Start by marking “In the Graveyard of Empires: America's War in Afghanistan” as Want to Read:
In the Graveyard of Empires: America's War in Afghanistan

In the Graveyard of Empires: America's War in Afghanistan

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  547 ratings  ·  55 reviews
“How we got to where we are in Afghanistan.”—Matthew Kaminski, Wall Street Journal

This definitive account of the American experience in Afghanistan “[zeroes] in on what went awry after America’s successful routing of the Taliban in late 2001” (Michiko Kakutani, New York Times) to explain how a growing sanctuary for insurgents in Pakistan and a collapsing government in Kab
Published April 12th 2010 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published July 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about In the Graveyard of Empires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Graveyard of Empires

Will Byrnes
Seth G. Jones is a “senior political scientist” at the RAND corporation (as in Research AND Development, not that other Rand). He worked in the Defense Department for a couple of years, and has taught classes on counter-terrorism issues since 2002 at Georgetown and since 2005 at the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School. He has also written on nation building. His stated goal in this book is “ to understand the motivations of the key actors and to assess what factors contributed to the rise of Afghanis ...more
Milton Soong
A intro level overview to the mess we have gotten to in Afghanistan. It comes in from a journalist point of view instead that of a historian (imaging a long form writeup in the New York Times and you won't be far off the mark.

The book opens with some historical background on past empires and their travails in Afghanistan (Alexander the Great, British in 19th Century, Soviets in the 20th). It then goes from the initial US invasion in 2001 until about 2009 (therefore it does not cover revent devel
Gail Cooke

While much has surely been written about the war in Afghanistan Seth G. Hughes who serves as an advisor and plans officer for the commanding general of U.S. Special Operations Forces in Afghanistan adds new dimensions to an assessment of our country’s longest war since Vietnam.

Based upon interviews with countless military, diplomats, and experts in national security plus information from declassified government documents IN THE GRAVEYARD OF EMPIRES delivers a clear, concisely rendered account
Andrew B.
The grim title and the KOd Soviet tank on the cover are misleading cliches to begin with. I imagine that the publisher went with the title/cover so Jones' work might find a place in the political nonfiction genre. But Jones is a Rand scholar, and he writes like one. The work is technical, heavily footnoted, and not exactly a breeze to read. The text is basically a very long Foreign Affairs article and will only be read for professional development.

The tank and the "Graveyard" epithet also misre
Ed
Jones is good on the structure of the Afghan opposition to first the USSR and now the US. This is a useful although not essential addition to the literature. Based on good access to a number of important sources including ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad, Jones examines what went wrong in Afghanistan and what might have gone right if the effort there hadn't been sidetracked to invade and try to occupy Iraq.

The U.S. mission to the inhospitable mountains and plains of this Central Asian redoubt shows
Jon
Really fascinating book about the various empires throughout history which have tried to conquer Afghanistan, only to be repelled. The basis of this historical lesson is to give context to America's current quaqmire. Book is relatively short in relation to the substance. It does not spend much time regarding Alexander the Great 3rd century BC, the British Empire of the 19th Century, and the Soviets failure in the 1980's, the author simply gives you a quick summary. The book's intentions is to sp ...more
Siria
This is a useful survey of American involvement in Afghanistan since 2001, if one which didn't surprise me with any of its analyses. The main reasons for the insurgency in Afghanistan were the Bush administration largely ignoring it once the Iraq invasion began, the historically low troop levels, and the wariness of various NATO members to commit forces outside of urban areas like Kabul. The thing which Jones covered that was most interesting to me was his analysis of the wider regional politics ...more
Joseph Stieb
It's really hard to find a book about Iraq or Afghanistan that is comprehensive but concise enough to assign to a class. Seth Jones achieves this for the latter country in this interesting, thorough, and readable book for the period of US involvement in Afghanistan up until the Obama troop surge in 2009. He has a great eye for the right amount of depth and does a great job chronicling the major mistakes of the war in Afghanistan so far. The biggest problems that he points out are the light footp ...more
Greg
Seth Jones, and the Rand Institute, in The Graveyard Of Empires, have a grim prediction for the United State in Afghanistan, and how little the U.S. has learned from previous British and Russian campaigns in the country, but also some enlightening points like empowering elders. An excellent read!
Paul Miller
The best history of post-9/11 Afghanistan and the U.S.-led war there. The afterword is an excellent synopsis of why the war matters and how to finish the job.
Jerome
A brief,useful, though not essential recap of Afghanistan's military history. He identifies the war's many successes and failures. Mainly, I was looking for some info on the 2001 portion, but there wasn't loads of new info there. It is technical, heavily footnoted, and challenging for the average reader that knows little about the region, or war in general.

Jones also exposes Pakistan's frustrating role in the Afghan wars. A number of political dilemmas create a political situation in which Pakis
Phoenix
Not much to ad to the previous reviews which have pretty much covered most of the necessary groundwork. Seth Jones took a couple of hard knocks for his work, however it is really not a bad piece of historiographical analysis and serves as an excellent primer for anyone wanting a scope of the region and its problems.

The shortcomings are related to the fact that there are other works out there, which seem to do the same job equally well if not better. Rashid's Descent into Chaos: The U.S. and the
S.
although ideally as reviewers or whatnot we should treat each book as a separate and unique creation, unfortunately I've just completed much of the Kaplan back catalog, and this book just pales in comparison to Soldiers of God. Soldiers of God is firsthand reporting with an embedded reporter inside a mujahideen team in Afghanistan. Graveyard of Empires is a foot-noted, analytically backed up, perfectly supported by academic cross-reference... and somehow, perfectly, misses the point. hmm even th ...more
Kevin
I first saw Seth Jones on an amazing PBS Frontline program called Obama's War (streaming for free online at pbs.org) with Martin Smith. The video itself represented some incredible documentary journalism--Smith at a couple points almost gets blown up by surprise mortar fire. Jones was one of the commentators. He seemed to have some interesting takes on what has and has not gone well with the US' involvement in Afghanistan, and this book did not disappoint.

Its main focus is an in-depth history of
Brent
This is a solid book that every citizen who wishes to be informed on America's conflict in Afghanistan should read. It is written in a straightforward manner sans unwieldy acronyms that burdens other texts on military strategy and current operations. Jones does an excellent job of providing just enough historical context without getting too far down into the weeds.

Although he appears to contradict himself, I believe his conclusions are essentially correct. Although he does not address in any con
Grey
Someone asked me last week what made Seth Jones think he was an expert on Afghanistan (the asker, of course, considers himself an expert). I think the answer is: nothing. Jones doesn't pose as an expert, but as an historian and analyst, and he does a very good job.

He's been to Afghanistan a number of times, interviewed a wide variety of people directly involved in the planning and prosecution of the war, and conducted extensive research. He then simply tells the story of where we are and how we
Bryan
I learned a lot by reading this book. Since I'm by no means an expert in this area, I can't challenge the authors facts or conclusions. I can say that it is a well put together, well thought out book. If you want to know more about the situation in Afghanistan and how it deteriorated up to 2008, then read this book.
Tom
I really wanted to like Seth Jone's "In the Graveyard of Empires". His opening was tremendous, as he covers thousands of years of Afghan history through their wars with the Greeks, Indians, British and Russians. The beginning of the main work on the US intervention in the region was strong as well, but seemed to get drier and more redundant as it went on. By the time that I hit the 2/3rds mark I was regretting ever reading the book.

In the past year I had Kaplan's "Soldiers of God" and Tapper's "
Maryanne Khan
The Graveyard referred to is Afghanistan where various Empires such as, most notably, the British Raj and the Soviets failed to overcome local resistance. The point Seth Jones is making is that the failure of American policy in Afghanistan is commonly thought of in terms of a) its ethnic makeup and b) 'greed'9meaning corruption at all levels.)

He adds two other perspectives: weak governance and religious ideology which compound the other two ways of thinking about Afghanistan.

If you want to know
Chrissy
This is a good book about our war in Afghanistan with some of Afghanistan's long war history weaved in to show parallels and give some insight as to what does and doesn't work in that country. I found the beginning of the book a little slow-going. This isn't a book that you can't wait to read and stay up all night reading because you can't put it down. And it's not meant to be. The book was meant to give info on the current war while also delving a little bit into how the key players got to this ...more
Bijan
This is a good book. I learned a lot from it. Read it together with Coll's Ghost Wars.
Charis
A clever title and a good, albeit, overwhelming history of Afghanistan and assessment of our current position there. The author is careful not to take too many sides, providing a balance of mistakes by many players and suggestions that sometimes seem quite obvious but too frequently are ignored.

I got lost more than once in the deluge of names and dates, but that is typical for any Middle Eastern history. One very excellent chapter on the ideology of insurgencies is a must-read for any historian
Marie Gase
This is a very detailed book. I read it to get a better understanding of what happened previously in Afghanistan so I could better understand what we are doing there today. It was very good for this purpose. I didn't need all the exacting detail so I did skim portions of the book. I do feel that I have a much better understanding of Taliban, al Qaida, why they are so pissed and what we are doing there and why it is so hard. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a better understanding of what ...more
David Mclaughlin
Excellent account of the war in Afghanistan from 2001-2008. Jones provides an analysis of the various factors (many of which could have been avoided/mitigated with a different strategy in 2002-2003) that lead to the rise of the Afghan insurgency that we still face on the battlefield today. Would highly recommend this both to people familiar with the conflict as well as those who are fairly new to subject.
Mike
The chapters covering the history of Afghanistan and the current war there are extremely thorough and densely packed with names and dates. That section was slow going even for me, and I'm used to dense historical material. However, Seth Jones really shines in the sections where he discusses the historical context of insurgencies, and places Afghanistan in that context. His analysis and recommendations make for interesting reading.
Nathaniel
An in-depth look at the Afghan situation. Gives you a short history of the country and a long tale of the conflict. I feel like I know more than most TV commentator after reading it. You must be interested in the subject, otherwise the length of the book might be a little discouraging. Overall great analysis of the situation. Gives you the how and why things the multi-national coalition attempted to do either failed or succeeded.
Gordon
A very good review of the myriad of factors influencing the situation in Afghanistan as of early 2009. Very good detail for anyone deploying or working on the region. The summary chapter is anti-climatic as the recommendations are not comprehensive and were already being incorporated in ISAF and the 2008 USG strategic review (and are included in the 2009 US Administration strategic guidance - Mar 09 White Paper).
Christopher
Provides a good account of the recent history of Afghanistan giving the reader a sense of how we got to where we are today. The systems analysis of the insurgency and possible solutions are useful. Jones' defines what he means and then describes Afghanistan with those definitions in mind. It is an extremely well researched book and Id recommend it to anyone interested in the war there.
Matthew
This book is a must read for Military Officers at the operational or strategic level who are deploying or currently deployed to Afghanistan. Also a good read for anyone looking to understand the current complexities and history of Afghanistan. The book will help you understand why we are where we are in Afghanistan today - and will also boldly highlight the errors of those who made them.
Mof
The complexity of the situation and the cost of success are clearly outlined. The insurgency is not only the Taliban and Al Q'aida. There is also the Haqqani Network, Hazb-i-Islami led by Gulbuddin Halmatyar, Tehreek e Nafaz e Shariat e Mohammadi and other tribes.
In addition, Pakisatni support of US efforts is hampered by their concern about Indian support of the Karzai government.
  • The Accidental Guerrilla: Fighting Small Wars in the Midst of a Big One
  • Afghanistan
  • Afghanistan: A Short History of Its People and Politics
  • Afghanistan: A Cultural and Political History
  • Descent into Chaos: The United States & the Failure of Nation Building in Pakistan, Afghanistan & Central Asia
  • Afgantsy: The Russians In Afghanistan, 1979-1989
  • Seeds of Terror: How Heroin Is Bankrolling the Taliban and al Qaeda
  • The Wars of Afghanistan: Messianic Terrorism, Tribal Conflicts, and the Failures of Great Powers
  • Counterinsurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice
  • The Punishment of Virtue: Inside Afghanistan After the Taliban
  • The Gamble: General David Petraeus and the American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2006-2008
  • Soldiers of God: With Islamic Warriors in Afghanistan and Pakistan
  • The Longest War: A History of the War on Terror and the Battles with Al Qaeda Since 9/11
  • The Most Dangerous Place: Pakistan's Lawless Frontier
  • The Great Gamble: The Soviet War in Afghanistan
  • The Bear Went Over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan
  • Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam
  • The Last Full Measure: Death in Battle Through the Ages
Hunting in the Shadows: The Pursuit of al Qa'ida since 9/11 Counterinsurgency in Afghanistan How Terrorist Groups End: Lessons for Countering al Qa'ida Afghanistan's Local War: Building Local Defense Forces A Persistent Threat: The Evolution of al Qa'ida and Other Salafi Jihadists