. While I expected more humor and laugh-out-loud moments, I admire his attempt to poke fun at the religious commercialism that has exploded in past years. He also surprised me with the ending, in which he suggested that the story was "a non-Christian's comic allegory of hell disguised as apocalyptic spoof." I concluded the reading of the novel b...more
Cathrine Bonham
Tina
Dec 22, 2008 Tina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: religious people
Shelves: humour
If you have ever wanted to see 1984 done with a religious Big Brother, this is the book for you. (It sort of reads as a 1984 for dummies as it is.)I would have given this book 5 stars if the preachy wife would've kept her mouth shut at the end. The book made enough of a statement on its own merits, I did not need the invitational at the end. It did nothing to convince me. I remain an atheist not, as the author would have you believe, because of lack of clues, but rather because of lack of eviden...more
Gina
It actually wasn't bad. The story within the story was great, the outer story was ok. But it wasn't too preachy. I especially loved the parts about Southern religious ideals. He really got a lot of that right. But I do have one HUGE issue with the book. A Pagan is not someone who is just unchurced or a non Christian. Paganism is it's own religion & not just a catch all for anyone who doesn't believe in Jesus. And if Christian writers are going to use the term, they ought to use it correctly....more
Angela Kinder
I actually hated the book. While I couldn't put it down, I found it very insulting. In no way is the main character Pagan. In my opinion, he seemed more like an atheist. The story didn't seem to fit, and it was filled with missing plot holes and crudely drawn characters. Some Pagans might find it insulting for using the term when it has nothing to do with true Paganism and some Christians might find it insulting for alienating others because of their religion. But I guess you can't please everyb...more
Erin
Ray Blackston wrote one of my favorite novels ever in "Flabbergasted." His writing style is unlike *anything* I've seen before... and "A Pagan's Nightmare" was exceptionally unique. It is a world where the 'religious zealots' have taken over the world, changing the lyrics of pop songs and deporting 'pagans' to Cuba if they refuse to convert. It was written as a spoof, and a gentle reminder to be genuine rather than just religious, but it was pretty wacky.
Jonathan
I ended up liking in spite of its faults. This is one of those books within a book and the story is actually about the people around the story...if that makes sense. I enjoyed the little book, though some humor fell flat, I was genuinely interesting in what happened next. Im sure many people picked this up expecting one thing, only to get something else. I think thats hilarious. Shame they are too close minded to enjoy alternate ideas eh?
Kate
I bought this because I like the author. I enjoyed it but it feels like it goes on too long. I think it would have done better if it had been shorter. But the end really does justify the story, you just have to stick with it. If you start reading it, I highly recommend finishing it.
Marliss
This was kind of a fun book. It uses humor to make a very important point about how the world views Christians because of how some behave. I found myself reading to find out what happened, and then was caught unaware and impressed by the point that was revealed at the end.
Jill
May 01, 2008 Jill is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so far. It is compelling, funny, romantic, and makes you think about religion. It is so strange. I am not crazy about the flip flopping between the two story lines cause I get so into one story, then it flips to the other, but both are intestering.
Sherri
At first it was easy for me to become offended on the way that the main character views Christianity, and some of it was kinda cheesy. But a lot of the same garbage that is in the world today is also pretty cheesy...

I really enjoyed the ending.
Beth Miller
While well- written, the twist at the end doesn't justify all the blasphemy of the rest of the book. And although I don't usually spend my day's in worthwhile pursuits, I regret the time I spent reading this.
Jennifer Patrick
Started off funny and smart, then I realized too far into this book that it was actually pro-Christian propoganda. Go beat someone else over the head with your bible please!
mykl gysingr
An interesting plot line and intriguing way of writing it, but it took a while to get into it and didn't quite reach my expectations from reading Blackston's other books.
This was a great book that is a must read for any evangelical that needs to learn not to take themselves too seriously. (It IS supposed to be all about Jesus, right?)
Jenny
A bit odd, in a zany way. A curious perspective, but not bad. I think I'll be taking a break from this author for a while.
Christy
Stick with Flabbergasted. It was fantastic! This one was just silly.
Jen
Kind of interesting. Have heard his other books are better. Oh well.
Rita Jean
Very humorous book. I loved the parts set in Cuba and DisneyWorld.
Keiki Hendrix
Hillarious. For the reader confident in his/her doctrine.
Mark R.
Not as entertaining as Flabbergasted but decent.
Maryjanewallin
better than I thought it would be.
Karen
Had to pick it up for the title....
Tony
"Religious Howdy!"
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Flabbergasted A Delirious Summer Lost in Rooville Par for the Course Last Mango in Texas

“May God grant us the grace to laugh at ourselves.” 6 likes