Start by marking “The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1)

The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  65,153 Ratings  ·  2,864 Reviews
All her life, Ashlyn Darrow has been tormented by voices from the past. To end the nightmare, she has come to Budapest seeking help from men rumored to have supernatural abilities, not knowing she'll be swept into the arms of Maddox, their most dangerous member—a man trapped in a hell of his own.

Neither can resist the instant hunger that calms their torments…and ignites an
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by HQN (first published May 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Night, please sign up.

Best_beloved
My Problem that I Know Will Not Actual Bother Everyone:

Okay, the main ‘hero’ is an immortal warrior who is partially controlled by demon of Violence. Yes, Violence, which the heroine, Ashlyn, is dating. He spends the first 50 pages (give or take) chanting kill, murder, slice, hurt, killkillkill to himself. He acknowledges that while he tries to fight the demon, he does fail - on a nearly nightly bases. Now, I’m aware that in this genre love conquers all and that relationships and people in roma
Candace
As the first full-length book in this series, this book did a good job of making me want more. Aside from the love story between Maddox and Ashlyn, which was fantastic by the way, there was a lot of plot and character development. No doubt, this will serve to make future books more entertaining. It was a wholly enjoyable read.

Ashlyn and Maddox seemingly meet by chance. He thinks that she's bait for hunters. She is curious about the house of immortal beings. The townspeople speculate are angels a
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

"Every night death came, slowly, painfully, and every morning Maddox awoke in bed, knowing he'd have to die again later. That was his greatest curse and his eternal punishment."

This book is a great intro into the Lords of the Underworld series and I admit, I am completely hooked!! I will not stop until I read them all!!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Before I tell you about the story, you have to know a few facts about the Lords (all of these facts will be explained in the first 10 pages of the book so I won't be giving a
new_user
Oct 22, 2008 new_user rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kenyon, Feehan fans
*sigh* What can I say? The Darkest Night wasn't very dark. I wanted to like this book because it came so highly recommended from friends, but I've read Showalter's writing before and I was skeptical.

Well, my first impression was unfortunately right. Showalter's writing style is still very light and sugary, only it's even more out of place in such a dark setting (i.e. constant violence).

Her heroes are supposed to be Greek immortals, exalted and admired guardians of the gods until their hubris lea
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Well, I finally started the much lauded Lords of the Underworld series. I was happy with this book. However, it does have some issues with it that I felt detracted from it as a stellar read. I felt like there was a roughness in some of the writing. I have a theory about this. I think that the publishers really put a lot of pressure on the paranormal writers to put out a series quickly. This takes time away from the authors that they need to polish each book so that it can be at its best. I felt ...more
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Photobucket

THE BACK STORY

Long ago twelve immortals warriors made by Zeus, became jealous of Pandora she was chosen to guard a box. Inside that box housed some of the most dangerous demons ever known. The Immortals made a horrible mistake of killing Pandora and opening the box. As punishment for the evil they have unleashed each warrior was sentenced to carry one of those demons for all eternity. They are - Violence, Pain, Death, Disease, Disaster, Misery, Doubt, Promiscuity, Defeat, Lies, Secrets, and W
Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・ |spoilers af|
|3.8 keeper of awesomeness stars|

It is so good when things turn out positively.

I was a bit afraid of finding out I didn’t like this series after reading The Darkest Touch but with re-reading this first book? I feel like I’m back on it.
The Lords of The Underworld series is so addicting and so much fun and with an interesting premise, it’s no wonder why how these books have made it this far.

I find the mix between Greek mythology, urban legends and paranormal creatures pretty great and with this co
kris
Jun 13, 2012 kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“Sometimes what we want isn't what we need.”

Let me tell you a story.
Thousands years ago the box that held the most disastrous demons was given by the gods to Pandora . She was a warrior and everyone felt envy that a female had the responsibility to reck the box . Anyone would kill for this position. Moving Pandora into a trap wasnt a smart move and warriors were bound to be possessed by these demons .

In this book we are introduced Maddox . He played a significant role in Pandora's (view spoiler)
Sophia Triad
Maddox: Demon of violence
Butterfly: upper left shoulder, wrapping around to his back
His curse: He is stabbed every night only to be brought back to life the next day and then the next night he has to die again.

Ashlyn Darrow: She works for the World Institute of Parapsychology.
Supernatural ability: She hears voices about things that they happened in the past.

In ancient time, Maddox is the warrior that killed Pandora and then the box that included all the vicious demons disappeared and all the dem
Michelle
Aug 30, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
3.5-4 Cursed Stars!
I think I've found a new PNR series that I might love. I'm excited!

This was Ashlyn and Maddox's story. But it was stocked full with all the other warriors. A perfect set up for more to come.

Ashlyn hears voices. Lots of voices. Every where she goes if people have been there she hears their conversation. She wants the voices to stop. She's on the hunt for the men with special abilities that she's heard about to see if maybe they can help her quiet the noise.
Maddox is a warrio
Tina
Jul 09, 2008 Tina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I must preface this by saying that I only made it to page 200, so i probably shouldn't be reviewing this book. However, the fact that I couldn't really be bothered to make it past page 200 makes this worthy of explaining why.

I picked up this book, first because I got a rec for it and second because the cover art is so darned striking. And I was really stoked by someone doing something a little different within the paranormal genre. I admit, I am always on the look out for paranormal that don't i
Kitty (I solemnly swear that I am up to no good)
""I need to prepare you." He was about to see her underwear-another embarrassing topic. They were plain white cotton. Granny gear, she's once heard a man say. She never wore sexy clothing, even underclothing, while on the job. It wasn't practical. "I do own sexy underwear, I promise, but i'm not wearing it right now.""

WTFUCK??!
Get a grip sister...I mean seriously when in the throws of passion who cares what pants you are wearing just take them off. Have a little confidence for goodness sake. Bu
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
May 23, 2010 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance readers - Esp. Fans of BDB and IAD
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Recommended by RNDo and Vale - Thanks!
(4 Stars)

Ooohhh!!! Yummily sexy cover! That was my first reaction. ^_^ Seriously. Love the covers in this series.

The Darkest Night, the first book of the Lords of the Underworld series, is my first Gena Showalter book. I really liked it but wasn’t completely captured by it. I haven’t been hooked yet like I am with J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood. I’m putting it out there – I just LOOOVVEEE those Brothers!!! Okay? Bias, outted. Though, to be fair, I wasn’t completely addicted to the BDB unti
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
★Book Basics★

Genre : - Paranormal Romance
Series : - 1st in the series
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author/or in this series? - Yes
Rating - 5

★Review★

This is a new to me series, and as such, for me (even though this series has been out years) it was a refreshing take on the paranormal genre.

I loved both main characters, and the entire world this is base
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Nov 11, 2013 Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ by: Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 4.5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Dija
Aug 16, 2011 Dija rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of BDB and PNR
What I expected:

1. A too-sexy-to-be-true hero.
2. A too-feminine-to-be-anything-but-Barbie heroine.
3. Lust at first sight that magically transforms into true love barely 50 pages into the book.

What I got:

1. Lots of laugh-out-loud moments.
2. Swoon-worthy heroes.
3. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

Yes, the girl's a virgin. Yes, the guy's an immortal who has existed since before time yet still hasn't ever fallen in love. But no, the girl's not a wimpy, gullible, brainless idiot. And no, the guy actuall
Gary
Jun 22, 2015 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow what a first book five out of five and i can see me reading all the series very fast
Exina
July 12, 2013
"We’ll wait there and let the Hunters come to us.”
“That’s it? That is your plan?”
“Well, that and kill them.” The fragrance of roses became stronger as Lucien’s eyes glittered menacingly.
“It’s a good plan.”

Pretty good opening book of the ’Lords of the Underworld’ series.

Smartly built alternative mythology, gradually measured tension and multiplying conflict.

Maddox is the least significant Lord for me, so the first book being his is really smart, because his personality doe
Eleni Ouzouni
“Sometimes what we want isn't what we need.”

Στο παρελθόν, μου είχαν προτείνει πολλοί να ξεκινήσω κάποια από τις σειρές της Gena Showalter. Ποτέ όμως δεν έτυχε να πιάσω κάποια στα χέρια μου. Πριν λίγες μέρες καθώς χάζευα στις διακοπές μου σε διάφορα μικρά βιβλιοπωλεία το μάτι μου έπεσε κατευθείαν στο όμορφο εξώφυλλο του πρώτου βιβλίου της σειράς "Άρχοντες του Κάτω Κόσμου" μαζί με την πολύ προσιτή τιμή δεν μπόρεσα να αντισταθώ και να μην το αγοράσω.

Η Άγρια νύχτα είναι το πρώτο μέρος μιας μακράς σ
Buggy
Opening line: " Every night death came, slowly, painfully, and every morning Maddox awoke in bed, knowing he'd have to die again later.

As a fan of paranormal romance and in particular JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood my searches for what to read next kept taking me to this series. That's not to say the two are comparable, because they aren't but if you like continuing story arcs with multiple character POV's, hot, sexy love scenes, the occasional bloody fight and tortured yet strong alpha male
AH
Jun 05, 2010 AH rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit that when I first started reading this novel, I absolutely hated it. I just could not get into this book. So I put it down, as cutie would say, in the time out corner for a few days.

I then decided to start over. After all, this book is highly rated by Goodreads reviewers. Everyone seems to love it. Well – I am glad I gave this book a second chance. Once I got over my initial confusion, I really could not put the book down.

The Darkest Night is the story of a group of warrior/brother
Viri
Aug 03, 2016 Viri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Como si no fuera suficiente: Aquí está la reseña en el blog, espero que no se decepcionen demasiado.

ESTOY TREMENDAMENTE DECEPCIONADA

Y ya sé que voy a ser el negrito en el arroz pero siento que es mi deber hacia la comunidad lectora (mentira solo quiero explayarme) decir lo malo que es este libro. Porque por si fuera poco... Después de estar siendo avasallados con libros paranormales +18 de este estilo, vienen y hacen una serie/saga lo que sea con más de 10
Kübra Yağmur
Apr 04, 2017 Kübra Yağmur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
TÜM İBLİSLERİ KENDİME İSTİYORUM, yeni gelenlerden birkaçı hariç tabii. -.-

Kitabın 50. sayfasına bile ulaşmadan yaşadığım rahatlamayı sizlere anlatamam. Beklenti bu kadar yüksek olunca hayal kırıklığına uğramaktan korkuyordum ama... Ama MADDOX diye bir İblis var bu kitapta.

Pandora'nın kutusu açılınca payına Şiddet İblisi düşmesi bir yana ikinci laneti olan iki savaşçıdan biri.
Sanki Şiddet baş edilmesi kolay bir şeymiş gibi...
Yahu adam Ölüm'le lanetlenmiş. Her gece ölüyor. Ama öyle böyle değil. Öl
Anzu The Great Destroyer
The Darkest Night is a fun introduction to a new series (for me at least) that goes around demons, crazy people, violence, hot drooly (yes, I mean it as drool-y - it should be a word, it’s awesome) sex and extreme redecorating. But we all love crazy people don’t we? And violence. And sex. And hotties. Beats the hell out of watching Animal Planet.

Even though the book was a great read I found many problems regarding it. It stars with the typical PNR problem: the ease with which they hooked up. I’
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
** 12/08/11: Edits added to reflect an attempted re-read

I feel like I should explain why this was the ultimate DNF for me. It had so many great reviews and I loved the blurb. I checked the bookstore every week to see if they'd restocked it. Finally, one day they had it and I put the book on reserve.

Maddox is an immortal warrior who, along with his five warrior buddies got pissed when they were passed over in favor of Pandora to guard the sacred box of demons. So, they steal the box and release t
MISS VAIN
Mar 24, 2011 MISS VAIN rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PNR lovers!!!!!!
Shelves: gena-showaler
"Destroy.Hurt.Kill.Obliterate.
Kill.Hurt.Maim.
Kill.Kill.Kill.
KillHurtMaim.
Destroy, Destroy, Destroy, Kill."

Never has any man fictional or non fictional ever made those words sounds enticing, much less sensual but Gena Showalter has succeeded in making the inner dialgue of Maddox, the keeper of Violence a voice I want in my darkest erotic fantasies. ;)

Maddox as the Keeper of Violence has kept himself wrapped up in a tight guarded space to ensure the safety of others around and especially arou
Julie (jjmachshev)
Apr 30, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
My first Gena Showalter book was "The Stone Prince" back in 2004. Since then, I'm pretty sure I've read every book she's had published with the exception of her young adult line. And I'm also pretty sure that I've highly enjoyed every one! Her books always contain elements of magic and although her different series may have become darker and more sensual over the last couple of years, I, for one, am certainly happy about that!

"The Darkest Night" is her new series that revolves around the myth of
Miss Kim
Oct 21, 2008 Miss Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kenjii
Recommended to Miss Kim by: about 30 GR friends!
3.5 out of 5

The Lords of the Underworld are ancient Greek Warriors that were involved in opening Pandora’s Box centuries ago. This caused a load of awful demons to posses each of the Lords. This is Maddox’s story. He is possessed the by the demon, Violence.

Ashlyn struck me as TSTL right off the bat. She is wandering through the forest in the damn winter at night. Alone. What the hell? She has a terrible secret that she think the ‘angels’ will be able to help her with. The townspeople all believe
Kay
This was such a boring read, it is kind of ridiculous.

The Darkest Night is supposed to be a PNR book a-la-J.R. Ward - while there are many similarities, Showalter ultimately does not deliver. The book is filled with tortured fallen angels, forced to host a demon within them. But apart from being tortured, they are utterly indistinguishable. This is the case for the entire book - we are introduced to so many characters and none of them seemed to have a personality!

The heroine, Ashlyn, was a comp
Emily May
Mar 15, 2011 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, paranormal-uf, 2011

Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3.5 stars
Writing: 3.5 stars
Sexiness: 4.5 stars
Ending: 3.5 stars

Overall: 3.6 stars

• Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark #6)
  • Ecstasy Unveiled (Demonica #4)
  • Acheron (Dark-Hunter #14)
  • Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling #2)
  • Ecstasy (Shadowdwellers, #1)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl
More about Gena Showalter...

Lords of the Underworld (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)
  • The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5)
  • The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6)
  • The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)
  • The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld #8)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • The Darkest Craving (Lords of The Underworld #10)
  • The Darkest Touch (Lords of the Underworld #11)

“You are mine, woman, and I am yours. Until you, my life was desolate. I existed, but I didn't truly live. Now I live, even in my death.” 448 likes
“Sometimes what we want isn't what we need.” 409 likes