Start by marking “The Cruel Stars of the Night: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Cruel Stars of the Night: A Mystery

The Cruel Stars of the Night: A Mystery (Ann Lindell Mystery #6)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,388 ratings  ·  91 reviews
When The Princess of Burundi was published last year by Thomas Dunne Books, American critics hailed Kjell Eriksson as Sweden's Ed McBain, and they compared him to Henning Mankell. Now The Cruel Stars of the Night, the next in this internationally acclaimed crime series, unveils a spellbinding new tale again featuring police inspector Ann Lindell.

The Cruel Stars of the Nigh
Published May 1st 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Cruel Stars of the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cruel Stars of the Night

Dorothy
I'm always hesitant to criticize the translation of a book from another language into English. After all, English is not an easy language, and I think it must be very difficult to convey the meaning of another language into English in a smooth, easy-flowing manner. That being the case, I still must say that I found this particular translation by Ebba Segerberg of Kjell Eriksson's The Cruel Stars of the the Night from Swedish into English to be particularly clunky and stilted. It is likely that i ...more
Paul Patterson
I am a rather slow reader, rarely is a book a "page turner" for me. An exception to this was Kjell Eriksson's The Cruel Stars of the Night. I read the book at record speed in two days! Why?

First of all I think that the translation must be excellent since the words flow smoothly without the jarring transitions that sometimes characterize translated works. It was poetic mystery writing.

Another reason for my enthusiastic reading was that the book "hooked" me. Not so much because of the typical wh
Nancy Oakes
In this, Eriksson’s second book to be translated into English, we once again meet up with Ann Lindell and her team from the Uppsala police department’s Violent Crimes division. This time, the team is called in to investigate the seemingly motiveless deaths of three elderly men, all very quiet, all living alone. The police, in the search for anything which might lead them to a killer, try to fathom why these men were killed and what tied their lives together. Lindell gets the idea that perhaps sh ...more
Cornerofmadness
Michael
The last fifty pages or so are great. The rest, however, are a little boring. A bit too slow moving for my tastes. The structure is very similar to The Princess of Burundi, and it's really not my cup of tea. I prefer police procedurals that are entirely from the police's point of view. I like the sense of discovery; it's lost in novels like this where you get to know more than the protagonists.
Glennie
I simply could not get into the book. I didn't have any interest in the characters. Maybe something gets lost in translation, but I find the writing style to be very choppy and it was not holding my interest. I've marked it as "read", just to leave a review, but I didn't finish it.
Carole Tyrrell

This is the second Ann Lindell mystery that I’ve read and it was as enjoyable and fascinating as the first. A Machiavellian and twisting plot which I read in one go.
It makes a change to read about a successful female detective whose personal problems don’t dominate the story. Police Inspector Lindell of the Uppsala police is a single mother with a little boy, Erik, and an ex-lover Edward who isn’t his father. It’s woven into the story matter of factly with little touches such as Ann kicking Erik
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Another good mystery novel by Eriksson. He does an amazing job of describing the internal thoughts of his characters - especially his characters that are slightly deranged :)
In the beginning of this story one elderly gentleman is reported missing by his daughter Laura. The members of the Uppsala Violent Crime Division, however, are less concerned about this case and feel the elderly a gentleman - a professor - will eventually turn up. Inspector Ann Lindell and her colleagues can find no motive f
Anna
Aug 06, 2011 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those liking Scandinavian crime
Shelves: 2011, bookcrossing
I can't apparently resist thrillers, procedurals, or detectives that are located anywhere exotic, so of course I could not just walk past this book without reading it.

The writing style lets you know all the protagonists and how they think, and what makes them click. Ann Lindell, a single mum police officer is not my favorite investigator or detective out there, but I enjoyed following the story around her. There were tons of details where Sweden and swedishness was brought there: imagining the
Michael
Mysterytribune
Kjell Eriksson is a Swedish crime-writer and the author of the novels such as The Princess of Burundi and The Cruel Stars of the Night, the former of which was awarded the Swedish Crime Writers’ Academy Best Swedish Crime Novel Award in 2002.

The Cruel Stars of the Night, the second book in the internationally acclaimed crime series which started with The Princess of Burundi, unveils a spellbinding new tale again featuring police inspector Ann Lindell.The book opens one snowy day when thirty-five
Arielle
Loretta
Jane
Watch out: spoiler (sort of). Good Swedish detective/crime novel. The main detective character, Ann Lindell, is a single mother and very appealing. The other character we share our time with is odd and enigmatic. The reader has a very different experience from the detective. It reminded me of the narrative structure of Karin Fossum's Eva's Eye where the main question driving the reader is not so much whodunit but how and why.
Lena
I found this book to be a rather slow read. While the mystery was interesting in itself, it got a bit confusing - the characters seemed a bit similar, and it was rather tiresome going back to work out who was who. The story itself was good - interesting and gripping, and it all did some together at the end in a somewhat unexpected manner. Therefore I intend to read more books by this author.
Chris Morris
Kjell Eriksson was billed to me as a contemporary of Henning Mankell, so I started reading this book with high expectations. What I found was an OK crime novel and one captivating character (Laura).

The plot didn't move along fluidly like some of the novels penned by the great Scandinavian crime writers (Nesbo, Larson, etc.). It felt herky-jerky, which led to me putting it down several times in favor of other books. When I finally resolved to finish it, I did like where Eriksson took the story.

I
Kyra
I really liked this book! I didn't realize as I read it thst it was 6 in a series. Now I will have to read others. Also, now that I see the character's name again, I wonder if this series is the badis of the TV show "The Killing " which was one of my favorite shows.
Jane
I did not enjoy this as much as I did The Princess of Burundi, the previous book in this series with police detective Ann Lindell. This one is all about the mind and psyche of the criminal, and the Princess of Burundi emphasized police procedures and interviews with the victim's survivors, really giving a sense of the community. I liked that. I really am not that interested in the f***ed-up-ness of the criminal, who is some kind of foil to Ann Lindell, and the multiple-murder mystery was not tha ...more
TheRealMelbelle
I love a good mystery but this one also excelled in character development and was so nicely written. The characters were flawed individuals who really breathed with life. For adult readers. The somber and poetic Swedes are beautiful. I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to be able to read it in the original language but I think the translation work must be wonderful.
Here is a poem from near the end of the book,

"When evening drives away the shining day
And our deep night to others brings t
Minty McBunny
I don't know if it was the fact that I haven't read the previous books, translation issues, or just lack of interesting characters, but I couldn't finish this. I read 200 of 318 pages and still couldn't bring myself to care about the outcome.
Jaron
It took a while for me to really get in to this crime novel, and I feel like I would have been pulled along more quickly if it hadn't been for the rambling, digressive narrative style. It was a Swedish translation, though, and I saw the same tendencies while reading Steig Larssen's books, so maybe it's a matter of perspective.

It's tough to review a book like this without spoilers, but I think I can say this as it is given away on the jacket copy: About half of the book was police procedural and
Mary
Suspense with psychological insight. I would never have thought to find shelter from a fire under an overturned bath tub. Set in Sweden.
Greg
Kjell Ericksson writes a great mystery story and develops great characters that sets the stage for a dramatic conclusion. Inspector Ann Lindell and her colleagues are baffled by a series of murders until an obscure theory is presented that seems to fit but would lead to a dramatic final murder. In the meantime there is a missing professor and his daughter is purging all his possessions from the house, as well as basically forcing a work colleague into a sexual relationship (even though he is mar ...more
Palmreader
A very sympathetic woman detective inspector, with the usual angst and a bit more because of her peculiar traits. But the story was lacking a bit of finish. Perhaps the series gets better as it goes along.
Monika
Sjätte delen om Ann Lindell är ännu ett kliv uppåt och jag får nog räkna den som den bästa i serien, hittills i alla fall. Kanske är det bara jag som börjar vänja mig, men den är väldigt nära en fyra i betyg. Läs mer på http://bokslut.blogspot.se/2014/07/na...
This was easier to pick up (since it's the middle of the series) than book #4 - I really wish publisher's made entire series available as translations! This is a pretty good psychological look at a killer; the story is told partially in flashbacks which makes it interesting. One red herring was introduced that didn't make much sense to me. Also, the pacing was a bit uneven - it really picked up midway through until the end, but the beginning dragged on. Also, unlike the previous book, Anne reall ...more
Mary Ahlgren
Brilliant exploration of a disturbed mind.
Mark
Maybe this is all a matter of translation difficulties, but I suspect not. It is not technically fair to say I've read this, since I gave up midway through the third chapter, but for me, there were just one too many odd non-sequitur references in the writing, so after I encountered one about a woman remembering two high school tormentors who she had seen on TV, when there was no previous reference to a TV appearance, I thought, why struggle through this?

Discard pile.
Scandinavian Crim...: Cruel Stars of The Night by Kjell Eriksson 1 6 Feb 20, 2012 06:38PM
  • The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2)
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • The Return (Inspector Van Veeteren #3)
  • The Fourth Man
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3)
  • Black Seconds (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #6)
  • Furðustrandir (Inspector Erlendur #11)
  • Missing
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
Karl Stig Kjell Eriksson is a Swedish crime-writer, author of the novels The Princess of Burundi and The Cruel Stars of the Night, the former of which was awarded the Swedish Crime Writers' Academy Best Swedish Crime Novel Award in 2002. They have both recently been translated into English by Ebba Segerberg.

Series:
* Ann Lindell Mystery
More about Kjell Eriksson...

Ann Lindell Mystery (10 books)
  • Den upplysta stigen
  • Jorden må rämna
  • Il giardino di pietra
  • The Princess of Burundi (Ann Lindell, #4)
  • Nachtschwalbe
  • The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell, #7)
  • The Hand That Trembles (Ann Lindell, #8)
  • Black Lies, Red Blood (Ann Lindell Mystery #9)
  • Öppen grav
The Princess of Burundi (Ann Lindell, #4) The Hand That Trembles (Ann Lindell, #8) The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell, #7) Black Lies, Red Blood (Ann Lindell Mystery #9) Kjell