Start by marking “Official Ubuntu Book: Barnes & Noble Special Edition, the” as Want to Read:
Official Ubuntu Book: Barnes & Noble Special Edition, the

Official Ubuntu Book: Barnes & Noble Special Edition, the

Barnes & Noble Special Edition Includes a Bonus DVD
Ubuntu is a complete, free operating system that emphasizes community, support, and ease of use without compromising speed, power, or flexibility. It s Linux for human beings designed for everyone from computer novices to experts. Ubuntu 9.04 is the latest release more powerful, more flexible, and friendlier than ever
Paperback, 4th edition, 528 pages
Published July 18th 2009 by Prentice Hall (first published August 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Official Ubuntu Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Official Ubuntu Book

Peter
Apr 23, 2008 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little odd to me, I'm not exactly sure who the target audience is supposed to be. The book does give a pretty good overview of all things Ubuntu, which is a good thing. However, it's a bit of a jump to go from a chapter that explains how to use an email client and firefox, to one discussing partition, LVM and editing fstab.

If you are an IT manager, or administrator and thinking about installing Ubuntu in your environment this book is probably good for you. If you are however, li
Chessa
Mar 09, 2009 Chessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, tech
Great starter book for newbies like me to Ubuntu and Linux in general. Comes with two CDs, one has the desktop version of ubuntu for trial/installation and the other is a server disc. I really liked reading the history of the project and about their philosophy. It's by nature and incomplete text, but it's a great starting point for installation and getting your feet wet - particularly if you're worried about not being able to access the internet while you're installing/troubleshooting. There is ...more
Tee Jay
Dec 12, 2010 Tee Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, very user friendly and easy to read. I thought I knew enough about Ubuntu to consider myself a semi-advanced user, but I still learned a lot from reading this book--especially when it comes to learning how to become involved. This book also provides great starting points, and points to resources for further research and learning on Ubuntu.
I highly recommend this book; it should be on both new and experienced Ubuntu users' shelves alike.
Catcheeto
Dec 28, 2009 Catcheeto rated it liked it
The book is a good over all, but glazes over a lot of detail. Was hoping for detailed tips, so far I have gotten a lot of things I can look up, so while helpful, not quite what I was looking for for me. I plan on handing it off to my dad who knows little about linux and probably benefit quite a bit.
Anthony Papillion
Loved this book! I've been generally working with various flavors of Linux since 2002 and thought I was pretty familiar with the OS and with Ubuntu in particular but I learned quite a bit from the book. Definitely a great read if you're wanting to get up to speed on the distro quickly or if you're an advanced user wanting a refresher on how great Ubuntu really is.
Ahmed Wahid
Feb 18, 2011 Ahmed Wahid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the one of the best book you may read if you want to start learning Ubuntu and you are a new member in Linux world but in some points you can feel that this book needs someone have a Linux background to understand and for this do not count only on this book to learn and understand the Ubuntu ( Linux) word , use some media from internet and visit Ubuntu forums .

4 Stars..

Carl Hamlin
Jul 06, 2008 Carl Hamlin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linux
For an 'official' book about the Ubuntu linux distribution, it barely scratches the surface. The information contained herein very much pertains to user level usage of the operating system and leaves out a lot of detail which would come in handy for those of us making heavier use of Ubuntu.
Joseph
Mar 06, 2011 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful beginning for anyone interested in Ubuntu and the history of the most popular Linux Distribution.

This book is intended as an overview for newcomers to Linux and the Ubuntu OS and Canonical's mission.

This is a perfect read for anyone that wants to know more about Ubuntu.
Owayss Kabtoul
Jun 29, 2012 Owayss Kabtoul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linux newbies
I remember flipping through the pages of this book and finding it utterly boring mainly because at that time (2011) I have already been using Ubuntu for two years. But if it's your first time switching to Ubuntu, it might provide a quick and easy start.
Igor
May 06, 2016 Igor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of it was interesting, including the background information.
Wasn't expecting to find a server section but there it was anyway :-) I skipped it because I'm just experimenting with a desktop version.
Ben
Jun 07, 2009 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
quite functional
Lio
Oct 29, 2010 Lio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very helpful .. first time you will be treated as a partner not a customer>> life is enjoyable with Open source culture :) ..
Zach D.
Aug 21, 2011 Zach D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it-recs
Great reference guide, got it for migration.
Elizabeth
condition adequate

how to use the ubuntu linux operating system
TaleofGenji
May 15, 2012 TaleofGenji marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Daisy
Mar 15, 2011 Daisy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, english
Interessante inleiding op het project Ubuntu en de hele filosofie daarachter. De praktische hoofdstukken zijn erg inleidend, dus voor diepgaandere kennis moet je op zoek naar een ander boek.
Ed
Jan 07, 2009 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great resource. It is the book to have with you whenever you are working with your computer.
Hamid
Oct 03, 2007 Hamid marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tttttttttttt
ffffffff
3at3o0ot
i want to read this book i feel it's amazing one
Shanell
Shanell rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Surya Kumar
Surya Kumar rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Alina
Alina rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Robert Postill
Robert Postill rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Joel
Joel rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2014
Mohammad Alzahrani
Mohammad Alzahrani rated it really liked it
May 31, 2010
Shaun
Shaun rated it really liked it
May 17, 2011
TK Goldenbaum
TK Goldenbaum rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2007
Hadinux
Hadinux rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2011
Timothy
Timothy rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2008
Aikoch
Aikoch rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2014
  • Classic Shell Scripting: Hidden Commands that Unlock the Power of Unix
  • Learning Android
  • Programming Python
  • HTML5 & CSS3 For The Real World
  • Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • Physics for Game Developers
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »