Start by marking “The Chimera's Curse (The Companions Quartet, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Chimera's Curse (The Companions Quartet, #4)

The Chimera's Curse (The Companions Quartet #4)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,615 ratings  ·  69 reviews
It's a long hot summer. Temperatures are soaring and a strange creature has been spotted on Dartmoor. Connie Lionheart and her friends soon discover that the creature is a chimera. When it attacks Connie, leaving her gravely wounded, Col and Rat must rescue her from hospital: she needs treatment beyond the knowledge of mortals. But a weakened Connie is easy prey for the ev ...more
Published September 6th 2007 by Oxford University Press

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottBeezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary
Great Books For Young Girls
22nd out of 96 books — 65 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
Mythology fiction
35th out of 166 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Col Clamworthy, it was about freaking time!

Call me a hopeless romantic, but i have been waiting and waiting for something, um, happen (?!) between Col and our lovely heroine, Connie. in the last chapter he finally asks her out, so i was a happy camper. I know, i know- I'm pathetic. (What would their name be: Colnie? hehehe...)
Wow- I finished 2 books today. it took me approx. 5 hours to read the enite thing- with breaks to eat and goof around.
it was pretty great- the final showdown was a
وای! اصلا فکر نمی کردم اینطوری تموم بشه.
با اینکه نسبت به سلیقه ی من زیادی ملو بود، ولی به خاطر خلاقیت پایانش بهش پنج دادم. پایان طوری بود که آرزو کنم کاش یه جلد دیگه هم در مورد آینده ی دور داستان وجود داشت:)
Ahmad Sharabiani
The chimera’s curse (The Companions Quartet #3), 2008, Julia Golding
Characters: Connie Lionheart (11 year old girl), Colin (Col) Clamworthy (11 year old boy), Skylark (A young Pegasus), Evelyn Lionheart (Connie's Aunt), Lavinia Clamworthy (Col's Grandmother), Aneena Nuruddin (Connie's best friend), Jane Benedict (Connie's best friend), Mack Clamworthy (Col's father), Dr. Brock (Society member), Jessica Moss (Society member), Ivor Coddrington (Society member), Shirley Masterson (Society member),
Great story

Great ending! Love the characters and the suspense in the whole book. Great writing and many fantastic creatures to learn about!
So, first of all you should read these books. I really like them, so just ignore the amount of stars i decided to give. For those of you, who cant just ignore them i'm going to explain ir to you: I still love conni and col and all the other charactera from all the four books. and i still read the chimera's curse from time to time. But there are a few things I dont really like about this book.
Sometimes it is confusing. I just didn't always get in the first time what the author was trying to tell
I did really enjoy this series. I guess that is evident in the fact that I read all four books in a relatively short period of time. The characters are eclectic and memorable.
Connie fights in the final showdown with (once again) all of humanity at stake. Despite some "No one understands me" rebellious moments that slightly annoyed me, this last book had an interesting high paced story sequence with some well deserved and anticipated kiddie romance.

In particular, I enjoyed following Connie's growth throughout the series and her maturity at the end. I also loved the new fiery boy character we are introduced to. Overall, this conclusion was an enjoyable read with a ful
Final Smack Down, Col and Connie, Kullervo, Universal Power and Such :D :D :D :D
Connie's tale is about to come to an end. After dealing with a lot of her personal issues in book three, she continues on a rather darker journey in the fourth tale. Within this tale, Connie has to deal with a Chimera. Along with the Chimera, the final conflict with Kullervo must be handled. This is done in a fairly original way which may leave us open for more of a storyline in the future.

My thoughts:
Although predictable, this has been a wonderful story. I love the ecology themes that a
On a recent cruise, I came across this book while perusing the library. It is a young adult science fiction/fantasy book. The book was an excellent read from start to finish. The layers the author put in this book was deep and complex. Of course, you should read the first book in this series to understand what was happening but I enjoyed the challenge of putting together all of the stories.

What I enjoyed most about the story was how it was told encompassing the environment, understanding how th
This book is about following your heart, love and friendship. Connie is the girl who is extraordinary and has a best friend Col the companion to pegasus Skylark. He likes Connie a lot but only just like best friend but unfortunately and happily for him he gets into a championship for flying on his pegasus. They have 2 best friend named Anina and Jane. Anina is full of crazy ideas and Jane is a shy but they are both good friends and will always be there when needed though they don't know anythin ...more

So... the last book of the series. The whole series was pretty okay for me. The series would probably get a 3.5 stars rating out of me. Nothing more, nothing less.

It has been a few months since the weather incident. The Society has carried on peacefully. One day, when Connie and her friends were out in the forest, Connie is attacked by a Chimera. A chimera is basically a mash-up of three different creatures: A lion, a snake, and a goat. Anyway, the Chimera's presene is a signal to all Society

I loved this book so much! A thrilling end to the Companions Quartet, this complex mush of personal problems with her family and with Col, problems with the society, an amazing amount of pain and suffering, new powers, new friends, new family, the perfect little touch of romance, and a horrific realisation, Connie's adventure has never been so exiting.

I love this book and the rest of its series, because while you are deep in the pages of the book, you actually believe that you are Connie. It is
This is the conclusion to the Companions Quartet series. I enjoyed it and was pleased with the ending. If you haven't read the others in the series, read them in order. They are:
Secret of the sirens
The Gorgon's gaze
Mines of the minotaur

It is a series about a group of people who are companions to mythical beasts. The primary character is Connie, who is a universal companion, or, a companion to all mythical beasts. Her friends a companions to a Pegasus, a kraken, wood sprites, dragons, and more
Vicki Johnson
For those who love fantasy

If mythical creatures are your taste, then this series is for you. Connie takes you and her friends non an amazing adventure.
joseph southworth
Love the whole series!!!!

I loved it and my children will to. I will read this whole series over again. I can't wait for more books like this.
Haylee Wilbur

I think everyone should read this little series of books. I couldn't put the bok down until I finally finished it and now I want to know what happens next. I soooo wish that there was a fifth book:P. And that's a lot coming from a kid who isn't supposed to like reading because it's "lame" or whatever. But I sooo wish you would have made a fifth book instead of starting a new series, but I will still read the universals series. Hopefully I'll find out what happens to C
Tana Lovegood of Dumbledore's Army✞~ Rogers/America
A really great book! It has one of the best endings i have ever read and i am sad the series is over.
Amazing book I loved the ending hope theirs another one coming out
Scott Williams
Scout The Dog
I read these during a brief spell of Percy Jackson withdrawl, when I was awaiting the next book to be released. This series was fun, a light sort of read. The Chimera's Curse was definitely the best of the four. I think the best way to describe this series would be to compare it to a super fun and exciting, yet somewhat...predictable(?)movie, like Sahara. Anyway, all in all it was a great read. I'd recommend it to middle grade readers. I read them back in 6th grade.
In this thrilling book, Connie Lionheart's brother Simon finds out that he is a companion to the chimera, the same creature that is hunting his sister down. Connie learns of a new way to defeat Kullervo, and is abandoned by the Society in her quest. This is Connie's moment to save the world... Or potentially end it.

This book was great, one of the best in the series. I loved how Connie solved her problems, and I really enjoyed the twist ending. Enjoy!
Aminah G
I finally found this book in my schools library! I thought I would never finish the series but I did! Man I loved this series. But I would say the second book was the best. The Chimera's curse to me wasn't as exciting as I though it would be. It seemed to be lacking something and I think Connie and Col should of kissed at the end but at least he finally asked her out. anyway this was a fairly good ending to the series but I still think it could have been better.
Miss Clark
What an amazing series! I gobled all 4 up and see that there's room for the author to write more following any of the characters onward or even to set up some great prequel stories. I'm not sure if I expected this series conclusion of Connie's inevitable clash with Kullervo, universal to universal. I enjoyed being surprised and haunted by all that occurs. Can't wait for more writings following the Companions adventures!
At night, to help me fall asleep, I put myself into the main character's role (Connie) and act out more of the story in my head. Now, whenever somebody asks me what super power I would want, I don't hesitate. Shape-shifting!!! So I was in a bit of a dilemma, because Connie couldn't shape-shift. And then... What a perfect solution!!!
I also recommend Julia Golding's "The Diamond of Drury Lane".
Loved it soooooooooo good
enjoyed the series overall........after borrowing them from the library i have now bought them as i think my children will enjoy them. i liked the characters, connie did get annoying at times but only in the usual way when the main character is a child who saves the day and always stubbornly knows better than anyone else.
  • Karneval, Vol. 6 (Karneval, #6)
  • Fur For All (Fixed, #5)
  • Seven Sorcerers (Seven Sorcerers #1)
  • The Rainbow Wand (Fairy Realm, #10)
  • Circle of Death  (Damask Circle, #2)
  • Whispering To Witches
  • The Silver Dolphin (Mermaid Curse, #1)
  • Mirage (Above World, #2)
  • Lily
  • The Book of Time (Book of Time, #1)
  • Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor (Falcon Quinn, #2)
  • The End of the World Club (Jaguar Stones, #2)
Julia Golding grew up on the edge of Epping Forest. After reading English at Cambridge, she joined the Foreign Office and served in Poland.

On leaving Poland, she exchanged diplomacy for academia and took a doctorate in the literature of the English Romantic Period at Oxford. She then joined Oxfam as a lobbyist on conflict issues, campaigning at the UN and with governments to lessen the impact of c
More about Julia Golding...

The Companions Quartet (4 books)
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Gorgon's Gaze (The Companions Quartet, #2)
  • Mines of the Minotaur (The Companions Quartet, #3)