Start by marking “Rachel's Garden (Pleasant Valley, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rachel's Garden (Pleasant Valley, #2)

Rachel's Garden (Pleasant Valley #2)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  501 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The next in a series of Amish-set novels in which a woman's close- knit community helps her through challenging times.

It has been almost a year since the Amish community of Pleasant Valley lost Ezra Brand to tragedy. Now his wife Rachel struggles to raise their three children and run their farm.

Rachel's friends and family have come forward to help. But all of their c
Published March 2nd 2010 by Berkley (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rachel's Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachel's Garden

Murder Freshly Baked by Vannetta ChapmanThe Shunning by Beverly  LewisWhen the Heart Cries by Cindy WoodsmallThe Covenant by Beverly  LewisThe Betrayal by Beverly  Lewis
Best of Amish Fiction
68th out of 245 books — 258 voters
The Shunning by Beverly  LewisThe Covenant by Beverly  LewisThe Betrayal by Beverly  LewisThe Fiddler by Beverly  LewisThe Parting by Beverly  Lewis
Amish Fiction
18th out of 120 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Juliet
In the second installment of Marta Perry's Pleasant Valley series we fallow Rachel in her journey with grief and love.

This author ties together a community with several reoccurring characters that make you feel like you are a citizen in their church.

I loved reading about Rachel's heart and how she grew as a person, child of God, wife and mother. Perry portrayed a fragile, stubborn woman and transformed her into a strong independent woman with a heart wide open.

Each difficulty the characters f
Patsy Mellen
I love reading books about the Amish. Don't know how true to life they are but if it's somewhat close I'm happy. Second book in the series of six.
Colette

This is the 2nd "series" of Amish books I've read (the other being Beth Wiseman's Daughters of the Promise) and I find them very refreshing and heartwarming. Sure they are predictable, you know the main characters will finally admit their love for each other and live happily ever after, but how they get there is what makes the stories so heartwarming. In this story, Rachel's husband died in a horrible accident which his best friend survived. Rachel is determined to save the family farm for her c
Dawn Leonard
This is the second book in Marta Perry's Pleasant Valley series about Rachel, a widow. She struggles to keep her farm and build her garden and its related business. Who is trying to sabotage her efforts? Good mystery to this book and a good story as well. Although this is part of the Pleasant Valley series, you can read one without reading the others. It was great to see Leah from the previous book in this as well and to see what has happened in her life since her book. To understand all of the ...more
Cynthia
I enjoyed the second book in this series as much as the first one. Lots of Amish detail, good characters, fun dialog in the dialect of the Amish of PA. (I assume - I don't really know first hand but I think the author did her research). Rather predictable romance development but I like that. If I am reading a romance novel I want the romance to flower despite the obstacles. I feel cheated when the author goes for the 'realistic' ending like the "Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart" "Jane Austen Ruined My L ...more
Title: RACHEL’S GARDEN
Author: Marta Perry
Publisher: Berkley Books
April 2010
ISBN: 978-0-425-23236-1
Genre: Inspirational/Amish romance

Rachel Brand is struggling to survive after the tragic death of her husband, Ezra. Now, Rachel and her three children are forced to make decisions they don’t want to make. Should they sell Ezra’s farm and move home with Rachel’s parents? Or should she try to keep Ezra’s dreams alive?

Rachel’s friends and family come forward to help. Ezra’s brothers are maintaining hi
Jane
Apr 07, 2010 Jane added it
Recommends it for: everyone who needs an uplift
Recommended to Jane by: Marta Perry herself
I loved this book and it came at a time I needed some encouragement and uplifting. This family sure had it's share of troubles. Rachel was dealing with loss of her husband, in-laws butting into her life and telling her what was best for her, parents trying to get her to move back home with kids, and much more. I have dealt to with all those problems except losing my husband and my kids are grown.
But boy could I relate to having in-laws try to rule my life while married.
Also Gideon, who was best
Jill
# 2 in the pleasant Valley Series. Rachel is a widow with 3 young children and a farm to run. Strange things are happening, is someone trying to get her to sell the farm. She would prefer to spend time in the garden. Her husband left her a gift..........the materials for a greenhouse that he and his friend had planned to build for her.
Susan
I love this series. Well written Amish fiction is my all time favorite genre. Not only was this entertaining but also soothing to my soul. I listened to the commercial audio book provided to Talking Books for the Blind. The performance was excellent and enchanting. I listen to all I can by this author.
Rena Glubay
I like that it is an easy read. Pretty predicable in where it will end up but the journey is good.
Pelican Rapids
Second read
Maryn
I'm almost a little embarrassed to say that I read this. I'm not (ever) a romance reader, but this is the second year I've helped judge the local Romance Writers' Guild contest and this is one of the books. Although I knew what was going to happen right from the beginning, the story was good, the dialogue believable and the portrayal of the Amish people was flattering. I'm actually tempted to go back and read the first book from the series...but don't tell, okay?
Ann
Heartwarming story. I love reading Marta Perry's books. Rachel's Garden does not disappoint.
Carolyn E
Nov 02, 2011 Carolyn E rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
As always, Rachel's Garden is a great story. This is book 2 in Marta Perry's Pleasant Valley series.
Danielle
Marta perry has outdone herself again on this lovely series. I am hooked from page one on this series. Rachel has lost the one true love of her life and how Marta writes about her finding love again from the most unexpected person she thought is truly magnificent. I recommend this series.
Denise
This is the second in a series by Marta Perry. It is about an Amish widow who loves to grow things. Her husband died working with his best friend Gideon. Gideon offers to build the greenhouse her husband had promised to build. Will Rachel be able to accept his help?

An interesting Amish story.
Lori
I love to read Marta Perry's Amish novels. I didn't read Book One, so I wasn't sure if I would understand the characters in Book Two. Marta reintroduces you to the characters & history from the first book which makes it easy to follow.
Ashley
This book was almost exactly like the first. It had the same love story struggle with the same predictable ending. Rachel was not as strong of a character as Leah and I felt the first half of the book was repetitive.
Susan Moxley
This book was very good. I enjoyed the struggle that Rachel had with her family about her decisions. I loved they way that she handled them also.
Rachel
This is a well-written Amish novel. The characters are well-developed, and I enjoyed the storyline.
Kendra Neal
Really great book! Forgiveness and Guilt were the topics of the book and it was really good to read!!
Marg
Apr 21, 2011 Marg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: amish
Excellent book. This series is awesome. Characters and story very believable. I recommend this series
Nancy Carty Lepri
This is a totally heartwarming, delightful book. Check out my review at ReaderToReader.com
Kristen
I absolutely loved this book. Looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
Stephanie
An Amish widow learns about forgiving herself and others and finds new love
Carol
lovely story and great character development. ....
Michelle
awsome author... had a hard time putting the book down.
Tricia Cheung
Nice easy read. Sweet stories in this series.
couldn't even finish it, boring and predictable
Jenna
I liked it better second time around.
  • Never Far from Home (Miller Family, #2)
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • Forgiven (Sisters of the Heart, #3)
  • An Honest Love (Hearts of Middlefield, #2)
  • An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Healing (Kentucky Brothers, #2)
  • The Harvest of Grace (Ada's House, #3)
81993
Marta Perry is a Pennsylvania-based author of over 35 novels, many of them inspirational romances. She uses her rural Pennsylvania life and her Pennsylvania Dutch heritage in writing her books, especially in her Pleasant Valley Amish series for Berkley Books and her new Amish-set suspense series for HQN Books.

Marta and her husband live in a centuries-old farmhouse in a quiet central Pennsylvania v
More about Marta Perry...

Pleasant Valley (7 books)
  • Leah's Choice (Pleasant Valley, #1)
  • Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3)
  • Sarah's Gift (Pleasant Valley, #4)
  • Katie's Way (Pleasant Valley, #5)
  • Hannah's Joy (Pleasant Valley, #6)
  • Naomi's Christmas (Pleasant Valley, #7)
Hide in Plain Sight (The Three Sisters Inn, #1) Leah's Choice (Pleasant Valley, #1) Murder in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #1) Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3) Vanish in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #2)