Start by marking “The Chimera's Curse (The Companions Quartet, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Chimera's Curse (The Companions Quartet, #4)

The Chimera's Curse (The Companions Quartet #4)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,371 ratings  ·  66 reviews
It's a long hot summer. Temperatures are soaring and a strange creature has been spotted on Dartmoor. Connie Lionheart and her friends soon discover that the creature is a chimera. When it attacks Connie, leaving her gravely wounded, Col and Rat must rescue her from hospital: she needs treatment beyond the knowledge of mortals. But a weakened Connie is easy prey for the ev ...more
Published September 6th 2007 by Oxford University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Chimera's Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chimera's Curse

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettAnne of Green Gables/Anne of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Great Books For Young Girls
27th out of 95 books — 56 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
Mythology fiction
34th out of 159 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Ahmad Sharabiani
The chimera’s curse (The Companions Quartet #3), 2008, Julia Golding
Characters: Connie Lionheart (11 year old girl), Colin (Col) Clamworthy (11 year old boy), Skylark (A young Pegasus), Evelyn Lionheart (Connie's Aunt), Lavinia Clamworthy (Col's Grandmother), Aneena Nuruddin (Connie's best friend), Jane Benedict (Connie's best friend), Mack Clamworthy (Col's father), Dr. Brock (Society member), Jessica Moss (Society member), Ivor Coddrington (Society member), Shirley Masterson (Society member),
Julia
Col Clamworthy, it was about freaking time!

Call me a hopeless romantic, but i have been waiting and waiting for something to..er, um, happen (?!) between Col and our lovely heroine, Connie. in the last chapter he finally asks her out, so i was a happy camper. I know, i know- I'm pathetic. (What would their name be: Colnie? hehehe...)
Wow- I finished 2 books today. it took me approx. 5 hours to read the enite thing- with breaks to eat and goof around.
it was pretty great- the final showdown was a
Haylee Wilbur
IT WAS AMAZING

IT WAS AMAZING

I think everyone should read this little series of books. I couldn't put the bok down until I finally finished it and now I want to know what happens next. I soooo wish that there was a fifth book:P. And that's a lot coming from a kid who isn't supposed to like reading because it's "lame" or whatever. But I sooo wish you would have made a fifth book instead of starting a new series, but I will still read the universals series. Hopefully I'll find out what happens to C
Nicole
Connie fights in the final showdown with (once again) all of humanity at stake. Despite some "No one understands me" rebellious moments that slightly annoyed me, this last book had an interesting high paced story sequence with some well deserved and anticipated kiddie romance.

In particular, I enjoyed following Connie's growth throughout the series and her maturity at the end. I also loved the new fiery boy character we are introduced to. Overall, this conclusion was an enjoyable read with a ful
Summary:
Connie's tale is about to come to an end. After dealing with a lot of her personal issues in book three, she continues on a rather darker journey in the fourth tale. Within this tale, Connie has to deal with a Chimera. Along with the Chimera, the final conflict with Kullervo must be handled. This is done in a fairly original way which may leave us open for more of a storyline in the future.

My thoughts:
Although predictable, this has been a wonderful story. I love the ecology themes that a
Lily
On a recent cruise, I came across this book while perusing the library. It is a young adult science fiction/fantasy book. The book was an excellent read from start to finish. The layers the author put in this book was deep and complex. Of course, you should read the first book in this series to understand what was happening but I enjoyed the challenge of putting together all of the stories.

What I enjoyed most about the story was how it was told encompassing the environment, understanding how th
Daniela
This book is about following your heart, love and friendship. Connie is the girl who is extraordinary and has a best friend Col the companion to pegasus Skylark. He likes Connie a lot but only just like best friend but unfortunately and happily for him he gets into a championship for flying on his pegasus. They have 2 best friend named Anina and Jane. Anina is full of crazy ideas and Jane is a shy but they are both good friends and will always be there when needed though they don't know anythin ...more
Therese

So... the last book of the series. The whole series was pretty okay for me. The series would probably get a 3.5 stars rating out of me. Nothing more, nothing less.

It has been a few months since the weather incident. The Society has carried on peacefully. One day, when Connie and her friends were out in the forest, Connie is attacked by a Chimera. A chimera is basically a mash-up of three different creatures: A lion, a snake, and a goat. Anyway, the Chimera's presene is a signal to all Society

Natym
I loved this book so much! A thrilling end to the Companions Quartet, this complex mush of personal problems with her family and with Col, problems with the society, an amazing amount of pain and suffering, new powers, new friends, new family, the perfect little touch of romance, and a horrific realisation, Connie's adventure has never been so exiting.

I love this book and the rest of its series, because while you are deep in the pages of the book, you actually believe that you are Connie. It is
Holly
This is the conclusion to the Companions Quartet series. I enjoyed it and was pleased with the ending. If you haven't read the others in the series, read them in order. They are:
Secret of the sirens
The Gorgon's gaze
Mines of the minotaur

It is a series about a group of people who are companions to mythical beasts. The primary character is Connie, who is a universal companion, or, a companion to all mythical beasts. Her friends a companions to a Pegasus, a kraken, wood sprites, dragons, and more
Sara
MY TAKE:
This was a solid ending to the series – full of hope for the future.

By challenging Kullervo and accepting him into and as a part of herself, she saved him – she saved them all with her love. Love for humanity, love for all creatures, and this time, love was enough. It really speaks to you about love and acceptance in your life. Know yourself, inside and out, and love and accept your differences. Find this love and respect in other people and creatures, and you will lead a fulfilled life.
Vicki Johnson
For those who love fantasy

If mythical creatures are your taste, then this series is for you. Connie takes you and her friends non an amazing adventure.
joseph southworth
Love the whole series!!!!

I loved it and my children will to. I will read this whole series over again. I can't wait for more books like this.
♛★◆Tana~
A really great book! It has one of the best endings i have ever read and i am sad the series is over.
Scott Williams
17a058de-702b-4ba4-ac3c-10154bd92ad2
Scout The Dog
I read these during a brief spell of Percy Jackson withdrawl, when I was awaiting the next book to be released. This series was fun, a light sort of read. The Chimera's Curse was definitely the best of the four. I think the best way to describe this series would be to compare it to a super fun and exciting, yet somewhat...predictable(?)movie, like Sahara. Anyway, all in all it was a great read. I'd recommend it to middle grade readers. I read them back in 6th grade.
Belen
In this thrilling book, Connie Lionheart's brother Simon finds out that he is a companion to the chimera, the same creature that is hunting his sister down. Connie learns of a new way to defeat Kullervo, and is abandoned by the Society in her quest. This is Connie's moment to save the world... Or potentially end it.

This book was great, one of the best in the series. I loved how Connie solved her problems, and I really enjoyed the twist ending. Enjoy!
Aminah G
I finally found this book in my schools library! I thought I would never finish the series but I did! Man I loved this series. But I would say the second book was the best. The Chimera's curse to me wasn't as exciting as I though it would be. It seemed to be lacking something and I think Connie and Col should of kissed at the end but at least he finally asked her out. anyway this was a fairly good ending to the series but I still think it could have been better.
Miss Clark
Tlc
What an amazing series! I gobled all 4 up and see that there's room for the author to write more following any of the characters onward or even to set up some great prequel stories. I'm not sure if I expected this series conclusion of Connie's inevitable clash with Kullervo, universal to universal. I enjoyed being surprised and haunted by all that occurs. Can't wait for more writings following the Companions adventures!
Nadia
This has been the best series I have read this summer. It has an original plot and not like any book I've read before. It puts mythical creatures in the places of real endangered animals. It explains real problems with industrial buildings while having a funny action packed story line.
But for every one who has been wanting another guess what. George rises to the task of universal in the next book Water Thief.
Jordan
At night, to help me fall asleep, I put myself into the main character's role (Connie) and act out more of the story in my head. Now, whenever somebody asks me what super power I would want, I don't hesitate. Shape-shifting!!! So I was in a bit of a dilemma, because Connie couldn't shape-shift. And then... What a perfect solution!!!
I also recommend Julia Golding's "The Diamond of Drury Lane".
Tricia
Nic
Loved it soooooooooo good
Nicola
enjoyed the series overall........after borrowing them from the library i have now bought them as i think my children will enjoy them. i liked the characters, connie did get annoying at times but only in the usual way when the main character is a child who saves the day and always stubbornly knows better than anyone else.
Sam
IM SO SAD!!! :''''''((((((
This was the best series EVER!! AND I MEAN EEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!
It's wasn't much of a cliffhanger, but it makes you wonder how it continues boringly.... Which is weird... I know this book was published in 2007, but I want Julia Golding to make a follow up series...
Amelia
In the last book in the Companions Quartet series, Connie has to save the world from Kullervo. She is trying to find out how, but because others have failed, the society won't let her. It's surprising ending is a perfect way to end the series.
Kiersten Robertson
This is definitly the best book in the series! Julia Golding takes you on an exciting adventure of twists and turns, and you never know where you'll end up! I 'm really sad that this was the last one in the series, it was very good.
I enjoyed this one as much as the others, but I didn't feel a sense of closure at the end of the quartet. Maybe that's how Julia Golding wanted it, but I feel like she might have also left things open for another series.
Savvy Tennessee
i kinda wish there was another book in the series. i do like the ending except that it left you hanging. don't get me wrong though, i love the book and the characters. it was a fun read and i recomend it to anyone.
  • Seven Sorcerers (Seven Sorcerers #1)
  • The Unicorn (Fairy Realm, #6)
  • Whispering To Witches
  • The End of the World Club (Jaguar Stones, #2)
  • The Maelstrom (The Tapestry, #4)
  • The Book of Time (Book of Time, #1)
  • Karneval, Vol. 2 (Karneval, #2)
  • Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor (Falcon Quinn, #2)
  • Dragonsdale (Dragonsdale, #1)
  • Mirage (Above World, #2)
  • Loveless 9
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Zelda, #3)
Julia Golding grew up on the edge of Epping Forest. After reading English at Cambridge, she joined the Foreign Office and served in Poland.

On leaving Poland, she exchanged diplomacy for academia and took a doctorate in the literature of the English Romantic Period at Oxford. She then joined Oxfam as a lobbyist on conflict issues, campaigning at the UN and with governments to lessen the impact of c
More about Julia Golding...
Dragonfly Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1) The Diamond of Drury Lane (Cat Royal, #1) The Gorgon's Gaze (The Companions Quartet, #2) Mines of the Minotaur (The Companions Quartet, #3)