Start by marking “The Cruel Stars of the Night: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Cruel Stars of the Night: A Mystery

The Cruel Stars of the Night: A Mystery (Ann Lindell Mystery #6)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  1,986 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
When The Princess of Burundi was published by Thomas Dunne Books, American critics hailed Kjell Eriksson as Sweden's Ed McBain, and they compared him to Henning Mankell. Now The Cruel Stars of the Night, the next in this internationally acclaimed crime series, unveils a spellbinding new tale again featuring police inspector Ann Lindell.

The Cruel Stars of the Night opens on
Published May 1st 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Cruel Stars of the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cruel Stars of the Night

Dorothy
I'm always hesitant to criticize the translation of a book from another language into English. After all, English is not an easy language, and I think it must be very difficult to convey the meaning of another language into English in a smooth, easy-flowing manner. That being the case, I still must say that I found this particular translation by Ebba Segerberg of Kjell Eriksson's The Cruel Stars of the the Night from Swedish into English to be particularly clunky and stilted. It is likely that i ...more
Helen
Oct 31, 2016 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-books, fiction
3.5. This nicely lasted for exactly one whole return rail journey, perfect. It is clear fairly early on (to the reader) who the murderer is, but the reader is privy to a great deal which the police do not know, so the POV is not the usual one. We do not know why or how and we have to work out the motive, which is far from clear.
There is a great deal of wanton destruction in this story (if you're a lover of old books, be warned - there is an upsetting scene!) Also much broken glass and damage to
Michael
Apr 14, 2009 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The last fifty pages or so are great. The rest, however, are a little boring. A bit too slow moving for my tastes. The structure is very similar to The Princess of Burundi, and it's really not my cup of tea. I prefer police procedurals that are entirely from the police's point of view. I like the sense of discovery; it's lost in novels like this where you get to know more than the protagonists.
Nancy Oakes
In this, Eriksson’s second book to be translated into English, we once again meet up with Ann Lindell and her team from the Uppsala police department’s Violent Crimes division. This time, the team is called in to investigate the seemingly motiveless deaths of three elderly men, all very quiet, all living alone. The police, in the search for anything which might lead them to a killer, try to fathom why these men were killed and what tied their lives together. Lindell gets the idea that perhaps sh ...more
Michael
Apr 01, 2009 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Paul Patterson
I am a rather slow reader, rarely is a book a "page turner" for me. An exception to this was Kjell Eriksson's The Cruel Stars of the Night. I read the book at record speed in two days! Why?

First of all I think that the translation must be excellent since the words flow smoothly without the jarring transitions that sometimes characterize translated works. It was poetic mystery writing.

Another reason for my enthusiastic reading was that the book "hooked" me. Not so much because of the typical wh
Glennie
Jun 17, 2012 Glennie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scandinavian
I simply could not get into the book. I didn't have any interest in the characters. Maybe something gets lost in translation, but I find the writing style to be very choppy and it was not holding my interest. I've marked it as "read", just to leave a review, but I didn't finish it.
Mary Ahlgren
Oct 11, 2014 Mary Ahlgren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant exploration of a disturbed mind.
Bahar Satari
May 05, 2017 Bahar Satari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good
Cornerofmadness
Dec 26, 2014 Cornerofmadness rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Sue
Feb 28, 2017 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable procedural. Although it is obvious early on 'who done it' the unravelling is very readable. I liked Ann and her police colleagues. Always interested to see differences between the various localities even if never even been to the country!
Mysterytribune
Kjell Eriksson is a Swedish crime-writer and the author of the novels such as The Princess of Burundi and The Cruel Stars of the Night, the former of which was awarded the Swedish Crime Writers’ Academy Best Swedish Crime Novel Award in 2002.

The Cruel Stars of the Night, the second book in the internationally acclaimed crime series which started with The Princess of Burundi, unveils a spellbinding new tale again featuring police inspector Ann Lindell.The book opens one snowy day when thirty-five
Anna
Aug 06, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those liking Scandinavian crime
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2011
I can't apparently resist thrillers, procedurals, or detectives that are located anywhere exotic, so of course I could not just walk past this book without reading it.

The writing style lets you know all the protagonists and how they think, and what makes them click. Ann Lindell, a single mum police officer is not my favorite investigator or detective out there, but I enjoyed following the story around her. There were tons of details where Sweden and swedishness was brought there: imagining the
Carole Tyrrell

This is the second Ann Lindell mystery that I’ve read and it was as enjoyable and fascinating as the first. A Machiavellian and twisting plot which I read in one go.
It makes a change to read about a successful female detective whose personal problems don’t dominate the story. Police Inspector Lindell of the Uppsala police is a single mother with a little boy, Erik, and an ex-lover Edward who isn’t his father. It’s woven into the story matter of factly with little touches such as Ann kicking Erik
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Another good mystery novel by Eriksson. He does an amazing job of describing the internal thoughts of his characters - especially his characters that are slightly deranged :)
In the beginning of this story one elderly gentleman is reported missing by his daughter Laura. The members of the Uppsala Violent Crime Division, however, are less concerned about this case and feel the elderly a gentleman - a professor - will eventually turn up. Inspector Ann Lindell and her colleagues can find no motive f
Loretta
Arielle
Greg
Kjell Eriksson's police procedural is set in Uppsala, Sweden, where Inspector Ann Lindell's team are investigating the brutal murder of two old men. Meanwhile the local police have been informed of the disappearance of a local history professor.

Lindell's investigation plods along for about half the book, developing twin plot lines about the dead farmers and how Laura, the professor's daughter, is coping with her father's disappearance. Ericksson then reveals a plot twist, but takes his time deve
Chris Morris
Kjell Eriksson was billed to me as a contemporary of Henning Mankell, so I started reading this book with high expectations. What I found was an OK crime novel and one captivating character (Laura).

The plot didn't move along fluidly like some of the novels penned by the great Scandinavian crime writers (Nesbo, Larson, etc.). It felt herky-jerky, which led to me putting it down several times in favor of other books. When I finally resolved to finish it, I did like where Eriksson took the story.

I
Gretta
Sep 27, 2015 Gretta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lorlee
Feb 07, 2017 Lorlee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jaron
Dec 23, 2010 Jaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a while for me to really get in to this crime novel, and I feel like I would have been pulled along more quickly if it hadn't been for the rambling, digressive narrative style. It was a Swedish translation, though, and I saw the same tendencies while reading Steig Larssen's books, so maybe it's a matter of perspective.

It's tough to review a book like this without spoilers, but I think I can say this as it is given away on the jacket copy: About half of the book was police procedural and
TheRealMelbelle
Jun 09, 2014 TheRealMelbelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a good mystery but this one also excelled in character development and was so nicely written. The characters were flawed individuals who really breathed with life. For adult readers. The somber and poetic Swedes are beautiful. I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to be able to read it in the original language but I think the translation work must be wonderful.
Here is a poem from near the end of the book,

"When evening drives away the shining day
And our deep night to others brings t
Jane
Dec 22, 2012 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy this as much as I did The Princess of Burundi, the previous book in this series with police detective Ann Lindell. This one is all about the mind and psyche of the criminal, and the Princess of Burundi emphasized police procedures and interviews with the victim's survivors, really giving a sense of the community. I liked that. I really am not that interested in the f***ed-up-ness of the criminal, who is some kind of foil to Ann Lindell, and the multiple-murder mystery was not tha ...more
Mar 27, 2013 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was easier to pick up (since it's the middle of the series) than book #4 - I really wish publisher's made entire series available as translations! This is a pretty good psychological look at a killer; the story is told partially in flashbacks which makes it interesting. One red herring was introduced that didn't make much sense to me. Also, the pacing was a bit uneven - it really picked up midway through until the end, but the beginning dragged on. Also, unlike the previous book, Anne reall ...more
Greg
Jan 10, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scandivavian, mystery
Kjell Ericksson writes a great mystery story and develops great characters that sets the stage for a dramatic conclusion. Inspector Ann Lindell and her colleagues are baffled by a series of murders until an obscure theory is presented that seems to fit but would lead to a dramatic final murder. In the meantime there is a missing professor and his daughter is purging all his possessions from the house, as well as basically forcing a work colleague into a sexual relationship (even though he is mar ...more
Richard Katz
I actually read this Ericksson's second book before reading his more acclaimed (and disappointing) Princess of Burundi. This was a much more satisfying read. An empathetic protagonist, a believable antagonist, affairs that make sense, and a charismatic second tier of characters. And more, clues that actually begin to add up from the beginning! Still not a spectacular bit of crime fiction, both gives us hope for Eriksson.
Jane
Feb 13, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Watch out: spoiler (sort of). Good Swedish detective/crime novel. The main detective character, Ann Lindell, is a single mother and very appealing. The other character we share our time with is odd and enigmatic. The reader has a very different experience from the detective. It reminded me of the narrative structure of Karin Fossum's Eva's Eye where the main question driving the reader is not so much whodunit but how and why.
Mark
Jun 28, 2009 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Maybe this is all a matter of translation difficulties, but I suspect not. It is not technically fair to say I've read this, since I gave up midway through the third chapter, but for me, there were just one too many odd non-sequitur references in the writing, so after I encountered one about a woman remembering two high school tormentors who she had seen on TV, when there was no previous reference to a TV appearance, I thought, why struggle through this?

Discard pile.
Gisela Hafezparast
Another really excellent book of the series, where you know more or less from the beginning who done it, but where the why is the journey you are going on. Plus the detectives personal development. Great read.
Scandinavian Crim...: Cruel Stars of The Night by Kjell Eriksson 1 6 Feb 20, 2012 06:38PM
  • The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2)
  • The Return (Inspector Van Veeteren #3)
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • The Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • The Water's Edge (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #8)
  • The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3)
  • Furðustrandir (Inspector Erlendur #11)
  • The Fourth Man
Karl Stig Kjell Eriksson is a Swedish crime-writer, author of the novels The Princess of Burundi and The Cruel Stars of the Night, the former of which was awarded the Swedish Crime Writers' Academy Best Swedish Crime Novel Award in 2002. They have both recently been translated into English by Ebba Segerberg.

Series:
* Ann Lindell Mystery
More about Kjell Eriksson...

Ann Lindell Mystery (10 books)
  • Den upplysta stigen