Start by marking “DragonSpell (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
DragonSpell (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #1)

DragonSpell (DragonKeeper Chronicles #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  7,126 ratings  ·  402 reviews
One Dragon Egg Holds the Key to the Future.

Once a slave, Kale is given the unexpected opportunity to become a servant to Paladin. Yet this young girl has much to learn about the difference between slavery and service.

A Desperate Search Begins…

A small band of Paladin’s servants rescue Kale from danger but turn her from her destination: The Hall, where she was to be trained
ebook
Published May 20th 2008 by WaterBrook Press (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about DragonSpell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DragonSpell

Tereasa
Sep 26, 2007 Tereasa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I would sort this book under Christian Fantasy. I have read 3 of the 4 books and each one gets better as you become more involved in the lives of the characters. I really like this book for middle school age children because it is so hard to find good wholesome books for this age anymore. My 12 years old son couldn't put these books down. Unlike Harry Potter (which I love), there is no swearing, and no terribly descriptive gore. I finished the book feeling really good about what I read.
Emilie Smith
May 24, 2008 Emilie Smith rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-teen girls and boys to older adults like me
Recommended to Emilie by: Nathan Waddell, my son, whom I gave the book to originally
Shelves: fantasy
Dragonspell, the first in a 4 book series, is an easy, fun and exciting read. A delightful allegory of what it means to be a follower of God, well written as a story of challenge and conquest as a young girl, raised as a slave, learns to find her stength in her relationship with Paladin. She discovers her gift of finding dragon eggs and is drawn to find a large clutch, as well as using the talent to find the rare Meech Dragon egg, and rescue it from the evil Wizard who tries to obtain the power ...more
drowningmermaid
This is a-- pretty bad book, and not worth reading at all unless you're a Christian.

Basically, it's Dragonlance + Evangelical worldview - ANY in-group tension. (That would be, take away Raistlin Majere and make Tanis not a half-elf. Instead, give all the uber-nice NPCs in "Dragons of Autumn Twilight" their own book.) It's the Dragonlance that the Bible Belt can put its seal of approval on. (And they did, if you look at the awards this has won.)

I guess you could argue that there's some tension r
Jill Williamson
After a lifetime of slavery, fourteen-year-old Kale is set free. She travels to The Hall in Vendela where she will receive her training as a servant. Before she can reach her destination, ogres attack her. She escapes into a cave where she finds seven small dragon eggs. When she comes back outside, she is rescued by Paladin servants. They inform her that Paladin has given her a gift, the ability to find dragon eggs, and persuade her to leave her journey to The Hall for another quest: find a miss ...more
Randy Blackwell
This novel is one of the most imaginative Christian fiction novels that I have read since The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I have spoken to the author over the phone and she was very helpful, humble, and kind. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read something with an intense spark of imagination with Biblical symbolism that mixes seemlessly with the story. Thank you Donita, for the wonderful read.
Whitley Birks
Nov 17, 2014 Whitley Birks marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
After more than a week I'm still barely halfway through. I'm throwing in the towel. The plot is not engaging thanks to a massive detour before we even get into the meat of the quest, the writing is bland and can't handle emotions so character development pops right the fuck out of nowhere and just gets summarized, and the overt religious bits are annoyingly preachy. Plus, while the worldbuilding has potential, it's not displayed well enough to get into. It's just a string of interesting details ...more
Melissa
I really really wanted to like this book. I am a huge fan of Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and the Peter and the Starcatchers series. I do enjoy Young Adult/Children’s fiction occasionally. So when the opportunity arose to read Dragonspell and review this for Waterbrook Multnomah’s Blogging for Books program, I was really excited. Unfortunately, it was short lived. I just couldn’t get past the first three chapters. I really can’t put my fin ...more
Timothy Stone
After enjoying the first three books of author Donita K. Paul's *Dragons of Chiril* series that have been released to date, I decided to pick up and begin reading the series she previously wrote, *The Dragonkeeper Chronicles*. I discovered that the series was different, though no less enjoyable, in key ways.

This series, though written before the more recent one, is chronologically *much* later, and on a different continent of the world to boot. The Paladin, chief servant and representative of W
Blaine
Donita Paul's "DragonSpell" captivated my attention with its action filled plot, inspiring main character, and detailed words.
To start, the plot was filled with action, but not very original. The entire book revolved around the main character and her journey to find the Meech dragon egg, and along the way trying to find herself and her place in the world. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's just getting old. What made me like Donita's book the most was the action in e
Bill Tillman
The fantastic land of Amara is recovering from years of war inflicted on its citizens by outside forces–as well as from the spiritual apathy corroding the Amarans’ hearts. With Kale and her father serving as dragon keepers for Paladin, the dragon populace has exploded. It’s a peaceful, exciting time of rebuilding. And yet, an insidious, unseen evil lurks just beneath the surface of the idyllic countryside.

Truth has never been more important, nor so difficult to discern.

As Kale and her father ar
Epeeblade
There were elements I really enjoyed in this novel. I liked a female main character and some of the world building was neat - especially the adorable minor dragons. However, I strongly dislike fiction where I get a sense I'm being preached to and I couldn't shake that throughout my reading of this one, unfortunately.

There's one bit of world building that I just couldn't shake either. Kale starts out as a village slave. Everyone knows she used to be a slave. But we never encounter any other slave
Abby
This book failed terribly. I kept thinking about just returning it (thank goodness it was from the library!), but one part finally clinched it. The author goes into a detailed list of the "seven high races" of their world and EVERY single name sounds like randomly generated gibberish. I was worried about memorizing all of the countless races when I suddenly stumbled upon the "seven low races." I can handle memorizing many new races and names, but not when they're so blatantly thrown in my face a ...more
Margaret
Aug 30, 2014 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of adventure
Recommended to Margaret by: Amy Andrews
This book kept me giggling and curious for more. With a full combination of Dumbledore and Gandolf, with Jesus and God the Father, as well as the Fellowship of the Ring, and flashes of the Shadow of Evil plot in mind... this book is a wonderful original that is reminiscent of many wonderful things that takes you to no place like you have ever been.

Kale is a simple o'rant girl who does not think too highly of herself. This is a story where Paladin comes to her in ways unimagined and shows her wh
Alyssa
Neat book of adventure, danger, and friendship. Character developement was excellent; you very quickly developed a sense of who they where and their personalities. Story line was nicely paced, not too fast like some, and had lots of action followed by short "breaks" which was really nice. I loved the dragons and their antics, which made me smile as I read. I can't wait to read the next book for which I have high expectations.
Leigh Ann
I read this book aloud to Shayla and we loved it. This is written in the style of Chronicles of Narnia in that many things have two meanings. It is written by a Christian author and it is a book about dragons. It starts slow, as there is a lot of history and explaining, but after you get into it it is very good. Anxious to read the next one!!
Kit
The thing I like the most about this book even though I'm not very far in it, is the chapters are two to three pages long each. So when I want to do a quick read at night before bed, a cinch, or while I'm cooking lunch, a cinch. I hate it when you are in the middle of a ten page chapter and am trying to go to sleep. lol
Cheryl
I liked this book! Interesting characters, in fact a very interesting and imaginitive world Donita Paul has created. I have read three in this series so far, and really enjoyed them. I love the Christian allegory, it is one other way for my Violet to understand God's world.
Bethany
Kale, a village slave, uncovers a rare talent for finding dragon eggs. She embarks on a quest to fight against evil, all the while encountering dangerous monsters, good friends, and sometimes mysteries! I recommend these books for teenaged Christian readers.
Philip
DragonSpell is definitely a breakthrough in fantasy fiction, especially for the allegory category. There was definitely more intensity in it than I've read in previous Christian fantasy fiction, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Faith
I loved this book! I read to my kids at night and this was a wonderful book for them and me...It was a wonderfully creative way to combine christianity with fantasy.
Abby
Dragon Spell is part of an amazing book series! BBITW!!! ( best book in the world ) READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruth
Kale is a young o'rant slave girl, used to taking orders and living a safe, predictable existence, until her world is rocked by the discovery of a unique talent. She possesses the rare and unique gift of discovering valuable dragon eggs. Sent to the city of Vendela to undertake training at The Hall so she can enter the service of Paladin, her carefully laid plans go awry when she's nearly kidnapped and then her rescuers inform her that she must go questing. Kale and her new comrades have been co ...more
Bea
It's rare that I rate the book with one star, so I think I owe an explanation. Usually, if I don't like some book I just drop it and don't bother more. I even do not put it in my list. Also, the one star has nothing to do with fact, that the book is for children. I'm often reading children books, so I can recommend them or read with kids.

Stories with dragons are my favorites and plot was very promising, so I gladly picked this book from my unread shelf.
The first chapters were good enough and I
Donna
Kale is a lowly servant girl from River Away who has found a dragon egg. She is immediately sent to the City of Vendela to see the rulers there. Kale is excited to enter the city as she has never seen anything like this before, but during an attack is drawn into a cave and to more dragon eggs. She soon discovers that she is expected to go on a quest with Leetu and Dar to find a meech egg. She is the mighty "Dragon Keeper," although she doesn't believe it. Through their travels they meet good dra ...more
I really like this book. If you've ever looked at my shelves, you know that I am a huge fantasy geek. I found this book to be refreshing, clean, and enjoyable.
I found it refreshing because Ms. Paul doesn't try to copy Tolkien. A few of the character traits and themes were a bit unoriginal, but I didn't mind it. The characters are all unique in their own way.
I found it clean because there is not a single use of profanity anywhere. No innuendos, either. There is quite a bit of violence, but it is
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
I had the idea that this series was aimed at younger readers, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get into it or not (I'm 24). I was pleasantly surprised to find that the story was one that I could enjoy, and it definitely did not seem like something exclusively for younger ages.

The world that Donita Paul has created with this series is large and imaginative, perfect for a fantasy setting! The characters are likable (except for the villains, of course!), and the "talents" that some of them have a
Molly Evangeline
Dragonspell by Donita K. Paul is the first book in the DragonKeeper Chronicles, a five book Christian fantasy series. Considering my love for the genre, I began the book anxious to see if I would be adding another series to the shelf of my slowly growing Christian fantasy collection. After finishing it, I have to give the book about 3 1/2 stars. It took me several days to finish, a sure sign that it didn't hold my interest like some books I devour in two or three days. Though full of action, it ...more
Cana Elene (http://placeofreeds.blogspot.com)
First of all let me say that I LOVED this series of books. I've read them all over and over again.

So Kale who was raised as a slave in one culture/race finds out that because of her gift to find dragon eggs she is to go to serve Paladin. But before she can make it to the city, she is whisked away by a quest party that needs her help. On the way she has to learn to trust others, trust Wulder, and trust that her gifts are important just the way they were given to her.

Kale is a character you love
Scarletstories
A fantastic, easy-to-follow read. I enjoyed the characters and the plot took several twists and turns I didn't see coming, which is a pleasant surprise for me.

I really loved the character of Kale. She wasn't one of those stereotypical, headstrong female characters who can do anything and doesn't need anyone's help. She was being shoved into a world she didn't understand. She needed help, and she wasn't against apologizing when she did something wrong.

Dar was possibly my favorite character. He w
Beth
I read DragonSpell a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I bought every book in the series and the other day I realized that I never read the last two books in the series. Somehow, in between college and everything else, the books just sat on the bottom shelf on my bookcase at home. I didn't remember a lot of the key details, so I decided to just start from the beginning.

I had forgotten how charming these books are. Kale, the main character, is a former slave and very naive. I think she is supp
Dragons, dragons ...: Dragonkeeper 1 7 Sep 14, 2012 05:55AM
  • The Candlestone (Dragons in Our Midst, #2)
  • Curse of the Spider King (The Berinfell Prophecies, #1)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
I am an author of Christian Fantasy. My first 7 books were Christian Romance, but I came over to the Dark Side when I heard there were cookies.
More about Donita K. Paul...
DragonQuest (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #2) DragonKnight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #3) DragonFire (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #4) DragonLight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #5) The Vanishing Sculptor (Valley of the Dragons, #1)

“He fainted. Then he came to and remembered what happened and fainted again.” 65 likes
“Perhaps it's rude to notice when a wizard does something strange.” 24 likes