Start by marking “Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,353 Ratings  ·  384 Reviews
BRAIN PRESCRIPTIONS THAT REALLY WORK
In this breakthrough bestseller, you'll see scientific evidence that your anxiety, depression, anger, obsessiveness, or impulsiveness could be related to how specific structures in your brain work. You're not stuck with the brain you're born with. Here are just a few of neuropsychiatrist Dr. Daniel Amen's surprising--and effective--"brai
Published June 10th 2008 by Harmony (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Change Your Brain, Change Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Amanda
Jan 22, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoy learning about the different areas of the human brain, such as the deep limbic system, basal ganglia, prefrontal cortex, among others, and the aspects of our behavior for which they are responsible, Daniel G. Amen focuses solely on case study after case study after case study as evidence for how effective various medications can be. We are never given a zoomed-out view on all of his patients; he only focuses on subjects that received "successful" treatments.

He does not balance his
Thomas Edmund
Apr 20, 2010 Thomas Edmund rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I picked up this piece thinking it would be some Dr Phil level 'common sense' (read unresearched, brow-bashing) advice piece.

Instead I found it a detailed well-balanced academic/practical book about the relationship between brain patterns and problem-behaviour. In reference to the title, I found the chapter on the Cingulate part of the brain to be absolutely enlightening. Individuals with over actice cingulate's tend to hold grudges and automatically respond in the negative.

It was refreshin
David
Feb 24, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, audiobooks
It always amuses me to read reviews of non-fiction books. Every book I've ever read in this category has one of every two or three reviews that complains about the book giving them information they already knew. It seems there are a lot of uber-intelligent people out there that have never heard the term "positive reinforcement." If it's good info, it doesn't have to be new.

That rant on other reviewers aside, this is a good book. Dr. Amen does a great job of talking about SPECT scans, and describ
Arlian
Aug 19, 2016 Arlian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This review is for the audiobook edition, which was read by the author himself. He has a moderately annoying voice, but not so bad I couldn't have gotten through the book--I stopped the book cause it was bad, not because his voice was bad.

I was going to give this book 2 stars (or MAYBE 2.5) but eventually I had to call it at 1. Let me explain.

I think the science that is introduced/outlined in this book has potential.

For those who haven't aren't familiar, the science discussed is essentially abo
Donna
Your brain is the hardware of your soul.
--Dr. Daniel Amen

After reading about half the book, I grew weary of the repetitive pattern of naming a part of the brain, describing its function in terms of behavior, and then offering advice about how to improve its performance. Dr. Amen's recommendations range from common sense (good nutrition) to unproven and New Age techniques (such as EMDR, or eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) to invasive and controversial treatments (including the SPECT
Mar 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have bipolar disorder, and this book helped give me more direction in treating and controlling it. I found myself described very well in Dr. Ahmen's case studies, self-tests, and medical studies. He dispenses more than just medication (which, by the way, I take and fully support) - he offers direction in psychotherapy and behavioral therapy as well. I found the book encouraging and helpful as did my husband. He's not bipolar; he was able to relate more to me and help me determining things abou ...more
Cathy Campbell
Jul 15, 2009 Cathy Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent resource. I highly recommend it. It explains behavior in a whole new way. If you have ever struggled with anxiety, depression, ADHD, obsessive-compulsive disorder, or other garden-variety psychological problems, this book is extremely helpful. The author, Daniel Amen, is a neuropsychiatrist who specializes in a type of brain imaging called SPECT (single photon emission computed tomography), which measures cerebral blood flow and metabolic activity patterns. Which is a f ...more
Vitaly
Oct 18, 2011 Vitaly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
«Ознакомившись с результатами пяти тысяч обследований SPECT, вкупе с историями болезней этих пациентов, я пришел к убеждению, что – это мы, когда наш мозг работает нормально. Когда он работает нормально, мы более внимательные, более целеустремленные, мы больше интересуемся другими людьми. Мы добрее, эмоционально стабильнее, терпимее».

Хочу сказать, что до этой книги я ничего подобного не читал. Не читал в смысле того, что не читал книги с медицинской тематикой. Я обладаю весьма посредственными ме
Sue
Jan 06, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The New Year brings the season of fresh starts, resolutions, the air of possibility and the impulse to make changes. This book came across my radar a few weeks ago when I was channel-surfing and caught the PBS program "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life" presented by Dr. Daniel Amen. After watching a few hours of his lectures, I was hooked...and decided to review what I learned in the presentations by reading his book.

Dr. Amen is a psychiatrist and neuroscientist who has used new brain -imaging
D
Oct 14, 2008 D rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to D by: I checked this book out after seeing Dr. Amen give a presentatio
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
My hubby and I saw Daniel Amen give a presentation on PBS on the nutrition-brain-wellness connection and were intrigued. I think I accidentally bought the wrong book on Amazon. Anyhoo, we *are* trying to incorporate the brain foods that Amen recommended in his PBS presentation into our weekly diet:

1. Fish--salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring
2. Poultry--chicken and turkey
3. Meat--lean beef and pork
4. Eggs
5. Tofu and soy products
6. Dairy products--low-fat cheeses and cottage cheese, low-fat sugar-fre
Waseem
Dec 17, 2014 Waseem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book, first time i stumbled across the author, and if his findings are true, it sometimes can make a lot of sense of how some mental issues or problems can be actually 'brain' related rather than environment related...lots of case studies from his own experience has even made me consider seeing this guy and his clinic, facinating stuff and surprisingly a lot of fun reading and first time ive made a random book fav that i just stumbled across

really makes you think serious abou
Shay Michaud
It was good! It taught me a lot in How Brian's work. How our Brian affects our behavior and how we can get our behavior under control by controlling our Brian. Sometimes the way we act is a brain problem and we need to restore our thoughts back to Christ. Sometimes you can't do alone, and there may be a bigger picture on why people act the way they do. It could be a brain problem. Liked how it gave many examples backed up with evidence from the numerous brain scans that the doctor has done. Also ...more
Velvetink
May 16, 2015 Velvetink rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, medical
I have a 2nd copy of this ebook epub./ Tubel.

15/11/13 1 of 8 books for $6 tuggerah library chuck out
Alice
Oct 12, 2009 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Yeah for me!!!!! I finally completed this entire book! It has taken me four years to read-a-little, comprehend, apply, read-some-more, listen to the audio version, comprehend, re-listen, apply and finally finish this amazing book. Dr. Amen explains so much about how brains function and how behavior is drastically changed by the dysfunction of a brain. I have received many answers to some of the real struggles I have had in my life due to some brain malfunctioning of my own. :)

It is amazing to g
Joy Fox
This brain book is used in a school that I am currently affliated with in Greenwood Villiage, CO (America's Academy of Coaching, Counseling & Hypnotherapy). Daniel Amen is a psychiatrist and writes from that perspective, so the use of medications and brain scans is heavily emphasized. Dr. Amen primarily uses SPECT (single photon emission computed tomography) scans to show patients what their brains look like before and after treatment. The organization of the book is such that educative pass ...more
Tim
Apr 28, 2009 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often read this kind of book, and it is not inspiring reading. On the other hand, there are enough nuggets of interest to have allowed me to read it through (mostly).

The good Doctor describes the new progress in understanding the parts of the brain itself, and what functions they control. His thesis is noting that some of what humans have viewed as abnormal, weakness of character, etc are actually parts of the brain that aren't functioning in normal range. So sudden outbursts of anger, n
Paulina
Jan 06, 2013 Paulina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, 2013
This book came to me through my interest in Brain Gym (something all integral health seekers should look into as the brain is the organ we ignore the most and take care off/exercise the least). The title of this book is unfortunate as it can throw many off when all could benefit.
It is easy to read (zero medical jargon) and it gives you a very high level explanation of the brain structure dividing it into different areas. Each chapter refers to a specific area of the brain, its importance to the
Dennis
Nov 03, 2010 Dennis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this a lot. Scared me straight. It got me thinking about acquaintances who have taken too many drugs and why they keep telling the same stories over and over again, and why some people behave the way they do. Do you or your friends have senior moments? Early signs of dementia? There may be a cause, like their brain is missing something. There are dire consequences for damaging your brain with drugs, alcohol, or trauma.

Dr Amen used a specific type of brain scan, a SPECT, to aid in diagno
Debra
Mar 04, 2016 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Love the non-drug prescriptions as well as the argument for using medication and the photos of brain scans were very convincing.
Good to hear an expert talk about his passion and how neurological discoveries can change lives.
Nora
Jun 24, 2015 Nora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made we want to get a brain scan done. I have not had a lot of success with diet supplements but that is me. Reasonable easy to read.
Nancy
Nov 11, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Readable Look at Brain Function

Dr. Amens is a practicing psychiatrist who was one of the first to use SPECT scans in diagnosing and treating patients. SPECT scans were originally intended for research purposes. Using these scans to diagnose patients mental problems was innovative and controversial. I found it fascinating because when I did research in the mental health field there was always the nagging feeling that the diagnosis categories were too broad. It would have been helpful to have a
Ulrich
May 29, 2015 Ulrich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel somewhat ambivalent about this book because while it provided great behavioral advice it seemed to have a heavy emphasis on drug therapy, even listing brand names and listing the same names repeatedly. It appears to me that Dr. Amen has accepted industry money, but at the same time are there any physicians who haven't? And that does not invalidate the rest of his observations and recommendations.

I especially liked the "One Page Miracle" focus exercise for ADD symptoms and his recommendati
Gareth Otton
Dec 12, 2014 Gareth Otton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People say that admitting you have a problem is the first step towards healing. I think that there is one step before that though, diagnosis.

I have read a number of self help books over the years, all of which range from incredibly helpful to pretty poor. Even the best of them suffer from a problem which basically comes down to the question, "How do I know which techniques I need to use?"

In the past I have gone through a process of trial and error, discarding the ones that haven't worked and k
Linda Hamonou
This book was ok. I will tell you a lot about the structure of the brain and the different parts in it but it felt a bit (a lot) out dated. But I guess that's what to expect seeing the publication date.

When I decided to read it I thought it was going to give some solutions to the problems in the title. In fact it didn't give anything. It's true that there is a list of exercises but there values aren't even discuss in the books. Most of the examples are in the form:
x had this and this behaviour
Jenn Wells
Nov 03, 2015 Jenn Wells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: game-changers
Full disclosure, this happens to be my first free book from Blogging for Books (free books!!!), BUT I received it at the perfect time, as I was delving into all this mental health stuff. I was expecting it to be more life coach-y, so when the first chapter started going in-depth into the science of the brain, I was a bit thrown off.

That aside, there is so much good information in this book! I thought the author's viewpoint on mental health was very eye-opening. He points out that psychology is o
Jessi
May 02, 2016 Jessi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2016
Top middle portion of the frontal lobe the cingulate area; this area of the brain allows you to shift your attention from one thing to another. An overactive cingulate can create thought loops.
Deep limbic system-when the deep limbic system is overactive it can lead to things like depression. lowered sexual energy, and disassociation from human bonds. Touch can lead to positive feelings (why "adjustments" in yoga can be so important).
Memories can release the same hormones that were released at t
Lukáš Gregor
Aug 26, 2013 Lukáš Gregor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kniha výborná, kniha užitečná. Neztrácíte se v lavině odborností, byť jich je tam dost, spíše fascinovaně přihlížíte. A pak vždy u každé části mozku kromě výčtu konkrétních funkcí/diagnóz sada tipů, jak mozek usměrňovat/léčit bez nutnosti léků - myšlení je samo o sobě totiž intenzivně fyziologická záležitost, hmatatelná, která fungování mozku významně nastavuje. Vřele doporučuji.
Sergei_kalinin
Книжка НЕоднозначная... Про физиологию мозга - средненько, но сами советы по "здоровому образу жизни" (в т.ч. и для мозга :))) очень неплохи.

Как обычно: подробная рецензия + интеллект-карта в моем блоге http://s-kalinin.blogspot.ru/2013/09/...
Sue K H
Jun 02, 2016 Sue K H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just realized I read the updated version so this review applies to that one _ I loved this book. It was eye opening for me, even though I've done a lot of research on natural healing and have a retired neurosurgeon friend who has shared information from his studies on making the brain healthy. Much of what I had learned independently about some natural supplements like Fish Oil and 5-htp, and various vitamins, were confirmed here but I also learned about new ones. This was also the first time I' ...more
Chris Ross
My initial impression of this book was negative and it was based on the introduction by Dr. Amen and essentially letting the readers know that they would be self-diagnosing by reading this book.

This impression was quickly changed as Dr. Amen read about his credentials, and his experience as a doctor and Psychiatrist as well as military experience.

The data Dr. Amen presents is compelling and believable and I really loved this book.

I highly recommend this book, it is eye opening to causes of many
  • The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls from Today's Pressures
  • The 10 Women You'll Be Before You're 35
  • How We Age: A Doctor's Journey Into the Heart of Growing Old
  • Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain: How a New Science Reveals Our Extraordinary Potential to Transform Ourselves
  • The Color Code: A New Way to See Yourself, Your Relationships, and Life
  • Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood
  • How to Change Anybody: Proven Techniques to Reshape Anyone's Attitude, Behavior, Feelings, or Beliefs
  • Friendship Crisis
  • The Feeling Good Handbook
  • The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness
  • The Personality Code: Unlock the Secret to Understanding Your Boss, Your Colleagues, Your Friends...and Yourself!
  • You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: A Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
  • What Should I Do with My Life?: The True Story of People Who Answered the Ultimate Question
  • The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play
  • The Mirror Effect: How Celebrity Narcissism Is Seducing America
  • Organizing from the Inside Out: The Foolproof System For Organizing Your Home, Your Office and Your Life
  • How to Study
Daniel G. Amen, MD is a physician, child and adult psychiatrist, brain imaging specialist, bestselling author, Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and the CEO and medical director of Amen Clinics, Inc. (ACI) in Newport Beach and Fairfield, California, Tacoma, Washington and Reston, Virginia .

ACI is the world leader in applying brain imaging science to clinical practice. AC
More about Daniel G. Amen...

“It is interesting to note that the people who had a good relationship with the person who died often heal their grief much more easily than those whose relationship with the deceased was filled with turmoil, bitterness, or disappointment. The reason is that a positive relationship is associated with good memories, and remembering and reprocessing these memories helps in the healing process. When people who had a bad relationship think back on it, they have to relive the pain. In their mind, they are still trying to fix what was wrong, to heal the wound, but they can’t. In addition, the guilt they carry with them impairs the healing process. Donna is a case in point. Donna and her mother had had a stormy relationship, fighting constantly over things that seemed insignificant in and of themselves. Yet in spite of their problems, the year after her mother’s death was the hardest of Donna’s life. Her husband could not understand the force of her grief; all he had ever heard her do was complain that her mother was selfish and uninterested in her. What he failed to understand was that Donna had to grieve not only over her mother’s death, but also over the fact that now she would never have the mother-daughter bond she had always wanted. Death had ended all her hopes.” 2 likes
“When the deep limbic system is less active, there is generally a positive, more hopeful state of mind. When it is heated up, or overactive, negativity can take over.” 1 likes