Start by marking “County Fair” as Want to Read:
County Fair

County Fair (My First Little House Books)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  15 reviews
It’s an exciting day for Almanzo as the Wilder family visits the county fair in this second My First Little House Book adapted from Laura Ingalls Wilder’s classic Farmer Boy. There are contests, races, and good things to eat, and Almanzo can’t wait to see what the judges think of his special pumpkin. Jody Wheeler’s luminous illustrations bring Laura’s beloved farmer boy to ...more
Published September 5th 1998 by HarperCollins (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about County Fair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about County Fair

Kim♥
Much to my delight, my boys who are five and two absolutely love these books! The "My First Little House" series takes stories out of the original little house books and illustrates them beautifully. My boys love to point out each family member and my five year old asks lots of questions. These books have become a wonderful way to introduce history and "the simple life" to my little ones. These books have great family values. :)
Christina Fisher
What's great about this book is that it is a wonderful "lead-in" to the higher-level chapter books of Laura Ingalls Wilder's series "Little House on the Prairie". This story follows her husband, Almanzo Wilder as a young boy going to the fair. He gets to enjoy some turn of the century games, treats, and sights, as well as have his pumpkin judged for a prize. Young students in kindergarten through third grade will really enjoy this book and seeing the differences and similarities of fairs from ye ...more
Miri
A My First Little House Book - Almanzo and his family are going to the county fair, Almanzo is entering a pumpkin in a competition hoping to win a prize.
Adrienne
Love, love, love the illustrations, especially the ones involving food. My only complaint about this book is that it makes me hungry!
Rosa Cline
These "My First Little House Books" are a perfect way to introduce your special little one to Laura Ingallas Wilder and her stories. My 3 year old granddaughter and I have been enjoying these books since she was old enough to sit in my lap and look at the wonderful illustrations!

In this one Almanzo is the main characters and his family. They are all excited to be going to the county fair. They all have special things they've made and raised to put in the exhibits. They are all enjoying their day
Catherine
This book was wonderful for my preschoolers to read as my older children and I were listening to Farmer Boy on audiobook. It tells one of the best parts of the story, and the illustrations feel very true to the book. I really recommend the entire My First Little House picture books for little ones just getting to know the Ingalls and Wilder families!
Robin (jason&robin)
I came across this book and some others like it at the library. I was excited to read them to the kids because we have been listening to the Little House audiobooks in the car. This story comes right out of Farmer Boy and it was fun to listen to it and then read and see pictures as well. I liked the illustrations as well.
Bree
Notes:
All the books in this series are beautiful.
Great intro to pioneer life, but may not connect to preschoolers with no frame of reference.
Son read them after he first learned to read.
Excerpted from Wilder's actual books.
Jessica Bennett
A book about a boy who goes to the fair with his family and his pumpkin won first prize. Since this little boy won a prize for his pumpkin, I feel that this book will show children that they can do anything they set their minds too!
Jodie
I loved the original series and never realized that they turned this into a picture book series too. I adore the beautiful illustrations of the stories that I have come to love.
Melea
Lovely illustrations. Gentle story which portrays a past time. Of course, I love Laura Ingalls Wilder and always have, so that probably influences my rating.
Theresa
country life is not easy for the modern child to imagine the illustrations in the book bring the story to life
Jess
Gorgeous illustrations! Recommended for fans of children's books and the Little House series.
Mandy J. Hoffman
A cute window into what fairs use to be like...and what they should be like today! :-)
Faith
Carli
Carli added it
Jan 16, 2015
 Gen
Gen marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Christine Jones scott
Christine Jones scott marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
  • Clap Your Hands
  • Angelina and Henry
  • Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet
  • Big Pumpkin
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

My First Little House Books (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • My Little House ABC (My First Little House Books)
  • A Little Prairie House
  • My Little House 123 (My First Little House Books)
  • Hello, Laura (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Christmas (My First Little House Books)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Laura Helps Pa (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Laura's Little House (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Garden (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Summertime in the Big Woods
Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2) Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) The Little House Collection (Little House, #1-9) On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4) Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)