Start by marking “The Desire of Ages (Conflict of the Ages Series)” as Want to Read:
The Desire of Ages (Conflict of the Ages Series)

The Desire of Ages (Conflict of the Ages Series)

The Desire of Ages (Volume 3 of the Conflict of the Ages series) is Ellen White’s classic on the life of Jesus—the One who stands at the center of all human history. No one else has had such a profound influence on Planet Earth as Jesus Christ. In this book the author does not set forth the events of Jesus’ life in strict chronological order, but she presents Him as the On ...more
Published January 28th 2005 by Pacific Press Publishing Association (first published 1898)

joy in wonderland
Jan 18, 2009 joy in wonderland rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who want to know more about Jesus and find salvation
Recommended to joy in wonderland by: i think pastor doug
Shelves: classic-books
"one of best book ever there is in this world!"

i started reading this book... for about a year and have this battle, struggle and i cant just finish it--- (sigh) just the thought makes me sad, whenever i read each chapter... i kinda stop and reflect, there's so much to grasp in it---, i want to finish it & i would, the next thing you'll know i have it over my read shelf! :)

may God put strength and enlighten my mind with this wonderful book inspired and given by Him!

"In the hearts of
Alexandria Lewis
I read this book once a year. The last time I visited the Library of Congress, I learned that they believe it to be one of the best books about the life of Christ, aside from the Bible.
Joseph Lindsay
Mar 23, 2009 Joseph Lindsay rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most powerful books I have ever read! In fact the curator for religious books at the Library of Congress says that this is the best portrayal of the life of Jesus he has ever come across. Read it! If you don't have the time or money get it listen to the audio book http://vegemedia.net/audios/egw/mp3Li... Then buy it and read it. There is just so much to take in that you'll never get tired of going over it!
Amy
Jul 21, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
My favorite all-time spiritual read aside from the source - the Bible. Reading this book is like jumping into a time machine and living the years of Christ's life. So thankful for this author.
Jimin
Dec 18, 2012 Jimin rated it it was amazing
The desire of ages is a book about God. This book gave us many means. This book said we should prepare for future of us by praying to God. This devotional classic tells the life story of the greatest spiritual leader the world has ever known—Jesus Christ. It does not merely set down a series of remote events; it presents the meaning of them so vividly that you will feel like you are an eyewitness to what is being described.

I would recommend this book a thousand times over. This book made me trul
Steve
The version I read many years ago was called "The Desire of Ages". An amazingly great book. The search for truth never ends, and this is a great addition in the quest. My grandmother gave this to me when I was very young, and it sat among my books unread for over a decade. I promised her I would read it, and I will never regret keeping that promise.
Marna Hand
Mar 18, 2013 Marna Hand rated it it was amazing
After the Bible, this book has been the most important book to me to getting close to Christ. You will absolutely get chills reading this book on the life of Christ, & you WILL have a deeper relationship with our Savior!
Matt
Dec 14, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing
The whole of sacred history is centered on one individual, Jesus Christ, either through the prophecies and sacrificial meanings of the Old Testament or the good news of His life and message in the New. The Desire of Ages is the seminal work of Ellen G. White’s Conflict of Ages series in which the birth, life, ministry, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ is examined in great detail to show the love of God for man. Through over 800 pages of wonderful, engaging writing the 33 years of when the ...more
Christopher
Apr 21, 2010 Christopher rated it it was amazing
The 3rd book in Ellen G. White's Conflict of the Ages series though actually published 2nd. The Desire of Ages takes us from the expectant hope of a Messiah, His birth and how the majority of Israel missed it, his life of ministry in teaching humanity who God is, His passion as he willingly laid down His life to pay the price of our redemption, and lastly his resurrection and ascension to the right hand of God's throne in heaven. No other book has so thoroughly and faithfully dealt with Jesus's ...more
Peach
Oct 31, 2012 Peach rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely love this book. I read another version of this book called Man of Peace. It took me about two months to read because it was indeed lengthy. I would read as much chapters as I can daily as part of my devotions. It helped me grow spiritually and I also learned a lot. It tells the whole story of Jesus' human life but also sharing important lessons. I've learned to be patient, humble, and have a different outlook on my life. I definitely recommend this book:)
Phelicia
Aug 16, 2013 Phelicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is at least my third reading of this amazing book, and definitely a blessing every time I read it. No other book outside of the Holy Bible reveals to love of God for fallen mankind as well as this book. I was touched, amazed, and found myself weeping as I read of my Savior's great sacrifice for me. Read this book, fall in love with Jesus again or for the first time.
Jimmy Nyakora
Jan 02, 2013 Jimmy Nyakora rated it it was amazing
The Life of Jesus through the eyes of a mother, wife, christian and servant of God.
The Love of God through His Son is so vividly depicted as to capture the imagination and the heart. Truly, God is Love!
Amanda
Dec 11, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it
This is a lenghty book on the story of Jesus' short life and the lessons he taught. I loved the concept, but it isn't exactly light reading.
Herian Villaruz
Jan 08, 2012 Herian Villaruz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ellen-g-white
tears.
Valeria
Mar 20, 2017 Valeria rated it it was amazing
Do you want to understand the Bible more? Do you want to get a glimpse behind the curtain? This book has opened my eyes in ways I haven't even imagined! Absorb from its pages the precious truths, the hope and love of Jesus!
Dan Walker
Dec 25, 2013 Dan Walker rated it it was amazing
This is the definitive story of the life of Christ. The author makes Jesus' life come alive in a story format that portrays Him as real in a very believable way. However the author does not gloss over the lessons that Jesus sought to bring home to the hearts of His listeners. They needed to make dramatic changes if their world was going to survive. Jesus wants us to apply those same lessons to our lives, and with the same urgency.

In fact, less than a generation later Jerusalem was destroyed viol
Robyn
Jun 16, 2012 Robyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book around April 2005, took some breaks of setting it aside & then picking it up again. I *finally* finished it in March 5, 2014! It was a gift from some friends at the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Amarillo, after one of their "Prophecy Seminars" they hosted (with Leo Schreven [Am I spelling that right?] as the featured guest lecturer), which stirred my interest. I agree with one of the other reviews that states this book "isn't exactly light-reading". Sister Ellen ...more
Calum
Dec 07, 2016 Calum rated it really liked it
Yep, they don't just call it the greatest extra-biblical, literary work on the life of Christ for nothin!
Adrian
Oct 23, 2015 Adrian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book truly breaks down the entirety of Jesus Christ. EGW writes in a way that the lessons that Jesus taught both directly and indirectly show his love and mercy for his fellow man. Each chapter was packed with biblical insight into the character of God revealed through Christ. Personally this book has helped me grow spiritually in ways that I thought weren't possible. To say I recommend this book is an understatement. If you want to understand who and what Jesus Christ is then this book is ...more
Dave
Aug 25, 2007 Dave rated it really liked it
In my opinion, this book is the 5th best book ever written about the life of Christ. (After the four gospels, of course). I first read it in a New Testament class during my sophomore year in high school many years ago. It helped draw me closer to the central figure of my life. Ellen White wrote this book in the closing years of the 19th century, yet it is timeless. I could have easily rated this book 5 stars - wish there was a way to go 4-1/2 stars... I knocked it down one star because of the sc ...more
Cynthia
This is the third book in the "Conflict of the Ages" series by Ellen G. White and is the longest. It is truly a classic about the life and death of Jesus. I recommend this to anyone who is new to the Christian faith, or perhaps just in need of a review of why Jesus plays the important role in He does in your life and the world. The words are love-soaked. If you were intrigued by Mel Gibson's movie "The Passion of Christ" then you are ready to read the Bible-centered version called "The Desire of ...more
Daniela
Dec 03, 2013 Daniela rated it it was amazing
Un gran retrato de la vida de Jesús. Al leerlo paralelamente con los Evangelios encuentras esos paralelismos y esa extensión necesaria para conocerlo realmente. Hay pasajes que son sublimes, no solo por el contenido de ellos, sino por el estilo de escritura. Aunque es una lectura densa, vale cada día pasado. Cada párrafo es como una pequeña estructura que puede ser independiente por sí misma, al llevar, cada uno, la idea central del libro: dar a conocer a Jesús.
Darlene Roy
Oct 31, 2011 Darlene Roy rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on the life of Jesus - it takes the reader on a journey from his birth to his assension into heaven with the promise of his second coming. It is very in depth and you feel like you are there along with the disciples watching and learning. This book is also a deep read and it took me time to get through it but is was time well spent. I would reccomend this as a must read for anyone interested in the life of Jesus.
Scarlet Drakonin
Mar 17, 2011 Scarlet Drakonin rated it it was ok
I don't have the exact read start and finish dates on many books I have read this year. The dates are approximated, as I have been in & out of the hospital, and on bed rest, and read 2-5 books a day depending on the book & length and my ability to focus. All dates are approximated, by month.
Debra Pigeon
Jul 23, 2008 Debra Pigeon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
A very good book about the life of Christ. I will re-read this book. It is better than the movie "the passion of the Christ". she deals with from how Christ was raised to how he got the victory in Gethsemane before the cross to His ascension, it exspounds on the Bible and shows the reader Christ in all His glory. Awesome.
Terry
Mar 27, 2010 Terry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
I have reread this book several times. Each time it inspires and reinforces my Christian experience. It is without doubt the best book written on the lied of Jesus Christ. If you read this book, it will change your life. This time I listened to an audio version called Humble Hero. It is available in mp3 format and free to download.
Bezi
Nov 18, 2016 Bezi rated it it was amazing
An inspiring and insightful harmony of the gospels written to motivate simply by illustrating a one-time only situation of an eternal God living the temporal life of a humble carpenter from Nazareth. The author portrays Jesus in a beautiful and tangible way drawing hearts and challenging the thoughts of all who behold him.
Brenda Mohammed
This is a remarkable and detailed account of the Life of Jesus Christ and what he means to the world.
THe author, Ellen White was well versed with her Bible and explains it all in simple language.
This book should be read by all. We all need to read it. THe world should read it.
Barbara J Leyba
Mar 22, 2014 Barbara J Leyba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

Such great hope in the risen Saviour. The whole human race needs to read this book....
I just thank God for His chosen prophet Ellen White......she was an extraordinary woman, to be able to write these truths, by inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
Tunisia
May 21, 2007 Tunisia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a closer relationship with Jesus.
This is a great book for devotions, I would read the passages in the Bible first, then read the chapters in this book that went along with it. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to know Jesus better.
Aiossa's Senior 5...: Alyse Teschke book review #2 1 9 Oct 18, 2012 06:24PM
  • The Incredible Power of Prayer
  • A Thousand Shall Fall: The Electrifying Story of a Soldier and His Family Who Dared to Practice Their Faith in Hitler's Germany
  • Re Entry
  • Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith
  • Survival Japanese: How to Communicate without Fuss or Fear Instantly! (Japanese Phrasebook)
  • Ten Commandments Twice Removed
  • Russia at War: 1941-1945
  • In Six Days
  • At Jesus' Feet: The Gospel According to Mary Magdalene
  • National Sunday Law
  • Project Sunlight
  • The Letter to the Romans
  • Icons of Evolution: Science or Myth? Why Much of What We Teach About Evolution Is Wrong
  • Competition Demystified: A Radically Simplified Approach to Business Strategy
  • PhD Chapter 2: Life is tough and then you graduate
  • Sailing Between the Stars: Musings on the Mysteries of Faith
  • The Father Heart of God: God Loves You, Learn to Know His Compassionate Touch
  • Ten Stupid Things Men Do to Mess Up Their Lives
In brief, she was a woman of remarkable spiritual gifts who lived most of her life during the nineteenth century (1827-1915), yet through her writings she is still making a revolutionary impact on millions of people around the world. During her lifetime she wrote more than 5,000 periodical articles and 40 books; but today, including compilations from her 50,000 pages of manuscript, more than 100 t ...more
More about Ellen G. White...

“The soul that is yielded to Christ becomes His own fortress, which He holds in a revolted world, and He intends that no authority shall be known in it except His own. A soul thus kept in possession by the heavenly agencies is impregnable to the assaults of Satan.” 12 likes
“Christ was treated as we deserve that we may be treated as He deserves. He was condemned for our sins, in which He had no share, that we might be justified by His righteousness, in which we had no share. He suffered the death which was ours, that we might receive the life which was His. 'By His stripes we are healed.” 11 likes