Start by marking “Pushing Up Bluebonnets” as Want to Read:
Pushing Up Bluebonnets

Pushing Up Bluebonnets (A Yellow Rose Mystery #5)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  443 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
When asked to help identify a young woman who may not survive an attempted murder, Abby discovers a possible connection between the girl and a prominent Houston family-the questions about her past are getting stickier than pecan pie. Abby's about to learn the hard way that when she crawls out on a limb, she'd better be certain there's not someone behind her with a saw and ...more
Published January 2nd 2008 by New American Library (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pushing Up Bluebonnets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pushing Up Bluebonnets

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was truly a book that I did not want to put down for any length of time. I was caught up in the story from page one and was satisfied by the end of the book.

Great writing, good dialogue, and lovable characters made this book flow for me.

I truly want to read more about 'Abby' and her friends/family.
Laura de Leon
Jul 11, 2009 Laura de Leon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
For the first 3/4ths of this book, it was probably my favorite of the series. It seemed to have a maturity beyond that of the earlier books.

And then I got to the end. And it made no sense.

So I went back and listened to the end again.

My confusion is mostly my fault. When the large number of minor characters were introduced early on, some of them failed to make a significant impression. A key character was in this set.

And then I spaced out at the wrong time.

So, my fault. But only mostly!

Anyway,
Natalea
It was okay I guess. I liked the other books in the series better, even those with weaker plots. Maybe I just got tired of Abby and her perfect detective skills. Everybody she meets loves her and they tell her what a great investigator she is (this happened like 5 times!) Kate is a brilliant psychologist that all men adore. Jeff is manly and reticent and Doris kept on watching cartoons. No novelty here really and not very believable either.
Terri
Apr 23, 2008 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abby Rose is called by a small town sheriff to identify a young woman who had been in a terrible car wreck. The woman had Abby's card. An adoption investigator she researches the woman and finds many secrets that could be very threatening.

I like Abby and how she worked out a case that was much more complicated than she could have imagined.
Doranna Durgin
Apr 23, 2010 Doranna Durgin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leann Sweeney has a knack for writing characters who feel as though they could step out of the book and into your living room--and yet still believably have the adventures they do. Then she sets them in mysteries that avoid contrivances and the predictable, and wraps it all up into a satisfying journey and ending. Yum!
Sara
May 17, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every book in this series has just been better, and wow, Bluebonnets did NOT disappoint! Talk about a tangled web...just sit back and enjoy the ride!
Camilla
Nov 17, 2012 Camilla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-on-kindle
This was my first foray into the so-called "cosy mystery"-genre and I certainly hope that it does not represent the rest...

The mystery part of this story was quite interesting up until the big "reveal" which honestly was just so over-thought and overly done that it was just too unbelievable. And while I was not a big fan of main character Abby before that, her reaction to the big reveal was just too much! So unrealistic!

And even if I liked the general mystery and most of the story... Sweeney's i
Vickie
Oct 16, 2013 Vickie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
This is the second of this series I've read/listened to. It was enjoyable, if not more so, than SHOOT FROM THE LIP. Still had a few characters to keep up with, but it seemed easier this time. I really like Abby and her sister, Kate. The relationship Abby has with her boyfriend, a Houston police detective, is a partnership of love and respect. He wishes she wouldn't find herself in so many dangerous situations, but knows she has to do what she must since she's a private investigator. I admire tha ...more
Brenda Kirton
Feb 18, 2015 Brenda Kirton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-ebook, mystery
I really enjoyed this series. Although the author seems to her moved on to a new series which I have read and enjoyed also, I wish this series had continued, too.
Cherie Waggie
The story is fine, but I never saw the relationship between the story and the title. Bluebonnets aren't ever mentioned.
Mailis Viiand
I usually don't write reviews after getting to the tail end of the series, because by then no-one will probably care if the fifth one was good or not,truth is that you either check out the first one or have already read some of the books from the series, so one way or another you probably know if the series is something after your taste or not.
One thing is sure, I find these southern mysteries especially delightful because of the quirky language. If you can paint a picture with words, then these
Pat Beard
Feb 25, 2015 Pat Beard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun entry in this cozy series, unfortunately it is the last. Now to find another to read.
Susan
Aug 24, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-texas
When the police find Abby Rose's business card on the body of a severely injured accident victim, they turn to Abby for help in identifying the young woman. The answers Abby comes up with raise more questions. Abby's specialty is helping adoptees find their birth families, but the woman in question has apparently done this herself. Nobody knows anything about the life she lived between the time someone gave her up and the time she found her family. But her secrets are even stranger than Abby can ...more
Paula
Mar 23, 2010 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The latest in the Yellow Rose series. I do enjoy these cozies, Leann does a good job of making them fun and interesting.

In this installment, Abby is asked to identify an accident victim who is in the hospital after a car accident. Her brakes had been tampered with so it's being investigated as a murder attempt. She doesn't understand why she's been called in to identify the young girl whom she has never met but soon finds out that her calling card had been found on the girl.
janny
Oct 24, 2014 janny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fun, cozy mystery series :o)
Erin
Nov 13, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adoption PI, Abby Rose is called in to assist with identifying a young woman who was a victim of attempted murder. As she delves into the young woman's background, she discovers a bigger mystery. This girl has no past. The more she searches, the more Abby's own safety is in danger.
This book has a heartwarming happy ending. I enjoyed the writing style and the lightness of the whole story.
Ann
Oct 08, 2009 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was decent for a quick, mindless read. It follows the usual mystery conventions and the heroine is the usual wise-cracking, junk-food-loving slob with a heart of gold. I was OK with all of that right up to the end when the mystery was solved and I just sat there thinking "You have GOT to be kidding me!"
Lynn Demsky
Aug 24, 2012 Lynn Demsky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have totally enjoyed this series! This one was much more complicated than the others in the series and yet Abby is still Abby and does spout out an adorable amount of just comical things! I am disappointed that I think I've read the whole series now....but they were all just GREAT reads!
Debbie
Sep 09, 2008 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers who want a quick read
Recommended to Debbie by: friend at work
Shelves: mystery
Abby Rose, an adoption private investigator, tries to find the identity of a girl in a coma, who appears to have had someone kill her by disabling her car. A quick read mystery with some slow parts, a decent ending, and a lot of annoying "southern cliches."
Janell
Jun 01, 2009 Janell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written mystery. The intrigue was pretty tricky and the characters enjoyable. Clean language. The 4 stars are for a book in this genre. It's definitely not classic material but quite in-depth for its kind.
Oct 15, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Turns out that I really liked this series. The main character, Abby Rose, is a private investigator specializing in adoptions. The books were all mysteries and had fun plot twists.
Vicky
Jul 27, 2009 Vicky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first 4 of this series. Was fairly slow at first, then took off but left too many loose ends as far as I was concerned and accepting a con was too far-fetched.
Grace
Jan 19, 2011 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this author and her character. But this mystery took a twist that made me go "huh?" It didn't feel real or authentic. Too bad, because the rest of the book was good.
Cindy
Aug 16, 2008 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, cozy, series
solid mystery from a series I enjoy. I skipped a few, so there were some characters I hadn't seen before, but it was still easy enough to follow.
Joanna
Mar 08, 2008 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So sad to read the excerpt from her upcoming release and find that it is a different series. Bring back Abby Rose!
Genji Bailey
Jun 22, 2012 Genji Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a good story. Author is getting more complex while maintaining the main characters. Loved it!
Sari
Nov 21, 2012 Sari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED Abby as a character and all her smart talking. PLEASE keep writing on this series!
Karen Cameron
Ideally like the Abby Rose stories, and this was no different. A really fun read.
Mary Dearden
Aug 24, 2013 Mary Dearden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cozy mystery. This one had a more complicated plot line and some interesting characters.
Trish
Aug 19, 2014 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Pity I've gotten to the end of this series - I enjoyed them.
  • Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3)
  • Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder, #4)
  • Who Let That Killer in the House? (Thoroughly Southern, #5)
  • North of Clever (Hannah Garvey Mystery #3)
  • The Case of the Tough-Talking Turkey (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #2)
  • It Happened One Knife (Double Feature Mystery #2)
  • Fonduing Fathers (A White House Chef Mystery, #6)
  • Darkship Renegades
  • Bayou My Love
  • The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #5)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Murder (Debutante Dropout, #2)
  • Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3)
Leann Sweeney was born and raised in Niagara Falls and educated at St. Joseph's Hospital and Lemoyne College in Syracuse, NY. She also has a degree from the University of Houston in behavioral science and worked for many years in psychiatry. Currently a school nurse, she began writing about fifteen years ago, fulfilling her lifelong dream. After perfecting her writing skills with classes and a sma ...more
More about Leann Sweeney...

A Yellow Rose Mystery (5 books)
  • Pick Your Poison (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #1)
  • A Wedding to Die For (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #2)
  • Dead Giveaway (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #3)
  • Shoot from the Lip (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #4)