Start by marking “Unraveled: The True Story of a Woman Who Dared to Become a Different Kind of Mother” as Want to Read:

As a twelve-year-old girl, Maria Housden’s vision of a happy future included everything that society expects girls to yearn for: a home, a husband, and, of course, children. Life had other plans.

Unraveled is Housden’sriveting and thoughtful story of how, after the death of her young daughter, she found the courage to break away from her role as a wife and stay-at-home mom
Published June 7th 2005 by Harmony (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Unraveled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unraveled

Nicolas Shump
Jan 11, 2009 Nicolas Shump rated it really liked it
Okay, this book almost needs to be read in tandem with her earlier "Hannah's Gift" about the brief life of her daughter who died as a toddler. After the death of her daughter, the author's marriage begins to fall apart. So, she takes a retreat where she meets a man who becomes her second husband. They have a torrid affair while on this retreat and she comes home to tell her husband that she doesn't love him any longer and wants a divorce.
She also chooses to leave, one or two children, with her
Mary
Jun 29, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
I had a hard time not judging her. This book was like Eat Pray Love but with children. I can’t imagine the pain of losing a child or how that would change my marriage. What she did was not the norm but it worked for her and her family. I can get the self exploration and looking at life different after watching your child die. Would I end my marriage? I don’t know. The story does have a some what happy ending as she finds new love. It did bother me that she started her new relationship while stil ...more
K
May 13, 2007 K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, chicklit
A book club friend lent this to me. It's interesting, but pretty heavy. I see that I was right for rejecting her first book, "Hannah's Gift," as too potentially depressing. Even the brief passages describing Hannah's death in this book started me sobbing; I certainly couldn't have read an entire book about that. Her description of her marriage's apparent demise is also pretty depressing. All in all, the writing is good but the subject matter is a downer. I'll probably finish it, but I wouldn't ...more
Audrey
Apr 08, 2008 Audrey rated it really liked it
I flew through this book, read 2/3 of it on flight from Paris to Dulles. I came across this book because I have read several of the author's now 2nd ex-husband's poetry collection and commentaries. Roger Housden brings so mych flavor to the poems, and he mentions Maria Housden (Unraveled author) in the collection from while they were happily married (happily in love) and then in the more recent collection from after they split 6 years into marriage (putting his heart back together). The premise ...more
Katie
Apr 15, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing
Maria Housden is an exceptional writer, the way she wrote her book and how she explained things are what made the story all the more intriguing.
I haven't had the chance to read Hannah's gift yet but after reading Unravelled I am now determined to get myself the book 'Hannah's gift'.
Even though the book goes back and fourth through the past and present, the book is still easy to read and enjoyable.
I experienced the emotions of the characters in the book which helped me to imagine the scene so muc
Apr 27, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
I read this book in just a couple of hours. Well written, touching, and very engrossing. The book is broken into two parts...the first part is her 10 days at a silent retreat with glimpses into her past and current life which led her to be at this point of uncertainty with her life. I loved the first part of the book. I've struggled with some of her same doubts and feelings of inadequacy as a mother. For me though, the second part of the book loses some it's charm. I don't actually have any ...more
Shallowreader VaVeros
 An enjoyable story. I was amazed that the author was a naive to believe that her husband was going to treat her fairly as to access to her children after the divorce. he had manipulated her constantly through their marriage - why would the divorce settlement be any different. I hope that she maintains her way of living and her children continue their openess with her because her ex's treatment of her will eventually be his downfall. A sad but uplifting story that would be helpful for anyone on ...more
Sonya Feher
Mar 06, 2009 Sonya Feher rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir, parenting
Christy
Jun 08, 2015 Christy rated it liked it
Although the story in this book is hard for many people to comprehend, it takes a lot of courage to be so open and honest. I'm giving it 3 stars because of the writing style and story layout. Part of the story had a timeline but the other part didn't. I never knew exactly when she was talking about. And it was just too poetic for my liking. The elaborate descriptions took away from the story instead of adding to it. And I felt the end was rushed.
Yvonne
An insightful read of a woman who dared to be different, despite disapprovals and frowns by the people she loved and held dear. She managed to find what she wanted and gave up a huge part of her life to find happiness and to bring happiness to her kids by letting go - something most mothers will not be able to achieve. She ached for her child who went before her but picked herself up and marched forward. She unlocked the chains of her life and lived a peaceful, happy and fulfilling life.
Booksdingle
I liked the way the book was written, short chapters - I got through it quickly. I thought the content would be something I could relate too, a womans battle to find herself, but I couldn't relate to the author leaving her children, however brave she may seem I just couldn't make the choices she did - I totally get the need to be independant and find oneself but not at expense of the children - I don't think women always have to be primary carers but for me it would be a no-brainer.
Mark
Aug 26, 2008 Mark rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
the worst book I have ever read. It's a ridiculous story of a woman attempting to justify leaving her husband and children. Not only is the subject matter objectionable, it is written in the style of a high school expository writing assignment. The author never uses just one adjective when she can use three. Just an awful waste of time.
Shaha
Mar 18, 2013 Shaha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-but-unowned
SYN: Maria write of her journey through losing her daughter Hannah to cancer, falling marriage, and finding love again with Roger and being independent.

I thought it was nicely written and that Maria's journey of battling life and getting over things was definitely note worthy.

My review: http://shahadaahmed.blogspot.com/2012...
Lindsey
Feb 10, 2012 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautiful and poeticall written. Dare I say that Maria Housden is definitely my new favorite author can't wait to read her other book. I couldn't put this one down it was my such a good steady interesting read.
Michaela Evanow
Jan 23, 2016 Michaela Evanow rated it liked it
This needs to be read after Hannah's Gift, the authors first book which is excellent. This is not.
It's a little slow moving, disjointed, but interesting if you know the back story.
It left me with mixed feelings. All in all, not a book if recommend to someone.
Catherine Dufton
Aug 04, 2011 Catherine Dufton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and I'm pleased the Maria is following her heart. Sometimes the book seemed too reflective as if she was just getting used to exploring and analysing thoughts, but maybe didn't need to include all of them.
Melinda Crumblin
Jul 10, 2016 Melinda Crumblin rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, but this is a confronting read. A mother who has lost one child to cancer, walks away from her marriage, leaving her three children in the primary of their father, the husband who was somewhat controlling and almost verbally abusive to his wife. Interesting read.
Carla
Feb 17, 2009 Carla rated it liked it
This is a well written book and it is an easy read. I would definitely recommend it to any of my mommy friends. I found the book to be more of a "story" than an "autobiography". Not sure if that makes sense or not and maybe that was the author's intention.
Stacy
Jan 21, 2009 Stacy rated it liked it
This book was ok. I can't imagine what it was like to be in her shoes when she made the decision to move away without her kids.

It was an easy read. I was a little disappointed in this book. I thought it would've been as good as her 1st book. That was about the death of her young child.
Dawn
Aug 02, 2011 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a mother, I found this book very difficult to relate to and admire. Her choices, however honest they were, were so much the opposite of any choices I believe a mother would make that I was actually angered by them.
Stacy
Nov 07, 2009 Stacy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Can you say "whiner?" I thought this was a poorly written memoir by someone who obviously has a lot of personal issues, and decided to work them out in a book and laugh all the way to the bank. I'm glad I borrowed this one from the library. Don't buy it!
Marianna
Jul 23, 2011 Marianna rated it liked it
I remember that this book made me angry. The woman basically abondons her children to "find" herself.
Jools
So sad at the beginning that I wished I hadn't started it but then the story is so inspiring that I coudln't put it down
Claire
Jul 28, 2011 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully told story of a woman who dared to be a different kind of mother. It's a challenging read, makes you think about what you value and why. Read it and think.
Becky
Aug 22, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
I read this in a day and a half. An interesting perspective on life and motherhood and the meaning behind the two.

Her first book, Hannah's Gift, is excellent too.
Mary
Apr 09, 2016 Mary rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit-reading
It didn't take me long to get sick of how Maria portrayed herself. Therefore, I quit reading it early on.
Peg Bailey
Excellent book....for women who challenge the rules and the norm. This helped me so much with my own life changes, divorce...etc. I needed to read her words!
Barb
Barb rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2008
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2009
Melissa Williams
Melissa Williams rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2013
  • Everything Lovely, Effortless, Safe
  • Dr. Gary Chapman on The Marriage You've Always Wanted
  • Mum's List: A Mother's Life Lessons to the Husband and Sons She Left Behind
  • Secret Daughter: A Mixed-Race Daughter and the Mother Who Gave Her Away
  • InuYasha Ani-Manga, Vol. 6 (Inuyasha Ani-Manga, #6)
  • 365 Ways To Change the World: How to Make a Difference-- One Day at a Time
  • It's Complicated (But It Doesn't Have to Be): A Modern Guide to Finding and Keeping Love
  • Perfume from Provence
  • San Sombrero: A Land of Carnivals, Cocktails and Coups
  • The Caretaker
  • Here Kitty Kitty: A Novel
  • Confessions of a Wonder Woman Wannabe: On a Mission to Save Sanity, One Mom at a Time
  • Alpha Girls: Understanding the New American Girl and How She Is Changing the World
  • Motherhood Matters: Joyful Reminders of the Divinity, Reality, and Rewards of Motherhood
  • Mama, PhD: Women Write about Motherhood and Academic Life