Start by marking “People of the Raven (North America's Forgotten Past, #12)” as Want to Read:
People of the Raven (North America's Forgotten Past, #12)

People of the Raven (North America's Forgotten Past #12)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,375 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Award-winning archaeologists Michael and Kathleen Gear spin a vivid and captivating tale around one of the most controversial archaeological discoveries in the world: the Kennewick Man-a Caucasoid male mummy dating back more than 9,000 years, found in the Pacific Northwest on the banks of the Columbia River!
A white man in North America more than 9,000 years ago? What was h
Published August 1st 2005 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about People of the Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People of the Raven

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. AuelThe Valley of Horses by Jean M. AuelThe Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. AuelThe Plains of Passage by Jean M. AuelThe Shelters of Stone by Jean M. Auel
Best Pre-History Fiction
22nd out of 145 books — 212 voters
Enter the 5th Realm by Patricia O'GradyThe Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. AuelKey Holder of the Realms by Patricia O'GradyThe Gunslinger by Stephen KingPeople of the Wolf by W. Michael Gear
The best book series, Part 2
40th out of 132 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is a tale of survival and strategy. The People of the Raven are in a subservient relationship with the North Wind People; they provide food and resources whilst the North Wind People provide them with skilfully-produced artefacts. What should be a symbiotic relationship has descended into one that verges on the borders of genocidal warfare - and it is the North Wind People who have the edge!
Anyone who comes to the First Americans series has to accept that these
Anne Hawn Smith
This was one of the best books of this series. It deals with the fictional setting for the Kennewick Man. The story takes place at a time when the "Caucasian-type" prehistoric North Americans were diminishing and the "Mongoloid-type were expanding.

The story is very hard to get into because of the number of characters and the profusion of names like "Windwoman"that may apply to a person or, in this case the wind. Anyone who has read books by the Gears is familiar with this and has to be prepared
Melissa
I'm starting to feel like I'm reading the same book. Young, seemingly incapable boy who must Dream a new spiritual path for his people. Old (but not too old) powerful woman dreamer who dances on the sides of both good and evil. Strong leaders who fall in love and help lead their clans away from the bad guys. The good news is this means you don't have to read any of the other books, you'll be just fine reading this on your own.

The Raven People and the North Wind People have always had an uneasy a
Bee Birch
This is the second book I have read from the Gear Empire. Nice premise, but again too much violence, rape, murder, and torture. Too many characters to follow. Too many tangled plot-lines. I couldn't figure out what was going on and I am not a stupid person. But I persevered because I wanted to know who Coyote was, but I must have missed it because I still didn't know at the end of the book. I resent that kind of cheap teaser to keep people reading through this book that is way way too long in th ...more
Billy Dominguez
Great book, ranks up with People of the Silence, Lakes, Weeping Eyes, and Thunder. This book is different among all the others I have read by the Gears, it starts off with action immediately and will grip you into the story after the first few chapters. The plot was easy to follow and I didn't trouble remember all the characters the Gears like to introduce into their stories. The story slows a lot mid way through but picks back up with a brilliantly written ending. 4 1/2 stars because I felt the ...more
Theresa
People of the Raven By W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O’Neal Gear
Review
History is dynamic, and conflict in universal. Looking at the archeological history of the United States has only happened in 2% of the land, but that does not negate controversy.
Kennewick man is one of those historical anomalies, a Caucasoid skeleton on the North American Continent over 10,000 years ago. The Gears dive head into the controversy. Theory that there are three genetic groups that settled in the American Continent
Mallory
These always looked like they would be interesting books to read, so I grabbed a few from the library booksale one time. I really enjoyed this story, set in the Pacific Northwest/British Columbia region of North America. Even though the characters, their ways, customs, and culture are prehistoric, their emotions and actions are so very human. It reminded me that throughout the ages, people are essentially the same, especially in regards to their motivations and desires, hopes and fears. This is ...more
Katie Rhodig
The Gears this time have thrown you back in time 9,000 years ago. Set in the Pacific Northwest along the banks of the Colombia River, People of the Raven brings the reader up close and personal with the controversial Kennewick man. Kennewick man is a Caucasoid mummy found here on those very banks. Why so controversial? Supposedly white men didn’t show up in North America until the Vikings made a few tentative trips to the area called Vineland. This story follows the two different races of people ...more
Jillian
the "people of..." series has become my brainless book. what i find annoying, even though i keep reading them, is while the science and history behind them is quite fansinating, the novels themselves are tedious and lack development. the politics seem contrite. the endings are anti-climatic. i guess that's what happens when you churn out a novel every 18mons.

these books could be really well written and deep (if you want really well researched, well-written historical fiction, try colleen mccollo
Linda
Finally done! I've been cleaning out the books from the last paperback swap I went to. As a rule I love paleo fiction. This book just seemed to on and on. It uses the discovery of Kennewick Man, a caucasoid type skeleton, found in Washington state (Read the book Kennewick Man by Chatters, which I rated 5 stars). Using the premise that there were 2 distinct races competing for the same dwindling resources at the time the Ige Age was receding and ecosystems were in major transition.

The book was OK
Kitty Sutton
The Gears are the best at what they do, which is writing about pre-history based on archeology, creating a plausible fictional story to help us to understand the facts and thus preserve our own Native American history. Kathleen and Michael have been my lamplight in becoming a Native American historical fiction writer. They alone are responsible for peeking my interest in our dim past and have provided a window to that time and place of which they write. If you desire to see the past of our unkno ...more
Maryanne
People of the Raven 07112010 (North America's Forgotten Past) (Mass Market Paperback)
Kathleen O'Neal Gear
Lisa Thompson
This was just a random book I picked up. It was actually pretty good. I like when fact mixes with fiction.
Jared
The Raven people and the Northwind people become locked in an epic battle for survival as shifting climate change makes resources ever scarcer. This book, set in a pre-history Washington State, uses the archeological discovery of the Kennewick Man to spin a “What if…?” tale full of suspense, mystery and action. The Gears show their usual attention to details as they create a world rich in characters and history. Great set up, but kind of anti-climactic. Not their best.
Eleanor
This book is based upon the archaeological find of the Kenniwick man in Washington in about 1996. I remember vividly the thoughts I'd had when this finding was released. Finding a white man over 9,000 years ago in the America's stirred so much in the Anthropology and Archaeology world. As the Gear's weave their tale of historical fiction...the events intertwine with my own study of Ancient Americas.
Stefaniab
i loved the setting, but the Gears pulled out their formula a bit too much for this one. The last book i read by them, 'People of the Masks," was also very formula-apparent. The previous few were more original. Still I think I will continue with this series to see which cultures the Gears will drop me into.
John Capraro
When I first began reading this book, I wasn't sure I'd like it. It's out of my normal genres of interest. But the writing is solid and captures the tone of the story and setting. I grew to like the characters and the journeys--both external and internal--they found themselves on. Quite enjoyable.
Clare
This fictional tale of very early native Americans was pretty good, but I found it somewhat confusing that the characters in the story referred to the elements as if they were people, especially since the characters names were also frequently 'earthy'.
Barb
This 'period book' took place 14,000 years ago in what is now the states of Washington and Oregon. The envisioned life of people's day-to-day activities needed for survival and corresponding beliefs was entertaining.
Chris Cravens
Good book! I enjoyed every bit of it. Also enjoyed the historical references at the end, although I would have liked to have read at least a speculation as to the origins of the "North Wind People".
Alicia
Wonderful storyline, fascinating characters, twisting plot, and action, action, action - this story has it all. The Gear's are definitely on top of their game with this book.
Nathanael Green
Really enjoyed this one as much for the research and detail of pre-colonial America as for the story itself. Well done on both counts, and I'm off for another from the Gears.
Jackie
I thought I missed this book in Gear's series. I didn't. Found it in my book shelf and you could tell I read it. Must not have been very good if I did NOT remember reading it!
Stephanie
I enjoyed the history . The people in these books come to life and leave u feeling like you where there. I have read many of books by both authors
Michael J
Interesting take on the "Kennewick Man" and how it could have fit into paleo Native American society.
Don
It wasn't as interesting as some of the series, still worth a read.
Betsy
Weakest entry in the series, confusing and hard to follow.
Ray

Another outstanding Novel by the Gears.
  • The Summoning God (The Anasazi Mysteries, #2)
  • My Sister the Moon
  • Voice of the Eagle (Kwani, #2)
  • Thunder in the Sky (The First Americans, #6)
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the fam ...more
More about W. Michael Gear...
People of the Fire (North America's Forgotten Past, #2) People of the Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past, #1) People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past, #3) People of the River (North America's Forgotten Past, #4) People of the Sea (North America's Forgotten Past, #5)