The Mystery of Things  (Ashland Grail Cycle, #1)

The Mystery of Things (Ashland Grail Cycle, #1)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The myth of St. George-and-the-Dragon comes to new and provocative life in a literary mystery set in a graduate studeis institute in Milwaukee. James Ireton is a gifted young Shakespeare scholar haunted by a tragic past and recurring nightmares of a Knight, a Lady and a vicious Dragon. James thinks they're just dreams, but when people close to him begin to fall victim to a...more
Published March 28th 2006 by Idylls Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of Things

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingSense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Book Covers with Art/Paintings
33rd out of 170 books — 27 voters
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn WaughThe Power and the Glory by Graham GreeneThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Divine Comedy by Dante AlighieriThe Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Catholic Fiction
221st out of 303 books — 247 voters

More lists with this book...

Ellen Gable
The Mystery of Things was a hard-to-put down, compelling tale and one of the most entertaining and engaging Catholic novels I’ve ever read, filled with rich language and beautiful imagery, as well as excellent (and brilliant) writing. There’s a definite Flannery O’Connor feel to it, but this novel was unlike any other Catholic novel I had ever read. As an NFP teacher and as a novelist whose own books’ themes center around the Theology of the Body, I was particular impressed with how well the aut...more
booklady
Well now Ryan, I really owe you one!

This was truly an amazing book! I don't think I've ever read a 'Catholic' book quite like this one before.

Most quote "Catholic novels" are very ... how shall I describe them, intellectual--those are my favorites. Then there are the tepid ones, which try to imitate modern thrillers but don't quite make it. And then the preachy ones, which I really despise. I've seldom read one like this.

The Mystery of Things scared me out of my chair a few times. It's X-rated...more
Kathleen Valentine
This is a beautiful book, deeply intelligent and rich with ideas. I must confess at times I felt overwhelmed by the ideas presented and found myself having to put it down for awhile to let my thoughts catch up. Reminds me a little of 2 of my favorite novels, Donna Tartt's "The Secret History" and A.S. Byatt's "Possession". Highly recommended for any looking for a captivating, multi-layered novel.
Jon Newswanger
Hooked from the first page of the prologue that I downloaded even before the book was available. Of course it helps that a good frind of mine wrote it, but that doesn't discount the great writing. (It does make me ask some questions about Debra, though! ;-) ) Reminds one a lot of a good Charles Williams metaphysical thriller.
Donovan
A thinking person's thriller.
LJ
THE MYSTERY OF THINGS (Amateur Sleuth-Milwaukee-Cont) - Ok
Murphy, Debra – 1st book
Idylls Press, 2004 – Hardcover
James Ireton is a bright Shakespearian scholar with a bright future. He is also struggling with his past, faith, a new relationship, the death of his mentor and nightmares of a knight, a lady and a dragon. Two men have now died by falling head-first from a height. Was it suicide?
*** This is a very difficult book for me to review as the author very kindly sent me her book. I was raised...more
Rosemarie
Great thriller! I'm not a Shakespeare scholar but despite my own ignorance, I enjoyed the book immensely! It's the first work of fiction to bring in JPII's Theology of the Body, and it does so in a poignant way. Very highly recommended - it's a page turner that I devoured in one weekend on the beach!
Debra
Jun 18, 2007 Debra rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in thrillers with Shakespearean or Catholic themes
I wrote this book! It's a contemporary mystery/thriller, set in a Catholic graduate studies institute, intertwining plots from Shakespeare plays and the St. George vs the Dragon story from Spenser's The Faerie Queene.

The date I "read" the book is the date it was first published.
Cora
Cora marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Christine Rowe
Christine Rowe marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Anna Rose
Anna Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Robert-amy
Robert-amy marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Ted Morgan
Ted Morgan marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2013
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Caleb
Caleb marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2012
Chidi OKORO
Chidi OKORO marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2012
Toulouse
Toulouse marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2012
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2012
Cris
Cris marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2012
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2012
Debra is an award-winning novelist, screenwriter, freelance writer, blogger, and web/print publisher in Ashland, Oregon.

Debra's current projects: the first in a five-part series of mythic Grail thrillers, set in the contemporary Pacific Northwest, and several screenplays with writing partner (and son) John Paul Murphy.
More about Debra Murphy...
The Man Who Was Thursday The Cardinal's Snuff-Box